IGNORED

IDE Plus 2.0 - preorder starts today

drac030

3) I set the clock but TD ON still reports the wrong date time. I am guessing I need to load the clock driver in config.sys? What's it called?

Sorry, I overlooked that question at first. The clock driver is called IDEPTIME.SYS.

I may have missed the obvious but can you tell me where to find the driver?

BTW - got it set up here with a CF card and partitioned a drive under Sparta. Seems to be working nicely on the XE. Need to try an XL next.

It wont plug into any of my modified XEs because the ECI tongues are so short that the drive ends up physically touching the back of the case.. My 1200XL cased 130XEs don't have problems with any other product, but this one won't plug in.. My other XE has stereo RCA jacks on it directly above the ECI port, so it wont plug into that machine either. This is also going to pose MAJOR issues for anyone who plans to try to come up with a case for this thing, because as I said, the drive literally TOUCHES the back of the XE case.

Thanks for comments.

Maybe you check it with a thick, older style disk. Mine does not touch and above the ECI port is enough place for RCA connectors:

dscf1158j.jpg

The premise of the XL connector under the board serving as a supporting "foot" is not 100% true. On my XE, I needed an additional 3mm (approx.) of "spacer" under it to support the interface, otherwise the entire weight of the drive and board were "hanging" from the ECI connector. If appropriate provisions are not made by the user, THIS WILL CAUSE PROBLEMS OVER TIME.. NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER.. Possibly, removing the rubber feet from the bottom of the XE might help.

In a few of my XE computers rubber feet are 2mm high and seems not to be damaged nor crushed. Maybe in US version are a bit higher?

dscf1157i.jpg

Edited by Simius

Mixed results so far with this 600XL: disk partitioned OK, and passed KMK/IDEa stability test. However, kept locking up the system with a 2amp PSU, so I hooked up an external 5v supply in the hope this would improve stability (this has the odd but perhaps inevitable effect of powering up the machine as soon as the drive's power is turned on). Things seemed to work OK until I tried RWCRC, which failed with a #144 write error pretty quickly.

Obviously I need to try other HDDs, other XLs...

Mixed results so far with this 600XL: disk partitioned OK, and passed KMK/IDEa stability test. However, kept locking up the system with a 2amp PSU, so I hooked up an external 5v supply in the hope this would improve stability (this has the odd but perhaps inevitable effect of powering up the machine as soon as the drive's power is turned on). Things seemed to work OK until I tried RWCRC, which failed with a #144 write error pretty quickly.

FJC, dont do this, as it sends all the power for the machine through that small trace on the 600XL board, and can create numerous power and stability issues...

sloopy.

SpartaDOS? We have a big list at the German ABBUC Forum with some useful hints. Maybe somebody translates it to english (I can´t do it before the weekend).

But as far as I understand, SpartaDos won´t work with XLs, only with XEs. One German guy (tfhh) is preparing a small hardware, maybe that helps.

I am somewhat frustrated about that, because I prefer my 800XL, but for testing I´ll check with the 800 XE at the weekend. I would really love to use SDX which is in the Interface.

therealbountybob:

1) go to http://drac030.krap....kmkjz-pliki.php

2) download "User's manual" and "Utility disk". This is for the older version, but it will certainly help

3) attach the utility ATR via APE or similar version and boot it.

4) load FDISK2.COM, get familiar with the program, read the instructions in the manual

5) partitioning the disk remember that you have to allocate twice as much logical sectors as you want to be visible under MyDOS. The best hint is first switch all the partitions to 512 bytes per sector in FDISK, type the required number of sectors, then switch to 256 bytes per sectors. The FDISK then will multiply the partition size accordingly (NOTE: this is so complicated because this is the legacy FDISK, the new firmware is somewhat different, so one must use such a trick to get it to working)

6) write the partition table out to the drive and follow the instructions from the manual (there's a section about MyDOS)

You also may want to visit the actual configuration menu: to enter it, hold START and press RESET. Esc exits it without changes, Ctrl/X exits saving the settings to the RTC RAM (the ones which can be saved, that is), Ctrl/B does the same as Ctrl/X plus reboots the machine.

