IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Sorry I am a little late to post.

On tuesday, at my lunch break, I picked up a 4-switch woody from a friend. Later that day I stopped by a local thrift and bought seven 2600 games for 25 cents to 75 cents a piece. I don't know why the prices differ but they do. The games are: Tele-games 66 (Asteroids,) Keystone Kapers, Barnstorming, Realsports FOOTBALL, Grand Prix, my sixth picture Demon Attack, and another Missle Command.

Here are the pictures:

post-5435-1117737988_thumb.jpg

post-5435-1117738445_thumb.jpg

Hey! This thread is finally a 'sticky'! Cool!

Today, in one thrift, I found one lonely little Atari XE Jungle Hunt cart for 50¢. I searched all over, but couldn't find anything else Atari related. I hoped the computer or maybe some more carts would be around, but they weren't. :sad:

I found, mixed into the videotape section of a Goodwill, a CIB copy of Cyborg Hunter (Activision) for the Sega Master System with no price tag on it. I also picked up Great Golf for the SMS marked $5, and the saleslady sold them for $3 each. As I was standing at the counter, I also picked up a keychain version of Centipede for $3.

Hey! This thread is finally a 'sticky'! Cool!

Today, in one thrift, I found one lonely little Atari XE Jungle Hunt cart for 50¢. I searched all over, but couldn't find anything else Atari related. I hoped the computer or maybe some more carts would be around, but they weren't.  :sad:

I found, mixed into the videotape section of a Goodwill, a CIB copy of Cyborg Hunter (Activision) for the Sega Master System with no price tag on it. I also picked up Great Golf for the SMS marked $5, and the saleslady sold them for $3 each. As I was standing at the counter, I also picked up a keychain version of Centipede for $3.

866650[/snapback]

do you have the issue as i do that if an items price tag has become seperated from its item, said item must be returned back into the pricing circulation.. ie..they wont let you buy it or make an offer?

of course.. I usually don't deal with good will anymore.. the only one fairly close to me, that deals in electronics is still a bit off the path for me so, I don't deal with them.

besides.. I hear goodwill been getting alittle shady on the EBay side of things.

my favorite thrift is usually always good for some gems, and they have astrict no employee purchase policy.. of course..there is no guarnentee the pricing guy isn't slipping some stuff in his coat before it hits the floor y'know

Yeah, I was concerned because the game had no price on it. They almost never sell stuff without prices on them. But the lady didn't look at that, she looked at all the other assorted games under the glass counter (all sports) that were on sale for $3 each, so that's what she charged me. Whew!

Goodwill is okay here. Sometimes I can find things there, as opposed to Salvation Army. I've found just about nothing, ever, in Salvation Army stores around here. Just a few Sega Genesis boxes without carts in them, at most. Those stores are always dry holes in these parts.

Am I going crazy here or what? Are there two "Thrift find" threads? When I get my email notification sometimes when I get to the thread there are 50 some pages and other times there are 80 some pages in the thread.

Today at the dirt mall (flea market):

4 switch woody

Pong machine

Star Raiders controller w overlay

2 power adapters

golf

pitfall

video pinball

galaga (nes)

snake's revenge (nes)

super r-type (snes)

saturn controller

and

joycard sansui sss (stereo sound simulator) NES controller(R4, not bad for a controller) . It has a RCA plug that goes to the audio out at the concole, and a headphone jack in the controller. DP guide states that the audio moves left or right when you move that direction on the d-pad.

all for $70. Not a steal but fair I think.

Found a virtual boy for $1 with mario tennis, it is pretty fun acctually.

Found a basket with a bunch of random 2600, coleco, and ti-84 games in it, along with a vader, some random controllers and such for $5. I was so glad to find anything game related that wasn't a $50 n64.

Found a virtual boy for $1 with mario tennis, it is pretty fun acctually.

Found a basket with a bunch of random 2600, coleco, and ti-84 games in it, along with a vader, some random controllers and such for $5. I was so glad to find anything game related that wasn't a $50 n64.

