IGNORED

Masters of the Universe - The Power of He-Man

NIAD

That's like saying if you have intellivision donkey kong you don't need colecovision donkey kong.  Maybe not the best comparison.  Either way, where's the hypocrisy.

There was a MOTU II started on both platforms but neither one was very far along.

Edited by mr_me

3 hours ago, NIAD said:

There is no big secret to the CV version, just imagine the Intellivision version that was released with improved graphics and sound.

Easy enough to do since you can download the rom image and play on an emulator if you don’t own the Intellivision. And therein lies the hypocrisy of it all, you can download the Inty version from numerous sites all over the Web!

Far too many games available, both legacy and homebrews, on the CV to be concerned about this. If it eventually is shared with the community, great, if not, who cares!

As a child of the 80s, my favorite toys were basically ColecoVision, He-Man, Super Powers, Transformers, G.I. Joes.  Having the He-Man game on ColecoVision would be totally rad.  Don't think I need much more reason than that!

• Like 1

@mozartpc27 appreciate your effort, though I doubt there's anything Mattel will do about it.  I can go on ebay right now and buy 90 different vintage MOTU items excluding the figures, and Mattel doesn't get a dime from that.  The issue originally was that BSR owned the prototype I believe, and they do not release things for free.  Licensing from Mattel, should they even approve of a Colecovision release, which I highly doubt they would, is prohibitively expensive.  I don't know who "owns" the proto right now, or if there's multiple, who owns them all.  Regardless, should the rom "leak" onto the internet, what's Mattel going to do?  Like @NIAD said, every other MOTU, Barbie, Hot Wheels, etc. Mattel owned IP is out there for download on old systems.  You don't see Mattel chasing them down with their lawyers, they could care less.  What they do with regards to new, unauthorized animation content is another story though.  It's plainfully obvious no one will be able to release this game physically, but a rom leak is never going to be challenged by lawyers.  Yet it still has not happened.  ?

I will say that MOTU was one of my favorite all time games on the Intellivion next to Cloudy Mountain and Microsurgeon.

BTW, Microsurgeon was ported to the TI 994/A, what's up with that people.  Must I do everything?  Same chip set for the most part.

Anyway, for my couple of dimes I would say take what you know and port it yourselves.

As long as you don't sell it and make a dime but then again I do not know that side of da law.

My big beef about the game would be the music because the tune on Intellivision was so cool that I would put the cartridge in at times just to listen to it same as Snafu.  Some things just do not port.

As far as the Blue Sky Rangers, deep respect, but this is bogus in my eyes and they probably do not give it much thought outside that it may not be 100% complete and it is also a one of a kind.  But who knows, it's  not mine so I can't release it.

So again, what do you do you.  Make your own.

In the real world you call it something different and just do not have any copy write graphics like Castle Gray Sull.
Back then you had to use a bit of imagination with the games anyway.

Have a guy that fly's around in a car dropping bombs, go through a forest then sword fight with a dude.

Sorry, that's all I remember about the game.

Expand on it, make it your own.

Until this game is eventually released, probably when all the BSR members are deceased, then you have to improvise.

Colecovision is your canvas people.

A 256 by 192 canvas with 15 bland colors but look how many games have been created and not just for the Colecovision but for all it's sister systems as well.

I have watched a youtube video where a guy made a Zelda clone for his kids on the TI994A.  Are you going to tell me you ran out of ideas and steam?

Edited by Itchy Scratchy

7 hours ago, mr_me said:

Either way, where's the hypocrisy.

The hypocrisy is that copyright/licensing/etc. concerns are used to explain why the CV version can’t or won’t be made available either in an CIB form or just shared with the community when in fact all the licensing would have already been worked out by Mattel otherwise the CV version would have never been developed. The only thing that stopped it’s release back in the 80s was Mattel dropping support of the CV.

The hypocrisy is that the owners of the He-Man trademark are not forcing rom sites to remove the Inty version. It’s small potatoes and not worth their effort to police just as a small release on the CV officially or non-officially would not be worth there effort to police.

If a deal was to be attempted, the owners of the trademark would require a hefty sum of money for licensing to make it worth there while (lawyers are expensive) and no Homebrewer is going to pony up that amount for a small release of maybe 200 CIBs.

So like I said before, if you really need to play the game, it’s available already on the Inty. One can use their imagination while playing it and pretend it’s the CV version.

