IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

I fail to see the usefulness of using an emulator on PC to run BBS software while you can run PC BBS software without the need of an emulator. One likely chooses for a PC set-up for it's convenience, to not have the clutter around from old hardware with all those cables running thru every corner of the room, but at the same time they also choose to run limited (inconvenience for todays standard) software to accomplish what they want.

But don't hesitate to set up some things and feel free to do what you want in the way how you want it but it's just something I don't get.

--------------------

And now something completely different...

What's the current, official, status of Pro BBS 5.0? If I want an extra copy with an extra node#, is it still possible to obtain that? Is there someone out there who's got any support from Lance Ringquist (Video61) when asking him things about Pro 5.0? Is there someone who bought Pro 5.0 between the year 2000 and today? Does he have, and is maintaining, an official node list of all copies that have been sold in the past?

It's been 20 years ago my board went online with Pro 5.0 and all those years I didn't get any support. Not from K-Products, not from Video61. The only news about it were troubles about the copyright/ownership of some parts of the package (which were solved) and a message that a new version would be released on cartridge. Both items are not interesting for those who still run this unsupported BBS software. I keep getting questions over and over from people who want to have a copy and always denied those requests but am seriously considering to declare the software "abandonware" and start my own list of node#'s that can be used (keeping track of used nodes is important in case a BBS decides to start networking with other nodes. No duplicate nodes allowed!).

I have node# 471 and the highest node I'm aware of is node# 476. (Anyone aware of a higher node number?) I think it's safe to assume that node# 600 doesn't exist... yet...

Signed: Sysop Fox-1 (in the hope that the people who are/were involved with Pro BBS also take note of this)

• Like 3

I fail to see the usefulness of using an emulator on PC to run BBS software while you can run PC BBS software without the need of an emulator.

Using that viewpoint, one could also say why bother using an Atari at all (emulated or real) to do what a PC can, and do better? I'm guessing that there aren't any A8 users that don't also have at least one modern computer. For some, it is the nostalgia. Some can't get nostalgia out of an emulator while some can. Also, if one wants to visit an ATASCII BBS, then using a modern computer/software won't give the full experience.

• Like 1

Hmm...my setup here using an Atari Mega ST4 with external hard drive/CD-RW is pretty compact. Power

cords and CAT-5 cable running to the Lantronix is about it. One small desk...

As for emulation, I think I've stated my position on that often enough to not repeat it again. :)

Edited by DarkLord

Using that viewpoint, one could also say why bother using an Atari at all (emulated or real) to do what a PC can, and do better? I'm guessing that there aren't any A8 users that don't also have at least one modern computer. For some, it is the nostalgia. Some can't get nostalgia out of an emulator while some can. Also, if one wants to visit an ATASCII BBS, then using a modern computer/software won't give the full experience.

Why using an atari at all?

2. I can program it.

3. I already have tons of software laying around for the system....

4. ...and hardware.

5. For peace of mind (no worries about virus' and such).

6. Small user base, but yet big enough (I guess I know the names of half the Atari users, but <00000.1% of PC users).

7. Repairable hardware.

8. Doesn't depend on endless updates to keep it going.

9. Hardware is still being developed and mainly without commercial intentions.

1. It's fun.

These are just my "why's". Yours may be different. If you have fun in using an emulator, please do so, by all means. Same for people who'd go for an Apple ][ in stead of an Atari. Go for it. But that still doesn't mean I can understand it.

Ask Stephen J. Carden I want to get one set up myself, but don't have the space right now to get all my Atari stuff out. Hopefully soon.

As already being mentioned, he's not involved anymore with the BBS so no need to ask him these kind of questions, but he can always give his opinion about it if he wants to.

• Like 2

These are just my "why's". Yours may be different. If you have fun in using an emulator, please do so, by all means. Same for people who'd go for an Apple ][ in stead of an Atari. Go for it. But that still doesn't mean I can understand it.

Of course, and I said as much when I stated there are some for whom emulation doesn't scratch the nostalgic itch. Even though you don't apparently share the same appreciation for emulators, I'm not sure why you can't understand those who do. I mean, 99.9% of our interactions with computers is through the software. To a large degree, if we are able experience the same software, that happens to be provided via different hardware, then there is definitely value there for many.

Of course, and I said as much when I stated there are some for whom emulation doesn't scratch the nostalgic itch. Even though you don't apparently share the same appreciation for emulators, I'm not sure why you can't understand those who do. I mean, 99.9% of our interactions with computers is through the software. To a large degree, if we are able experience the same software, that happens to be provided via different hardware, then there is definitely value there for many.

