IGNORED

Flashback 2+ for preorder on Atari.com, get a free T-shirt

Glad to see a new version of the Flashback 2. :)

The box artwork looks great.

It's been over 30 years since I received my 2600 for Christmas.

It doesn't seem possible that it was so long ago.

So many great memories with the Atari 2600.

Getting Pac-Man on the first day it was available (I think it was $60.00) from a Mom and Pop store called The Video Connection in Sayville.

The first time I saw Asteroids playing on the Atari 2600 in Time Square Stores on Long Island blew me away (no more quarters needed).

It was a wonderful experience to see the birth of the Home Video Game Console and the Video Game Arcades.

Sorry for getting nostalgic.

To make a long story short, I will be picking a couple of these up.

Thanks to everyone involved in making this beautiful piece of retro gaming hardware.

Edited by mylinuxbookmarks
  • Like 3

Does anyone know how long the pre orders will be available? The wife and I are in a bit of a financial crunch so it will be a bit before we can do this thing.

Also... is there a radio commercial for the Flashback 2 in general? I'll be happy to advertise for free. You can be heard by potentially six or seven people at once on Town Park Radio! Lol.

...actually while I'm at that, I'll happily advertise for homebrews and hardware and whatnot. I think it would be neat if more awareness could be spread on these types of projects.

• Like 1

Modding isn't the answer depending on the game you want. For example, Star Raiders - won't work in a modded FB.

I'm all set with my light sixer, Harmony cart and FB2. Hopefully this rehash of the same product generates enough sales to justify a FB3.

I been loosely following this thread and while I am happy for the re-release of the Flashback Two, to hear that Star Raiders ALMOST made the list (but doesn't work) was like a huge "Awwww Man!". Star Raiders was one of my favorite games on the 2600. I loved the extra control panel.

At any rate it did get me to thinking that if Curt had problems getting Star Raiders to work on-board...would a cartridge Star Raiders work on a modded console? Apparently you are saying it will not. Curt, can you verify this that the Star Raiders cartridge will not work on a modded FB2.

How about the Activision version of Star Raiders, I think it was called Star Master. Will that one work on a modded console?

Thanx,

Geo

Modding isn't the answer depending on the game you want. For example, Star Raiders - won't work in a modded FB.

I'm all set with my light sixer, Harmony cart and FB2. Hopefully this rehash of the same product generates enough sales to justify a FB3.

I been loosely following this thread and while I am happy for the re-release of the Flashback Two, to hear that Star Raiders ALMOST made the list (but doesn't work) was like a huge "Awwww Man!". Star Raiders was one of my favorite games on the 2600. I loved the extra control panel.

At any rate it did get me to thinking that if Curt had problems getting Star Raiders to work on-board...would a cartridge Star Raiders work on a modded console? Apparently you are saying it will not. Curt, can you verify this that the Star Raiders cartridge will not work on a modded FB2.

How about the Activision version of Star Raiders, I think it was called Star Master. Will that one work on a modded console?

Thanx,

Geo

Earlier in this thread, Curt said that the game will work. It's the controller that will not, as the FB2 carries voltage lower than a real 2600. Further modification, relatively simple, would make it work.

So Count Chocula has more pull to get a FB released than we do? :)

That's nothing new. The original Windows 3.1-based Activisions Classics eventually wound up stuck to a cereal box.

Except it was the Honey Nut Cheerios Bee that had the pull this time, not Count Chocula. And for everyone trying that web based app, my understanding is the stuff is going to be pushed on the boxes themselves. I think the app is just extra.

That's nothing new. The original Windows 3.1-based Activisions Classics eventually wound up stuck to a cereal box.

Except it was the Honey Nut Cheerios Bee that had the pull this time, not Count Chocula. And for everyone trying that web based app, my understanding is the stuff is going to be pushed on the boxes themselves. I think the app is just extra.

If the web app is the one on the website, I believe it to be fixed. Just tried it, and it CLEARLY stopped on the lower left winner part, then blinked up to the Try Again Tomorrow upper right part :mad:

Not cool, General Mills.

• Like 1

Not gonna keep me from trying!! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

If the web app is the one on the website, I believe it to be fixed. Just tried it, and it CLEARLY stopped on the lower left winner part, then blinked up to the Try Again Tomorrow upper right part :mad:

Not cool, General Mills.

Thats not right at all. Send General Mills an email, whats the worst that could happen? Probably get some coupons if anything, possibly a FB2+ best case.

• Like 1

Earlier in this thread, Curt said that the game will work. It's the controller that will not, as the FB2 carries voltage lower than a real 2600. Further modification, relatively simple, would make it work.

