IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

Add Forgotten Worlds, Wizard of Wor, & the obscure ORIGINAL Sega CrackDown to my list. Sega prob. decided it was forgotten & used the name for the newer one.

& remove Toobin, players actually compete rather than work together. But I think we all get my point.

Edited by RJ

The problem is that, in general, we at AtariAge are old farts and are interested in REALLY old stuff. Late 70's and early 80's just seems to be a little too old for most of the 'retro' community.

I mean, think about, when was the last time you saw a 'classic' movie list that contained a movie from, say, the 1920's? It just doesn't happen. We're dinosaurs guys, dinosaurs...

I really wish I had the know-how, talent and balls to do a 'super retro' podcast. Something that didn't go beyond 1984. God knows there's enough source material and the homebrew community is constantly generating discussion. We need an official AtariAge radio show!

This is true. Any video game nostalgia seems to go from mario on up, due to the generation differences. There's only so much you can talk about Pong on a podcast. But there's still tons to talk about for lesser-known coin-op games, early computer games, and of course in-depth talk about some console games.

Yes, an official AtarIAge podcast needs to happen. Hell, I'm running out of space only after 4 episodes for my dumb podcast since I won't pay podomatic. I wonder if Albert would host me & several other poeples' podcasts, provided they are of a retro nature. Huh? Yeah!

An AtariAge podcast would succeed just with talk of recently-made homebrews of any console(not just 2600). Have a Batari Basic corner. Go nuts!

PFL you can easily make a podcast. if you can record audio to a computer, you can do it. It doesn't need to have expensive equipment, audio engineers & such to make it good. It's the content that matters above all. We've seen podcasts that are made in someone's basement that are fun & awesome, and we've seen podcasts with an actual operating budget that bore us to tears.

How many people can be on Skype at one time? Everyone in this thread who wants to be involved, could be (though that'd potentially invite lots of talking over each other.) Call it the "AtariAge Forum Member MegaCast" or AtariAge MemberCast or something similar. & each week get a different (capable) member as head host. But keep in mind, too many cooks...

There'd be LOTS of material for a premiere episode, just by introducing ourselves & giving some personal background info, favorite games, consoles, etc. If it got down to it, by the 3rd or so episode, each person could be assigned a main topic, based on their forte/experience w/ that topic. Host "x" likes/owns coin-ops so he does a coinop report/discussion, host y just got a new console so he discusses that, host z got some awesome finds that day so he does that segment, etc.

Edited by RJ
  • Like 2

How many people can be on Skype at one time? Everyone in this thread who wants to be involved, could be (though that'd potentially invite lots of talking over each other.) Call it the "AtariAge Forum Member MegaCast" or AtariAge MemberCast or something similar. & each week get a different (capable) member as head host. But keep in mind, too many cooks...

There'd be LOTS of material for a premiere episode, just by introducing ourselves & giving some personal background info, favorite games, consoles, etc. If it got down to it, by the 3rd or so episode, each person could be assigned a main topic, based on their forte/experience w/ that topic. Host "x" likes/owns coin-ops so he does a coinop report/discussion, host y just got a new console so he discusses that, host z got some awesome finds that day so he does that segment, etc.

This sounds like a good idea. The Retro League does something similar with google hangouts for ep recordings. So there is options. So...Albert?

Implant Games' latest podcast did do some homebrew discussion, referencing peeps here a few times.

It would be nice if we could get a 'panel' member from each continent or at least a variety of countries. Different situations and viewpoints can only add to the content and conversation...

I'd be up for being involved in the chat though my knowledge is limited. I'm a game player more than a collector or dev but maybe it's a good thing to have people of different retro backgrounds too. I'm also from Scotland so my outlook may be a little different!

Interviews of community members would be really interesting too. Albert, General Mike (Army of 2600) and Spicware are only 3 but all their stories and insights would (presumably!) be very different...

Yeah I was thinking an alternate idea would be to have regular hosts, but profile an AtariAge member every show as a segment, or at least semi-regularly.

If you're going to profile an AtariAge member(Great idea btw), Atari Joe better be the first on the list.

• Like 1

I'm listening right now as I type, they 're under 15 min in so far, & it's not bad. I chuckled a few times already at their humor, & I like the laidback delivery, so that's fine. They're under fire for the 3 hosts' introductions for being too long, but they really weren't. (actually I thought they were a bit short, I thought they'd each go on & on for like a half hour.) IMO this actually feels close to what our AtariAge podcast may be, though obviously it's too early for a final verdict.

They're also critiqued they don't get into the 1st topic quick enough, yet they introduce & are on it inside 15 minutes.

One of the critics is a co-host of RF Collectorcasts, so maybe he feels he has a mentor/mentee situation or something w/ them.

And I assume this is them:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/retro-game-squad/id564432279

Remember, if you find a good pocast, you gotta tell us the URL.

If you find a really terrible podcast, you REALLY must drop everything, and tell us the URL.

MIght have to subscribe tonight.

And in other news, Rob O'Hara(You dont know flacK) does guest spots on The Retroist podcast. Small world.

Currently listening to Stalking The Retro as praised by SoCal Mike recently on RetroGaming Roundup. Having a hard time understanding why.