If something is not clear here, please ask questions.

IMPORTANT: the IDE+ BIOS only supports LBA mode. This means that the drive you use with it must be produced in 1996 or later.

Edited by drac030

I may have missed the obvious but can you tell me where to find the driver?

If it is not on the cartridge, then the interfaces must have been programmed before the driver came to the ROM images. Apologies for our lack of organization.

Many thanks! No apologies necessary - I am already enjoying these a great deal. Having SDX built in to the interface is a dream come true for me :)

It wont plug into any of my modified XEs because the ECI tongues are so short that the drive ends up physically touching the back of the case.. My 1200XL cased 130XEs don't have problems with any other product, but this one won't plug in.. My other XE has stereo RCA jacks on it directly above the ECI port, so it wont plug into that machine either. This is also going to pose MAJOR issues for anyone who plans to try to come up with a case for this thing, because as I said, the drive literally TOUCHES the back of the XE case.

Thanks for comments.

Maybe you check it with a thick, older style disk. Mine does not touch and above the ECI port is enough place for RCA connectors:

The premise of the XL connector under the board serving as a supporting "foot" is not 100% true. On my XE, I needed an additional 3mm (approx.) of "spacer" under it to support the interface, otherwise the entire weight of the drive and board were "hanging" from the ECI connector. If appropriate provisions are not made by the user, THIS WILL CAUSE PROBLEMS OVER TIME.. NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER.. Possibly, removing the rubber feet from the bottom of the XE might help.

In a few of my XE computers rubber feet are 2mm high and seems not to be damaged nor crushed. Maybe in US version are a bit higher?

Yeah. Good points. I dont have any super-slim modern notebook drives handy to test.

I will probably remove (desolder) both the notebook drive adapter and the XL-Edge connector from mine, and mount it inside some sort of plastic case along with a 5/12vdc power source, and a real desktop drive mounting bay.. This way, it's just like any other PBI IDE hardisc device, and I can easily use it with a wide variety of real drives.

SpartaDOS? We have a big list at the German ABBUC Forum with some useful hints. Maybe somebody translates it to english (I can´t do it before the weekend).

But as far as I understand, SpartaDos won´t work with XLs, only with XEs. One German guy (tfhh) is preparing a small hardware, maybe that helps.

I am somewhat frustrated about that, because I prefer my 800XL, but for testing I´ll check with the 800 XE at the weekend. I would really love to use SDX which is in the Interface.

Using SDX from the IDEPlus on my 600XL right now with no issues so far. Some fun trying to get he RTC working as the driver is reporting "IDEPlus clock not present" but working except for that.

EDIT: Killed my autoexec.bat and config.sys and now no longer see the error message when loading the driver but time is still not updated. Still playing.

EDIT2: 2 X 800XLs not working. 1 stock except PBI power mod which fails to even boot with or without SDX enabled and 1 which is my daily drive and has 256Mb / PHI2 stability mod / Stereo and is usually hooked up to the MIO which hangs with SDX enabled and boots to basic without.

Edited by spookt

Got the clock working :D

1) I turned OFF APE Time Read in config then saved and rebooted.

2) I turned ON APE Time Read in config then saved and rebooted.

3) Copied Apetime.sys and Apetime.com from the Apetime.arc in the SDX Toolkit to D1:

4) Added to Autoexec.bat:

APETIME

TD ON

Adding device apetime or device ideptime to config.sys just caused an error.

Steps #1 and #2 may not be necessary, but that's what got me going...

Jay

EDIT: typos...

Edited by AtariGeezer

Was the package's dimensions larger than the alloted size to be stuffed into a mailbox?

No, ALL packages sent from overseas are treated that way by my local post office (and I'm not complaining as I've lost stuff that my mum sent me when it was left at my old address)

Although I'm sure they think I'm half Pole, half Brit at this point!

Mark I Leg (p) :D

post-19705-0-31513700-1306949414_thumb.jpg

I knew those plug protector thingys would come in useful one day, luckily I had a single screw that was the correct thread and length... next step software :)

this reminds me of those 'when you see it you will...' photos so commonly going around...

but this one is the one of the worst...

sloopy.