IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

Thanks guys for talking up Now You're playing..., I listened to the first ep and something annoyed me about it, so I stopped. I'm going to start listening again based on the reviews here.

Sometimes you can't judge a podcast based on the first episode. You have to give 'em a couple episodes until they get comfortable.

As for a non-video game related podcast, Tcmedianow.com has a podcast that's also on KLBB radio(remember am/fm radio?). They do a 'cast about twin cities media nostalgia, ie radio and television. They had the guy who did the Channel 9 bumpers and promos which was very nostalgic to hear. They play tons of clips from the 80s and such that's great if you lived in the twin cities. A

• Like 2

RetroNick is in serious danger of being unsubscribed.

1. 20 minutes in, there's no "retro" in RetroNick. Way too much modern gaming talk.

2. Lots of hootin' & hollerin' but not much actual discussion

3. A basic podcasting fundamental - turn off your cell phones, is not being listened to. Phones ring, and naturally the other hosts attention gets diverted to that.

4. Just too much chaos & swearing.

Okay, why the hell did I even subscribe to this childish podcast?

However, the "Arcade and Retro Podcast" from the UK(it was mentioned on here numerous pages ago), I finally got around to subscribing & listening to. A great podcast. They talk about ZX Spectrum and such. Totally worth listening to: B+ Sorry, I don't have the URL on me(at work).

Oh yep, I heard it last night when I downloaded ep 3. However...

NYPWPODCAST said..."Cybermorph is complete trash."

Wrong.

Looking over at the # of locked threads on the Jag subforum on here, I'm totally cool with not covering a Jag game launch. :)

As for the tc media now podcast, it was just Ernie for tonight, but most likely Tommy B and Dave Moore & friends will be featured in future episodes.

i do not like cybermorph. i always hated games that mocked people for bad play... especially when the games that mock the player are not pick up and play type titles. the first example i remember of this was skate or die on the NES. in cybermorph, when green sinead o conner keeps asking me where i learned to fly, my patience for the game went to zero.

but i am not a total jaguar hater. i have a decent collection of games for it, and it will be featured in my next hexadecathlon in january in the form of tempest 2000 with a rotary controller.

that said, the jag launch wasnt very good in a saturated market. too much me too marketing and too many me too games... not enough tempest 2000s

• Like 1

I am almost through all of the episodes of console launches on Now You're Playing With Podcast; great, great stuff. It sounds like the hosts know what they are saying instead of reading off Wikipedia, and no screaming at the iPod when pre NES stuff is mentioned, like with most other podcasts I listen to. I think I am older than the hosts (43), but they definitely make up for that in knowledge. Thanks again to the people who recommended this. It takes a lot for me to listen to a podcast that's not on iTunes, I can be pretty lazy.

• Like 1

I know i first heard about & got NYPWP from DP thru a link there.

In other news, the latest AllGen Gamers, where they discuss the 2012 VGAs, is a great sleep aid! I need to take a nap before work tonight & listening to the show really helps. I think it's 2+ hrs long too. YAWN.

I deleted it from my iPod & in doing so was able to fit everything else that auto-downloaded for me this week. Huzzah!

Edited by RJ

yes, I was just thinking about the old K-Mart Christmas commercial song the other day...& then there it was! I sang right along.

AND I just subscribed to TCmedianow, they're on iTunes. Latest ep. has Mike Walcher from WCCO. I remember EXACTLY what he looks like.

Edited by RJ

Yeah on retronauts apparently a listener was able to resurrect a "lost" November show that needed some aural cleanup. (How/why a listener did it, & not someone associated w/ the show, is beyond me.) Anyhoo, no amount of audio magickery can fix the irreparably broken voice of Kat Bailey, who once again is a guest.

Try this: at around 3:48 in, Kat emits an extremely annoying laugh. Its very subtle, you might miss it. Now imagine that looped about 25 time, & THATS what her voice sounds like to me ALL THE TIME.

Also, the host mentions a PS1 game, Turnabout, appearing on PSN. He talks it down a bit, says the music is coma-inducing. I'd say "calming" but both the game & the music are excellent. Whenever there's a puzzle game thread I always mention Turnabout.

As I was scouring itunes.com intentionally-bad interface for podcasts to listen to, I found this description:

" Two lovely chaps discuss their favorite computer games of the last 20 years from the unique,"

Okay, so let's look at the last episode description.

This week Vince and Dave discuss the Starfox 64 3D, Final Fantasy VI, Peter Molyneux and take a look at the most mindbendly stupid comment of the week in a section we are calling 'Dumbass Comment of the Week'. Then we reminisce about the highs and lows of Pokemon Red, Blue and Yelow. And finally will this be the week that Dave outfoxes Vince with the Superstar Challenge segment! Listen in to find out....

Wow, Pokemon AND Final Fantasy? Face to the palm. No episodes after that, guess they ran out of Mega Final Fantemons to collect.

• Like 2