IGNORED

Midwest Gaming Classic '09

RJ

And really, the SyFy thing, while it's weird I get it -- they have expanded their content so much and really have some great stuff on that channel that isn't science fiction TV. I'm all for it :)

I just had to comment on this--I feel this is the beginning of the end for the "SciFi" channel. Wrestling (among other things) was just the start. SyFy? Really? There is tons of backlash against them for this and rightfully so. I hope someone else comes along and starts a new Science Fiction channel, instead of alienating their core viewership base with all the non-science fiction programming (wrestling? Really?) and stupid stunts like changing their name to "SyFy".

..Al

Sci-fi used have great shows on durring it launch: Farscape, Sliders(repeats) as well as some cool sci-fi movies.

comcast moved the station from it basic lineup to the digital lineup, thats about the time sci-fi starting going down hill

Good ol Farscape, man that was a great show :)

I just had to comment on this--I feel this is the beginning of the end for the "SciFi" channel. Wrestling (among other things) was just the start. SyFy? Really? There is tons of backlash against them for this and rightfully so. I hope someone else comes along and starts a new Science Fiction channel, instead of alienating their core viewership base with all the non-science fiction programming (wrestling? Really?) and stupid stunts like changing their name to "SyFy".
I was talking about this with some co-workers and came to the conclusion that they couldn't have picked a worse name if they tried. (One person online even joked that once he removes SyFy from his favorites, he'll be "Syfy-less". *groan*) I suggested that they should have gone through the trouble of obtaining rights to CyFi (indicative of cybernetics to geeks, but absolutely nothing to non-geeks) rather than buying out this "SyFy" clap-trap.

Sci-fi used have great shows on durring it launch: Farscape, Sliders(repeats) as well as some cool sci-fi movies.
Actually, SciFi bought the rights to Sliders and began producing new episodes. They started the whole Kromagg story arc and eventually replaced Quinn. Also, the SciFi Channel still shows original movies, but they've been crap ever since the NBC buyout. Rather than producing thoughtful SciFi on a shoe-string budget, they produce monster of the week garbage on a slightly larger budget.

And let me tell you, these movies are bad. My wife loves B-movies, but even she can't stand to sit through these abominations.

Of course, we're getting horribly off-topic here. I'm happy for their gaming coverage and can't wait to see them there!

I was talking about this with some co-workers and came to the conclusion that they couldn't have picked a worse name if they tried. (One person online even joked that once he removes SyFy from his favorites, he'll be "Syfy-less". *groan*) I suggested that they should have gone through the trouble of obtaining rights to CyFi (indicative of cybernetics to geeks, but absolutely nothing to non-geeks) rather than buying out this "SyFy" clap-trap.

Actually, SciFi bought the rights to Sliders and began producing new episodes. They started the whole Kromagg story arc and eventually replaced Quinn. Also, the SciFi Channel still shows original movies, but they've been crap ever since the NBC buyout. Rather than producing thoughtful SciFi on a shoe-string budget, they produce monster of the week garbage on a slightly larger budget.

And let me tell you, these movies are bad. My wife loves B-movies, but even she can't stand to sit through these abominations.

Of course, we're getting horribly off-topic here. I'm happy for their gaming coverage and can't wait to see them there!

yeah this topic went off topic, sci-fi used to have the new flash gordon show on it,but the company that produced it didn't renew it.

I forgot that sci-fi brought the rights to sliders, they also got the rights to one of my favorite Universal movies: it came from outer space

and they did the squeal to it as well.

I will attest to the sci fi movies that are so bad, even MST3K fans won't enjoy them. A lot of the movies seem to be originally produced, but not enough to warrant watching on their own for bad merits. I would be much more interested in watching bad classic sci fi movies like Starcrash, etc. But I honestly can't remember when I watched more than 1 minute of the Sci Fi channel. It all was the beginning of the end with wrestling shows.

thats news to me about the paypal issue. how about google checkout?
My understanding is that in 2007 (IIRC) Paypal saw a bunch of transactions all come from the same IP address and flagged them as fraudulent. They wouldn't accept the explanation that the transactions were from an expo, so a lot of vendors were stuck chasing down the purchasers to ask them to resubmit payment.

Okay, so a buyer with their own laptop, with their own IP, shouldn't they be able to pay like always? This is really the only thing keeping me from going right now. I can throw 500 listings at eBay the day before I leave, and spend off sales while I'm out of town. There isn't any time to sell, ship, transfer, all before the show. I was not even thinking about going but priceline has $211 roundtrip air and car combo with no advance purchase.

AX

Okay, so a buyer with their own laptop, with their own IP, shouldn't they be able to pay like always?
While at the show, you're probably using the hotel wireless. The hotel wireless is going to be routed through the same internet NAT router, giving everyone at the show the appearance of coming from the same IP address.

Okay, so a buyer with their own laptop, with their own IP, shouldn't they be able to pay like always?
While at the show, you're probably using the hotel wireless. The hotel wireless is going to be routed through the same internet NAT router, giving everyone at the show the appearance of coming from the same IP address.