4 hours ago, mozartpc27 said:

As a child of the 80s, my favorite toys were basically ColecoVision, He-Man, Super Powers, Transformers, G.I. Joes.  Having the He-Man game on ColecoVision would be totally rad.  Don't think I need much more reason than that!

No denying the cool factor but the ship has sailed long ago.

There are some 400+ games available for the CV and more on there way which is plenty to keep one busy for a lifetime.

5 hours ago, NIAD said:

The hypocrisy is that copyright/licensing/etc. concerns are used to explain why the CV version can’t or won’t be made available either in an CIB form or just shared with the community when in fact all the licensing would have already been worked out by Mattel otherwise the CV version would have never been developed. The only thing that stopped it’s release back in the 80s was Mattel dropping support of the CV.

The hypocrisy is that the owners of the He-Man trademark are not forcing rom sites to remove the Inty version. It’s small potatoes and not worth their effort to police just as a small release on the CV officially or non-officially would not be worth there effort to police.

If a deal was to be attempted, the owners of the trademark would require a hefty sum of money for licensing to make it worth there while (lawyers are expensive) and no Homebrewer is going to pony up that amount for a small release of maybe 200 CIBs.

So like I said before, if you really need to play the game, it’s available already on the Inty. One can use their imagination while playing it and pretend it’s the CV version.

The game was first shown publicly in january 1984, later that month Mattel Electronics closed.  I guess you could say they dropped support for colecovision along with intellivision, atari 2600, ibm pc, apple ii, c64, and all the other platforms they were working on.  The company that picked up the IP did publish unreleased intellivision games.  They even made a cartridge out of the unfinished MOTU II, however the characters were swapped out for burgertime characters.  The intellivisionlives website simply says "INTV Corp ... did not want another Masters of the Universe cartridge".  At the time, INTV Corp was strictly publishing Intellivision cartridges although they had a number of atari 2600 games in their IP catalog.  Those were licensed to and published by Telegames in the late 1980s.  Telegames also published colecovision cartridges, so if someone were to have published Colecovision MOTU it would have been Telegames.

When rom image files were leaking on the internet in the 1990s, this prototype was in the hands of Intellivision Productions.  Some of their unreleased catalog was leaked on the internet because those prototypes happened to be in the hands of others and then wound up in the hands of collectors.  Intellivision Productions was a business that lived off of licensing their properties.  If they leaked someone else's property, that would have been hypocritical.

6 hours ago, Itchy Scratchy said:

Until this game is eventually released, probably when all the BSR members are deceased, then you have to improvise.

As I said, the game code and prototype belongs to Tommy Tallarico's company and is complete.  Gameplay, based on the intellivision version, is overrated in my opinion.

Edited by mr_me

• 1 month later...
On 11/15/2020 at 2:19 AM, mr_me said:

As I said, the game code and prototype belongs to Tommy Tallarico's company and is complete.  Gameplay, based on the intellivision version, is overrated in my opinion.

The prototype and does not belong to Tommy Tallarico's company. And I wouldn't say it is complete, since it never went through Q/A. It was ready to go to Q/A.

There are three known prototype cartridges of this game, all of which are slightly different. One has a cartridge shell with a prototype label, probably created by Keith Robinson when the game was shown at CGE. This copy was donated to The National Videogame Museum in Frisco, TX last March.

As the programmer, one copy has been in my hands for the entire time. I am unsure of the provenance of the third copy of the game, except that it is a slightly different version of the same game, and is now available on eBay.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/303832803390
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, BSRSteve said:

The prototype and does not belong to Tommy Tallarico's company. And I wouldn't say it is complete, since it never went through Q/A. It was ready to go to Q/A.

There are three known prototype cartridges of this game, all of which are slightly different. One has a cartridge shell with a prototype label, probably created by Keith Robinson when the game was shown at CGE. This copy was donated to The National Videogame Museum in Frisco, TX last March.

As the programmer, one copy has been in my hands for the entire time. I am unsure of the provenance of the third copy of the game, except that it is a slightly different version of the same game, and is now available on eBay.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/303832803390

Oh my! :-o

Now is the mission to preserve this game and make it available to all the CV fans out there

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, BSRSteve said:

Different how?  Do you think it's earlier or later than your copy?  I assume your copy is the same as the one Keith showed at CGE.

I'd be interested in hearing anything you can tell us about the game or its development.

44 minutes ago, BSRSteve said:

The third copy should technically belong to your company as well.  It should have been part of the assets you purchased in the 1990s even if it wasn't physically there.

