IGNORED

The Official "Super Expansion Module" Thread

opcode

Ok, so I have the schematics done, the board done, components have been placed, next I will start to route. It is gonna take a few days, hope to have the board done in a couple of weeks, so that we can have the prototype running before the end of the month. Until there we should also know about the case, and once I know about the case I am going to send Dale everything he needs to start working on the full SGM doc set. So far so good...

• Like 1

After 7 years, I am just tired of this project, I want to move to new things (other games, the CV2, who knows). All my fault though, had I not kept changing the specs every month the SGM would have been released years ago. Oh, well...

After 7 years, I am just tired of this project, I want to move to new things (other games, the CV2, who knows). All my fault though, had I not kept changing the specs every month the SGM would have been released years ago. Oh, well...

Although I haven't accomplished anything that cool within the realm of my hobbies, I know how you feel. I like to do woodworking, and when I'm halfway done with a project, I get sick of it and move onto something else and don't end up coming back to it for months. Jeez, that little joystick I built took me a year to accomplish, even though I maybe worked about fifteen hours total on it, if that.

I know that also . In my case, the problem is also that working an a project i think permanantly to others ones that i start to find more interresting!. Sometimes it is really hard to force myself to complete the game (or else) i'm doing. i have in my head hundreds of game i would like to do for colecovision , but also other consoles and micro.

Looking foward for DKA!

First step to have the case done is to get a 3D model, and for that I need quotes. So while I wait for quotes I will put the SGM PCB design aside for a while, because I want to make sure the case won't go through changes.

In the meantime I will be working on the new MegaCart which I was going to work on after the SGM. So I am just changing the order of things, but still hope to have both done by the end of March.

Ok, so I got the first reply from a potential designer for the SGM case. I am still waiting for a quote though. Let's hope we can reach an agreement. Unless it is an obscene amount of money, I would prefer to have the design made in the US (instead of, let's say, China), as it would be easier to communicate back and forth.

The SGM is going to be based on the ADAM auto dialer, what was an actual Coleco design. However some changes will be required, like removing the two phone jack windows. The final color is going to be of course black, and it will feature an official Coleco aluminum front plate (as it is in fact an officially licensed Coleco product).

For those who have never seen the auto dialer before, here is a picture of it plugged to the CV expansion port. I wonder if Coleco even designed with any ColecoVision application in mind, as it even looks nice when attached to the ColecoVision expansion port.

post-1432-0-73317800-1328676934_thumb.jpg

Edited by opcode
  • Like 3

So the board fits perfectly inside that is good news! Are you going to use your updated colecovision logo for the name plate?

Jason,

Not sure what you mean by updated ColecoVision logo... I am going with the classic CV logo, as well as Coleco logo. Super Game Module logo uses the official Coleco font for modules, which was... forgot the name, but Dale knows which font it is. :)

Oh, I see. The SGM doesn't have a BIOS, so the start up screen will run from the Super Game cartridges (the SGM start up logo is available in video from my Youtube account).

That will be the standard opening screen for all my SGM games (aka Super Games). Also standard will be the diagnostic screen for testing the SGM components, which can be accessed from the keypad during boot up.

Aside that I still need to figure out and negotiate with 3rd parties about box logos, and start up screen on their games.

Ok, so I got the first reply from a potential designer for the SGM case. I am still waiting for a quote though. Let's hope we can reach an agreement. Unless it is an obscene amount of money, I would prefer to have the design made in the US (instead of, let's say, China), as it would be easier to communicate back and forth.

The SGM is going to be based on the ADAM auto dialer, what was an actual Coleco design. However some changes will be required, like removing the two phone jack windows. The final color is going to be of course black, and it will feature an official Coleco aluminum front plate (as it is in fact an officially licensed Coleco product).

For those who have never seen the auto dialer before, here is a picture of it plugged to the CV expansion port. I wonder if Coleco even designed with any ColecoVision application in mind, as it even looks nice when attached to the ColecoVision expansion port.

Will the module have legs or feet as it looks to be "floating" in this picture (I know it’s not your final product). Just wondering since it looks like it just hangs onto the expansion port connection, which I would think would be bad in the long term.

Will the module have legs or feet as it looks to be "floating" in this picture (I know it’s not your final product). Just wondering since it looks like it just hangs onto the expansion port connection, which I would think would be bad in the long term.

It has a single leg. The expansion port on the ADAM follows the same specs as the CV, so modules can fit the same on both.

post-1432-0-23053700-1328719566_thumb.jpg

Edited by opcode