Ultimate1MB preorder starts

candle

Chear or Pro?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Should the PCB be PRO?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, i belive i've finnished with debug, and everything is running smoothly

xegs mode and one particular xegs gave me headache - fortunatly, it came down to flaky 74ahct08 chip on motherboard

had some problems with enabling missle command too - it came down this time to XE/XL rom that was not handling it at all

here is how it looks right now:

ultimate-setup.jpg

and here are specs - maybe someone will find that usefull

Ultimate1MB manual

there is plenty of space inside CPLD chip, so i could add some features, but right now, i wish nothing more than put that all behind me - i do realise how long does it take, and some of you are certainly anxious and a bit worried about where you put your money

unfortunatly, real life as we call it happends to all of us, and we have various obligations that often have higher priorities than this little hobby

Sebastian

ok, i belive i've finnished with debug, and everything is running smoothly

xegs mode and one particular xegs gave me headache - fortunatly, it came down to flaky 74ahct08 chip on motherboard

had some problems with enabling missle command too - it came down this time to XE/XL rom that was not handling it at all

here is how it looks right now:

ultimate-setup.jpg

and here are specs - maybe someone will find that usefull

Ultimate1MB manual

there is plenty of space inside CPLD chip, so i could add some features, but right now, i wish nothing more than put that all behind me - i do realise how long does it take, and some of you are certainly anxious and a bit worried about where you put your money

unfortunatly, real life as we call it happends to all of us, and we have various obligations that often have higher priorities than this little hobby

Sebastian

Glad to see it moving along. Personally I'd rather these things took their time and came out right. I know exactly what you mean about real life squeezing time for hobbies and given your recent arrival I'm surprised you have time at all ;-) To be honest the way my time is at the moment, if my expansions turned up tomorrow they would probably sit on my desk for a couple of weeks anyway.

Oh, and I certainly wasn't worried you were going to run off with the cash ;-)

It's just an old scener style "T". A lot of that crap wasn't real well-designed, they were mostly coders, not designers. I think it's fine as it is, but maybe squaring off the upper left of the "T" would help, as a reasonably quick fix.

its not the looks i'm worying about, but usability...

Indeed: surely the most important things are clarity and functionality. I happen to be well aware that the intended meaning is "Ultimate Setup" (after all, the previous incarnation was perfectly legible), but style has compromised legibility in this instance. ;)

author of this logo is Dely^blwjb from AtariArea forum, so yes, its scenic as it can be - he just said here you are one day, and i've spend a hour or so fighting with raw material and g2f so it would a bit better than original (colors were off - at least to my standard, and it also was right justified)

anyone can draw another logo, and if i like it i can use it

but i'm no graphician, and even if i were, then taking yet another task on my head wouldn't be so cleaver thing to do

i'm pretty busy without me drawing logos

like the SIC! cart, the idea here isnt to look pretty, and just like on the SIC! cart, i aint 'feelin the love' for the graphics... but like the SIC! cart, i am diggin the hardware ;')

as long as the part i use works, i am good... and as long as it works well, i am good with the wait :')

sloopy.

Hi Marius

I am delaying it almost deliberatly, as I wanted some feedback from betatesters - since now I haven't received almost any feedback, but things that were reported, were taken care of

I think I can ship out some boards in Thuesday (Monday is out, since i'm gone to Warsaw)

also I was hoping to add linear ram support for those few people that have 65c816 cpu in theirs Ataris, but its not going to happend, since I have no machine with this cpu inside

Sebastian

• Like 2

Hi Marius

I am delaying it almost deliberatly, as I wanted some feedback from betatesters - since now I haven't received almost any feedback, but things that were reported, were taken care of

I think I can ship out some boards in Thuesday (Monday is out, since i'm gone to Warsaw)

also I was hoping to add linear ram support for those few people that have 65c816 cpu in theirs Ataris, but its not going to happend, since I have no machine with this cpu inside

Sebastian

Sebastian,

Thanks for the hard work that you have put into this upgrade. I do appreciate the patience you have had to assure that the final product has minimal issues as possible.

Mike

Just another voice to say: Please be sure and take all the time you need for you to do whatever is necessary to this, and don't worry about ship date. I would MUCH MUCH MUCH rather wait, and have it all setup how you would like it to be, rather than a rush, and something that wasn't "perfect." Also, the likelihood that it will be perfect is much increased if you know you have the time to work on this at your convenience, rather than some pressure. So, I say "take all the time you need!" As I've said before, been waiting 30 years for something like this, so a little longer is no problem. :)

• Like 1

i do apreciate your attitude towards my endless delays, but i really really want to finnish with this, and focus on other things

right now i'm testing ultimate in best way i can - doing first run of soundboard on dedicated hardware

no problems with utimate whatsoever - i'm pretty sure about it

next step will be doing installs in 1200xl and 800xl, as these two i'm missing currently

my setup is stock 65xe (with eci port and 4bit dram) + ultimate + vbxe + sb

@candle

Did I somewhere read that HELP+RESET is a key combination in this upgrade? Did you know that HELP+RESET = COLD BOOT on Atari's with a BlackBox Connected. Is there any chance that I can not use this HELP+RESET feature as soon as my BlackBox is connected?

@wood_jl

I agree 100% with you. As you can read in my posts I'm not in a hurry, and I give candle all the time he needs. My only point on this is, that he could be a bit more clear about the expected delivery time. When he would write: guys shipping will be around february 2012 or perhaps even summer 2012 I would be 100% fine with that. When I ask about an expected shipping date, I'm just showing my interest and excitement about this subject; and it is not meant as any pressure at all. I like to be updated about this, subject and that is why I asked.