IGNORED

IDE Plus 2.0 - preorder starts today

drac030

It's because the Ass-Rig only has a ™ and a certification, but it still needed that all ellusive Kite Mark!

What's needed now is to start the process of making it an ISO certification. ISO-37337. Of course we can count on Microsoft poisoning that process* as well since the certification is apt to be retroactively applied once granted.

* See shenanigans around ISO certification of the odf formats.

When you received a package, pls let me know. Thanks.

Received the two units today, that was pretty fast :)

Lucked out and also received a Toshiba 2gb MK2103 in today's mail too, fun times ahead :D

Many thanks Jacek :thumbsup:

Jay

Thanks. This is amazing news. :)

Received my package today, postmarked in Poland on 5-23 -- 6 work days (counting Saturday and not counting our Memorial Day, 5-30).

Setting it up right now. (10 minutes later -- both come up fine with SDX)

I was concerned for a moment when they would not come up on an 800XL, but forgot there is no PBI power on the 800XL, so got out an XE.

It might be helpful to start a new thread for "setting up" instead of adding to the original thread. What are the jumpers/connectors for?

Is it possible to set up the drive with MyDos at the present time? I suspect not, unless one of the jumpers locks SDX out. (?)

-Larry

Larry,

the SDX can be switched permanently off using the switch located at the PCB side opposite to the XE connector.

Also, in the menu (START+RESET) one can switch the SDX temporarily off. The setting change only takes place when you do Ctrl/B afterwards (i.e. save settings + reboot).

Edited by drac030

If you live in USA, you should use your tracking number in the USPS tracking system. It work.

Orpheuswaking,

Your package is already in Indianapolis. What a surprise. :)

I received mine in Richmond VA today! :cool:

Hi Konrad-

Great! Thanks very much to you and Jacek. Terrific product. Really fast -- even with leisurely MyDos. I'm copying a HD backup over to it right now. I'm really impressed! Fit and finish is absolutely great. Wow!

-Larry

Larry,

the SDX can be switched permanently off using the switch located at the PCB side opposite to the XE connector.

Also, in the menu (START+RESET) one can switch the SDX temporarily off. The setting change only takes place when you do Ctrl/B afterwards (i.e. save settings + reboot).

This thing is very cool. What a great use for these 2.5" laptop drives I have hanging around here. Couple of questions...

1) Is the little white connector = 5v power for the HDD (I'm using a 2.5" WD 600VE Scorpio HDD?)?

2) If q #1 = yes, then can it be used to supply power for HDD when IDE 2.0 is used on both 130xe and 800xl?

3) I set the clock but TD ON still reports the wrong date time. I am guessing I need to load the clock driver in config.sys? What's it called?

So far I've only tried it briefly on my 130xe (no power hookup for 800xl yet). I think I am going to need the external power for the HDD if I continue to use these 2.5" drives.

Hi,

got my IDE 2.0 on last weekend and doing some tests. I´m very happy, all is working fine, it´s a good product. Congratulations to all people who worked on it.

A question: Normally the SDX 4.43 on the IDE 2.0 shouldn´t work on an Atari XL, because cartridge control signals (CCTL, S4, S5, RD4, RD5) are missing on the PBI. But when I switched on the SDX-switch, boot up with START pressed and select SDX on in the menu, the SDX 4.43 might work. I got most times some errors (i.e. IDE harddisk wasn´t found or error while loading the device drives for SDX), but after a few resets it works.

It is safe to use this SDX? How it´s possible to make the SDX run without the cartridge controls? And, is there a special SDX image in the flash or it´s the normal, published 4.43 image?

At some times the running SDX will be damaged. For example, wenn boot up, enter "BASIC" in the CLI, start some simple BASIC programs and enter "DOS" in Basic, an error 133 appears constantly. A coldstart is needed.

Thanks, Juergen

Got mine today.. WHat follows in a 100% honest review. Please don't take offense..

Build quality is excellent..

Functionality is excellent (Alpha firmware considered) and fast as hell..

Physical design... Well...

