IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

I was interviewed on the latest Ten Pence Arcade (episode 15). So in addition to their great content, you can hear me babble on and on about arcade games and my personal home arcade, instead of the Intellivision.

Of course if you're just flat out sick of me in general, don't hold it against Vic and Alex. Give the show a listen and just skip my part!

http://tenpencearcade.co.uk/

• Like 1

In the twin cities, there's a retro gaming club that has been around since 2010. I've since joined their FB group. They get together monthly. So far, attempts to lobby them to start a podcast have failed.

Correction, it just might be turning around. And that's a good thing.

New Retronauts is about the Intellivision. They say in the blog post about the show that none of them owned one at the time, so we'll see how it goes.

Well they did have 2 RPGs for it, but none of them were Final Fantasy. This might be difficult.

• Like 2

Tried the Intellivisionaries podcast. The 3 main hosts are great, the music is fun, and the topics are terrific. I'm really looking forward to the interviews with the programmers.

[but]

THANK GOD for their episode notes on the Intellivisionaries webpage. Now I know EXACTLY how far to skip ahead so I can avoid the talky, repepetitive, sales-pitchy crap from the Retrogaming Roundup people. I don't listen to their show (it's boring, unfocused, and offensive) so I don't appreciate it being stuck into an otherwise excellent presentation. You'd think their short promos would suffice for cross-promotional purposes. I know you guys are probably friends and helping each other in other ways, but they're really stinking up your podcast.

But thanks to the liner notes, voila! A 3+ hour podcast becomes relevant and interesting again. If you could put chapter breaks into the podcast files, I'd like that even more.

Tried the Intellivisionaries podcast. The 3 main hosts are great, the music is fun, and the topics are terrific. I'm really looking forward to the interviews with the programmers.

[but]

THANK GOD for their episode notes on the Intellivisionaries webpage. Now I know EXACTLY how far to skip ahead so I can avoid the talky, repepetitive, sales-pitchy crap from the Retrogaming Roundup people. I don't listen to their show (it's boring, unfocused, and offensive) so I don't appreciate it being stuck into an otherwise excellent presentation. You'd think their short promos would suffice for cross-promotional purposes. I know you guys are probably friends and helping each other in other ways, but they're really stinking up your podcast.

But thanks to the liner notes, voila! A 3+ hour podcast becomes relevant and interesting again. If you could put chapter breaks into the podcast files, I'd like that even more.

Thanks, Flojomojo.

Correct, I am friends with the RGR guys, and I enjoy their shows. I have done music for their show (remixed their themes tune, and some other things). They were very helpful in getting me going with The Intellivisionaries - putting me in touch with Keith Robinson, as well as offering other assistance.

I realize not everyone likes their show, and that's fine. I run promo / commercials for Game Gavel and RGR in most of the episodes, and am happy to do so for other podcasts I enjoy, like ColecoVisions, 2600 GBG, as well as talk about and promote other podcasts in our "Non-Intellivision Mentions..." segments.

I interviewed SoCal Mike several episodes ago when he was running the Kickstarter for Retro magazine. And I interviewed Scott and UK Mike in a recent episode because we wanted to get the lowdown on Classic Gaming Expo, which THEY are running this year. I wanted to promote the expo, so that as many people as possible know about it, and [hopefully] attend. We will be doing additional promotions for CGE in the coming months as well. If they weren't running it, I would have done the same thing with the guys who have run it in previous years.

I assume those are the segments that you didn't like. I don't intend to have lengthy segments with the RGR guys in the foreseeable future, but if I do, as you mentioned, simply skip that part in the timeline and you'll be good to go.

• Like 2

Thanks for taking this in the spirit in which it was given, Nurmix. I'm listening to the Beauty and Beast podcast (well, you haven't actually started talking about that game yet), and the Keith Robinson stuff is AWESOME to have. Very candid and fresh, at least to me.

For what it's worth, I've now caught Intellivision fever and can't wait for the Flashback unit. I'm not quite at the level of scouring Ebay to recreate my childhood collection, at least not yet, but if I do descend further, know that it's all because of you. :-D

• Like 4

Retro Obscura sounds awesome -- I wish I could listen to it. On all three of my MP3 players, you have to specify at least one category in which to group files: "Album," for instance, or "Artist." R.O. leaves all of their fields blank under "MP3 Details," and puts some kind of lock on each file that prevents any of the categories from being changed. I'm not sure if that brilliant decision was even intentional, and I suppose it's not terribly useful to complain about a free podcast anyway. :)

Retro Obscura sounds awesome -- I wish I could listen to it. On all three of my MP3 players, you have to specify at least one category in which to group files: "Album," for instance, or "Artist." R.O. leaves all of their fields blank under "MP3 Details," and puts some kind of lock on each file that prevents any of the categories from being changed. I'm not sure if that brilliant decision was even intentional, and I suppose it's not terribly useful to complain about a free podcast anyway. :)

I only have iTunes, and I can go in and change stuff in the Retro Obscura file, so I'm assuming you're not using iTunes. I can give them a heads up if you'd like.

