IGNORED

If the Powerpak will work on an NES emulator, it will work on an NOAC clone

Joe_Cracker

35 members have voted

1. 1. If the PowerPak could work on a PC NES emulator, will it also work on a compatable NES NOAC clone?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

The development of NES Rom Maker will be put into the hands of someone who has contact with members of this community, he or she will go them they will tell them what is needed to "speed up the process" which is what NES Rom Maker will is designed to do. I already know about these NES homebrew communities, who else is making these new games that are being sold on RetroZone right now anyway? Brian Parker shared a few stories with me, saying that it took about 1 and a half to two years for a small group of friends to make one of the games that's being sold on RetroZone already, that's about just as long as it takes for a large team of Pros to make a game for the Wii, Xbox 360, or the Playstation 3. That is why NES Rom Maker would be such a big help to the homebrew community.

Plus, NES Rom Maker could also allow someone who has never made a single peace of homebrew in their lives to bring out something great in just only 2 months or more.

Edited by Joe_Cracker

I guess I need an example, movie scripts. Anyone can go into MSword and write a novel but they can't just screenplay(movie script) so someone at C&M software LLC. got the idea for a word processor that is especially designed for writing screenplays, the proper way to format it from the action, transisions, dialog, charaters, action, scene headings, exe. and now it's a top seller, it's award winning software, and it's recommended by industry pro's. I'm also using Final Draft to write the script for one of the first big games that will be made using NES Rom Maker.

So as you can see, when you make a peace of software that gives someone all the tools for a particular purpose that not usually thought of by others, those who need it will go after it. sourceforge gives you a monthly report on how many people are downloading your software, it's not rocket science for them. They know. I'll even tell you guys how many people have downloaded the software after the first month is been available to the public.

Edited by Joe_Cracker

I think this will be my last response to this thread, as it's going downhill fast.

Writing code and creating screenplays are two completely different beasts. There isn't just one way to write code. Sure, you can have a standard format to write your code, but that can greatly differ from one developer to another. Your previous examples of your program understanding code for things like 'falls rocks' is laughable. Do you honestly think ever program with falling rocks is using the same code?

At a high level you're describing creating a development suite, like Virtual Studio, but for creating NES applications. You further complicate things by tying it all in to some type of custom hardware and other unnecessary components. Regardless, I've seen little proof from yourself or from being part of the development community that shows this is something developers are asking for.

Sure, it can take a good deal of time to create a new games. First off, most people don't do it as their full time job, so are left to develop during their free time. Second, it's just a small team (usually one or two people) who create homebrew, compared with large teams of people at a regular publisher house.

No one cares about the number of downloads an application has. It's all about the number of people who actively use it. Those are two VERY different numbers. From the way you're describing the solution you're trying to create, I'd be shocked if many people find a use for it. I'll even be more shocked if you even manage to get anything remotely usable released, given your proven limited knowledge of the subject.

All the power to you though. Go prove us all wrong.

• Like 3

I think this will be my last response to this thread, as it's going downhill fast.

Writing code and creating screenplays are two completely different beasts. There isn't just one way to write code. Sure, you can have a standard format to write your code, but that can greatly differ from one developer to another. Your previous examples of your program understanding code for things like 'falls rocks' is laughable. Do you honestly think ever program with falling rocks is using the same code?

At a high level you're describing creating a development suite, like Virtual Studio, but for creating NES applications. You further complicate things by tying it all in to some type of custom hardware and other unnecessary components. Regardless, I've seen little proof from yourself or from being part of the development community that shows this is something developers are asking for.

Sure, it can take a good deal of time to create a new games. First off, most people don't do it as their full time job, so are left to develop during their free time. Second, it's just a small team (usually one or two people) who create homebrew, compared with large teams of people at a regular publisher house.

No one cares about the number of downloads an application has. It's all about the number of people who actively use it. Those are two VERY different numbers. From the way you're describing the solution you're trying to create, I'd be shocked if many people find a use for it. I'll even be more shocked if you even manage to get anything remotely usable released, given your proven limited knowledge of the subject.

All the power to you though. Go prove us all wrong.