Actually, a lot of interaction I do on the original hardware does not go through the software. I mainly use my systems with a Black Box and real (upgraded) disk drives so many actions are accomplished by flipping switches and pushing buttons. If I want to boot TurboDos, I flip a switch on my 1050 to load it from it's EPROM. Same with BiBoDos, which loads from another 1050 disk drive.

If I want slow down a running program I turn down the knob of my CPU "break". To do some editing in memory on the fly I push a button on the Black Box and choose "C" to jump to it's monitor for a peek or to change registers.

All of this is, of course, also possible (or should be) within an emulator, one way or another, but when you're used to all those buttons and switches to instantly activate the function you want, using an emulator introduces a lot of hassle. Lot's of tiny things are just a bit different then one is used to, like the keyboard layout. An A8 program asking to press "shift-2" won't do on an emulator with the standard settings because it's a different key code. Switching to another O.S. always was a flip of a switch but on an emulator one has to grab the mouse, navigate to the option, select the O.S, and exit the menu.

It's not that I hate emulators. I too use Altirra for some things, like peeking what's in an ATR or zipping up some things to email them, but using Atari 8-bit software that happens to be on PC system usually involves AspeQt, a SIO2PC interface and a 130XE.

As I write this, I realize it may just be that. Switching to an emulator, after having used the real thing for a million-and-a-half years, forces one to drastically change his habits and I'm definitely someone who doesn't want to change those.

edit: typo's

Edited by Fox-1 / mnx

Ask Stephen J. Carden I want to get one set up myself, but don't have the space right now to get all my Atari stuff out. Hopefully soon.

$40 6' folding table at target..... Trust me, you want to make the room. I used that excuse for years and even in this new place, I didn't have my desks here... so I went out and got two of those and I can tell you that I totally regret not doing that sooner.

Hmm...my setup here using an Atari Mega ST4 with external hard drive/CD-RW is pretty compact. Power

cords and CAT-5 cable running to the Lantronix is about it. One small desk...

As for emulation, I think I've stated my position on that often enough to not repeat it again. :)

Yeah, my SFHQ setup takes up about less than half of a 6' folding table right now. I think the A8 takes up even less (especially when I stack the HD's on each other).

Yeah, that was always my thought too... ;) The real question is, if he turned around and took a picture...........? Maybe it's photoshopped. ;)

You got me - that is in my Atari "man cave" and the rest of the room is...probably about what you would expect. :)

But honestly, that view is not photoshopped. :)

You got me - that is in my Atari "man cave" and the rest of the room is...probably about what you would expect. :)

But honestly, that view is not photoshopped. :)

Well, my BBS Desk/Table is pretty tidy too, but that's because I just set it up and because I do the rest of my stuff on the other end of the room. (I'm destined to die old and alone, but the up side to that is that my entire apartment is a man-cave since I don't have a woman living here to tell me that I can't). ;) I'm just looking forward to getting my own place someday and then I can have an entire Man-House!

Folks,

The Bates Motel is BACK OPEN for business!!! Woot! Yes!! OMG!! 20+ years later! {ahem}

It is *slightly* untidy. I thought I had a handle on all of the text files and such necessary to get it running and, well, I was wrong. Oh so very wrong. However, I want people to test it out. Tell me what is broken so I can go and fix it. I have a list of things I need to fix, but I might as well do a "soft open" for those hardy souls willing to take a shower . . . errr . . . test the water .... yeah, the time for Psycho puns is probably past . . .

But ANYWAY

telnet over to 76.14.174.25 Port 8888 The Bates Motel welcomes you.

BTW, we are running on real iron: Atari 800XL // VBXE in Rambo mode // Black Box w/Floppy board, 80G ATA via ACARD 7320UW // Lantronix UDS-1100 Even got a permanent address for the Motel, so you always know where you can rest your weary A8/TI 99/4a head.

I plan on posting/hosting discussions and files for A8, TI 99/4a, and Portfolio files. I will also post purchase details about the R-Time8 replacement cart that is nearing completion!

Thanks for beta testing (for now) the setup and I hope you enjoy your stay.

P.S. If you steal the towels, you willhave to speak with my mother . . . .