It wont plug into any of my modified XEs because the ECI tongues are so short that the drive ends up physically touching the back of the case.. My 1200XL cased 130XEs don't have problems with any other product, but this one won't plug in.. My other XE has stereo RCA jacks on it directly above the ECI port, so it wont plug into that machine either. This is also going to pose MAJOR issues for anyone who plans to try to come up with a case for this thing, because as I said, the drive literally TOUCHES the back of the XE case.

So I got a brand new XE (still in the box/plastic that 19Echo gave me..) and plugged it in.. Still not impressed... The premise of the XL connector under the board serving as a supporting "foot" is not 100% true. On my XE, I needed an additional 3mm (approx.) of "spacer" under it to support the interface, otherwise the entire weight of the drive and board were "hanging" from the ECI connector. If appropriate provisions are not made by the user, THIS WILL CAUSE PROBLEMS OVER TIME.. NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER.. Possibly, removing the rubber feet from the bottom of the XE might help.

Thankfully, there are ample extra holes that could concievably be used to mount the board to a suitable support/case solution. This is definitely a bit of a "saving grace" where the XE-DIRECT application is concerned. I reccomend anyone considering long-term useage in this manner look into some type of permanent support/mounting option.

I havent tried the XL ribbon cable yet. I will do that tomorrow. If all goes well, I think the ribbon cable will definitely be my preferred connection method for this interface.

SDX onboard should be fully operational on the XL series computers. It is possible without cartridge control signal, because other control signals (i.e. EXTSEL) are available. Software difference is only one: presence of SDX don't affect TRIG3 signal. SDX image on the flash ROM is special.

At some times the running SDX will be damaged. For example, wenn boot up, enter "BASIC" in the CLI, start some simple BASIC programs and enter "DOS" in Basic, an error 133 appears constantly. A coldstart is needed.

That's not a good symptom. What is the hardware configuration? Especially, how much RAM the machine has?

3) I set the clock but TD ON still reports the wrong date time. I am guessing I need to load the clock driver in config.sys? What's it called?

Sorry, I overlooked that question at first. The clock driver is called IDEPTIME.SYS.

Alternatively you can use JIFFY.SYS and APETIME.COM to fetch the time from the IDE Plus clock and set in the DOS (that was the provisional method of using the clock before the actual driver has been done). Of course, "APE Time read" must be on in the config for this to work. But I recommend using the driver instead, of course :)

Mine arrived today - just unwrapped it. :) Exhudes quality.

Clearly some kind of quick start guide would be useful here, but the project seems to have moved so fast that it's unreasonable of us to expect finished documentation, etc. As Svenski says - getting a working unit into the users' hands so quickly is quite a feat.

EDIT: Glad I ordered the XL cable... slight oversight in the design: the unit doesn't fit (upright) on a 600XL properly if there's a molex plugged into the SIO socket. XE edge connector is a couple of millimetres too long...

Not a problem for me, since I'll be using the cable: I was just going to test it using the XL card edge connector for quickness, but no go.

OK - squeezed it together sufficiently to partition the disk. All good so far. XL ribbon connection also appears to work fine. :D

Edited by flashjazzcat

So the SDX works on the XL with the ribbon cable without any additional lines having to be brought from the XL machine?

(after reading the info from Ken, I'm glad I got mine with the ribbon cable)

Edited by orpheuswaking

If you live in USA, you should use your tracking number in the USPS tracking system. It work.

Orpheuswaking,

Your package is already in Indianapolis. What a surprise. :)

I'm beyond amazed, and over a holiday weekend too...

Although it arrived at the local PO yesterday, but for some reason it's not out for delivery today :(

>>>

It might be helpful to start a new thread for "setting up" instead of adding to the original thread. What are the jumpers/connectors for?

<<<

-Larry

This would be good, for both the XL and XE.

This is my first bit of modern Atari kit (apart from the multijoy8 last week!). Arrived today :thumbsup: now I need to read up :ponder:

Anyone come up with some ingenious legs/support re Metalguys post re strain on 130XE :?:

or case made from an icecream tub etc :cool:

[edit - mine seems to line up pretty well to the XE so putting it on a thin (beer) mat should be ok - think 1 leg for the opposite corner will do :ponder: ]