I WILL prove you wrong, and that ain't no empty promise. Just to make sure that this thing gets off the ground when we do have the 0.1 beta, it will be recommended that if any testing is to be done on hardware, that original hardware is to be used along with RetroZone's powerpak. Sales of any new hardware before we have any software will just be capital for paying the software engineer.

I think that since this is forum is more about the Atari age, it's my feeling that I've been approaching this all wrong. Indeed all the above is still important but I would like to call something out, which involves the console game builder project as a hole. I want everyone to look here again: http://nesrommaker.wikispaces.com/beyondthenes now look at future projects and look at project number 5, it is called V26-78 Rom Maker, it's suppose to be like NES Rom Maker but it's designed to make games for the Atari 2600, 5200, and 7800. I've been looking at the store here: http://www.atariage.com/store/ and seeing that there is a shortage of new software, I think the time is right but I'm still working on NES Rom Maker. I need someone to step up and take charge of V26-78 Rom Maker. If you can do that, just PM me and we can swap ideas around. If you wish to continue to talk about NES Rom Maker then just post a reply.

Edited by Joe_Cracker

Could you make this work on the Jaguar as well? After all it's only 1's and 0's - Maybe it could accept 68000, RISC, C, C++, JAVA, FORTRAN, COBOL, LISP and LOGO as well, just to make it easier for us developers and give us a bit of variety. How about a module to create music for us, and also another one for the graphics - then we won't need those pesky "artist" people either :)

Also, please make it use new hardware, after all we wouldn't want to be using the old buggy stuff Atari released, would we?

:D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Well we are overdue for some Atari clones that take game carts, but we'll need a duel cart. Since the 5200 isn't really designed to fit in the same slot as the 2600 and the 7800, we'll have to have a duel console model. I am already aware that the 7800 is backwards compatible with 2800 software titles so that is not a not a problem.

The only real problem is the Jaguar, common. That thing uses both game carts and CD-ROM media, but for future project there is project number 7 and that is playground gamemaker, it will make games for the Sony Playstation, Nintendo 64 and the Atari Jaguar. You might not need artists for the 2600 but you will for the Jaguar, Roar! I would have to wait until someone comes up with a way to make like a flash cart for the Jaguar. I hear there is one for the 2600, plus there is always the emulator route. Do you playas know the best thing about 2600 title? I'll tell ya, their easily ported to the Game Boy.

Was just reading the website you put up about it! Awsome project:

As for sound, it will take .wav; mp3; midi; wma; mp4; and convert it to nsf format when saving your progress as a rom.

Thats just amazing! Could you please give us some more details, like how you plan on supporting MP3 on the NES?

• Like 2

Well for starters, live recordings have been used on NES titles before. If you where to incorporate an MP3 audio file on your project, when you play it back via the source file, it will be at full quality, but if you save it as a rom, sound quality will degrade and it will also downscale it from stereo to mono. If you've heard live sound recording, the actually used sounds of plane engines for like jets and rockets tacking off. As I just stated, this would be the same for any supported audio format, but midi would sound closet to the original. It would become an .nsf file, it would just become apart of your games soundtrack.

I don't think that's what he means Cyrano, Williams is just reminding me of something I said before and that is I always look at the downside of the original hardware. Now with you talking about the old Ataris for a sec, that picture really suits the conversation because lets face it, how many of them still work?

Cyrano, if you can get me a graphic that could have been say like a character or an object from say on old Atari or NES game that's suitable for the cafepress mugs, just email it to me, you get a $0.25 royalty for every peace that is sold after all.

I don't think that's what he means Cyrano, Williams is just reminding me of something I said before and that is I always look at the downside of the original hardware.

:lol:

Yup, that's exactly what he meant. Just like how all my posts have been about how solid your idea is.

• Like 3

it is called V26-78 Rom Maker, it's suppose to be like NES Rom Maker but it's designed to make games for the Atari 2600, 5200, and 7800.

I'm not the least bit interested in that project and I'm an active 7800 developer. Good luck trying to get a script parser to make kernels that work on the 2600 in 76 CPU clock cycles per video scan line e.g. "falling rocks". LMFAO!

