IGNORED

The Official "Super Expansion Module" Thread

opcode

I'm okay with that. :) I'm just happy to contribute to this monumental piece of history! Those mock-ups are just compressed JPGs, but I have actually done everything in 600 dpi Photoshop files. So I'd hate to think he is re-creating all of the detail.

Well, we could forward the photoshop files to him then. Which reminds me... any progress with sides and back of the box... Not that I am pressing you or anything, just really curious to see or take on that... :)

Here we go...

post-28334-0-17245400-1331060544_thumb.jpg

post-28334-0-03328100-1331060626_thumb.jpg

Looks great. I assume that the larger picture is the back of the box, and the other is the side. Is that correct?

Actually I mis-formatted the JPG proportions, but they're correct in Photoshop... The first picture is the 10" x 5" (long) side, and the second picture is the 6" x 5" (shorter) side. The bottom (underside) is in progress. :)

Notice that for the "Super Game Module" logo we are using the exact font Coleco used with all their ColecoVision products, including "Video Game System" on the ColecoVision name plate and the logo for the unreleased Super Game Module from 1983.

BTW, has someone familiar with the Famicom Disk System noticed how similar in concept it was to the original Super Game Module. The main difference was the media, Nintendo went with Quick Disks, while Coleco had planned to use Entrepo's Wafer tapes (I suppose Quick disk weren't available in 1983 yet). Anyways, another first for Coleco, even if the final product didn't quite materialize.

Anyways, another first for Coleco, even if the final product didn't quite materialize.

Coleco did indeed have some truly brilliant people working for them (Eric Bromley, W(illie?) Banks, etc.) that went on to make a name for themselves after their Coleco days in a big way and it's just so unfortunate that things ended up working out the way they did. But then again, if Coleco had gone on to become THE major force in the North American videogame market that they were primed and ready for, who's to say that we'd all be here talking about things the way we are and anxiously awaiting your SGM and DKA!!!

I am ready to order the PCB. Let's hope I get it right in one shot. I also heard that the case design will start tomorrow and should be done in 2 weeks. So hopefully we will get both case and PCB ready for beta before the end of the month.

• Like 2

PCB ordered. Keeping my fingers crossed that I will get that right in one shot. If the design is correct then we could start beta in early April. That is crucial to achieve the planned August release date, with beta going from April to June. Then we would have manufacturing happening in July.

Order for the cases must be placed by May. Packaging probably would be ok if ordered by June.

Ok. but which side of the box each one represents?

Sorry, I thought I'd specified that... Allow me to post again in order. In addition, here is the bottom-side of the packaging in the last attachment. :)

Here we have each side: bottom, top, long side and short side. It looks like the short side posts to seem larger (in perspective) than the other sides, but it is 6x5".

post-28334-0-66879700-1331762269_thumb.jpg

post-28334-0-47330900-1331762273_thumb.jpg

post-28334-0-03536300-1331762277_thumb.jpg

post-28334-0-10467900-1331762280_thumb.jpg

Ah, now it makes sense. :)

The box looks great, really love it. I am going to send all files to Dale and let him give it the final polish.

Thanks a lot, really appreciated. I will think of a way to reward you for your hard work. :)

• Like 1

Cool! Glad to contribute in any way I can. I realize you already have a "go-to guy" (Dale) for graphic art rendering Can't wait to see what ideas he'll glean from these.

I've been wanting to sit down and sketch some of my own templates with a new spin on the classic Colecovision design. Maybe I'll still do it just for fun.

Cheers Eduardo!

Here is a report for the week.

Case 3D model will be done next week. After that we have the option of producing a prototype, which would be quite expensive, or go right into production. Anyways, a mold will be required.

The first prototype PCB has been ordered and is expected next week. However I identified a potential problem and decided to produce a second revision before even receiving the first board, just to make sure. I am doing everything possible to stay on schedule.

Then we have Dale working on the packaging. All logos and the metal plate has been already produced and Dale will start the manual next week.

Expected total development cost is $3K. Just to clarify, by development I mean the 3D model for the case, the prototype PCB and the packaging files.