• Like 2

I just logged in to Bates Motel using ATASCII mode and the BBS is throwing junk at me. See example below when I type 'y' for yes I get some chars ahead of the 'y' like it is in ANSI mode or something.

post-8623-0-88598000-1454767156_thumb.jpg

Edited by bf2k+

This was what I got when I tried the main menu (in ANSI)

[upload Your Files Under █┬▌rowse!]
½------------------------------------½
ⁿ█┴▌┴╙├╔╔»┴╘┴╙├╔╔ ⁿ█┬▌┬≥ow≤e ╞ile≤ ⁿ
ⁿ█├▌├all ╞o≥ ╙∙≤o≡ⁿ█─▌─»╠ ╠oπa⌠o≥ ⁿ
ⁿ█╞▌╞eeΣbaπk ⁿ█╟▌╟ooΣ┬∙e(╠ogoff⌐ⁿ
ⁿ█╔▌╙∙≤⌠em ╔nfo ⁿ█╠▌╠ib≥a≥∙ ╞ile≤ ⁿ
ⁿ█╬▌╙∙≤⌠em ╬ew≤ ⁿ█╧▌╧⌠he≥ ┬┬╙'≤ ⁿ
ⁿ█╨▌╨a≥ame⌠e≥ ┼Σi⌠ⁿ█╥▌╥eaΣ ¬┼-═ail¬ ⁿ
ⁿ█╙▌╙enΣ ¬┼-═ail¬ ⁿ█╒▌╒≤e≥log ╙ea≥πh ⁿ
ⁿ█╫▌╠a≤⌠ ╡░ ├all≤ ⁿ█┘▌┘o⌡≥ ╙⌠a⌠i≤⌠iπ≤ⁿ
ⁿ█╜▌╟o╘o ┴n∙ ┬a≤e ⁿ█¬▌═≤g ┬a≤e ╠i≤⌠ ⁿ
ⁿ█╤▌╤⌡iπk╙πan! ⁿ█└▌┼Σi⌠ ╙πan ╠i≤⌠ ⁿ
ⁿ█#▌╧≥Σe≥ing ╔nfo ⁿ█┐▌╘hi≤ ═en⌡ ⁿ
ⁿ█╘▌╘i⌠le ╙π≥een ⁿ█»▌╙∙≤o≡»╙igo≡ ⁿ
ⁿ█╩▌═⌡l⌠i⌡≤e≥ πha⌠ⁿ█¬▌╞⌡⌠⌡≥e ┼°≡n≤n ⁿ

Kinda hard to figure out. ;)

This was what I got when I tried the main menu (in ANSI)

[upload Your Files Under █┬▌rowse!]

ⁿ█┴▌┴╙├╔╔»┴╘┴╙├╔╔ ⁿ█┬▌┬≥ow≤e ╞ile≤ ⁿ

ⁿ█├▌├all ╞o≥ ╙∙≤o≡ⁿ█─▌─»╠ ╠oπa⌠o≥ ⁿ

ⁿ█╞▌╞eeΣbaπk ⁿ█╟▌╟ooΣ┬∙e(╠ogoff⌐ⁿ

ⁿ█╔▌╙∙≤⌠em ╔nfo ⁿ█╠▌╠ib≥a≥∙ ╞ile≤ ⁿ

ⁿ█╬▌╙∙≤⌠em ╬ew≤ ⁿ█╧▌╧⌠he≥ ┬┬╙'≤ ⁿ

ⁿ█╨▌╨a≥ame⌠e≥ ┼Σi⌠ⁿ█╥▌╥eaΣ ¬┼-═ail¬ ⁿ

ⁿ█╙▌╙enΣ ¬┼-═ail¬ ⁿ█╒▌╒≤e≥log ╙ea≥πh ⁿ

ⁿ█╫▌╠a≤⌠ ╡░ ├all≤ ⁿ█┘▌┘o⌡≥ ╙⌠a⌠i≤⌠iπ≤ⁿ

ⁿ█╜▌╟o╘o ┴n∙ ┬a≤e ⁿ█¬▌═≤g ┬a≤e ╠i≤⌠ ⁿ

ⁿ█╤▌╤⌡iπk╙πan! ⁿ█└▌┼Σi⌠ ╙πan ╠i≤⌠ ⁿ

ⁿ█#▌╧≥Σe≥ing ╔nfo ⁿ█┐▌╘hi≤ ═en⌡ ⁿ

ⁿ█╘▌╘i⌠le ╙π≥een ⁿ█»▌╙∙≤o≡»╙igo≡ ⁿ

ⁿ█╩▌═⌡l⌠i⌡≤e≥ πha⌠ⁿ█¬▌╞⌡⌠⌡≥e ┼°≡n≤n ⁿ

Kinda hard to figure out. ;)

That is the new code mode. :-D I will have to re-do the menu. If you press "A", you can then switch to ASCII and the backup menu will work. I will fix that today. Thanks for trying it out. I had edited all the menus, but was not correct in all of the translation.

That is the new code mode. :-D I will have to re-do the menu. If you press "A", you can then switch to ASCII and the backup menu will work. I will fix that today. Thanks for trying it out. I had edited all the menus, but was not correct in all of the translation.

Well, I called back in ATASCII so that's all good. I just thought you might want to know about that one since it's a biggie. ;) Also, are the message bases implemented yet? When I tried to get a list of message areas I got a 170 error.