IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

He travels a lot, he may have said once or twice what he does, I dont recall. He's laid up right now after elbow surgery so he's missed the past 2 AGG shows.

But yeah, seems to me most of these 'casters & Youtubers dont have family obligations or anything else more important to do (not to sound disrespectful), I always marvel at how so many of these guys have so much free time to play games & seemingly do nothing else like household chores or other hobbies or spend time w/ their wives/kids/family etc etc.

& I was amused at how much of the AGG crew spent their holidays either gaming or watching movies, things they would do ordinarily rather than travel or be with family.

When we had our boys nearly 5 yrs back now, my free time went right out the window, & I missed it so much it became an issue between my wife & me, & we worked out a schedule so I'd stay sane.

Now as the boys go to school & get more independent, my free time slowly returns (& when they're teens they'll want nothing to do w/ me :)) & I game w/ them now- LEGO Star Wars, multiplayer TMNT arcade, & Gauntlet, which is a dream come true for me personally. They actually took to it really well!

I never saw lukemorse's vids but I heard what happened, Im sure many gamers were upset w/ his wife/considered her a bitch/etc but she had a point. There's so much more to life than Youtube & video games, & human relationships magnify that even more. Even though my wife bought me my Xevious coinop, she only tolerates my gaming & expects me to spend time w/ her on my nights off, which is fair. I try to save my personal hobby stuff for my own time, which is often difficult. I cleared out a bunch of my gaming stuff & mags, knowing I'd never get around to it, & for space needs. But Im aware even though gaming came long before my wife, she's more important & a PERSON & gaming always takes a backseat to human relationships.

As far as Gamester81 goes, from what I can tell, his wife's not into it like he is, unlike some of these lucky guys who share gaming w/ their wifes/gfs, but either shes very understanding of his passion for the hobby, or just doesnt care what he does.

Edited by RJ

Non-gaming, probably even nerdier podcast alert!

POINTS OF ARTICULATION- Phil Theobald of Player One Podcast...uh, er..."fame" co-hosts a toy-centric podcast. LEGO, NInja Turtles, Transformers, etc are discussed. Preliminary scans detect high levels of nerdity...listen at your own coolness risk.

Im currently deep into LEGO so i'll give this one a listen. Phil's presence likely makes it more enjoyable than the actual "official" Lego podcast.

Rob O'Hara is keeping on his promise for keepin' up podcats. He did a podcast on Hohocon, which was nostalgic to listen to. I didn't go to that one, but went to Defcon in '94, so it was just as nostalgic to hear. Hack/phreak nostalgia is just as fun to listen to as video game nostalgia.

Rob's latest is on Radio scanners. i can relate this time, as my parents had a scanner to hear police banter, AND my dad pirated HBO w/ a homemade antenna. I played a trick on him once, I yelled out "ther's a guy outside with a clipboard looking at the roof!" & my dad freaked. :lol:

You even have the ball-modded CV controllers. That's a heck of a collection, great fuel for more podcast episodes.

Yurkie friggin rocks... I am in love with my modded colecovision. I also had a Jaguar rotary controller modded by Nick Persijn for tempest 2000. we a show after the competition, and it should be up by the end of the week.

Well, if I had the time, motivation, & knowhow, I would. I'd just as soon start as a guest or doing segments for someone, rather than jump in headfirst alone with subpar results. I know that doesnt sound fair, the way I trash some podcasts left & right, but I never said I could do a better job. I really doubt I could come up with new topics consistently, or even record on a regular basis.

Plus I'm not into the subject matter as much as I used to be- a lot of these guys are at the "enthusiasm point" of gaming that I was around 10 yrs ago, & now Im on the downslide. As much as I used to praise the AllGen Gamers podcast, Im getting kinda bored of it, & those guys are around my age. I dont have the same level of interest I used to, as real life intrudes. My gaming schedule now is maybe a few times a week with my boys for an hour, some iPod Touch at work on breaks, & when I visit DeLeo's.

That said, I still enjoy/appreciate podcasts, & look forward to more gaming with my sons.

Edited by RJ

So those who have talked on here about making their own retro gaming podcast from scratch: We would love to hear your first episode. RJ, you should start your own podcast, or just do a 1-off episode for mine. :)

I love reading this thread, but along with my large lack of confidence in the podcasting area, as well as commitment issues, it has frightened me enough to keep putting it off. It's going on 3 years now that I've had the idea for my podcast. I really want to do it, I have the first few episodes mapped out, I also have the full support of my wife, I just cannot pull the trigger. I really hate that about myself. Maybe if I get a Libsyn account now, I will feel like I am wasting money if I don't start doing a podcast. Also, if anyone can point me to a good learning source for XML and RSS or whatever it is, I would appreciate it.

I had bounced the idea of doing a podcast along with my buddies over at Retrocade Magazine but the logistics of doing a regular show eluded most of us.

I tell you the golden rules I would lay down for any podcast I would make though.

1) Regular shows, like weekly if possible. Nothing worse than enjoying a show and they stop releasing episodes.

2) Keep it under an hour. Much as I enjoy Retrogaming Roundup there are times those six hour marathons get a little bit too much.

3) No interviews, or at least keep them to a minimum. People often put interviews in as filler and if there are too many it feels like it.

• Like 2

Just as those who have writer's block, I seem to have podcastin' block, and it's been going on for over a month. Tried to record a segment, all written out in advance in google docs, and end up rushing it on execution. It sounds like a mess.

I've got a bunch of episodes mapped out on what I wanna talk about. For some podcasts that we rip on, some of them have amazing abilities to go on forever. I mean there's the Video Game Rescue RF Generation Nation(I get the 2 confused, unless they are the same podcast) that had a 4 hour episode. That was just about collecting!

Watch me abandon podcasting altogether if I can break my 4+ year streak of being single. Heh.

Well, kinda like what I said above, hookin' up (human relationships) more important that anything to do with video games. If you did give up your podcast for a sig/o, I got no problem w/ that.

This is true. Or, maybe there's a Hollywood happy ending where I meet a woman who knows her classic gaming + 80s nostalgic chops, and we can have a podcast together. But I probably stand a better chance at winning the Powerball. It would be tough to find a woman who's obsessed with 80s nostalgia as much as I am. I've been exposed to lethal doses.

• Like 1

Just unsubscribed from Classic L337. It's 90% modern gaming talk, and I'm still looking for the remaining 10%.

I was mentioned(via my Facebook name Ryan Wx) on No Quarters for the suggestion of reviewing pinball games. The only challenge is that both hosts need to find the same machine to review.

Just unsubscribed from Classic L337. It's 90% modern gaming talk, and I'm still looking for the remaining 10%.

Yeah I have a big problem with podcasts or even video channels that are apparently supposed to be about classic games when in fact very little content is focused on it. If you want to do the new stuff (like a million others) than DO IT but don't try to come off like you are all about the classics.

• Like 1

'Bout time. At first they were good & tried to keep it 50/50, w/ an occasional overbalance. I jumped ship right around when Gooch & the Dooshbag showed up & started low-classing the whole operation. With names like that, you know they're going to morning zoo-ify the place.

Honestly, just keep/use your real names like Fred & Steve...Karl & Ed...Mike & Carrington Vanston III, Esquire...

• Like 1