IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

Oh crap, I guess my story above would've been Good material for when I guest on your show S1500...

Ha. It's all good. I was going to record tonight's episode, but watched Darkman instead. Also shooting for a local news segment for places that you won't go to. :)

I would have suggested you scan those mags in, but I'm not going to. Heh! Too much fuggin' drama!

Oh man, over on DP they started a similar topic to this one, & I got a few leads on some 'casts.

RF Generation Collectorcast

RF Generation Nation

I'll give these a listen & report. One of the guys I just did a game trade with, is one of the hosts. Generation Nation eps are about 1/2 hr, the other show goes around 90 min.

Judging from the shownotes, these shows seem promising indeed. Now I just hope everyone speaks normally & doesnt swear like a sailor.

Edited by RJ

Oh man, over on DP they started a similar topic to this one, & I got a few leads on some 'casts.

RF Generation Collectorcast

RF Generation Nation

I'll give these a listen & report. One of the guys I just did a game trade with, is one of the hosts. Generation Nation eps are about 1/2 hr, the other show goes around 90 min.

Judging from the shownotes, these shows seem promising indeed. Now I just hope everyone speaks normally & doesnt swear like a sailor.

URL on the DP thread please? I'm curious

Also, URLs to these 2 new ones you're talking about. I'm hurting for new subscriptions at work. If it's good enough, I'll promote it to my itunes sub at home.

Unsubbed from Joe Negron's podcast. Can't stand the voices. Not a personal attack, but it just is too whiny and doesn't talk anything remotely retro.

www.rfgeneration.com

Collectorcasts 1-4 are right there on the front page, Generation Nation #17 is on page 2. Sorry I can't hyperlink this, I'm on an iPad & unfamiliar w/ the procedure

Edited by RJ

I listened to them both(first episodes). They are both a C at best. But I've subscribed, so hopefully it'll pick up some steam.

http://videogamerescue.com/

http://www.rfgeneration.com/news/podcast/

By the way, the DP forums make you jump through more hoops than necessary to setup an account on there. Jeesh! I'm not trying to buy a house here.

VideoGame Rescue- single host, seems very (overly?) dedicated to the hobby as he offers, hints, tips, & strategies for collecting, almost as its a war or something. I guess in a way it is, to keep ahead of the other guy. Anyway, he bought a flea market "store" & reports on that every time. Had some decent guests, short shows, speaks fine, doesnt swear

RF Generation Collectorcast- good flow, quite listenable, 2 hosts know what theyre doing/talking about. The best of the 3 so far.

RF generation Nation- 3 hosts, one's a girl so thats a plus, but seems too businesslike & "newsy", like a Sunday morning political talk show. What little humor there is, feels forced.Also get a bit techy from time to time like Old Games + used to, but nothing extreme that would cause me to unsubscribe. I'll keep listeneing.

Do you wish to encounter: retro game podcasts? (Yes) (No)

Retro RPG Podcast - They had 4 episodes about Skyrim. I love Skyrim, but that's not retro. And it wasn't worthy of talking about for 4 episodes. But then there was a 1 minute episode titled "RAGE". I had no idea what he was talking about, but he achieved this: he swore in 1 minute at a rate faster than Jerry Terrifying. That's an accomplishment. The same venom you hear on XBL in multiplayer. What did you accomplish? This: F

One Man and his Mic - Not much mic usage if it's a music podcast. Not rated since I don't listen to retro game music podcasts. I want discussion.

• Like 1

Re: AllGen Gamers #105- the guest (GamezOfWar) brings up Outrun around 46:10 & soon states PS2 Outrun2006: Coast2Coast is "garbage"- this is FALSE. It's a great late-PS2 release w/ several sub-games, online play, & a full OutRun2 SP arcade version, it also got great reviews across the board. Maybe he's thinking of Sega Ages where a bunch of games got reskinned, but no, he's wrong about this one.

Sometimes I base game purchases on what I hear on podcasts, generally if I hear a game is worth checking out- hey, I'll check it out. In this case Outrun2006 C2C for PS2 is def. worth playing/buying. I got it $10 like 5 yrs ago, likely dirt cheap now. Excellent game!

