IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

http://www.nowyoureplayingwith.com/episode-31-hexadecathlon-64/

NYPWP Episode 31 - Hexadecathlon 64 is up!!

Good stuff. I liked the old-school internet references(worthy of an episode in and of itself) and talk of Ohio's pinball champion. Lots of fun humor as always. And the token FF reference.

You guys going to Midwest Gaming Classic? I'm not going this year, but it's worth it.

Also, I realized with my cheap $4 earbuds(with mic) I can record with an iPod, with voice memos. It uses the mic! I can do on-the-scene reporting now.

Edited by S1500
  • Like 1

We are likely going to CGE in Vegas this year. I am excited for MGC with their outdoor expansion (hopefully the weather will cooperate) but I can only afford to take one real trip a year, and with the sporatic nature of CGE, that looks to be this year's winner.

and i agree about internet nostalgia. you and i should do a CCG on that.

We are likely going to CGE in Vegas this year. I am excited for MGC with their outdoor expansion (hopefully the weather will cooperate) but I can only afford to take one real trip a year, and with the sporatic nature of CGE, that looks to be this year's winner.

I would be down for an episode of that. The one "dead site" I miss from yesteryear is Space Station Homeless. But nobody remembers it.

What's fun about MGC is that while pinball isn't the primary focus of the show, it still(to me) has a bigger pinball presence than Pinball Expo in Chicago. Still remember when everyone was crowded around a shut-off Wizard of Oz, never seen by the public before.

With flights to Vegas, they are always cheap. I'm curious about the Portland retro gaming expo and want to go to one. That and I've seen too many episodes of Portlandia.

Portland is great. but when you add everything up, it is twice as expensive as vegas. The one advantage the vegas show has is the number of alumni that attend. That and the museum are the highlights of the show. The arcade and pinball have been lacking a bit, but the Pinball Hall of Fame is a nice diversion to get your pin fix.

Hey S1500.

I went back and listened to your "Ancient Magazines" CCG episode recently. Very cool. I have a box of old ones from back in the day as well; Electronic Games, Video Games, Electronic Fun With Computers And Games, Videogaming Illustrated, Compute... always fun to go back and read them.

We'll probably do a segment on ads in a future Intellivisionaries. After all, that's what got us interested in the new games in the pre-Internet era!

• Like 2

I only remember going online (text only) at the public library for Jaguar game hints & tips.

& when I met my wife in Jan '98, she gave me her Juno email address, & I didnt know WTF it was, much less had any use for it.

Anything older than that, I learned from ANTIC Aug 1986 "Going Online".

• Like 4

I used the local library systems as a telnet(not telenet) gateway to get to a shell account I had. The admins were wising up to me and kicking me off late night.I forgot if I just chose the gopher menu option, or just broke out it & did 'telnet derp.net'

My early Internet days were with my Atari ST - USENET, Lynx, FTP, and eventually a browser called CAB. Used it on my Atari Falcon after that. A whole new world to discover... although I do kind of miss the BBS days, FidoNet, forums, etc.

• Like 1

My friend had a C64 in 1987, and we used to go on Q-Link. I thought it was absolutely AMAZING, but I was still scared of computers. I didn't get one until 1995, it came out of a dumpster and had a block of wood inside to hold the hard disk in. The guy I worked with put it together for me. I had been using Usenet previous to this on my father-in-law's computer, now I could use it at home! I used to have Usenet auctions, and I remember being so happy when I discovered what copy and paste was. I used good ol' Netscape Navigator and used Netcom for my ISP. What a fun time that was.

• Like 3

http://fundanything.com/patenttroll

Pardon my preachiness, but as a podcast listener and podcaster this issue is important to me. I won't get too deep into the discussion on this post, but I feel the need to spread the world. I do not want to end up paying a license to podcast in the future.

I agree. I haven't looked into this really hard yet because I don't make any money from my podcast, but that won't make a difference if the patent troll wins. Thanks for posting this Chris.

• Like 1

Hopefully CGE wont be as sporatic now that it is being run by a dedicated crew from RetroGamingRoundup with myself as the Console Area Department Head :) Already working on getting a 5 vs 5 Steel Battalion setup for the show, have multiple consoles already committed plus tournaments for prizes (such as a signed copy of Gamester81 the videogame (he will be at the show to hand out the prize) Big things are happening for this years CGE, it should be epic! Larger console area, vendor area, arcade. Our goal for this year is to really grow the show!

Hopefully CGE wont be as sporatic now that it is being run by a dedicated crew from RetroGamingRoundup with myself as the Console Area Department Head :) Already working on getting a 5 vs 5 Steel Battalion setup for the show, have multiple consoles already committed plus tournaments for prizes (such as a signed copy of Gamester81 the videogame (he will be at the show to hand out the prize) Big things are happening for this years CGE, it should be epic! Larger console area, vendor area, arcade. Our goal for this year is to really grow the show!

I thought this was only a one year thing, you guys are running it now for the foreseeable future? If so, do you have any idea if the show will return to August?

You mean rec.games.video.classic? After a while, it became a marketplace, so I migrated over here.

Oh THE SPACE BOSS.

I believe I posted them in rec.games.video.marketplace, but there may have been some in rec.games.video.classic too. I don't exactly remember.

I thought this was only a one year thing, you guys are running it now for the foreseeable future? If so, do you have any idea if the show will return to August?

the goal is to make it yearly and I believe back in august. it all depends on this show this year. That is why we are pushing everyone to use the code to reserve rooms at the Riveria to show the hotel what we can do for them. It is also why the team is working diligently to make this particular show "over the top" to get interest built back up for the event! :) on that note, if anyone wants to bring a console to be played in the console area, I can be reached at console@vegasretroexpo.com. If you do a podcast, youtube show, blog it would neat to have a small sign to put next to your console saying who owns it, where it came from and details about your show.

• Like 1

Heckuva weekend for podcasting:

1. Yes, I'm convinced the next episode of the Intellivisonaires will be a 24/7 audio stream. :)

2. Noticed( and enjoyed) all the cross-podcast bumpers you hear throughout all of 'em. Let's make more of these.

3. I noticed each weekend I go on a listening spree, 2 podcasts will coincidentally mention the same game. A while back it was "Shaq Fu". This time it was Windjammers for the Neo Geo.

4. Kinda threw me off-guard to hear the same person hosting on 2 podcasts. It's a well-blended community we have.

• Like 2