Nope, I have my own mobile broadband... Guess I'll have to spend money where I can. Maybe a few members will take pity on me and let me paypal them.

AX

Okay I'm going, I have a flight into ORD and a rental car. Now I need a place to stay. I'm not thinking the $95 a day resort is a very good value. Anyone have any suggestions?

AX

a rental car from chicago,that expensive. as your driving up my guess any of the nearby hotels will be good for you.

I got round trip on American Airlines from Nashville, TN, to Chicago, IL, three days in a rental car (Impala, or Mustang) for $254 total with taxes, fees, and trip insurance.

AX

Edited by the.golden.ax

Okay I'm going, I have a flight into ORD and a rental car. Now I need a place to stay. I'm not thinking the $95 a day resort is a very good value. Anyone have any suggestions?

AX

a rental car from chicago,that expensive. as your driving up my guess any of the nearby hotels will be good for you.

I got round trip on American Airlines from Nashville, TN, to Chicago, IL, three days in a rental car (Impala, or Mustang) for $254 total with taxes, fees, and trip insurance.

AX

Or you can drive up near me & we can take my car.

Ok, I have AA/Atarifest badges for the following people:

bassguitari

carey85

crazyclimber

goatdan

Dan Iacovelli

jbanes

lapetino

longhorn

macbthpsw (yours also says Commodore Sucks)

mookighana

swingtown

tempest

the.golden.ax

vectorman

Please let me know if you're missing from the list, or would like to be added the last minute.

Also, feel free (in fact I encourage) you to bring any of your own games to play on the consoles/computers there that you'd like to share

with other AA members. I need to check what time the afterparty will start, as I have to coordinate it around another private one going on in the arcade hall. I also encourage you to bring snacks/drinks/whatever to share with your fellow AA members.

Or you can drive up near me & we can take my car.

Already paid for the ticket, car, and room. Where do you live. Come anyways.

I don't know too many people that are going, and I'm leaving the fam behind. Would be cool to have more AA members there.

AX

If I can grab another soul to come with me I might . Im in Cleveland. It would be about a 7hr drive I figure. I have a portable home "my element" so I wouldnt need a room if I do come alone, just a pickle jar! :ponder: .........in case I get hungry :D And I would bring afew boxes and stuff for you guys to see if you'd like.

Edited by nonner242

Dude you could just fly. Its $153 on Priceline for Cleavland to Chicago, $177 with a rental car for three days. If you drive it's $80 on gas (figuring 400miles there and back, at $2 a gallon.) You still won't have a place to stay but with a rental car.... you can always just sleep in that if you want to save the dough.

AX

wow only $25 to rent a car for 3 days? Thats really cheap!!! It would only cost me about $55 tops on gas to and back.

I wouldnt be able to even go till SAT if I can get off work, so I might only be there SUN. My car has plenty of sleeping space and gives me room to bring stuff,

And I dont have a pickup from the airport since GF outta town that week. Plus I can smoke while I drive....and blast my music as loud as I want.

PLUS........post-6530-1237440535_thumb.jpg

thats news to me about the paypal issue. how about google checkout?
My understanding is that in 2007 (IIRC) Paypal saw a bunch of transactions all come from the same IP address and flagged them as fraudulent. They wouldn't accept the explanation that the transactions were from an expo, so a lot of vendors were stuck chasing down the purchasers to ask them to resubmit payment.

Exactly. You can do it, it's just that if you do it there is a good chance that you will have to chase people around because PayPal is stupid. We actually called them to ask if they would unlock an IP address for the show last year, and they then started asking me questions like I was going to do fraudulent things, so...

You can try, and as long as not many people to it, it would theoretically work... But I wouldn't take the risk.

Okay, so a buyer with their own laptop, with their own IP, shouldn't they be able to pay like always? This is really the only thing keeping me from going right now. I can throw 500 listings at eBay the day before I leave, and spend off sales while I'm out of town. There isn't any time to sell, ship, transfer, all before the show. I was not even thinking about going but priceline has $211 roundtrip air and car combo with no advance purchase?

The problem is that the wireless goes to the hotel's IP address. If you have a cellular internet card, you'd be perfect.

There are a significant number of people who take credit cards at the show though, so that sorta works the same way. In fact, more people take credit cards than have ever accepted PayPal.

Okay, so a buyer with their own laptop, with their own IP, shouldn't they be able to pay like always? This is really the only thing keeping me from going right now. I can throw 500 listings at eBay the day before I leave, and spend off sales while I'm out of town. There isn't any time to sell, ship, transfer, all before the show. I was not even thinking about going but priceline has $211 roundtrip air and car combo with no advance purchase?

The problem is that the wireless goes to the hotel's IP address. If you have a cellular internet card, you'd be perfect.

There are a significant number of people who take credit cards at the show though, so that sorta works the same way. In fact, more people take credit cards than have ever accepted PayPal.

Verizon wireless card will do the trick ;)