IGNORED

Giant Label Variation PHOTO Website. Check it out!

Philflound

Ok, here is an interesting one.

Same main label as version g, same end label as version f.

post-12364-0-93880200-1328996626_thumb.jpg

post-12364-0-65864900-1328996633_thumb.jpg

What's interesting about this one is that it has a free moving PCB protector, but it's not a slit like the normal cart2, it's got a cart1 face on it, but doesn't lock or have a dust cover on it. It's the bottom one in the next scan:

post-12364-0-15299100-1328996715_thumb.jpg

Cart type 4?

• Like 1

Ok, here is an interesting one.

Same main label as version g, same end label as version f.

post-12364-0-93880200-1328996626_thumb.jpg

post-12364-0-65864900-1328996633_thumb.jpg

What's interesting about this one is that it has a free moving PCB protector, but it's not a slit like the normal cart2, it's got a cart1 face on it, but doesn't lock or have a dust cover on it. It's the bottom one in the next scan:

post-12364-0-15299100-1328996715_thumb.jpg

Cart type 4?

Problem with having end labels is that it's very easy to glue any end label onto a cart and call it a variation. I usually will not add such an item unless I've come across it a few times at least. As for the cart 1 with the slit, I've never seen that before at all on any cart that I've ever come across. It could be a one of a kind. Has anyone else come across this?

Phil

• Like 1

Please give me page count including front and back covers along with measurements of the book in inches including fractions.

24 pages total including the covers, 4 1/4" x 6 3/4"

That's an unusual size. Usually the white ones are 5x7 or the same size as the small Missile Command or Video Pinball 4 x 6 1/2. I'm going to go with your measurement though, hoping you're accurate.

Phil

• Like 1

Actually I was looking at your cart 4. My guess is it was either an anomoly where they forgot to put the cart protector/locking piece or your cart is stuck open. Bang the cart face down and see if the protector snaps back up into place. I've had many carts stuck and it was just a matter of knocking it around to put the protector piece back. Usually it's something like soda or juice getting spilled inside and sticking it open.

Phil

• Like 1

I've been working on a 7800 label variation list (as can be seen in my sig), I found a case variation while doing it:

post-12364-0-08279600-1329229360_thumb.jpg

I have 4 7800 games like this, all from Hong Kong.

And today, I just found a 2600 game with this. Pole Position. Two identical cart labels, but different cartridge molds:

post-12364-0-79384200-1329229657_thumb.jpg

I know it would be a pain in the ass to go through all the CART3's and mark them CART? until they can get verified, but I think this is what has to get done. Either that or you could not consider it a variation, which would be blasphemy. :)

• Like 1

I don't own a vast amount of open carts (Cart 3) so actually searching through will probably not yield much. Instead of creating a Cart4 version, I may just put a note under the definition of Cart3. The variations with the Cart1, 2 and 3 was created to show what type of circuit board cover it had. A variation of a Cart 3 still makes it a Cart 3, meaning no cover. It would be a cartridge mold difference. I've been hoping to get my computer room cleaned up enough to move on to the other 3rd party software variations to get the entire photo list done. That itself is a monumental task with what is left, let alone scanning new variations found. Creating a whole new mold variation would just be way too much more work that pretty much no one but the die hard variation collector would care about. Many people don't care about the picky variations I'm already showing, let alone getting even more detailed.

Phil

• Like 1

I just modified the Canyon Bomber boxes a bit. I have 2 copies of this where the warranty box background is brown and the copyright is outside below the box. One box has Rev 4 and the other Rev 5. I could not really detect any differences short of the picture being a bit crisper on the Rev 5. I explained things a bit in the listing, so feel free to look at it.

Phil

• Like 1

I don't own a vast amount of open carts (Cart 3) so actually searching through will probably not yield much. Instead of creating a Cart4 version, I may just put a note under the definition of Cart3. The variations with the Cart1, 2 and 3 was created to show what type of circuit board cover it had. A variation of a Cart 3 still makes it a Cart 3, meaning no cover. It would be a cartridge mold difference. I've been hoping to get my computer room cleaned up enough to move on to the other 3rd party software variations to get the entire photo list done. That itself is a monumental task with what is left, let alone scanning new variations found. Creating a whole new mold variation would just be way too much more work that pretty much no one but the die hard variation collector would care about. Many people don't care about the picky variations I'm already showing, let alone getting even more detailed.

Phil

I care. I'm extremely picky. I notice stuff all the time that I think should be label variations but aren't listed. For an example, I've noticed that there is a variation of Outlaw where you only see the rim of his hat and there is a variation where you can see a little bit more above the rim.

Actually the Outlaw example may be a variation. Give me scans. My point about the cartridge mold had to do with what the Cart 1, 2, and 3 represented and what was being proposed. Krypton has come up with some great new additions and I've been including them. They are specific and can be done easily. What he is proposing with this slight mold variation is a monumental task that pretty much has little to offer in my opinion and is not much of a difference. There are variations with the actual circuit board and the way it was soldered in instances. I've seen it. I'm not going to offer that as a variation. And as was mentioned before, the date stamp. We could have dozens, if not hundreds of variations if we include these types of variations. Again, most of these things people don't care about and it would kill the whole idea of collecting. If you personally want to keep every single small difference you find, that's great. You collect how and what you want, as to that is what collecting is all about. I'm not going to delve into something so deep. I think I've taken this list much much further than the original author wanted or even dreamed of. I added foreign labels which weren't on the list. I added manuals which weren't on the list. And I've gotten into much more detail overall than probably what was originally conceived. It was to give the average collector a chance to obtain a bit more variety if they so choose. Most collectors are satisfied with a text, picture, and maybe color differences like a silver, grey or red variety. I doubt someone really wants 26 Combats, soon to be 28 when I add the other 2 listed here, let alone adding dozens more variations with each subtle difference on the cart. The majority of people don't have the room, myself included. That is why I don't really collect variations.

I'd welcome other opinions on this subject.

Phil

• Like 1

I've been working on a 7800 label variation list (as can be seen in my sig), I found a case variation while doing it:

post-12364-0-08279600-1329229360_thumb.jpg

I have 4 7800 games like this, all from Hong Kong.

And today, I just found a 2600 game with this. Pole Position. Two identical cart labels, but different cartridge molds:

post-12364-0-79384200-1329229657_thumb.jpg

I know it would be a pain in the ass to go through all the CART3's and mark them CART? until they can get verified, but I think this is what has to get done. Either that or you could not consider it a variation, which would be blasphemy. :)

A question I do have for you about these mold variations I would like clarifying. In the case of either the first one not identifying the game, or the Pole Position, are the game variations exactly the same? Like, are they both version g or is one version g and the other version h? Also, is that a tab with the 2nd PP that the first doesn't have? Not sure if I've noticed that at all. Each Cart3 version I've seen have tabs. I have version g of the PP and mine has the tab with no ridges. I also have 2 Phoenix Cart 3 1988 and they both have tabs with no ridges. I'll keep my eyes open on Cart 3s and see if I come across anything like you're showing here.

Phil

• Like 1

Combat, Plastic labels, 1978, cart1, no "use with..." :

post-12364-0-34846300-1327970198_thumb.jpg

post-12364-0-42368400-1327970205_thumb.jpg

Added. I decided to continue the naming after version z) to be verzion za) and version zb). At first I was going to call it aa, bb, etc, but the files were not in alphabetical order according to the listing. Actually both Combats were added, I erased the 2nd one in the quote by mistake.

Phil

Edited by Philflound
  • Like 1