IGNORED

Giant Label Variation PHOTO Website. Check it out!

Philflound

Ok, good news and bad news for me. I've gotten the first 6 owners manuals that I have documented on the list completely scanned and up to see. If you're looking for the documentation (no game instruction manuals here), the link is actually after the 3rd party companies links, thus currently Data Age. I'll do my best to get the other 6 I have completely scanned by the weekend.

Other good news is that I just added 2 boxed variations for Dig Dug, both Made in Hong Kong, one is 1987, the other 1988. I also added a Kangaroo 1988 Printed in Hong Kong / Made in Hong Kong version, which is slightly different than the other one that was already there.

I made 2 purchases of boxed games recently and found a decent amount of variations. One goodie is the late version of Super Breakout, this one being a 1988 box. It is open, but is in mint condition and looks like it never got played with. I'll get this on real soon.

Ok, the bad news. For some reason, my MS Word document on my computer seems to be outdated. I have no clue how it happened, but I'm missing some boxed variations and possibly cart variations that I did already. It's on the website under their respective photos, but not in the word document. What does that mean? I'm going to have to review each entry from Atari to Data Age on the site against the word document and correct the word document. This means I can't get an updated list on the website for awhile that will be accurate.

As I add new things to the website, I'm going to post exactly what changes are made to keep everyone informed and if curious can check them out.

Phil

You should make two copies so if one document messes up the other will be fine. Keep up the good work. I love your site.

What happened is that I got a new computer about a year ago, and copied the files for all my photos, docs, and other things to an external harddrive. It is also possible that in my haste, I forgot to modify the word document while doing the site.

Just to give you an idea of what is involved in adding just ONE entry. The 2 Dig Dug and 1 Kangaroo took me almost 1 hour to do.

Step 1: Scan item: box front and back, cart main and end labels, so either one takes 2 scans.

Step 2: Rotate photos if need be to look perfect and crop down the edges.

Step 3: Send photos to Rom Hunter

Step 4: Modify the size of photos so they are consistent, carts being 400 pixels wide, boxes being 600.

Step 5: Copy photos to appropriate folders on my computer under specific title, then make another copy for my website image photos folder.

Step 6: Modify the MS Word document for the new entry

Step 7: Open page in Frontpage to the title.

Step 8: Add text describing new item along with the 2 photos, then save.

Step 9: Open FTP Commander and go to appropriate folders. Upload new photos to the site. Then upload the updated web page with new info.

Step 10: Verify on videogamevariations website that all modifications worked and there are no errors on page.

:)

Phil

Edited by Philflound

Step 4: Modify the size of photos so they are consistent, carts being 400 pixels wide, boxes being 600.

When I first scanned all my carts, I had a hell of a time automating it. Since then I have an Epson RX620, and the scanner software for it is top notch. You can save profiles! I have a default template for "AtariCarts" and "AtariEnds" so that they are all the same size. Personally I scan at 300 DPI even though it is typically too big for posting. I try to remember to resize smaller if detail isn't important.

See if you can find some 3rd party software than can at lease minimally automate the scanning part.

Scanning would be a little easier if I could put the item to the edge of the scanner. No matter which edge I go to the scanner, it cuts off a small amount of the scan. My old scanner worked much better, but became obsolete. I'm using a canon now. This is a scanner full size, self contained unit, not one of those crappy scanner/printer/fax things. It scans very well and gives extremely good detail, but I have to do the modifications. Maybe I can setup some template like you suggest. I'll check into it.

Phil

Scanning would be a little easier if I could put the item to the edge of the scanner. No matter which edge I go to the scanner, it cuts off a small amount of the scan. My old scanner worked much better, but became obsolete. I'm using a canon now. This is a scanner full size, self contained unit, not one of those crappy scanner/printer/fax things. It scans very well and gives extremely good detail, but I have to do the modifications. Maybe I can setup some template like you suggest. I'll check into it.

Phil

This is how I did it on my old HP scanner.

Old Post

That worked OK, but it is MUCH easier with the "Epson Scan" software.

You should make two copies so if one document messes up the other will be fine. Keep up the good work. I love your site.

What happened is that I got a new computer about a year ago, and copied the files for all my photos, docs, and other things to an external harddrive. It is also possible that in my haste, I forgot to modify the word document while doing the site.

Just to give you an idea of what is involved in adding just ONE entry. The 2 Dig Dug and 1 Kangaroo took me almost 1 hour to do.

Step 1: Scan item: box front and back, cart main and end labels, so either one takes 2 scans.

Step 2: Rotate photos if need be to look perfect and crop down the edges.

Step 3: Send photos to Rom Hunter

Step 5: Copy photos to appropriate folders on my computer under specific title, then make another copy for my website image photos folder.

Step 6: Modify the MS Word document for the new entry

Step 7: Open page in Frontpage to the title.

