IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

I discovered yesterday that on the iPad the PODCASTS are actually DOWNLOADED, not streaming. So I tested this theory, and listened to the podcast of ANTIC all the way to and from the Grocery store! That's great! I loved listening to more of it today to/from Work. I wonder if this is the same for my iPhone? I'm always afraid it will actually eat my minutes from my data package.

I discovered yesterday that on the iPad the PODCASTS are actually DOWNLOADED, not streaming. So I tested this theory, and listened to the podcast of ANTIC all the way to and from the Grocery store! That's great! I loved listening to more of it today to/from Work. I wonder if this is the same for my iPhone? I'm always afraid it will actually eat my minutes from my data package.

Dude, you're completely missing out on the greatness of podcasts if you're always tethered to a Wi-Fi connection. :D

I have an iPhone 5S with iOS7, and I'm not sure how previous models or iOS versions work, but with mine I use the "podcasts" app. When a new show comes up for one of my subscribed podcasts, I just hit the download icon and it copies right to the device so I can listen on the way to work without burning all kinds of data on my cell plan.

• Like 1

Dude, you're completely missing out on the greatness of podcasts if you're always tethered to a Wi-Fi connection. :D

I have an iPhone 5S with iOS7, and I'm not sure how previous models or iOS versions work, but with mine I use the "podcasts" app. When a new show comes up for one of my subscribed podcasts, I just hit the download icon and it copies right to the device so I can listen on the way to work without burning all kinds of data on my cell plan.

I do this, too, man, it's great, :)

Scary thing: I was listening to a PODCAST the last 30 minutes (OFF THE CLOCK) at work while printing a test, and then in the truck on the way home...but when i unplugged the audio jack from the tape-converter for the truck's speakers, it said something about CONNECTING TO CELL or something TO CONTINUE STREAMING? ...I freaked out thinking (and am STILL not sure) if I was STREAMING the full hour using up my cell-time!!! that's freaking scary, to me. I should have put it into PLANE mode to be SURE it wasn't burning my CELLULAR time, now i'm not even sure, and I'm horrified. BTW I have an iPhone 4S...

yeah, i have the PODCAST app, but I thought it DOWNLOADED...was i really STREAMING? That SUCKS

Edited by Falconhood

Scary thing: I was listening to a PODCAST the last 30 minutes (OFF THE CLOCK) at work while printing a test, and then in the truck on the way home...but when i unplugged the audio jack from the tape-converter for the truck's speakers, it said something about CONNECTING TO CELL or something TO CONTINUE STREAMING? ...I freaked out thinking (and am STILL not sure) if I was STREAMING the full hour using up my cell-time!!! that's freaking scary, to me. I should have put it into PLANE mode to be SURE it wasn't burning my CELLULAR time, now i'm not even sure, and I'm horrified. BTW I have an iPhone 4S...

yeah, i have the PODCAST app, but I thought it DOWNLOADED...was i really STREAMING? That SUCKS

Go into settings -> podcasts and flick the "use cellular data" switch to off. If you do that, then you will be prompted before any cell data is used for podcasts.

I have that switch turned off on my phone, and I've had messages pop up asking if I want to continue streaming something using cellular data. It happens if I start listening to something via internet stream over wi-fi, then I walk out to my car and lose the wi-fi signal. The whole point of that is to give you the opportunity to say no, so you don't unwittingly burn through all kinds of cellular data.

Bear in mind, you have the choice of either downloading podcasts right on to your device, streaming them from the net, or some combination thereof. If you just search for a podcast and tap on it, the phone will attempt to stream it. If you're connected to a wi-fi network, the phone will use that. If not, and you have cell data turned off, it will ask about using the cellular data. If you would rather download podcasts (which I highly recommend), then search for the ones you want and tap on the icon that looks like a little cloud with a downward pointing arrow.

It can be tricky if you have fat fingers like me, because sometimes I try to tap on the download button but the phone registers it as just tapping on the podcast name. You'll know it's working correctly if you see the word "downloading" pop up, along with a circular progress meter. Don't forget, if you're trying to load up your phone before you hit the road, you need to give it time to download the stuff. I find a typical ~1 hour podcast takes about 5 minutes or so to download over wi-fi.

• Like 1

oh, okay, then that must have been what it asked, because when i went to settings it was definitely turned off. good thing too.

I am glad to have a smart phone. I am not afraid of getting lost anymore since the GPS helps me find my way without printing maps, and I like that it finds short cuts for me.

I had a Samsung flip-phone when my wife was pregnant, just in case, but I used it so infrequently it wasnt worth having & paying for. I lost track of it months ago, dont even know where it is now. One less headache, I say.

• Like 1

It's relative I guess. I don't begrudge anyone their smartphone, but I've survived 44 years without one, I can go a few more. :D

I said the same thing last year (but 42 years without one). I refused to pay twice as much a month to become addicted like so many I see walking around stores staring at their phone. I still make fun of those ppl that can't live without facebook for more than 5 minutes. But the GPS makes it worth everything to me. I have anxiety attacks about going somewhere new, and I haven't had them since. I guess because I don't fear getting lost anymore. There's other great features, but the GPS was the main thing for me since I really wanted to go to another town to get some Laserdiscs (70 for $50) but I was afraid of getting lost outside my safety zone. Thankfully the guy came to Raleigh to a bike store having a sale and agreed to meet me there.

Other great advantages: When you are on wifi you are not using your minutes per month, nor your data.

The PODCAST is something new to ME. I'll master it just as I have other things in the past. But this has been the first week I've used it without being tethered to a computer.

Edited by Falconhood

Eh, whazzat? Whadja say sonny?

Seriiously though, if I need to be contacted I have email, FB, & a very novel idea- call me at home on the teleo-phone. Believe it or not, it works fine & people used it for generations.

I refused to pay twice as much a month to become addicted like so many I see walking around stores staring at their phone. I still make fun of those ppl that can't live without facebook for more than 5 minutes.

Yeah, this is definitely a shame. Nothing is more depressing than looking around and seeing everybody around you staring at a phone. I say this while at the same time being one of those people (although I do try to be mindful of it and sometimes turn the thing off and leave it in my coat or whatever). The problem is, I'm a bit of an introvert, and having a little computer in your pocket makes for a constant temptation.

I'd say that if you find you get along fine without one then keep it that way. Contrary to what lots of people will try to tell you, it does not make your life better. And, once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

• Like 1