IGNORED

WUDSN IDE: The free integrated Atari 8-bit development plugin for Eclipse

On 12/18/2022 at 3:30 PM, flashjazzcat said:

'Update software' picked up an update from the WUDSN site, so I went ahead and let it install, and it's completely nuked the WUDSN plugin (Assembler options have disappeared). Reinstallation after uninstallation is not working either. Time to grab those backups. :)

EDIT: OK - the backup installation was older and the graphics converter actually works better now. ;)

Yes, I'm really sorry for the mess. I have been working hard to get the correct parts from the different backups. At the same time I had to update Joomla and PHP to more recent versions. Just too many loose ends at the same time. But at least now the CMS and PHP are be current (4.x/8.x) and working (with less modifications than previously, so future updates are easier). Next is really to build an IDE version and perform test installs, but that'll after X-Mas only.

• Like 4

On Sunday I started reworking the structure of the update side, the related scripts, the installation and the installation guides.
Changes:

Result:
The new update site is https://www.wudsn.com/update/stable instead of https://www.wudsn.com/update.
Now I can finally publish a new version with just a few clicks instead of hours of error prone manual processes and exceptions.
It's not yet final and I know that the configuration of the emulators doesn't work yet.
But at least I was able to track down the bug of 1.7.2 where the path the executable for the assemblers was not taken into account.
To simplify the configuration - and make the whole thing work out of the box even when the installation folders are different -

I've not also implemented the defaulting for the paths to the assemblers on the different operating systems.
You can see the expected paths in the new "Default Paths" row of the assembler help.
They are of course in sync with the https://github.com/peterdell/wudsn-ide-tools#readme repository of assemblers and compilers.

image.thumb.png.d23d640fd048d5bd10178c51afe5efbe.png

Way forward:

So I'd like to encourage you to read the new https://www.wudsn.com/index.php/ide/installation page and try out the new installer (currently Windows only) and tell me what you think or found.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Update: New Installer 

Installer now works on macOS, too. JDK updated to 19.0.1, Eclipse Platform updated to 4.26.

On macOS (64-bit Intel or ARM/M1), download wudsn.sh to the folder and run it.

Note: Installer is tested with both macOS versions.  I found automatic default paths don't work yet correctly, so you have to configure the compiler paths for now.

Once I've fixed that, I'll do new "How to install" video.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

New installer didn't work for me on Windows. Here's the relevant error lines:

Unpacking wudsn-ide-tools-main.zip to C:\Programs\WUDSN\Install.
wudsn-ide-tools-main/ASM/DASM/test/cmdline_defs/declare_var_mac.asm: Can't create '\\\\?\\C:\\Programs\\WUDSN\\Install\\wudsn-ide-tools-main\\ASM\\DASM\\test\\cmdline_defs\\declare_var_mac.asm'
wudsn-ide-tools-main/ASM/DASM/test/delete_empty_binary.asm: Can't create '\\\\?\\C:\\Programs\\WUDSN\\Install\\wudsn-ide-tools-main\\ASM\\DASM\\test\\delete_empty_binary.asm'
wudsn-ide-tools-main/ASM/DASM/test/m_switch_2.asm: Can't create '\\\\?\\C:\\Programs\\WUDSN\\Install\\wudsn-ide-tools-main\\ASM\\DASM\\test\\m_switch_2.asm'
wudsn-ide-tools-main/ASM/DASM/test/m_switch_3.asm: Can't create '\\\\?\\C:\\Programs\\WUDSN\\Install\\wudsn-ide-tools-main\\ASM\\DASM\\test\\m_switch_3.asm'
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.
Copying files to C:\Programs\WUDSN\Tools.
1918 File(s) copied
Removing folder wudsn-ide-tools-main.
Installing Eclipse.
Downloading eclipse-platform-4.19-win32-x86_64.zip from https://www.wudsn.com/productions/java/ide/downloads/eclipse-platform-4.19-win32-x86_64.zip.
Unpacking eclipse-platform-4.19-win32-x86_64.zip to C:\Programs\WUDSN\Tools\IDE\Eclipse.
tar: Error opening archive: Unrecognized archive format

Looks like there's some corruption at the beginning of the paths and it's trying to use tar for zip files

Happy new year everyone!

Yesterday I tried to use the Windows install .exe but got pretty much the same issues as @dukdukgoos got. So I downloaded the original .bat file from https://github.com/peterdell/wudsn-ide-install (I assume @JAC! uses a .bat->.exe converter on this) and modified it slightly so it can download the eclipse zip from another source. Then (with some other minor modifications) everything worked fine.

I've attached my version of the .bat file, but please note that this is just an emergency fix until Peter sorts out his server to host the eclipse .zip.

