IGNORED

Masters of the Universe - The Power of He-Man

NIAD

A bit off topic here.. but man, that is a nice collection.. 450, that's a pretty good chunk of them anyway.. You're over halfway there :-D I have about a 1/3 of the NES library, a Lonnggg way to go. :-( I've been collecting both since I was a kid on and off. I never threw anything out! Lol.

My grand plan this year is to scoop up a bunch of loose carts at once, a bulk deal hopefully through some nearby friends and flea markets. There's a bunch of common carts I should have already but don't. Spring/tax time is just around the corner. I hope everything's ripe for pickin' this year, we'll see!

I also want to finish off my CV collection, I'm halfway there. I have yet to get an Atarimax or PowerPak.. Not exactly chump change at the moment. ;-)

A bit off topic here.. but man, that is a nice collection.. 450, that's a pretty good chunk of them anyway.. You're over halfway there :-D I have about a 1/3 of the NES library, a Lonnggg way to go. :-( I've been collecting both since I was a kid on and off. I never threw anything out! Lol.

My grand plan this year is to scoop up a bunch of loose carts at once, a bulk deal hopefully through some nearby friends and flea markets. There's a bunch of common carts I should have already but don't. Spring/tax time is just around the corner. I hope everything's ripe for pickin' this year, we'll see!

I also want to finish off my CV collection, I'm halfway there. I have yet to get an Atarimax or PowerPak.. Not exactly chump change at the moment. ;-)

I do have about 50 double carts I'm going to sell

Hit me if you're interested

There's some good titles in there (including Wacky Races)

There are many protos out there for coleco that people are not letting us see.

As far as prototypes of CV games that were never finished/released and have yet to be shared with the masses, let's see:

1) Cabbage Patch Kids: Workout (Coleco) - at least one repro cart is known to exist along with the proto and a couple people have the rom file

2) Energy Quizz (Sierra/Sydney) - not really a proototype, but a cart specially produced for Hydro Quebec Energy Co. (like Caterpillar: S.O.S. was developed by Nuvatec for CAT dealerships) and it is rumored to be a hack of the game WizMath. Only one cart is known to exist.

3) Ice Palace (Xonox) - uncovered in 2006 via a YouTube video which does not show a whole lot... just some icy platforms set against a blue screen.

4) Joust (Atari) - the no-sound version has been available for a while and one person is reported to have the sound code, but won't share. Something tells me that we won't have to bother that guy anymore and hopefully some good news will be reported in the coming months.

5) Masters of the Universe: The POwer of He-Man (Mattel) - enough has been discussed about this one in this thread.

6) Masters of the Universe II (Mattel) - reported to have been near complete, but the game never saw a release for any system and the Intellivision version ended up being renamed/reworked and released as Diner.

7) Missile Command (Atari) - seems to be only a title screen demo,

8.) Ms. Pac-Man - found last year and mentioned in a previous post in this thread,

9) Power Grabber (Sydney) - Following info provided by Digital Press: There is one known copy of this rare prototype in existence. Per Digital Press' online guide it was auctioned at the Digital Press website in November 2003 and won for $940. According to the previous owner, 'the game was written to keep the wee ones busy. Basically, the players chase each other over the screen, leaving a trail behind. The player with the most surrounded area at the end of the timed period wins. That's it. If there are higher levels, they are well-hidden. My understanding was that the game was distributed to the nuke-u-lar stations, so there ought to be some other copies floating around. But in the 20 years since this one appeared, another has not shown up, nor has anyone from Sydney come forward with another prototype. So, it was another special game developed like CAT: S.O.S. and Energy Quizz and not a prototype per say.

All the other prototypes that I know off have been shared with the CV community via different means, so there really aren't that many left to go unless there are more that I do not know about. Anyone have anything to add to my list.

ED: forgot Ms. Pac-Man, but then again, we already have it and a lot more via Opcode's tremendous Pac-Man Collection.

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 2

Yep, just remembered Pink Panther as well. I was actually the high bidder for the complete set of War Room protos that included SAT Defense on the Game Gavel auction a couple months ago, but the Reserve was not met. Something tells me that the owner wasn't serious about selling and just wanted to see what kind of price the market would set in an auction environment.

• Like 1

I've been trying to contact Ren for months regarding the Pink Panther proto/demo. I'm not sure why, but he hasn't responded. He's put up some videos of the War Room and Power Lords (early) protos on YouTube, but they're a bit rough, they have few views (if only by me), and no comments. Trying to figure out exactly what he wants… it's nice to see the other two games, but we would really like to see Pink Panther!

I've been trying to contact Ren for months regarding the Pink Panther proto/demo. I'm not sure why, but he hasn't responded. He's put up some videos of the War Room and Power Lords (early) protos on YouTube, but they're a bit rough, they have few views (if only by me), and no comments. Trying to figure out exactly what he wants… it's nice to see the other two games, but we would really like to see Pink Panther!

I am pretty sure pink panther has to be just a demo and not playable, otherwise he would have thrown a video out there everyone would have gone crazy and big bucks would have went his way. I think he quickly found out that people are willing to buy the other protos but they are not going to spend a lot because the games were released. Then he saw us talking that if pink panther was not playable it would not be worth as much.

As the old saying goes,"something is better than nothing", and in this case we could probably make him a nice enough $$$ offer even for just a demo and he would have a nice chunk of pocket change and the CV community would have another bit of history to appreciate. Better that than the stuff he was lucky to acquire sits collecting dust.

