Chear or Pro?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Should the PCB be PRO?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

there is preliminary version of ROM generator for Ultimate1MB boards

its quite primitive, though it works

any feedback is welcome

Ultimate1MB ROM Generator

tomorrow i'll add some code for generating ready ATR files with flasher that would allow upgrades on real equipment

now i need to write some stub for bios and test everything up

basic idea behind bios is to read configuration from NVRAM inside RTC and configure the extension accordlingly

if NVRAM CRC is bad, or key combination was pressed then interactive configuration panel will show up

if configuration is valid, then machine will boot up seemlessly as expected

i haven't decided where to leave mechanical switches inputs, or turn them into outputs to extend config for controling - say stereo enable or other yet undefined extensions

frankly, i could use some advice here

i haven't decided where to leave mechanical switches inputs, or turn them into outputs to extend config for controling - say stereo enable or other yet undefined extensions

Normally I prefer switches to set the extended memory mode and OS or enable/disable SDX. But if I can get to a configuration menu by just holding a key while turning on the Atari, I don't need switches anymore and then you can use the inputs as outputs to enable/disable stereo/covox or other things. (But then you must make a new batch of the simple stereo board (or soundboard) and IO board :P )

Robert

Some of these would require input/s too, and some logic to work. How about:

- Write disable for certain RAM areas, e.g. $8000-$BFFF or $C000-$FFFF which could allow cart or OS ROM testing.

- Select VBXE location page D6 or D7.

- Stereo Pokey enable/disable.

it is, standard windows 32 executable

we have only 5 GPIO pins available, so we need to choose wisely

stereo enable/disable is possible

selectable vbxe base address is also possible

blocking ram of being written to - possible, but then how would you write something there after leaving bios? I'm not very convinced its nessesary - Phaeron did a great job making Altirra, so why not using it?

configuration register is only accesible after RESET was pressed, and dissapears when 0x8X value is written to it

soundboard is in production, but just for prototypes - 4 boards being made

It'd be cool to have a multitasking mode, where the whole base 64K + 64K or more of Extended could be changed on the fly.

Is disabling the internal base 64KB possible with the current hardware. As far as I understand, the base memory is still always the internal 64KB and not in the boards SRAM.

What will happen with the 64KB extended memory of an 130XE? Must this be disabled on the motherboard or is this disabled automatically by the board?

Robert

Any part of internal RAM can be disabled. VBXE does it, so does RAM 320XL.

Not sure about Ultimate 1 Meg, but with the above two, PORTB shadowing is done, ie - the device keeps track of what writes go to the data register so they know what banking is required at any point in time. The shadowing method has the advantage that you don't need the actual phyiscal connection to the PIA, you just monitor any writes to $D3xx and mirror the function.

base 64k can be disabled, but as in ram320xl it will also disable access to vbxe memory (cas inhibit signal being constantly asserted)

there is no need of removing any standard memory upgrade one may have installed already

i can't say anything about windows 7, because i don't have one

all i got on my disposal is xp 32bit box and vista 64bit, and i haven't checked it on vista

it does almost nothing though, so i don't see anything that could go wrong

perhaps some misterious security settings on programs downloaded from internet?

here is a picture showing ultimate setup inside xegs - as you can see no pia connections whatsoever

DSC01883.JPG

DSC01884.JPG

Edited by candle

it is, standard windows 32 executable

Well I can't get it to work under Windows 7 32-bit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

EDIT: It's OK. Call off the dogs. It works on the PC, but not on the Laptop for some odd reason.

It works on my Vista32. Unfortunately no W7 box to test.

I was counting the rom slots in the application:

SDX: max 320 K

BIOS: max 64 K

Basic: 8 K

Game: 8 K

Total: 464K

Thus the question is, where is the remaining 48 K?

Robert

@Candle regarding Ultimate1MB ROM Generator

I just tried this on my XP and Win95 PC's and seems that the GUI has a Hard Coded "Start-up Window Position" that is set for too far off the right edge of the screen. On XP, I only see it in the task bar, but on Win95 I can see it Grow/Shrink to the far right of the screen, but since that display is only 1024 x 768, I don't see any visible part of the GUI :(

Can you change the startup position to "Center Screen" instead?

Jay

Edited by AtariGeezer

I just tried this on my XP and Win95 PC's and seems that the GUI has a Hard Coded "Start-up Window Position" that is set for too far off the right edge of the screen. On XP, I only see it in the task bar, but on Win95 I can see it Grow/Shrink to the far right of the screen, but since that display is only 1024 x 768, I don't see any visible part of the GUI :(

I can confirm the problem. I didn't noticed it at first because I run 1680*1050. But even here a small bit of the right is off the screen. This explains the problems FJC had on his laptop (screen resolution too small).

Robert

sorry guys, fix is ready since 3pm, but not properly named, thus unavalable through that link

use this instead and just browse for the proper one

it was hard coded as x=1289, so it was invisible on some configurations

i'm running 1920x1200, so i haven't noticed ;]

here is little something i've been working on past few days

bios ultimate:

Ultimate-BIOS.png

BIOS starts up every time RESET key is pressed, if NVRAM checksum is good, then it sets read configuration, locks hardware and starts selected OS, if not, or user pressed INVERSE VIDEO key, then interactive menu pops up.

Changing OS or EXT RAM size forces cold boot, remaining options can be changed on-demand (though warm-boot will follow)

You can download bios in Altirra runable format here

later, i'll make some video presentation...

ps. Ultimate1MB can also work as FREEZER - including reading write-only hardware registers, unfortunatly someone has to write some dissasembler and monitor code for it

ps2. logo is not very pretty, but hey - i'm no graphican, so - feel free if you can do any better