IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

Another thing? I noticed about VideoGame Rescue co-host Kevin's voice? Most of his sentences? Whether a statement or not? Go up at the end like a question? I find this very annoying? (is that surprising?)

Although from what I can tell? They're making a conscious effort to curb the swearing? Maybe they saw my earlier post in this topic?

Maybe he's Canadian. There's a thing called "Canadian rising" where every statement uttered sounds like a question. I worked with people from Ottawa, and at least one had it. I don't mind it. At least he's not going for world record cussing.

...whether single or mufti hosted I just want to hear about the content presented in a nice calm (some enthusiasm is fine) manner, over the years I loved podcasts like RGR by Shane R Monroe and Earl Evans Retro computer podcast and even the Retroist podcast. I like listening to people that know I am an adult and are pretty much speaking as if the are talking directly to you. Some of the podcasts seem to have a soundboard and a lot of "FX" just for the sake of trying to come off like the equivalent of a morning radio show,I hate those. I think my point is, the content should speak for itself, I don't need / want flash or pizzazz.

But the thing is, some of the younger (by & large they're the culprits) hosts will say "oh, I'm not gonna be all stuffy & boring & grown up, I'll do my own thing & swear/stupid jingles/farts & burps because I can & Mom & Dad aren't listening" well, that's where they go wrong. Suit yourselves, but you won't get a "subscribe" from me.

& podcasts like Retroist & Retrogaming Radio, those w/ older more mature hosts, are what I enjoy most.

Edited by RJ

Maybe he's Canadian. There's a thing called "Canadian rising" where every statement uttered sounds like a question. I worked with people from Ottawa, and at least one had it. I don't mind it. At least he's not going for world record cussing.

Hmmm, I've lived in MN all my life & never heard of this phenomenon. I thought it was reserved for preteen schoolgirls & crummy podcast hosts.

• Like 1

I tried the Pacman episode of No Quarter.

I enjoy the hosts and the chat is both lively and enjoyable. However they really didn't seem to know a lot of basic Pacman lore which surprised me. Examples: they didn't mention that the "ghosts" are actually monsters, they didn't know the story of the college students that made Ms. Pacman, and a few similar items. I don't want to sound too critical, I mean, maybe they're a lot younger than most of us but if they are going to celebrate one of the greatest games ever, one in the Smithsonian, I would have expected them to be a bit more up to speed on a lot of the info about Pacman.

Still, I'll try some others episodes, it's a pleasant listen.

I went thru & deleted all subs that havent produced a show in the last few months. Got rid of 6 or so, felt pretty good.

Y'know I'm not sure the No Quarter hosts are "full on" gamers, they could be Everyman who do a gaming podcast & don't know certain intricacies of the games they discuss. That said, yes, they did miss a lot on their 1st show, & I bet they miss several notable aspects of Xevious. I could likely add another 20-30 min to their discussion, but that's only since I'm a Xevious superfan.

Anyhow, it's miles above most of the other drivel I've subjected myself to, & that's just in terms of voice quality & production.

Edited by RJ

I'll defend No Quarters here in that one aspect. Are they hardcore gamers? No. But that's what puts it miles ahead of their other podcasts. Otherwise the host(s) would be ranting on about modern games and be just like any other podcast. I'm okay with them missing intricacies about PacMan. I would rather listen to their own impressions & experiences with the game. Otherwise they would just be a "books on tape" version of the Wikipedia article of the game du jor.

Meanwhile, I'm scratching my head why I can't get my 'cast submitted to Itunes. Apple's tech support(which is great, BTW) said the RSS feed was messed up, so I have to now talk to podomatic.com's tech support. Maybe I can't do it with the free account?

Edit: Wow there is a large legacy behind Xevious, looking at the Wikipedia article. I remember playing Solvalou and thinking that was pretty neat.

Edited by S1500
  • Like 1

Another thing? I noticed about VideoGame Rescue co-host Kevin's voice? Most of his sentences? Whether a statement or not? Go up at the end like a question? I find this very annoying? (is that surprising?)

If this keeps up? Unsubscribing will be imminent?

Although from what I can tell? They're making a conscious effort to curb the swearing? Maybe they saw my earlier post in this topic?