My God, this might actually mean we get a .rom available at last. If indeed I'm understanding correctly that a copy of the proto is currently offered on Ebay as we speak. But, it'll probably be snapped up by a scalper who will hold onto it for years waiting to sell it for $1000 at some unspecified late future date, with nary a cart dump in the wind. But, I hope I'm wrong and it will be dumped and released into the wild!

16 minutes ago, zyzzle said:

My God, this might actually mean we get a .rom available at last. If indeed I'm understanding correctly that a copy of the proto is currently offered on Ebay as we speak. But, it'll probably be snapped up by a scalper who will hold onto it for years waiting to sell it for $1000 at some unspecified late future date, with nary a cart dump in the wind. But, I hope I'm wrong and it will be dumped and released into the wild!

I can tell you this
If CollectorVision get this game, we'll make the rom file available to all the CV fans just like all other prototypes we got  :)

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Tempest said:

Different how?  Do you think it's earlier or later than your copy?  I assume your copy is the same as the one Keith showed at CGE.

I'd be interested in hearing anything you can tell us about the game or its development.

I am not sure how the difference would manifest itself, just that the ROMs are not identical. When I was at the NVM last March (right as things were getting nuts), we dumped all three copies. They kept the copy that had a cartridge shell and label, which I assume is the one that Keith showed at CGE. The eProms from that one do not actually appear to be good any more, but at least NVM has ROM dumps of the other two as well. The two I currently have in my possession are both three eProms on a board, labelled slightly differently. The ROM images are not the same. The one that is not for sale actually has missing cross-bars on the two H's in THE POWER OF HE-MAN, though I don't know if that is the only difference or why I would have a copy that looks like that. I think that is the one that I had all along. I suspect the other two were in the hands of Q/A people, though it is possible that the CES copy was a separate copy that ended up in Keith's hands some how.

Unfortunately, I am too rusty to get past the second screen and to the castle, so I couldn't post a picture of the castle in my eBay listing.  The title screen in the listing is from an emulated screenshot, but I don't even know how to get the controls working on the emulator.

I had learned Z-80 while programming Utopia for Aquarius, so was a natural choice for Colecovision development when it was started in mid-late 1983. It boggles my mind a little how close I came to releasing four titles on three platforms at a job I held for only 27 months. I don't remember much about the specifics of developing the game, except that it was a fairly direct port of the Intellivison version, but taking advantage of any improvements that were possible.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, retroillucid said:

I can tell you this
If CollectorVision get this game, we'll make the rom file available to all the CV fans just like all other prototypes we got  :)

This thing is going to go for a goddamn fortune.  I sure hope you get it but I can't imagine you could ever make a profit if you did.

Amazing!

16 hours ago, BSRSteve said:

So cool that the programmer is on here.  Nice to "meet" you!

14 hours ago, retroillucid said:

I can tell you this

Yeah....still waiting on that Energy Quiz rom...

If this sells for a couple thousand we may be waiting another 30 years for it to be shared.

Until then I am fine with my intellivsion version to bring me memories.

The reality is you will never own the original without winning this bid and only a few select friends will own a copy.

So your options are pay through the nose for a winning bid or pay through the nose for a copy.

Then again there is no reason why you can't program your own version.

Even if you buy the thing who knows what issues you will have to go through just to make boxes and resell copies.

You may not be legally allowed to which you will have to sell it as a collectors one of a kind, after you make your backup like everyone else has of course, then try to recoup your winning bid.

Personally, I would recommend that unless you are middle aged and retired to use your earnings paying off credit cards, school loans and your mortgage if you have one because video games are not an investment.

Edited by Itchy Scratchy

4 hours ago, Itchy Scratchy said:

Yeah....still waiting on that Energy Quiz rom...

Name one prototype we didn't made available publicly?

Last year, we've released the rom file for Pink Panther
We even paid to rework Math Quest so it can be played on ColecoVision 

Energy Quiz will get release publicly, just be patient, it's only a matter of time

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

CollectorVision have been incredible with saving prototypes from hoarders and producing fantastic boxed versions of them.  The roms come later.  I'd rather CollectorVision picked up the He-Man prototype than anyone else.  Here's hoping.

Not mentionning that we're working with a private CV collector so we can dump 2 new prototypes!

The guy know how much we're involved into preserving unreleased ColecoVision stuff, and that's why he is willing to let us dump his 2 prototypes

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2