Step 8: Add text describing new item along with the 2 photos, then save.

Step 9: Open FTP Commander and go to appropriate folders. Upload new photos to the site. Then upload the updated web page with new info.

Step 10: Verify on videogamevariations website that all modifications worked and there are no errors on page.

:)

Phil

I can see how that would be a pain. The scans I have taken for you took me a while.

Phil

I have the same problem with the edge of the scanner. What I do is put something with a flat edge(like another cart) on the edge then put the cart I'm scanning against it.

Phil

I have the same problem with the edge of the scanner. What I do is put something with a flat edge(like another cart) on the edge then put the cart I'm scanning against it.

That's actually a good idea I never thought of.

Phil

Phil

That's actually a good idea I never thought of.

Phil

I think I learning it the first night I started scanning stuff for you. :)

I got sidetracked when I said I was going to do the owner's manuals last weekend. I did manual 7, 12 and 13. I also added the grey box Canyon Bomber I didn't have up there. I may try and get owner manual 8 done too tonight.

Edit: I decided that 600 wide is too small, so I'll be changing the scans to 800. That will take a little time, but shouldn't be too bad. In the meantime, I'm doing manual 8 as 800 wide and we'll see how it looks in comparison.

Phil

Edited by Philflound

3 owner's manuals to go. One of them has over 40 pages, I think 44, so that will take some time. After that, I'm going to need to take a break for a few weeks. I may try and do a few of the boxes I found in my travels, but something has come up that has just put a damper on my life and is going to require me to do a lot of physical work with no reward. I'm upset with this, but it eventually had to come and it just got thrown in my face. So if you don't see any updates with the site in the next month or so, please have patience.

Phil

Got the 44 page Owner's Manual up on the site. It is Owner's Manual 10, so if you have a slow computer, don't click it since you'll be loading 44 pages. There are 4 pages of my copy that have a printing error with the colors. You'll see them not lined up correctly. 2 are in the Spanish section and 2 are in the Chinese? section. I don't know if my copy is a one of a kind, all copies are like this, or there are correct copies out there too. If you have any info, please contact me. You'll see I scanned the blank pages too, just to be accurate.

Phil

• 2 months later...

Lots of things have been happening, and I'm always working. I picked up 4 lots of boxed games these past 2 weeks and ran across some more variations. I've also been clarifying a little bit more in the descriptions. Mainly the tiny flaps with the manufacturer, some Rev numbers, and what type of flap the game has to close. I found some new M Network box variations, which I'll get to eventually on the site. I also found the elusive Maze Craze variation where the artist's name is behind the CX number on the main label. I'll get that up some time by the end of the day. I also just got the Printed in Taiwan Football variation by Atari, which is Box 3. That will be uploaded in about 5 minutes. I'll try and note any additional variations that have new photos that I do in the near future.

Phil

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very proud to have received this beauty (thanks to Rene):

http://www.atarimani...-wor_27941.html

Yep, a Spanish release.

8)

I'll see about updating this in the next couple of days. I want to try and keep updated with what's already done with the site so I don't fall behind on any new variations with the companies already shown. I'd like to get the Data Age finished soon. I have some more variations I have to do, but have been real busy. Bought myself 300 plastic boxes to protect my Atari games and started putting them in. I've spent the past month or so buying Christmas discounted items from Target, Toys R Us, and Kmart to stock up for next year. But I'm sorting through the inventory and putting it on Ebay now just in case someone wants to buy stuff. I'm super cramped in my room trying to get everything organized, so I put the Atari on hold until I can get myself organized and make some room to move. It's been very crazy lately.

Phil

Here are the lables for the combats:

post-12364-0-33846400-1327500241_thumb.jpg

Here are the cart types:

post-12364-0-68856500-1327500247_thumb.jpg

Basketball, 1987, has "use with"

post-12364-0-07467100-1327500278_thumb.jpg

Basic Programming manual, 1986, rev2 front and back

post-12364-0-21206200-1327500303_thumb.jpg

post-12364-0-19954500-1327500309_thumb.jpg

A Backgammon box not on the list:

post-12364-0-06950100-1327500338_thumb.jpg

post-12364-0-39228600-1327500344_thumb.jpg

A mousetrap box that is different from the site (back only)

post-12364-0-71286800-1327500383_thumb.jpg

Swordquest Fireworld and Sorcerers Apprentice, Cart2

post-12364-0-31947500-1327500421_thumb.jpg

post-12364-0-98514300-1327500427_thumb.jpg

Galaxian End Label anomoly. I'm not sure you'd count this as a variation.. Check it out:

post-12364-0-72730000-1327500475_thumb.jpg

Over half the galaxians that I see are this type:

post-12364-0-69378500-1327500513_thumb.jpg

But the ones on your list don't mention this variety.

I have three of these, and none with the "*" and lighter label.