I did a test podcast and I did this exact thing. I had no idea until I listened back. Other than reading from a script (which in my case would sound just as bad), I don't know what to do about it.

I'll defend No Quarters here in that one aspect. Are they hardcore gamers? No. But that's what puts it miles ahead of their other podcasts. Otherwise the host(s) would be ranting on about modern games and be just like any other podcast. I'm okay with them missing intricacies about PacMan. I would rather listen to their own impressions & experiences with the game. Otherwise they would just be a "books on tape" version of the Wikipedia article of the game du jour.

Good point. & judging from their Xevious scores, I can safely say they are nowhere near hardcore. :lol: & that's just fine w/ me.

I wish I could get hold of that Xevious novel, it's the one aspect of Xevious unknown to me. There's a comic online updated every 3 days IIRR but that doesnt do it for me.

Edited by RJ

Good point. & judging from their Xevious scores, I can safely say they are NOT hardcore gamers. :lol:

I wish I could get hold of that Xevious novel, it's the one aspect of Xevious unknown to me. There's a comic online updated every 3 days IIRR but that doesnt do it for me.

I wish they would have talked about the other Xevious games(Super Xevious, Solvalu, etc), but it's all good. Maybe you can make an episode about that. Heh. Me? I'm slammed with home renovations to do any further 'casting just yet.

Oh toward the end Carrington mentioned something about the aspect ratio in home versions changing the gameplay. The Playstation version (Xevious 3D/+G) has a Tate mode which fixes this, & also an "arrange" mode which is a whole new version of Xevious, w/ 2 player co-op to boot. I'm not a fan of the 3D update on there. & actually I've never played Solvalou.

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

actually I've never played Solvalou.

And you call yourself a Xevious super fan! :) I think it was only released in Japan, but I swore I saw it in the arcades when I was a wee lad. Imagine a 3D version where you're inside the cockpit. It's not unlike, say, arcade Star Wars. I rather enjoyed it. It keeps true to the original, only now it's in 3D with saucers & stuff zipping around.

• Like 1

Is Shane's Passenger Seat Radio any good? I may use it as filler between his monthly podcasts.

It's....okay. If you are fresh out of podcasts to listen to(it happens), and don't have any streaming audio/ipod to listen to, go ahead and give it a listen.

Hi guy's, this is Darren (Daz Retro) From The Retro Domination podcast. I bumped into this topic and saw your opinions. Reason we went explicit was so we didn't have to hold back on our views even if swearing was involved. But yes Ep 5 was disgraceful and we weren't happy with the outcome with that episode and also we had a new team starting so we had to find ourselves. So far we have been happy with the feedback regarding later episodes and we have Johnny Millenium on our next one so I hope you enjoy it. Please feel free to give us some feedback, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Daz

• Like 2

Hi guy's, this is Darren (Daz Retro) From The Retro Domination podcast. I bumped into this topic and saw your opinions. Reason we went explicit was so we didn't have to hold back on our views even if swearing was involved. But yes Ep 5 was disgraceful and we weren't happy with the outcome with that episode and also we had a new team starting so we had to find ourselves. So far we have been happy with the feedback regarding later episodes and we have Johnny Millenium on our next one so I hope you enjoy it. Please feel free to give us some feedback, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Daz

Don't sweat it. I think you have some permanent listeners(not just me) on here. Keep the episodes comin'.

• Like 1

Don't sweat it. I think you have some permanent listeners(not just me) on here. Keep the episodes comin'.

Thanks mate.

Feel free to join our FB page http://www.facebook.com/#!/RetroDomination and visit our website at www.retrodomination.com We love some feedback.

Happy Gaming!

Daz

Yeah Daz that ep 5 was a heartbreaker, I thought it would be that bad from then on, glad it didn't stay like that. It just reminded me of another 'cast I listened to, it began great but then it turned an ugly corner. The name escapes me (I may have mentioned them earlier in this topic) but I know they haven't produced anymore shows, i. e. crash & burn.

But yeah, we tell it like it is around here, if your show sucks, WE SAY SO. Yours is actually one of the better IMO. It's intriguing how you Aussies have to "order out" for your retro!

Oh yeah, I think I'm one of the guys who really didn't like the Halloween ArcadeImpossible. :big toothy grin: I hope the upcoming one is better & they stick to the format.

Edited by RJ