Now, the reason I attempted to install it yesterday was to see how hard it would be to add support for rmac to the IDE. It's probably nothing too difficult, but I'd need a working java SDK installation first (I assume!). Then I'll probably send a patch or pull request :).

wudsn.bat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dukdukgoos said:

New installer didn't work for me on Windows. Here's the relevant error lines:
Downloading eclipse-platform-4.19-win32-x86_64.zip from https://www.wudsn.com/productions/java/ide/downloads/eclipse-platform-4.19-win32-x86_64.zip.
Unpacking eclipse-platform-4.19-win32-x86_64.zip to C:\Programs\WUDSN\Tools\IDE\Eclipse.
tar: Error opening archive: Unrecognized archive format

Looks like there's some corruption at the beginning of the paths and it's trying to use tar for zip files

This was an incomplete back-port of the macOS changes (.sh) to the .bat file. Array handling in CMD is even weirder than bash.
Anyway, it was reported with https://github.com/peterdell/wudsn-ide-install/issues/1 and is now fixed.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 8:29 AM, achtbits said:

I've attached a screenshot of the hex editor and actually I think it uses the Atari TTF font, it's just very small and blurry. 

Also there's nothing in the .metadata/.log file related to this, here is the context when starting eclipse and displaying the hex editor:

!SESSION 2021-11-04 08:22:49.958 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=4.21.0.I20210906-0500
java.version=17
java.vendor=Eclipse Adoptium
BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86_64, WS=cocoa, NL=de_DE
Framework arguments:  -keyring /Users/hermann/.eclipse_keyring
Command-line arguments:  -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -keyring /Users/hermann/.eclipse_keyring

!ENTRY org.eclipse.oomph.p2.core 2 0 2021-11-04 08:22:52.208
!MESSAGE Failed to register the thread safe credentials providers: 'java.util.Map org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.AdapterManager.getFactories()'

Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-04 um 08.09.59.png

Will be tracked with https://github.com/peterdell/wudsn-ide/issues/3 

Fixes
The hex editor font issue fixed in daily version by adding an explicit setting to select the font size for the different charsets on Atari and Commodore platform:
It will be released when the documentation is completed.

Linux Installer
Besides that I've managed to setup my Linux VM on my MacBook Pro and have setup a complete development environment there. 
This enables me to now developed and test WUDSN and the related tools on all 3 platforms in parallel.
All synced via github (no more USB stick swapping, yeah) where I now also put all feature requests.

So Linux guys, it not long ahead (I hope), here's your first commit for the installer 🙂

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

WUDSN.EXE finished

I've switched to a commercial tool (https://www.battoexeconverter.com/) for creating the Windows executable. With this you no longer need to exclude WUDSN from your Windows Defender scans or similar virus scanners. Also the parsing of the options has been improved.

• Like 4

Sorry if this is a stupid question but do I need to have Eclipse installed before running the script or does it install Eclipse as well? If it's the former, which version of Eclipse do I need?

I had this up and running a couple of years ago but somehow broke it and now have troubles to re-install. 

53 minutes ago, slx said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question but do I need to have Eclipse installed before running the script or does it install Eclipse as well? If it's the former, which version of Eclipse do I need?

I had this up and running a couple of years ago but somehow broke it and now have troubles to re-install. 

The new script download and sets up everything you need in the folder where the script is started. No other steps are required.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JAC! said:

The new script download and sets up everything you need in the folder where the script is started. No other steps are required.

When I download the script file into a new folder (path name without spaces), make it executable with chmod 755 and run it I get "Checking installation in <my path>" followed by ERROR: Invalid install mode ''..

Strange because I think it worked when I tried it shortly after your first post on the Mac script.

22 hours ago, slx said:

When I download the script file into a new folder (path name without spaces), make it executable with chmod 755 and run it I get "Checking installation in <my path>" followed by ERROR: Invalid install mode ''..

Strange because I think it worked when I tried it shortly after your first post on the Mac script.

macOS and Linux are using the same script and I didn't retest on macOS after some changes for Linux.
There was a wrong "!" in test for the specified installation mode. This fixed with this commit now.

Request for Feedback

https://github.com/peterdell/wudsn-ide/issues/10 - Key binding conflict with Ctrl+Shift+0 on Windows

The default key binding for "Compiler/Compile" is Ctrl+Shift+9 and for "Compiler/Compile and Run" it is Ctrl-Shift-0.
They come from a time when I was used to my Amiga 500 keyboard.
In recent Windows versions this binding was reported to not work because of conflicts with native Windows functions.

Phaeron reported similar issues in the context of Altirra "This is likely due to an annoying default in Windows where Ctrl+Shift+0 is by default bound to a key to switch between input languages. It appears that on Windows 10, this can cause the emulator to only receive the character event without the key down event, resulting in a regular 0 getting typed instead. You can see this with the HOSTKEYS logging channel enabled. The offending setting is in Settings > Devices > Typing > Advanced Keyboard Settings > Input Language Hot Keys on Windows 10, or the Text Services and Input Languages control panel in earlier versions"

One proposal was use the standard Eclipse key binding instead which is:

• F11 and Ctrl-F11 on Windows (would be OK)
  • Fn-Cmd-F11 and Shift-Fn-Cmd-F11 on a MacBook Pro (3 or even 4 keys because of Fn, but Fn-Cmd-F11 is close to Ctrl-Shift-0)

Other standards:

• F8 (Run in many Environments incl. Altirra)
  • F5 (Debug in Visual Studio, but already taken by "Refresh" in Eclipse, Browsers, etc., not possible)

Request:

Before I change anything, I'd like to hear your experiences and feedback

- Do / did you have that issue on Windows or other operating systems in the past? E.g. did "Compile/Compiler and Run" not work when using the key binding?

