IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

You pulled off the Jeopardy! game very well, with (so it seems on the recording) minimal interruptions from loser hecklers.

"NAMCO!!"

"do we have a yeller? No yelling!"

(BTW any "gamer" unfamiliar with the Zelda theme should've been shown the door. Even I know it & I've played exactly 2 Zelda games in my life, LTTP & that downloadable DSi one)

thanks

i gave a little grief to both the guy that didn't know zelda and the guy that knew the game quarterback attack

that sounds fun!

i will need to figure out how to fly the jeopardy console and a projector out to vegas, but an Intellivision edition of Starcade could be super awesome.

I'm not at all familiar with the Jeopardy console, but it sounds like too much work to bring on a plane.

But an Intellivision Starcade would be awesome. Hmm, I'm sure we could put something together like that.

(BTW any "gamer" unfamiliar with the Zelda theme should've been shown the door. Even I know it & I've played exactly 2 Zelda games in my life, LTTP & that downloadable DSi one)

I'm familiar with Zelda, but believe it or not, I've never played any of the games. When I had my NES I did the Dragon Warrior, Ultima and Final Fantasy thing. Nothing against Zelda, just never got around to it.

Also, I never liked Tetris. Never owned a Gameboy of any kind. I had a Lynx.

[ducks .. takes cover]

Edited by nurmix
  • Like 1

I was never a GameBoy fan either- Lynx all the way. I bought it at the mall & went straight to my Old Country Buffet job. When my manager saw the box & asked about it, I replied in all seriousness, "Phil, this is the future of video games."

& that's my point on the Zelda thing, you dont have to PLAY a game, to be familiar with it- as the contestant protested. Any gamer worth their salt...uh, rupees...should know that iconic music.

• Like 1

did anyone *cough s1500* get the reference with my category "Video Games that start with the letter Q"?

I'll admit, I didn't, or did I? I assume this is a reference sometimes overly-difficult categories sometimes seen on Jeopardy? Not unlike "16th Century Belgian Philosophers" - a whole category of them.

• Like 1

I'll admit, I didn't, or did I? I assume this is a reference sometimes overly-difficult categories sometimes seen on Jeopardy? Not unlike "16th Century Belgian Philosophers" - a whole category of them.

nope, it was from 'White Men Can't Jump', Rosie Perez studies to be on Jeopardy, and one of the categories she studies for is 'Foods that start with Q' and it actually comes up in the show. But say it with Rosie's accent and it was memorable... but to only me i guess.

http://youtu.be/FAy7xc2Cksg?t=2m18s

• Like 1

"pow" "pow" "pow,pow pow"

i was thinking "tv pow: drunk production assistant whose brother is the station manager edition" where our production assistant hero taps the fire button a few times without even pretending to be in synch with the caller.

i was thinking "tv pow: drunk production assistant whose brother is the station manager edition" where our production assistant hero taps the fire button a few times without even pretending to be in synch with the caller.

The whole "pow TV" concept was just silly and amusing at the same time. 1979's version of interactive television. And really, the only use for Triple Action, the 1-button wonder. I wonder if other games can be "pow TV" compatible like bit trip beat. Okay, maybe not that one.

• Like 1

I like where you're going with this...

• Like 1

The whole "pow TV" concept was just silly and amusing at the same time. 1979's version of interactive television. And really, the only use for Triple Action, the 1-button wonder. I wonder if other games can be "pow TV" compatible like bit trip beat. Okay, maybe not that one.

Agreed. Except it was Sharp Shot, not Triple Action (at least the only TV Pow broadcasts I ever saw were, and the ones I used clips of in episode 9 were all using Sharp Shot - the game designed for 4 year olds. Seriously).

Triple Action, on the other hand, is great fun, because of the Biplanes game. The tanks are OK, the cars... not so much.

• Like 2

Agreed. Except it was Sharp Shot, not Triple Action (at least the only TV Pow broadcasts I ever saw were, and the ones I used clips of in episode 9 were all using Sharp Shot - the game designed for 4 year olds. Seriously).

Triple Action, on the other hand, is great fun, because of the Biplanes game. The tanks are OK, the cars... not so much.

That's the one I was thinkin' of.

Idea for Inty Jeopardy: "Overlays". Describe what the overlay looks like, but don't show it. Guess the game.

• Like 2

TV POWW was known as TV PIXX in our area, because it was on WPIX out of NYC. They never picked my card. From the samples on your episode Paul, it sounded like the players had yet to discover yelling POWW constantly to shoot.

As for the Q category, I should have picked up on that. I bought a quince for the first time in my life this week and I've been going around saying "What is a Quince?" to myself all week long, because I'm a dummy.

• Like 3

No Quarter mentioned the PAPA tournament in Colorado. A mention was made about some recognizable faces in the pictures. Yes, I recognized one in one of the photos just from his shirt. Small world the pinball world is.

TV POWW was known as TV PIXX in our area, because it was on WPIX out of NYC. They never picked my card. From the samples on your episode Paul, it sounded like the players had yet to discover yelling POWW constantly to shoot.

As for the Q category, I should have picked up on that. I bought a quince for the first time in my life this week and I've been going around saying "What is a Quince?" to myself all week long, because I'm a dummy.

I remember watching TV Pow as a kid, and yeah, there was always that one kid who would just go "pow!pow!pow!pow!pow!pow!pow!pow!pow!pow!pow!pow!pow!pow!pow!pow!pow!pow!pow!pow!" the entire time. Way faster than any human (or Intellivision) could respond. I don't remember if that kid would win or not though...

• Like 1

I'm trying to listen to the Gizmonics Institute podcast. I really am. The skit before the discussion starts makes no sense. It might be funny to them, but it's 100% lost on me. Then the show goes onto the main topic, and their discussion is still lost on me.

You can't even really tell they are even talking about a MST3K episode. They are just making their own discussion without any reference to the listener. Going to get unsubscribed pretty quickly here.

Also, I really miss the [Refresh] button on iTunes. Why did they take that out? I use that button!

So for the first time in history, Digital Press's podcast episode downloaded on iTunes.

The kicker: The episode is over 16 hours long. This has to be a typo, or a computer error. That's 2 RGR episodes, 3 Intellivisionaries episodes, or 4 or so Retro Obscura episodes.

Oh, and Lock Is Lit is now on the Throwback Network. I would like to think that was my idea. :)

If this is not a typo/computer error, you deserve a medal for listening to the whole thing. Difficulty level: E3.