IGNORED

Kinect Launch Day. Disturbingly slow?

Paul Humbug

Nah, don't wanna say it's too late in the console cycle. It's pretty much system independent. I assume you will be able to use it with a successor. It just opens more possibilities for the system, not replacing anything.

It works very well for what it is. Now we have o wait and see what games will emerge that stand out. Not wishing MS an epic failure (why should I wish for innovation to fail?) but it would be interesting to know how many systems they have sold by the end of the month.

The harsh truth is that MS is trying to tap in the casual Wii game market and released an overpriced add-on with so so release games. They also did this in one of the worst recessions. I dont care about gimmicks, I just care about good games. I dont want to look like an idiot when I play games. Give me a standard controller please. I will not be getting this thing until it goes on clearance...which will be within two years. It will be supported, but it will not be supported by the totally different fanbase that MS has catered to in the last 10 years.

+1 How perfectly stated! HA HA HA! I couldn't agree more. Just as demand for the Wii seems to be waning, they release an add-on that cost almost as much as an entire Wii. Perhaps they should have waited until the next console (with all-new public perception) or just waited to see if the "flail your arms around as game control" trend passes, entirely; it's certainly nothing new anymore.

I hate to bring up Sega CD and 32x again - because we've all heard it too many times already. Can Microsoft have possibly forgotten the lessons of those devices? The only thing that sells worse than a video game add-on, is a high-priced video game add-on.

I have the feeling that you boys expecting to find yours in a future bargain bin may be onto something.

• Like 2

http://www.examiner.com/xbox-360-in-national/will-kinect-be-a-flop

Well, I guess, this article confirms our observations of Kinect not selling out.

all of my local game stores (we have 3 gamestops) both my local super wall marts was sold out of both the bundle and the Kinect. didn't bother going to my local best buy or Meijer or target to see if they was sold out or not.

but its not going to be the same everywhere. everyone that i know that bought one cant get enough of it and enjoy it more then their Wii.

The Kinect is amazing, its just that allot of the games are lacking. give it time and it will get better.

Edited by madmax2069

Well, I guess, this article confirms our observations of Kinect not selling out.

all of my local game stores (we have 3 gamestops) both my local super wall marts was sold out of both the bundle and the Kinect. didn't bother going to my local best buy or Meijer or target to see if they was sold out or not.

but its not going to be the same everywhere. everyone that i know that bought one cant get enough of it and enjoy it more then their Wii.

The Kinect is amazing, its just that allot of the games are lacking. give it time and it will get better.

Well, I certainly hope for it to be a success. And on another note, I really wanted a Wii badly but there was no chance of getting one for months. I'm glad, I could pick up the Kinect, pay, and play.

I do like it enough for now. Kinect Sports, although a Wii rip-off, is exactly what I hoped it would be. Could do with more depth but then, have I ever really completed a game yet?

I'm going to see if I should get Dance Central which scored pretty well in metacritics.

This reminds me of the scene in Back to the Future II in the 80's Cafe when the two kids plug in

the arcade machine. Marty goes over to show them how to play it and they say "You use your hands? That's like

a baby's toy."

Hehe, yep, I love the BTTF trilogy and I remember that scene. There's something about the Kinect that is so typically Sci-Fi (reminds me on Wally actually). Just don't think that it is watching you. And fortunately it doesn't talk (yet).

Was at a local Best Buy and Target yesterday and both had ample supplies of Kinect, games, and bundles on display.

Mendon

Same here today. many customers commented on it being a "Wii-too" device, lots of laughs. One guy there while they were demoing it pointed out you could get the entire Wii for almost the same money. Still not selling well according to the sales person. Odd since this Best buy is more 360 based the most Best buys. Reminds me of eye toy. nothing wrong with that just it should be $50 not $150. for that money just buy a Wii. That seemed to be the consensus of people shopping there today and a very busy day.people were trying it out. they had problems with people in dark clothing for some reason..

I have two friends so far that owns the Kinect one says it craps all over anything the Wii has or can do, and my other friend says basically the same thing (both also own a Wii).

one of my other friends calls it a Wii60 (in a joking manner), but he hasn't used it yet. but he does want to buy it (just no funds to go out and buy it).