- Did you reconfigure the key binding in the past?

- Which would be your preferred binding (please also specify your operating system)

Please comment here on directly in the issue.

Thanks for your support, Peter.

• Like 1

• I was affected by this (I imagine everyone on Windows with an extra keyboard installed would be)
  • I remapped to Ctrl-Shift-8 and -9 (just moved everything down one key to avoid 0)
  • What I did worked fine if you want to keep it pretty close to how it was before. I'd be fine with the F11/Ctrl-F11 as it's Eclipse standard too
Edited by dukdukgoos
  • Thanks 1

Eek. After installing the latest Eclipse build (to test dark theme) and doing a clean install of WUDSN, I come to assemble something and the assembler options are completely missing. Help?

EDIT: Found it. They moved the assembler options to Languages->Assembler. Phew.

Edited by flashjazzcat

On 2/5/2023 at 11:46 PM, JAC! said:

Request for Feedback

https://github.com/peterdell/wudsn-ide/issues/10 - Key binding conflict with Ctrl+Shift+0 on Windows

The default key binding for "Compiler/Compile" is Ctrl+Shift+9 and for "Compiler/Compile and Run" it is Ctrl-Shift-0.
They come from a time when I was used to my Amiga 500 keyboard.
In recent Windows versions this binding was reported to not work because of conflicts with native Windows functions.

Phaeron reported similar issues in the context of Altirra "This is likely due to an annoying default in Windows where Ctrl+Shift+0 is by default bound to a key to switch between input languages. It appears that on Windows 10, this can cause the emulator to only receive the character event without the key down event, resulting in a regular 0 getting typed instead. You can see this with the HOSTKEYS logging channel enabled. The offending setting is in Settings > Devices > Typing > Advanced Keyboard Settings > Input Language Hot Keys on Windows 10, or the Text Services and Input Languages control panel in earlier versions"

One proposal was use the standard Eclipse key binding instead which is:

• F11 and Ctrl-F11 on Windows (would be OK)
  • Fn-Cmd-F11 and Shift-Fn-Cmd-F11 on a MacBook Pro (3 or even 4 keys because of Fn, but Fn-Cmd-F11 is close to Ctrl-Shift-0)

Other standards:

• F8 (Run in many Environments incl. Altirra)
  • F5 (Debug in Visual Studio, but already taken by "Refresh" in Eclipse, Browsers, etc., not possible)

Request:

Before I change anything, I'd like to hear your experiences and feedback

- Do / did you have that issue on Windows or other operating systems in the past? E.g. did "Compile/Compiler and Run" not work when using the key binding?

- Did you reconfigure the key binding in the past?

- Which would be your preferred binding (please also specify your operating system)

Please comment here on directly in the issue.

Thanks for your support, Peter.

Hi @JAC!,

I use WUDSN on Linux, but use it with atari800, which binds F8 to starting the Monitor (=debugger, not display unit). So using F8 might be a bit confusing if you're cycling between WUDSN and atari800. F11 is bound to the window manager (KDE) maximize window, so I'm not even sure it would be available for use with WUDSN. Shift-F11 and Shift-F12 seem to be free in both atari800 and KDE, but I have no idea about any other platform's use of those keys. 

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2023 at 1:08 PM, flashjazzcat said:

Even when '.s' files are associated with MADS, while source file tabs have the correct icon, resources in the project do not:

icons.png.8e4237292f75d0b9680710a20be11864.png

2037515915_Eclipseversion.png.522f5cbe52815befe996e420ff14220f.png

1144919324_WUDSNversion.thumb.png.6ce3f58c4ab2dc61ddbf86eddceb51f2.png

Info: This was, because the C++ version of Eclipse was installed here and that one binds ".s" files as default. Recommendation is to use the installer of the plain platform version of Eclipse mentioned on the "Installation" page.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2023 at 4:19 PM, E474 said:

Hi @JAC!,

I use WUDSN on Linux, but use it with atari800, which binds F8 to starting the Monitor (=debugger, not display unit). So using F8 might be a bit confusing if you're cycling between WUDSN and atari800. F11 is bound to the window manager (KDE) maximize window, so I'm not even sure it would be available for use with WUDSN. Shift-F11 and Shift-F12 seem to be free in both atari800 and KDE, but I have no idea about any other platform's use of those keys. 

Hope this helps.

Thanks, that is valuable input.

On 2/6/2023 at 1:25 PM, dukdukgoos said:
  • I remapped to Ctrl-Shift-8 and -9 (just moved everything down one key to avoid 0)
  • What I did worked fine if you want to keep it pretty close to how it was before. 

Thanks a lot, I like this a lot (but tend to use swap 8 and 9 also) and based on the other feedback tests, that's probably the only consistent cross-platform option.