Not to knock Game Gavel with those War Room auctions, but if he was serious about selling, he would have used eBay for the biggest possible visibility.

Eh! To each their own. Maybe he got a personal offer that was acceptable to him.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Just spoke to Keith and Emily of Intellivision Productions, Inc., here at CGE 2014! I asked them about MOTU, and they said that they WANT to release it!!!

The hold up, as many have stated and speculated over the years here, is that Mattel wants millions of dollars. Pretty crazy. Keith and Emily went on (humorously) to state that if I have the capital, maybe I could get it going with a publishing deal! :lolblue:

Anyways, thought I would provide a little thread-revival and pas this tidbit along. Not new, but a statement nonetheless!

• Like 2

Just spoke to Keith and Emily of Intellivision Productions, Inc., here at CGE 2014! I asked them about MOTU, and they said that they WANT to release it!!!

Has to be one of the most exciting :-o...

The hold up, as many have stated and speculated over the years here, is that Mattel wants millions of dollars.

...and disappointing :( items I ever came across in classic gaming.

Don't know if I love you or hate you right now, phattyboombatty. :P ;)

Inty Productions should just give the He-Man game to Mattel and let them make a CIB release! At least then Mattel will see that there really isn't any money to be made from selling roughly 300 copies of a game and it's more about the passion and love of what they do for all the Homebrewers in the community.

Why not just hack the graphics already and release it under a different name. I know this isn't the ideal way to go, but at least all this B.S. will finally be over with.

I'm pretty sure Mattel is not in the business of producing games any more, or having any fortune in bringing a cart to market. Hence the reason that the BSR broke off and banded together with their own IP.

Blue Sky Rangers own the game. Mattel owns the rights to MOTU. When the two were in bed together, it wouldn't have been an issue since it was all Mattel. Now the BSR are facing the same circumstances any of us face when we want to code a game: secure the rights to the IP, then you pay royalties on sale (ROS).

I'm confident that talks and negotiations will continue, and hopefully an agreement will be reached in the near future. I sure would like to start a Kickstarter campaign to back this and generate some dollars to make this work!

I'm pretty sure Mattel is not in the business of producing games any more, or having any fortune in bringing a cart to market. Hence the reason that the BSR broke off and banded together with their own IP.

Blue Sky Rangers own the game. Mattel owns the rights to MOTU. When the two were in bed together, it wouldn't have been an issue since it was all Mattel. Now the BSR are facing the same circumstances any of us face when we want to code a game: secure the rights to the IP, then you pay royalties on sale (ROS).

I'm confident that talks and negotiations will continue, and hopefully an agreement will be reached in the near future. I sure would like to start a Kickstarter campaign to back this and generate some dollars to make this work!

The best chance we have to get this game is if BSR release the rom freely AND without behing sold by ANY of us

Just a plain simple rom for us to finally enjoy playing this game! :)

If a kickstarter happen then, Excellent! , I would be one of the first in line to donate :)

Kickstarter won't work, Mattel is not stupid there is no way they think these games make money. They gave the big dollar figure because they don't really want them released. They figure if a rich idiot will pay them millions of dollars then fine, otherwise they do not want to see them get sold.

Best bet is to release the rom for free to show everyone their awesome work.

That or you have to wait until the guys in charge either retire or die so that some guy who once owned a colecovision gets the job and is like sure release it to them.

Still not much incentive to BSR, but I'm sure someone could replace the game sprites and music enough for it to be a different game, but then who would want it?

At least 150 people especially seeing as it is an original game and would have the added benefit of visibilty seeing as it would be a BSR release.

BTW phatty, when can we expect to see a thread about CGE and the CV items that were on display as well as new releases such as Joust and the four secret GDG releases?

• Like 2

At least 150 people especially seeing as it is an original game and would have the added benefit of visibilty seeing as it would be a BSR release.

BTW phatty, when can we expect to see a thread about CGE and the CV items that were on display as well as new releases such as Joust and the four secret GDG releases?

I'm actually surprised by the lack of trip reports, not just here but around the web. I'm really curious to hear about the Joust with sound. I wish I could have gone.

Other than Blix, the other 3 secret releases from GDG appear to be:

Failboat (by Peter G)

Thirty copies were made and Peter G hand autographed each label prior to the laminating process so that each is it's own unique collectable.

Road Duel (by Stephen Smith)

Stephen will be appearing at the Good Deal Games and Homebrew Heaven booth throughout the show, signing the back of his cartridges.

Rocket Pod (by RHillFake)

Rocket Pod is a game where you steer your rocket around and land on the pod.

http://www.atari2600homebrew.com/home/cge-2014

I'm actually surprised by the lack of trip reports, not just here but around the web. I'm really curious to hear about the Joust with sound. I wish I could have gone.

Other than Blix, the other 3 secret releases from GDG appear to be:

Failboat (by Peter G)

Thirty copies were made and Peter G hand autographed each label prior to the laminating process so that each is it's own unique collectable.

Road Duel (by Stephen Smith)

Stephen will be appearing at the Good Deal Games and Homebrew Heaven booth throughout the show, signing the back of his cartridges.

Rocket Pod (by RHillFake)

Rocket Pod is a game where you steer your rocket around and land on the pod.

http://www.atari2600homebrew.com/home/cge-2014

Looking at the cart label designs, those three all look like they're for the Atari 2600 and not the ColecoVision.