Now back to our regularly scheduled podcast bashing...

Re: AllGen Gamers #105- the guest (GamezOfWar) brings up Outrun around 46:10 & soon states PS2 Outrun2006: Coast2Coast is "garbage"- this is FALSE. It's a great late-PS2 release w/ several sub-games, online play, & a full OutRun2 SP arcade version, it also got great reviews across the board. Maybe he's thinking of Sega Ages where a bunch of games got reskinned, but no, he's wrong about this one.

Sometimes I base game purchases on what I hear on podcasts, generally if I hear a game is worth checking out- hey, I'll check it out. In this case Outrun2006 C2C for PS2 is def. worth playing/buying. I got it $10 like 5 yrs ago, likely dirt cheap now. Excellent game!

He must be a "retro" OutRun purist or something. I thought OutRun 2 was excellent, and was surprised they were able to bring the 2006 Coast 2 Coast version to the PS2 as well as they did (Likewise with the PSP version, it's great, too).

Well what pissed me off most is how the guest just kinda passed off the PS2 game as a throwaway title in favor of the Xbox game (& a DIFFERENT game at that!) It is NOT garbage, & that's not an opinion. Thing is, I played mine today & OutRun 2 is ON THE PS2 version! So to me it's not even that the guest made a mistake, he just doesnt know what he's talking about.

Austin, this reminded me of the time I got Super Pinball: BTM on SNES per your recommendation, & turned out to be blah. I did play it again last night, & found it to be not SO bad after all, the imagery is still creepy though :)

Edited by RJ

Austin, this reminded me of the time I got Super Pinball: BTM on SNES per your recommendation, & turned out to be blah. I did play it again last night, & found it to be not SO bad after all, the imagery is still creepy though :)

Extreme Pinball for PS1 is kinda neat. I picked that up, not expecting the tables to be so close to real life tables. Lots of depth to them.

Well what pissed me off most is how the guest just kinda passed off the PS2 game as a throwaway title in favor of the Xbox game (& a DIFFERENT game at that!) It is NOT garbage, & that's not an opinion. Thing is, I played mine today & OutRun 2 is ON THE PS2 version! So to me it's not even that the guest made a mistake, he just doesnt know what he's talking about.

What's ironic about his statement is that C2C also came out on the XBOX. Asides from smoother visuals, it's the same game. :lol:

Haha! I remember that. It's to each their own of course, and no shame in that. And to be honest, after discovering the game myself, I found that there are a lot of people out there that don't care for it. It just seemed pretty cool to me because I was discovering real pinball at the time, and the physics in it seemed to act more realistic than most digital pinball games out there. That surprised me because it is a SNES game.

If you ever feel like importing it, or if you have a flash cart, the Japan-only sequel might be worth checking out. It's actually a little more interesting, with more "90's traditional"-styled tables with wire ramps and so forth. I believe there isn't nearly as much creepy imagery either. I got it a few months back, but have yet to sink a LOT of time into it. One of the tables is clearly a clone of the classic Black Knight table, albeit now with a space theme, which is kind of funny. :lol:

Extreme Pinball for PS1 is kinda neat. I picked that up, not expecting the tables to be so close to real life tables. Lots of depth to them.

I have this one, but need to give it more time. It's like a pseudo-sequel to Epic Pinball from the PC, also by Epic Mega Games. The load times turned me off though, but again, I need to buckle down and really give it some time. I'm sure the tables are pretty cool once you learn the rules, as from what I can tell there are a lot of things to shoot for.

I just realized I'm talking to Austin of Implantgames just above here. I liked the fact you talked about an Atariage homebrew on your last ep. The only other podcast to do it is Retrogaming Roundup. Again, when's that AtariAge poawdkast coming out?

Yeah, don't forget FPS, Xbox Live demos & what's on Steam. Also very pod-pular. Blecchh.

I looked up that sequel on Gamefaqs, Amazing Odyssey? Much more colorful, & the boards are more interesting' for sure

Edited by RJ