Is there a mod posted here to get it to work?

Thanx,

Geo

No. Earlier in this thread, Curt mentioned something about it. You'd have to go from there, meaning at least start by going back and reading that post, probably start your own inquiry thread, etc.

If not here, I'm sure you could find someone to tell you the best way to alter the voltage on the benheck.com forums. I could figure it out with a bit of diddling but sorry, I'm not going there.

Edited by brojamfootball

Okay, I am stoked. I am so excited that I do intend to purchase one of these to add to my Atari Console collection. Plus, to see a Flashback 3 console, I am crossing fingers. If I can be one of many to make a wish...the next system has a built in cartridge slot, and is 7800/2600 compatible! Put in the games like they are now, but give us the "out of box" ability to play an exsisting library! Hell, this would give the new Atari a means to get into the hardware business without any really worry of dedicating millions and millions of dollars. They could reissue all of those great classics, and perhaps give a means to the homebrew guys a way to mass market their games to all of us.

For those worried about mass marketed versions of those collectable homebrew releases...Those will always be collectable and hard to come by simply due to how it was released and such.

• Like 2

Well, you technically added another hidden paddle game, making it 43, so why not, was this also a time issue or would that have cost more, what?

:)

Well now, it's not stated outright that it's a paddle game, just that it uses a non-joystick non-keypad controller. It could very well be Indy 500!

Nope. Atari doesn't own the rights to the name.

Change the name to something like 500 or or use the Sears name for the game which was Race. There's no IP from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway being used in the game beyond the title "Indy 500".

• Like 2

Twinchargers -- read the fine print on the site that says the wheel doesn't represent the actual odds.

I'm confused, did I say anywhere that it did? If one was to play the wheel 300 times until the contest is over, I'd say there odds are better than one not spinning it once at all.

According to the rules on the site, you only get one play per day. If you happen to sign in and "spin the wheel" at the right time, you'll win, but it's not like you can increase your (slim) odds by "spinning the wheel" more than once per day.

Personally, I'm ok with just paying my $45 to get one for sure.

See

" There will be three hundred (300) random, computer-generated winning times during the Promotion Period. If you are the first player to play the Instant Win Game at or after one of the randomly-generated times, you will be an instant winner of the prize indicated."

I'd just like to re-ask the questions I posed in an earlier post in this thread (Post #131), to which I'm still hoping for answers:

1. When was the FB2+ announced (or at least put up on Atari.com)?

2. Is there any further background info available on why General Mills chose to approach Atari to do this promotion (to Curt/Marty)? If so, what can you tell us? Honestly, this seems like an awfully strange thing for a cereal company to do.

3. Who are "the Chinese guys," and how did they get involved with the Flashback 2 project?

I just sent an angry email, we'll see what happens. My luck I'll get a $0.50 off coupon to their most expensive thing. Sheesh.

nathanallan, I think you may have missed what I wrote earlier about the General Mills web game. Here is an excerpt from that post:

I don't think that's entirely accurate. If I interpreted the description right, what is predetermined are the 300 periods of time within which the first person to play the game will be a winner. Presumably, these 300 periods of time are spread out across the full contest's duration of eligibility. Note that the contest ends at the beginning of next year, meaning that the winning periods (of unknown length) are roughly 28 hours apart on average, assuming the contest started around the 20th. My point is that this is quite a long-duration setup, and I for one don't think the rewards are worth trying my luck until 2011. Unless your budget is unbelievably tight, it would be a better use of time just to buy a Flashback 2+ or track down the other prizes independently. Considering the prizes' monetary values, I don't think they were custom-made for this contest.

Speaking of the prize values, I find it ironic that the grand prize is not only twice as numerous but also valued less than the first prize. Weird.

The "game" itself has 0 probability for determining whether you win or lose the contest. The win/loss chances are purely determined by when you play the game and whether you're the first person to do so within a predetermined period of time.

And yes, I corrected my misspelling of "down" in that excerpt.

onmode-ky

• Like 1

Nope. Atari doesn't own the rights to the name.

Change the name to something like 500 or or use the Sears name for the game which was Race. There's no IP from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway being used in the game beyond the title "Indy 500".

I already asked this question back on page 6 in our thread here look @ Post #145...

Well, you technically added another hidden paddle game, making it 43, so why not, was this also a time issue or would that have cost more, what?

:)

Well now, it's not stated outright that it's a paddle game, just that it uses a non-joystick non-keypad controller. It could very well be Indy 500!

That was my hope as well, but the name Indy 500 is licensed, maybe Curt went with its Race title by Sears or could that also have licensing issues?

Rick Vendl II

Edited by TrekkiELO