This is somehow linked to the Wasted Seconds podcast/site, which IIRC was given a thumbs down earlier in this thread. Host indieseoul sounds like a more lethargic Jerry Terrifying. Got his cussword chromosome too- may as well be brothers. Not hearing much retro talk either. Apparently some of his (here we go again) YouTube stuff is game-related. Oh yeah, there are links to lots of Miley Cyrus & Emma Watson pics.

I wouldn't bother, but here you go:

www.wastedseconds.com

This has linked me to Retro Review Revolution's podcast- listening to ep. 1 now. The onscreen controls that popped up don't give me the option to FFWD or REW, just play/pause so Im kinda captive here. The host just said he's aiming for a 3 or 4 times A YEAR podcast! Wow, why bother?

The 1st segment is co-host Synical Enigma- in all his lisping, voice-cracking glory- discussing the Xband for Genesis & SNES, listing ALL the compatible games. Reading lists is always compelling subject matter for the listener. He also pronounces Saturn, "Saturen". Can't wait for more!

Edited by RJ

I was about to subscribe to The Spectrum Show, but it's in YouTube format. Great for highlighting video games and such, but I can't listen to it on my iPod when I'm doing chores.

So here's RRR's podcast link:

http://retroreviewrevolution.webs.com/apps/podcast/

If there's no FF or REW version, might have to listen to it in iTunes.

Couldn't find that one on iTunes, had to listen to it from the site. I was forced to listen to a couple of the songs, which were actually more tolerable than the segments. The 2nd, "Why Retro?" was worse than the 1st.

Partway through I had audio trouble & was kicked off the episode. I tried the 2nd episode (the interview w/ Mike Kennedy/SoCal Mike) but as soon as Mike began to talk, I got kicked off again.

I guess maybe we're lucky there are only 3 existing episodes.

Edited by RJ

Listening to RRR right now. There is just WAY too much music between segments. One episode had some death metal playing in between that sounds like every YouTube video. Poor audio quality in some segments where I can barely hear them. D (so far)

Listening to RRR right now. There is just WAY too much music between segments. One episode had some death metal playing in between that sounds like every YouTube video. Poor audio quality in some segments where I can barely hear them. D (so far)

Yeah, I checked one out just for grins since you linked to it. The long Chrono Trigger musical intro was, well, way too long, and they didn't even fade it out to the commentary track--it just cuts immediately. Ouch.

*Edit: Still listening.. Sort of. The long talk explaining Dragon Warrior was enough to make me turn it off. Who doesn't know how a classic J-RPG works? Explaining in-depth is redundant. With the short bit I listened to, I so far agree with your D rating.

Edited by Austin

I got thru all the RRRs last night. Long story short, some segments were decent, but not worth enduring the whole show(s) for.

One guy, NESJohnny, appears on ep. 2 & really seems to get retrogaming despite his age (mid 20s?) I enjoyed his part & hope to hear more of him- HE should be the main host. Leathco & SynicalEnigma are the last guys I want to hear on there. Indieseoul has the best delivery, eloquence, & audio quality of all the talent, unfortunately he likes to play the ol' swear card.

Ep. 3 had poor audio the whole way through; one segment had NESPimp talking over a distracting electronic gurgling noise. All in all the show is released infrequently enough that its shortcomings won't bother me too much, although that's no excuse.

Oh, you want to hear some BAD music? Listen to the last couple minutes of show #2. It's SynicalEnigma's band. Wow, truly atrocious.

Funny thing is, some comments from their website say "Good stuff" & "awesome podcast". Sorry guys, not awesome...not even close.

Edited by RJ

*Edit: Still listening.. Sort of. The long talk explaining Dragon Warrior was enough to make me turn it off. Who doesn't know how a classic J-RPG works? Explaining in-depth is redundant. With the short bit I listened to, I so far agree with your D rating.

Acutally I liked the Dragon Warrior segment. I guess I am one of the few that doesn't know how a classic JRPG works, and that's why I'm not on Retronauts. :) I've only played that one Dragon Warrior that's on PS2, so I was all ears. To me it was a good segment on a game that any podcast could & should do. That was the only memorable segment to me since I couldnt ff or rewind after it(REAL bad combination with the long music bits), and accidentally clicked off of the audio playing.

Yeah Austin, I saw that this morning. :) You're right on there w/ everything you said (& you should know podcasting) ;) :thumbsup:

I also saw NES_Pimp apologized for his poor audio quality, so that's a start too. Nowhere to go but up for them, I guess.

Edited by RJ

Okay, so I had a little spare time last night and came up with this breakdown for a podcast:

1) Obligatory title tune (I would love to use the Juno First theme if permission was granted)

2) What's in the episode (the main topic of discussion)

3) News section (AA site news, homebrew stuff, prototypes other sites or YouTube updates)

4) Show subject discussion (round-table style)

5) AtariAge member profile and/or interview

6) Finish with a community member chiptune (hopefully Army of 2600 as I love his work!)

I thought putting a community track at the end would be a nice way to finish off an episode and if people don't like the song they can just switch off early...

Another pie in the sky idea was to ask Gazunta, of Blow The Cartridge fame, to draw a cartoon for each episode to add to the mp3 tag or RSS feed.

I also thought a nice opening topic would be "Where are we now?". The state of the community, activity, hopes for the future et cetera...

I know it's nothing original or massively inspiring but I just though I'd get the ball rolling a little... :)

• Like 2