IGNORED

Giant Label Variation PHOTO Website. Check it out!

Philflound

Plastic labels for the most part are the paper labels with a plastic coating.

It might make more sense to refer to plastic labels such as these as "hi-gloss" labels, or something similar, rather than "plastic". Atari labels seem to come in a range of glossiness--flat, hi-, and even semi-.

BTW, I own that MGP variant as well, and the main label is hi-gloss. Actually, many of the Atari, Corp. variants have hi-gloss main labels.

I agree. My MGP is like glossy paper but my Combat is laminated.

Maybe this will help clarify my confusion with the Asteroids variations. The scan of the front labels are my three basic types.

Lets focus on the first one on the left. It is the one with the rock not fully on the label that lacks the copyright start screen. Your description says "white with black behind numbers" but if you look at the first cx number scan on the left you see more blue than the others. It is almost completely blue. The only black is behind the 4 from the black of that strange asteroid that looks completely different than the asteroids behind the cx numbers of the other variations.

Now lets focus on the middle label in the scan. It's cx number is the scan in the top middle. It's cx number has the most blue outline. It isn't fully outlined but more so than the others. What it has in common with the label with the rock not fully on the label is the distance game program is from the top of the label. They are both closer to the top of the label than the last label on the right. The last label on the right has a bigger gap between the top of the label and game program. You can also see this from the bottom of the labels. The last label on the right has the picture and program contents © 1981 Atari Inc. closer to the bottom than the other two.

Now lets focus on the last label on the right. It's cx number scans are the last three(two on the right and bottom middle) because I have three carts with this front label. All three cx numbers are identical. They all have the same three blue spots. One is inside the top of the c, one is inside the bottom of the 2, and one is between the tops of 4 and 9. What it has in common with the middle label is the three blue spots in the cx number but the middle label's scan has the added partial blue outline. Another thing they have in common is the distance between the picture and program contents © 1981 Atari Inc. They are closer but the one with the rock not fully on the label has a bigger gap between the picture and program contents © 1981 Atari Inc.

So far it seems that these three labels are different variations but the last one I own three and one of those has the bold end label font. It is the bottom one of the end label scans. So that would make it four variations and one double but for the life of me I can't figure out how they match yours.

EDIT: YOU MAY HAVE TROUBLE SEEING WHICH SCANS I'M TALKING ABOUT BECAUSE THE SCANS MOVED WHEN I POSTED THIS. SORRY. THE TOP TWO ARE THE FIRST TWO I TALKED ABOUT AND THE BOTTOM THREE ARE THE IDENTICAL ONES.

post-28856-0-73043000-1302429154_thumb.jpg

post-28856-0-36172000-1302429189_thumb.jpg

post-28856-0-99622100-1302429222_thumb.jpg

post-28856-0-80942200-1302429234_thumb.jpg

post-28856-0-59933300-1302429253_thumb.jpg

post-28856-0-96923000-1302429259_thumb.jpg

post-28856-0-81300400-1302433907_thumb.jpg

Edited by Schizophretard

You've gotten too complicated with the Asteroids labels. I think I may have to reword it similar to Yars Revenge. When I say black behind the numbers, it meant that you can see through the product number. The blue behind the number was that it was "filled in" with a blue color and you can't see through it.

Phil

LOL! That clears it up a bit. :dunce: The close-ups of labels a-d is what made it hard to see what you were saying. They are too fuzzy. Now I know that all of them are not filled in or outlined but I'm still left with the same four variations from the other differences because of the placement of things on the main label and bold end label font.

Actually I haven't gotten to Asteroids as I'm still going backwards and am on Pac-Man. As I'm redoing all my games, I'm taking a closer look at what variations are already listed and if I have any new ones. I've gotten a few collections so I'm doing through many carts.

I have a question though. Let's start with the Asteroids label that has the rock half in the picture and half out, which is the one on the left of your first photo. Are you stating that you think there are variations with this with the CX number or placement of the copyright? If so, clarify this one first for me. After that is clear, we can move on. As you see on my label list, I mention that there are font differences for the half asteroid variation a, but I'm not showing them.