868039[/snapback]

I was hip to get mine (virtua boy) for $15. good haul! I also got 2 other games besides so now I'm justifying cost... in any case.. it was a sytem I always wanted as a a kid.. and now I freakn gotit.. and so far playing.. no migranes, nor siezures! ROCK ON! WOOHOO!

and yeah..really..why is N64 shit ging so high any ways? its getting ready to be three generations old.. aint nobody camping on nuthin!

One day I'm going to read this entire thread :P

I'v found too much to mention since my last visit so I'll stick with my last find.

Sega Saturn steering wheel

(Saturn games)

Myst

Ultimatre Mortal Kombat

Command & Conquer

Need for speed

And a boxed NES with the Four Score on the side and the claim of realistic 3-D images

well its different from my other boxes anyway.

One day I'm going to read this entire thread  :P

868258[/snapback]

I'm not going to read the entire thing, it'll depress me too much. I never find things like some of these lucky people do. I've had some pretty good finds, but not like some of you guys. :)

I've always thought that Virtual Boy was an unfairly maligned system. Then again, I never had the dizziness etc. that people complain about. It's a great system to collect for since you can still get sealed games for it pretty cheap - and the Japanese labeled carts work just fine in a US Virtual Boy, you'll just have to find the instructions online.

There are a few rare carts that are expensive, but seldom are they worth it. The one that is is "Tetris 3D". There's a "VR Tetris" which is just regular old Tetris with some 3D effects going on around it, but "3D Tetris" does actually let you play the game in three dimensions. Last time I checked, that game was going for $25-50 and might actually be worth it.

BTW there are actual moving parts in a VB that can break down, so if you see other ones in the future you may want to pick them up as spares. I just found another one myself for $6 on Thursday. Thanks for bringing me such good VB karma guys! :D

One day I'm going to read this entire thread  :P

868258[/snapback]

I'm not going to read the entire thing, it'll depress me too much. I never find things like some of these lucky people do. I've had some pretty good finds, but not like some of you guys. :)

868352[/snapback]

Persistence and luck, I've gone months with out finding jack. then when I do its all joy.

My absolute best finds were a $5 controllerless Vectrex, and an Atari Video Music with the power cable sliced off, also for $5. I guess I'm pretty lucky for finding those, but holy cow, when people say they found a Neo Geo AES console with a dozen games at a yard sale for next to nothing, I turn bright green with envy. Ah well, I've only been thrifting for a couple years. On my two days off per week, I waste a couple hours hitting thrifts. The problem is, the stores have a lot of foot traffic. I need to drive out into the middle of nowhere, where eBay resellers don't go, and check thrifts out there. Who knows, in some junk shop somewhere in Flyspeck, Texas, I might find a stack of boxed RDI Halcyons for $10 each. :-o

Edited by SteveW

So I'm in a local thrift outlet store and in one of the bins I see a PILE of NES carts. I'm pretty excited because they are sold by weight so I can expect to pay no more than $2-$3 for the whole lot.

I start to toss them in a box and I realize that they are mostly Wrestlemania carts. There must have been 10 or 12 of them. (The rest were Mario Bros/Duck Hunt). What kind of sick @$%&^* joke is that?

I wonder how that many copies of a single game got donated to GW? A rental store maybe?

Picked up a GameGear yesterday, along with NHL All Stars and Sonic 2 for 8 bucks.

Today I found a Mattel Football 2 Handheld game for 99c (don't bump your bright red dot into the dull red or blinking dull red dots! Hours of Fun!) Ah well, I couldn't pass it up for that price! :D

I've always thought that Virtual Boy was an unfairly maligned system.  Then again, I never had the dizziness etc. that people complain about.  It's a great system to collect for since you can still get sealed games for it pretty cheap - and the Japanese labeled carts work just fine in a US Virtual Boy, you'll just have to find the instructions online.

There are a few rare carts that are expensive, but seldom are they worth it.  The one that is is "Tetris 3D".  There's a "VR Tetris" which is just regular old Tetris with some 3D effects going on around it, but "3D Tetris" does actually let you play the game in three dimensions.  Last time I checked, that game was going for $25-50 and might actually be worth it.

I've got the entire US collection complete, and eight Japanese titles complete of the eight or nine that were sold by EB. (All eight were also released in US versions.) I've even got not one, but two shrinkwrapped copies of Waterworld. And a Blockbuster store display unit.

