IGNORED

High Score Club 9.08 - Variety Pack 4

Ze_ro

Thanks, Atarigal. Good to see you participating in the HSC. Hope you're having fun with it, despite Stampede (I'm amazed by the scores people are getting on this game!)

I never played Joust before, so I'm glad I participated, since it's a great game. :D I just tried Stampede again and got 300 points, hahaha.

Unfortunately, my Dad has suffered a stroke from complications after his recent heart surgery. :sad:

Needless to say not much time for Atari. Looks like this was a very active variety pack too.

Posting what I can.

Megamania = 999,999

Jungle Hunt = 39,840

Joust = 196,200

Stampede = 8,756

post-10944-0-39936700-1304455957_thumb.jpgpost-10944-0-20126500-1304455945_thumb.jpgpost-10944-0-46023200-1304455933_thumb.jpgpost-10944-0-46630200-1304455973_thumb.jpg

FINAL SCORE

Jungle Hunt

Made it through about 5 times or so,

My Jungle fever is over!

Jacob, that score is unfathomable! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks gorfy!...

the boulders bounced higher in round 4, I even lost a life jumping over a small one... and the vines 5th time around were very tough just like round 4. I lost on the vines, they become the hardest part of the game passed 50ks. :-o

Final point totals. That's enough for tonight, can't do any more. I don't know why I can't get my Stampede groove back. I barely got 2K on my last try. Pathetic. At least my high score is still a good one. Anyway, some score increases here. I have pictures in case anyone cares, but they're not too much higher (other than Joust and Jungle Hunt). Finally joined the 30K club in the Hunt. I really wanted that 200K in Joust. Damn close. Those later levels, you pretty much can't die. The dukes swarm you and starting from below ain't pretty. Plus, they start dealing out double pterodactyls later, and that's even tougher.

Megamania: 119,780

Jungle Hunt: 35,590

Stampede: 5,906

Joust: 189,450

Wow! What a competition this was! Far more participants than I expected... If I knew so many people were going to be playing, I would have liked to hand out more points... it seems like such a shame to only be giving 1 point to some truly excellent scores...

Anyways, I hope everyone had a lot of fun! These special competitions are always a little heavy on the numbers, so I urge you all to check the updated scores (check the DK Jr thread) to make sure I got all the math right.

And now for a little statistics fun, for those who might be curious:

The total cumulative point total for everyone (after weighting them accordingly) was 33,474,537 points, with each game contributing the following:

• Megamania: 17.2%
  • Jungle Hunt: 22.6%
  • Joust: 32.0%
  • Stampede: 28.2%

So it turns out you guys were quite a bit better at Joust than I expected, while the Megamania scores were lower than I expected (also, only 23 out of 26 players submitted scores for Megamania... though even if three additional people had played it and rolled the score, it still wouldn't have brought the total up to 25%). A better choice of multipliers would have been Megamania x2, Jungle Hunt x15, Joust x3, and Stampede x70. This would have resulted in the following distribution:

• Megamania: 25.8%
  • Jungle Hunt: 25.5%
  • Joust: 24.0%
  • Stampede: 24.7%

(The idea being that all games should be contributing about 25% to the final score while using relatively simple multipliers... Though I like the idea of players figuring out the scoring and trying to focus on the games that will work out the best for them. Sort of a game within a game. I'm not sure if anyone actually does this though.)

That weighting would have also shifted the total scoring slightly, though the only significant changes would have been an extra point for Vocelli and Stan, and one lost point for Mister VCS and pis.

--Zero

• Like 4

Wow! What a competition this was! Far more participants than I expected... If I knew so many people were going to be playing, I would have liked to hand out more points... it seems like such a shame to only be giving 1 point to some truly excellent scores...

Anyways, I hope everyone had a lot of fun! These special competitions are always a little heavy on the numbers, so I urge you all to check the updated scores (check the DK Jr thread) to make sure I got all the math right.

And now for a little statistics fun, for those who might be curious:

The total cumulative point total for everyone (after weighting them accordingly) was 33,474,537 points, with each game contributing the following:

• Megamania: 17.2%
  • Jungle Hunt: 22.6%
  • Joust: 32.0%
  • Stampede: 28.2%

So it turns out you guys were quite a bit better at Joust than I expected, while the Megamania scores were lower than I expected (also, only 23 out of 26 players submitted scores for Megamania... though even if three additional people had played it and rolled the score, it still wouldn't have brought the total up to 25%). A better choice of multipliers would have been Megamania x2, Jungle Hunt x15, Joust x3, and Stampede x70. This would have resulted in the following distribution:

• Megamania: 25.8%
  • Jungle Hunt: 25.5%
  • Joust: 24.0%
  • Stampede: 24.7%

(The idea being that all games should be contributing about 25% to the final score while using relatively simple multipliers... Though I like the idea of players figuring out the scoring and trying to focus on the games that will work out the best for them. Sort of a game within a game. I'm not sure if anyone actually does this though.)

That weighting would have also shifted the total scoring slightly, though the only significant changes would have been an extra point for Vocelli and Stan, and one lost point for Mister VCS and pis.

--Zero

I think the way the scoring went was perfect.

In a normal world Megamania should be a better scoring game then Joust but we had some insane good scores with that one, including a rolled score by Oyama which I can't believe!

It's true Zero, so many good scores got just 1 point, but at least gamers here played all or most of the 4 games... that's 5 points total plus an added combined score to that.

Who knows maybe for the next Variety Pack you might award 6 points each game or 7. I am not sure if it would help, as the top leaders might "overscore" and end up seperating from the middle ranks a lot more.

I'll check my updated score to see if it's correct.

:thumbsup: Nice work Zero! Was fun... :cool:

• Like 1