Phil

Variations of the cx number I don't know because I have only one half rock, variations of copy right(and everything else not in the picture) yes. I'll explain but I want you to know that I finally understand the blue, black, and blue outline now. Also, I dug through an Ebay lot of mine and found two more Asteroids to help show what I'm seeing.

The scans below are all of my Asteroids. They include one half rock version a and six version b variations with black "behind" the numbers. Of those six there are two main label variations that are not in the picture but outside of the picture. One of those six has the bold end label and the half rock has it's own outside of picture variation.

Look at the scan below with the three carts and the half rock in the middle. Ignore the pictures. The asteroids, cx numbers, Earth, and space ship don't exist. The pictures are blank rounded squares. How do you tell which is the half rock? By the PROGRAM CONTENTS © 1981 ATARI, INC. location. All six of the version b's have it almost touching the bottom of the picture but the half rock has a bigger gap. That's what gives it it's own outside of picture variation but other than that it is identical to the two that are beside it.

Now lets focus on the versions b's. Look at the scan with the four version b's. Blank out those pictures also. Now we shouldn't be able to tell the difference between these four and the two next to the half rock because they are all the same variation right? Wrong. I can still tell them apart. Look at the distance between the PROGRAM CONTENTS © 1981 ATARI, INC. and the bottoms of the labels. The two next to the half rock have the PROGRAM CONTENTS © 1981 ATARI, INC. far away from the bottom of the labels and the four others have PROGRAM CONTENTS © 1981 ATARI, INC. close to the bottom of the labels. Now look at the distance between game program TM and the tops of the labels. The two next to the half rock have the game program TM closer to the tops of the labels and the four others have the game program TM farther away from the tops of the labels.

In short. All three labels including the half rock are more centered in the black background and all four labels of the other labels are shifted down in the black background. In my opinion, there are at least two variations of version b. It looks more than slight shifting printing errors and because I was looking so close "behind" the cx numbers I can tell them all apart by a close up scan of the cx numbers. The small blue spots around the cx numbers correlates with all three of these variations like fingerprints. I have one version a, two centered version b's and four down shifted version b's. Your version b is down shifted.

The bold end label I'm lost on. Mine is on one of my down shifted version b's but atariguide has it on a centered version b. Maybe there are four variations of b. Centered, centered bold, down shifted, and down shifted bold. Or maybe it is an end label on other variations also. If you're having trouble telling the difference between bold and regular then look at the a,r, and d. The gaps where the letters almost touch themselves is smaller on the bold ones. Also, you can clearly see that the TM is more bold and inside the o is smaller. It is hard to tell the end labels apart if you're not holding them together. If you don't own a bold one then look at the ASTEROIDS on the main label because they are the same.

post-28856-0-64395900-1302518945_thumb.jpg

post-28856-0-53167100-1302518965_thumb.jpg

post-28856-0-23110000-1302518978_thumb.jpg

Actually if you are referring to distances from the bottom of the label or the top of the label, then I'm probably going to say that it isn't a variation. That would have to do with the cutting of the label, saying one was cut closer to the bottom of the picture than another. That wouldn't be a variation. Now, if you said the copyright on both labels were 1/2" from the bottom, being equal with printing, and then one of the Game Programs at the top was say 1/2" and another was 3/4" away, then it would be a variation because it would have nothing to do with where the label was cut, but rather how the label was printed.

When we usually do distance variations, we choose where something is printed in location to another printed part of the label. Say copyright distance from the bottom of the picture, or Game Program distance from the top of the picture. I'll come up with something soon to give you the specific example as I can't think of it off the top of my head, but would have to look at the giant list.

As for the end labels, I'll have to review what I have in stock. I probably only have 20 or 25 loose copies of Asteroids along with like 15 boxed copies, so I should be able to discern if any variations do exist. I may have just put one general end label for all variations whereas I may have to put say the BOLD TM version on 1/2 rock label. If reviewing all my 1/2 rock versions, I may come up with some have bold, some have medium, some have thin font, then I would create more variations in the list. The problem I always have with end label variations is that it's too easy to just glue one thin font on a 1/2 rock or a bold font to a full rock, so you in essence create your own variations. Things like the Missile Command and Video Pinball with the small/large titles on both main and end labels are a perfect example. You can create any combination you want simply by gluing different end labels.