I've been looking at the store here: http://www.atariage.com/store/ and seeing that there is a shortage of new software,

There are at least 7 new games being worked on for the 7800 at the moment. How many are being worked on for the NES?

I think the time is right but I'm still working on NES Rom Maker. I need someone to step up and take charge of V26-78 Rom Maker.

No! You aren't working on NES ROM maker because you aren't a programmer. The real reason you want this software to exist is so that you can write your games for the NES because you can't program and no other reason.

• Like 2

No! You aren't working on NES ROM maker because you aren't a programmer. The real reason you want this software to exist is so that you can write your games for the NES because you can't program and no other reason.

Your already missing the point and you have been since day one, it's for anyone who downloads it of the sourceforge website. Who's the clueless one, I guess I'm looking right at him.

Also I think you missed it, from what I got V26-78 Rom Maker would be a powerful tool for those who are just members and not homebrew makers. I would post it on sourceforge and download links would be posted on this sites homepage and the store. Plus, we would also have exclusive in house programs that would allow us to publish these current new games that AtariAge has set up on there store to where they would be ported back to source files and then ported to the NES.

The real question is, which program can get done faster V26-78 Rom Maker or NES Rom Maker?

Your already missing the point and you have been since day one, it's for anyone who downloads it of the sourceforge website. Who's the clueless one, I guess I'm looking right at him.

No, it's you who are missing the point. It's NOT available for anyone, since it doesn't exist. In order for it to exist, someone has to create it. The someone is obviously not you, since you've proven to know absolutely nothing about development.

... from what I got V26-78 Rom Maker would be a powerful tool ...

From what you've got? :lol: You have nothing. No tool != powerful tool

... have exclusive in house programs that would allow us to publish these current new games that AtariAge has set up on there store to where they would be ported back to source files and then ported to the NES.

If you truly believe a one-click solution is going to exist to automatically port 2600/7800/whatever games to NES ... well .... just go back and look at the pic CyranoJ posted. It says it all!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

The real question is, which program can get done faster V26-78 Rom Maker or NES Rom Maker?

Neither! You have absolutely no idea about the architectural differences amongst the systems you want to target.

I'll put it in simple terms. If there was actually any interest in your project other than from yourself you wouldn't need to pay a programmer to work on it. They would do it for nothing or a cut of the game royalties. That tells me an enormous amount about the project. LMFAO!

• Like 1

After all it's only 1's and 0's - Maybe it could accept 68000, RISC, C, C++, JAVA, FORTRAN, COBOL, LISP and LOGO as well, just to make it easier for us developers and give us a bit of variety. How about a module to create music for us, and also another one for the graphics - then we won't need those pesky "artist" people either :)

Also, please make it use new hardware, after all we wouldn't want to be using the old buggy stuff Atari released, would we?

Didn't the same guy who said I was clueless say this?

I am not clueless as long as I surround myself with people who know what there talking about. Something to create music and something to work on graphics, that's a start for the 0.1 beta. I didn't have the right idea until yesterday. What I would add too it would be a taste of what you would get from NES Rom Maker, because just as hard as it is to make homebrew for the NES the same thing can be said for the 2600. The next step is to bring in a software engineer to make this peace a reality, or am I still clueless, would some of you like to have your own titles listed on that store? You could if this tool was out there.

After all it's only 1's and 0's - Maybe it could accept 68000, RISC, C, C++, JAVA, FORTRAN, COBOL, LISP and LOGO as well, just to make it easier for us developers and give us a bit of variety. How about a module to create music for us, and also another one for the graphics - then we won't need those pesky "artist" people either :)

Didn't the same guy who said I was clueless say this?

I am not clueless as long as I surround myself with people who know what there talking about. Something to create music and something to work on graphics, that's a start for the 0.1 beta. I didn't have the right idea until yesterday. What I would add too it would be a taste of what you would get from NES Rom Maker, because just as hard as it is to make homebrew for the NES the same thing can be said for the 2600. The next step is to bring in a software engineer to make this peace a reality, or am I still clueless, would some of you like to have your own titles listed on that store? You could if this tool was out there.

I'd say, to the guys in charge of marketing. Get out a DV cam and start making commercials for these new games and post them on youtube.