IGNORED

What are some arcade games that were never made into a console version?

Zap!

Yie Ar Kung Fu - this one was on a GBA Konami classics cart and was also released on Xbox Live

Goonies 1 - this was released on the Famicom in Japan, but I don't know if it was released anywhere else.

I never saw goonies in the arcade. anyone else?

I know that it was in some of the Play Choice 10 machines, so not really an arcade version, no. But, technically in arcades, I suppose.

I know that it was in some of the Play Choice 10 machines, so not really an arcade version, no. But, technically in arcades, I suppose.

It wasn't just Play Choice 10. There was the Vs. System version of Goonies that I mentioned a few posts back in this thread, as well (this is the version I played at a Chuckie Cheese's). Vs. system games were NES/Famicom games ported to arcade (as far as I can tell anyway, date info on the net is misleading), but in some cases, the Vs. System versions differed from their NES counterparts. I like how they lack the annoying timed credit system of PC10 and had a more traditional non timed credit system.

It would be nice if some of those Vs. System games were ported, even if they are (as far as I know) technically ports. Duck Hunt had a nice bonus round where you could shoot the dog, Ice Climber (from what I heard) has more stages, Excitebike has more tracks and music (though this one was ported to FDS in Japan), and SMB was like a remix of SMB1 and SMB2j with harder versions of SMB1 levels.

Edited by BrianC

Yie Ar Kung Fu - this one was on a GBA Konami classics cart and was also released on Xbox Live

Goonies 1 - this was released on the Famicom in Japan, but I don't know if it was released anywhere else.

I never saw goonies in the arcade. anyone else?

oh yea. but it was on the NES, first. doesnt really qualify for this thread. :)

• 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What about Quantum or The Empire Strikes Back? I don't remember either of those Atari arcade games being ported.

Are we counting homebrews? Because Fury made the Cinematronics games War Of The Worlds, Sundance and Warrior for the Vectrex but otherwise I don't think those, or Boxing Bugs, were officially ported.

I wonder if the Gremlin game Blasto was ever ported, graphically you could do it on anything. Would be a cool 2600 homebrew if it isn't on that system yet.

As for Sega, what about Zektor, Space Firebird, Space Fury or Eliminator? Space Fury got a Vectrex homebrew but I don't think the others did.

As for Sega, what about Zektor, Space Firebird, Space Fury or Eliminator? Space Fury got a Vectrex homebrew but I don't think the others did.

As already mentioned Space Fury was on the Colecovision.

Zektor and Eliminator are on collection discs that Sega did a few years back for the PS2 and PSP. Zektor is in the PS2 version and Eliminator is in the PSP version. Space Fury is also on the PSP disc.

I think there was some company back in the day that announced a home version of Elminator, but I think it's one of those which has disappeared into the mists of time.

As already mentioned Space Fury was on the Colecovision.

Zektor and Eliminator are on collection discs that Sega did a few years back for the PS2 and PSP. Zektor is in the PS2 version and Eliminator is in the PSP version. Space Fury is also on the PSP disc.

I think there was some company back in the day that announced a home version of Elminator, but I think it's one of those which has disappeared into the mists of time.

Ah. Shows how little I know of even my favorite era, I was never a fan of the Colecovision, not sure why.

Man, Eliminator would be great on the Atari 5200 or the Atari 800 computer since it had a 4-player option in the arcades. How cool would that be? Someone should homebrew that...

A lot to take in, so my apology if I repeat any from this years-old conversation. I find it an interesting one :)

- Mr. Do's Wild Ride

- Do! Run Run

- Radar Scope

- Pac-Man Plus (other than homebrews & that all-in-one joystick thingie)

Always was a bit surprised Rally-X didn't see a port back in the day, too. First I know of was when it popped up in the Namco Museums for the PlayStation 1.

Notable by its long, long absence (in my opinion) - Mr. Do's Castle. Other than a hardly seen cellphone version in the pre-iPhone days, there's not been a port of that one since around the industry crash.

Not sure if the following has been mentioned but Cadillac and Dinosaurs........the game is awesome!There is game which came out on the sega cd but the gameplay is entirely different.

I never heard of that one, looks pretty cool!

Time Killers never got a proper release. I would have loved to have seen a Saturn version. I loved the arcade, although most people apparently disagree.

Edited by Zap!