Phil

But I can tell where they were cut just by close up scans of the cx numbers. I guess that means that they are different font sizes. These are version b's. Since I only have one half rock and you're not listing all your different font size cx numbered ones I can't see if it is the same with the half rocks. If you have time can you do me a favor? Can you see if there is a correlation with the half rock cx number font sizes and where they decided to cut them? Why is cutting not a variation?

Edit: Can you clarify more how you tell the difference between cutting and printing?

Edited by Schizophretard

Okay, I see what you're saying. I just don't get why a small difference like a blue dot in a 9 counts but the entire label shifted down doesn't all because it was cut instead of printed. The definition of variation is something slightly different from another of the same type. If I can take a pile of carts, separate them into two stacks, then it seems like they would be two different variations.

I don't collect those other things but it seems strange to me that a typo would count but a miscut wouldn't. I don't see why one error would count and another wouldn't.

Anyway, in atarimuseum.com I found this in their variations list:

Asteroids CX2649 C 3 5

Black ©1981, C1, atari logo black, cx2649 white, bottom asteroid

halfway inside picture

fully inside picture

fully inside picture, blue outline around everything in pic

fully inside picture, E: larger, fatter font

1 Black-p ©1981, C1, atari logo black, cx2649 white, E: "Asteroids p"

2 Silver1 ©1986, C2, E: plastic label

red2 C3, ©1979, glossy labels, PAL

Boxed ©1981, © outside the white warranty box

Boxed ©1981, © inside the white warranty box

Boxed ©1986, no warranty box, printed in Taiwan

That looks like it would be a version b, mine is a version b, and atariguide's is a version b. It appears to me that the bolder font belongs on the version b.

Just got a small batch of sealed games, a couple for the 2600. I got 3 different copies of boxed Dig Dug. 2 of them are new variations that I'll be scanning soon. One is a 1987 Made in Hong Kong, the other is 1988 Made in Hong Kong. I'll get these done soon. I haven't gotten to adding all the other variations from last week. Things came up but I'll be working on it over the next few days.

Also got a new version of the 1988 Printed in Hong Kong/Made in Hong Kong Kangaroo 6 language box. I'm going to have to describe the copyright info on the back. The original that is on the website has a 3 line copyright, this new one has 4.

Phil

Edited by Philflound

Just got a small batch of sealed games, a couple for the 2600. I got 3 different copies of boxed Dig Dug. 2 of them are new variations that I'll be scanning soon. One is a 1987 Made in Hong Kong, the other is 1988 Made in Hong Kong. I'll get these done soon. I haven't gotten to adding all the other variations from last week. Things came up but I'll be working on it over the next few days.

Also got a new version of the 1988 Printed in Hong Kong/Made in Hong Kong Kangaroo 6 language box. I'm going to have to describe the copyright info on the back. The original that is on the website has a 3 line copyright, this new one has 4.

Phil

Do you ever open the sealed ones?

I'm going through my US GAMES/VIDTEC. I'm having to rely on the pdf since you don't have any pictures up. I hope you decide to add pictures. If you need scans I can provide some because I have at least one of most of the games.

For Commando Raid you only have:

no ©, black label, Made in Taiwan, CART: square cartridge, 3 lines on bottom of notches, notches remain same thickness from bottom to top.

I have one with the notch that thins toward the point and only has 1 line protruding along the bottom.

I'm having trouble with the colors on Space Jockey. I have nine of them. I have a spectrum from light blue to dark blue on the top border. Fading is probably involved so I'm having trouble separating them. You don't have any purple ones but three of mine look purple. I having a similar problem with the sky. The Earth ranges from puke green to light green to a bright green. You have 12 listings for it and that makes it very hard to sort though without pictures.

For Squeeze Box you only have:

©1982, blue label, Made in Taiwan, CART: square cartridge, 3 lines on bottom of notches, notches remain same thickness from bottom to top

I have two variations, yours and one that has the 3 lines on the bottom of notches but it thins toward a point. This is a versions of the notches that you don't have listed.

I have noticed that some of the 3 lined notches have a thinner middle notch. Is this a variation?

Guys, I'm lost here.

Please help me out with the Asteroids labels.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the three different label types scanned above by Schizo are the three different ones known to exist by now, right?