So I'm in a local thrift outlet store and in one of the bins I see a PILE of NES carts. I'm pretty excited because they are sold by weight so I can expect to pay no more than $2-$3 for the whole lot.

I start to toss them in a box and I realize that they are mostly Wrestlemania carts. There must have been 10 or 12 of them. (The rest were Mario Bros/Duck Hunt). What kind of sick @$%&^* joke is that?

At that kind of price, I'd get them all just for the homebrew shells potential.

So anyhow, I was in Dallas again last weekend and found some more good stuff.

At one thrift in Arlington, they had a bunch of Sega Genesis games, mostly commons, but mostly complete. And most of them were the half price color of the week. So for $1.91 each, I got:

Troy Aikman Football CIB, NFL '95 CIB, Winter Challenge CIB and with a few Ballistic Games trading cards, Summer Challenge CB, Joe Montana Football CIB, Sports Talk Football '93 CIB, Triple Score CIB, Davis Cup Tennis CB.

I also found SNES Home Improvement there loose for $4, and a Powerbook 520 for $20.

At another rather dodgy looking thrift in Arlington, I found NES Ghostbusters, 2600 Sky Skipper, and 2600 Star Trek for $3 each.

Other stuff found elsewhere:

NES Tecmo Super Bowl $1

Genesis Beauty and the Beast: Roar of the Beast $3

SNES Dino City (somewhat trashed label) $5 . . . yeah, an R5 and an R6 in the same day!

I also found my second V-marc unit, for $2. This is some kind of craptop from the early '80s with an 80C40 and 8088 CPU inside, and which took cartridges for stuff like amortization and other kind of financial stuff. But on the good side, it had four 27512, five 27256, and one 27128 inside, so it was worth it for the EPROMs alone. I've already desoldered and dumped the lot.

At one thrift in Arlington, they had a bunch of Sega Genesis games, mostly commons, but mostly complete.  And most of them were the half price color of the week.  So for $1.91 each, I got:

Troy Aikman Football CIB, NFL '95 CIB, Winter Challenge CIB and with a few Ballistic Games trading cards, Summer Challenge CB, Joe Montana Football CIB, Sports Talk Football '93 CIB, Triple Score CIB, Davis Cup Tennis CB.

870221[/snapback]

That was at Collins Street Thrift, wasn't it? They've had loads of Sega sports games sitting in their case for a while. What I want to know is, where was the dodgy thrift that you bought the 2600 games in? I hit those stores last week, and I didn't see any 2600 games at all.

My absolute best finds were a $5 controllerless Vectrex, and an Atari Video Music with the power cable sliced off, also for $5. I guess I'm pretty lucky for finding those, but holy cow, when people say they found a Neo Geo AES console with a dozen games at a yard sale for next to nothing, I turn bright green with envy. Ah well, I've only been thrifting for a couple years. On my two days off per week, I waste a couple hours hitting thrifts. The problem is, the stores have a lot of foot traffic. I need to drive out into the middle of nowhere, where eBay resellers don't go, and check thrifts out there. Who knows, in some junk shop somewhere in Flyspeck, Texas, I might find a stack of boxed RDI Halcyons for $10 each.  :-o

868654[/snapback]

Not quite "flyspeck" but in Belton TX there is a dirt mall that has a game shack. (yes, it really is a shack" and he has a lot of good stuff, incl a heavy sixer.

That was at Collins Street Thrift, wasn't it? They've had loads of Sega sports games sitting in their case for a while. What I want to know is, where was the dodgy thrift that you bought the 2600 games in? I hit those stores last week, and I didn't see any 2600 games at all.
About two miles due east of there, at New York Street, I think it was. In a strip mall full of dollar stores.

I passed up a couple other NES games there because they had a box, but no instructions. And one of those two I would have bought, but the box was crushed.

About two miles due east of there, at New York Street, I think it was. In a strip mall full of dollar stores.

I passed up a couple other NES games there because they had a box, but no instructions. And one of those two I would have bought, but the box was crushed.

870800[/snapback]

I stopped going to that place, because they never had anything of interest. They had lots of brand new DVD players/surround sound stereo setups, but what they had electronic-wise wasn't all that great. I never found a single game in there before, so I stopped visiting. Oh well, my loss.