I have played it and i agree with my two friends in that it craps all over the Wii. Its only going to get better with time. Joy ride is actually quite fun, i had a blast playing it.

so far i have been impressed on how well the Kinect works.

looking like a idiot is all apart of the fun when playing, if you are too scared to look like a idiot then that's your loss, Some people are acting like everyone in the world is going to see you play.

its also picky about lighting,space,movement and other objects in it's view. far too picky. not really up to Wii from what I have seen.

The general theme of these reviews is that many Kinect games are gimmicky and unoriginal.

Uh oh! He used the bad word! There are people around here who think if you use the bad word you are a stick in the mud and only want to play games with 1 button and mono sound. How dare anyone have an opinion and consider the games to be gimm... oops... I almost used it too!

I hate to bring up Sega CD and 32x again - because we've all heard it too many times already. Can Microsoft have possibly forgotten the lessons of those devices? The only thing that sells worse than a video game add-on, is a high-priced video game add-on.

I have the feeling that you boys expecting to find yours in a future bargain bin may be onto something.

Yep, I'm predicting that this (as well as the PS Move) will be tremendous flops. Now, if they had STARTED with this instead of making it an add-on (like the Wii did) then who knows?

It's a shame really. The failure of Kinect will scare off Microsoft from making it a standard pack-in for the next Xbox. :|

Who will they cater to? Where will they put their software development money? Cater to the casual gamers, and the hardcore gamers will feel betrayed and cry foul. Cater more to the hardcore with more involved gaming, and the casuals may feel intimidated by the added gaming complexities and subtleties that the hardcore are accustomed to.

Not an easy situation... icon_ponder.gif

According to what I know, it looks like Sony is catering to hardcore and microsoft to casual. sony has killzone 3, etc. and xbox has jump around like madmen games.

Who will they cater to? Where will they put their software development money? Cater to the casual gamers, and the hardcore gamers will feel betrayed and cry foul. Cater more to the hardcore with more involved gaming, and the casuals may feel intimidated by the added gaming complexities and subtleties that the hardcore are accustomed to.

Not an easy situation... icon_ponder.gif

According to what I know, it looks like Sony is catering to hardcore and microsoft to casual. sony has killzone 3, etc. and xbox has jump around like madmen games.

neither launch line-up is what i'd consider "hardcore". i'm still waiting to see a good move-only game, in kz3 and whatnot it's merely a control option.

as for kinect: project draco

steel battalion-

steel battalion is from FROM software, i don't think they know how to make a non-uber hardcore game.

Newegg and Amazon have been sold out of Kinect since launch day, for whatever that is worth.

My kids have asked for Kinect for Christmas. I asked if they wanted Move, and my youngest daughter said it looked the same as Wii. Move is more expensive than Kinect anyway, at least if you want to be able to play a two player game. The Move starter pack was $100, 2nd wand was $50, and the nunchucks were $30 each. $200+ dollars for a 2 player Move setup seemes pricey. From what I have read, Kinect games that use a controller will just use regular 360 controllers. For driving or flying games I could see where it would be better to hold something to simulate a steering wheel or flight stick rather than holding nothing.

I am hesitant to buy another motion control device as the Wii sits idle for months at a time. If the Wii was used even a few times a month I would probably jump right into Kinect.

I think for now I will hold off, but I will not rule out buying a Kinect at some point.

The general theme of these reviews is that many Kinect games are gimmicky and unoriginal.

Uh oh! He used the bad word! There are people around here who think if you use the bad word you are a stick in the mud and only want to play games with 1 button and mono sound. How dare anyone have an opinion and consider the games to be gimm... oops... I almost used it too!

Oh, calm down, Hyper_Eye. My biggest beef was that you said you hoped it failed in one of your posts, which I just thought was a little over the top - I'm not looking to start some everlasting feud with you over something as dumb as the Kinect. :)

Oh, calm down, Hyper_Eye. My biggest beef was that you said you hoped it failed in one of your posts, which I just thought was a little over the top - I'm not looking to start some everlasting feud with you over something as dumb as the Kinect. :)

It was just a joke because the article described the sentiment expressed by the game reviews with the same word that I got nailed on. It is nothing personal. I don't take anything here personally or give it a seconds thought when I am away from the computer. There is no "beef" here. As matter of fact... we don't use beef around my house anymore. Ground turkey, turkey sausage... all chicken and turkey for me.

according to figures i've seen it sold 475k in 2 days, not too shabby.

I have read they are starting to get returns already at best buy for most of the reasons already mentioned here. bad detection,lighting,darkclothing detection,space.. Betting this will be a high return rate item.

You have read that? Want to share a link?