Despite being free podcasts, we all still want people to listen. If there's a problem with that, I'm sure we would all like to know about it!

• Like 2

T

I realize not everyone likes their show, and that's fine. I run promo / commercials for Game Gavel and RGR in most of the episodes, and am happy to do so for other podcasts I enjoy, like ColecoVisions, 2600 GBG, as well as talk about and promote other podcasts in our "Non-Intellivision Mentions..." segments.

:o so you are the one of the two downloads I get every month (I think Ferg is the other)....... hee hee. Thanks again for comming on to the show this past weekend, Gamester81 and I really enjoyed talking with you (even though SocalMike went MIA on us :) ). Would like for you to come back on in the future. again! I plan on posting the new show this weekend that features you :)

• Like 3

I only have iTunes, and I can go in and change stuff in the Retro Obscura file, so I'm assuming you're not using iTunes. I can give them a heads up if you'd like.

Despite being free podcasts, we all still want people to listen. If there's a problem with that, I'm sure we would all like to know about it!

Thanks, Ferg -- I appreciate it. They've written to me already, so that was kind of you. I don't use anything Apple-related as a rule, but my SansaClip players have worked with every other podcast, yours included. So I'm going to try downloading R.O. on another P.C. and seeing if the problem isn't something on my end.

In the meantime, I've been overdosing on the Retroist in between 2600 Game by Game episodes. That reminds me -- I've gotta send you my Asteroids story for next week, just in case the 47 million other submissions you'll receive for that game aren't enough. (That "This Is Chris" nickname grew funnier and funnier to me, the dumber it got. I don't know why. You're such a patient host, not to start swearing at some of us more major dorks.)

• Like 2

Thanks, Ferg -- I appreciate it. They've written to me already, so that was kind of you. I don't use anything Apple-related as a rule, but my SansaClip players have worked with every other podcast, yours included. So I'm going to try downloading R.O. on another P.C. and seeing if the problem isn't something on my end.

In the meantime, I've been overdosing on the Retroist in between 2600 Game by Game episodes. That reminds me -- I've gotta send you my Asteroids story for next week, just in case the 47 million other submissions you'll receive for that game aren't enough. (That "This Is Chris" nickname grew funnier and funnier to me, the dumber it got. I don't know why. You're such a patient host, not to start swearing at some of us more major dorks.)

Sorry Chris, I forgot this was you. :) Looking forward to your story! The listener feedback is my favorite part of the show. It makes me laugh a lot and I can relate to a lot of people that way, through 30 year old shared experiences, I suppose.

• Like 1

New Retronauts is about the Intellivision. They say in the blog post about the show that none of them owned one at the time, so we'll see how it goes.

You know you're in for a real treat when the listeners know more about the subject than the hosts.

• Like 1

You know you're in for a real treat when the listeners know more about the subject than the hosts.

I listened to it, and it was about what I expected. You can tell they were out of their element of expertise. Not much ground was covered. Yes, phone joke on the controllers.

Ugh, why do they bother? This is the podcast where Jeremy Parish reads out of Wikipedia a lot, right?

I think that was the old Retronauts, where they are usually caught up in some obscure Japanese RPG that only 3 people have heard of. They are truly in their old world. Typically, we are just listening into a close conversation with subject matters only they know about. No acknowledgement of a listener base(contrast against No Quarter, 2600GBG, etc) and they kind of just...talk.

Ties to IGN(back when it was) made me honestly think less of this podcast, where it seemed more like a commercial offering of a retro gaming podcast that misses the point entirely. It's like Steve Buscemi trying to portray a high school student.

If all the podcasts we love are Woodstock '69, Retronauts' way is "Woodstock '94" and later, now sponsored by Mountain Dew!

• Like 1

Intellivisionaries is one of the best podcasts I have run across in quite some time. I'm so glad there are many hours of episodes available -- this should last me the next month, easily. Great stuff, especially because I'm also catching "Intellivision fever" in spite of being only 20. :?

• Like 2

and.... it's pretty awful

<SARCASM>

Well, I learned something I didn't know about the Intellivision controller... Apparently it DOESN'T have side buttons.

Perhaps we'll have to add this to our next Intellivisionaries News segment, as this is BIG!

That said... I wonder what it is I've been pushing all these years when I play mine... Hmm... Curious...

</SARCASM>

Edited by nurmix

I wonder how many podcasts we enjoy wouldn't exist if this thread did not exist. Imagine a parallel world where the only thing to listen to was Arcade "Hey we're gonna be at Grinker's!" Outsiders and RetroCore, lifetime molden poddie winner.

• Like 2