Exactly how do they compare to the scans on our game page?

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-asteroids_7379.html

I would like to replace the scans on our page with the correct ones, but it's confusing to say the least.

8)

Guys, I'm lost here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the three different label types scanned above by Schizo are the three different ones known to exist by now, right?

I would like to replace the scans on our page with the correct ones, but it's confusing to say the least.

8)

From what I understand there are four. The half rock one, the one not filled in or outlined in blue cx #, the one with the cx # filled in with blue, and the one filled in and outlined with blue. It looks to me like you have all four(kinda five because you have the one not filled in or outlined in blue cx # with both the thin and thick end label font.) From what I can tell it looks like your first scan is the same main label as the next two with the two different font size end labels so the first scan isn't needed. The second two has the same main label but two different font size end labels. I believe them to be correct. The next three scans after those two are the one with the cx # filled in with blue, the one filled in and outlined by blue, and the half rock. It all looks correct to me but I believe the first scan isn't needed. You do need to start telling people to clean their carts and scanners though. :)

Edited by Schizophretard

Guys, I'm lost here.

8)

From what I understand there are four. The half rock one, the one not filled in or outlined in blue cx #, the one with the cx # filled in with blue, and the one filled in and outlined with blue. It looks to me like you have all four(kinda five because you have the one not filled in or outlined in blue cx # with both the thin and thick end label font.) From what I can tell it looks like your first scan is the same main label as the next two with the two different font size end labels so the first scan isn't needed. The second two has the same main label but two different font size end labels. I believe them to be correct. The next three scans after those two are the one with the cx # filled in with blue, the one filled in and outlined by blue, and the half rock. It all looks correct to me but I believe the first scan isn't needed. You do need to start telling people to clean their carts and scanners though. :)

Ok, thanks.

I'll replace them by the better scans.

8)

Alright, I'm off next week since it's spring break and I can't get a substitute job since my school district is closed. I got a small batch of 12 boxed games in yesterday. I discovered something which I'm going to clarify here about the whole Aopak San Francisco vs Bertco printing companies.

I received a few new boxes and compared them to the old ones. It seems that Aopak and Bertco were two of the most used printers when it came to making the Atari boxes with a couple of other companies. What I'm going to try and do is put this in the general variation section under Atari 2600 section like I did with other items. At least people would be able to see everything I've been talking about.

I'm going to scan the end flaps that show the various companies and what to look for. It seems from what I'm viewing that when two boxes are exactly the same (I can't find any difference in printing) except for one is by Bertco and the other Aopak, that Bertco's box has a lighter shade of color. Also, it seems that when the product number(s) that are on the other tiny flap across from the printer are printed, most of the time Aopak prints them horiztonally and Bertco prints them vertically, or the other way around depending on which direction you define. I also discover that the tiny flaps that the product numbers and printer are on are sometimes colored differently for each company.

Since I've made a stink on the printer for the past few months, I thought it would be best to make sure everyone who looks at the variation list and sees the listing with these fully understood what was going on. Bertco's logo sort of looks like a clock with the 12 numbers going in a circle and the month it was printed is missing. The year is somewhere near the clock. Aopak I've seen two versions. One is the logo with just a number printed below it representing the month and I think the year too. The other has a logo and lists all 12 numbers on 2 lines, with the missing number of course being the month printed. I'm going to try and work on this and get everything up within 2-3 days. I have 2 huge stacks of boxed games that are in my way and I need to put away, so I need to get organized once again. Also, I sold a few games and need to scan and get those back up that I still have in stock.

So please bear with me as I get things finished. Thanks.

Phil

The VIDEO PINPALL on the left is just like your version d)* R PicBl ©1981, CART1, ML: EL: upper case letters, whole left side of Atari logo outside machine except for maybe a small insignificant shifting. The one on the right is the same but Atari and the cx number are level with the bottom reddish bar, the ® is completely inside the orange bar, the three orange bars pointing down are farther away from the bottom of the picture, the balls on top are closer to the top of the picture, and the two balls that are mostly cut out of the picture are cut out in different spots. Is the one on the right a different variation than version d?

post-28856-0-84360900-1303208553_thumb.jpg