IGNORED

Tiger game.com

Here some comercials for the game.com:

I had never seen a game.com commercial before. Those were awe-inspiringly awful :D

First, let's repeatedly insult gamers in general by calling them morons.

Next, we're just going to obtusely yell throughout the commercial. We're not going to provide any actual information, just yelling.

These commercials must have been created by the Tourette Advertising Agency.

• Like 2

did you found something?

Not yet. Haven't had the chance, had to go to Akron, OH to the Relay for Life there this weekend. Will try to find time tonight. Sorry for the delay. I know it's somewhere in the house just got to find time to find it.

Does any one like the game.com or can say some positive thinks about it?

Despite its sub-sub-sub-par hardware, it would be possible to produce a decent game for the game.com, given the combination of a good designer and a (very) patient programmer. That's about as positive as I can think, in regard to this machine.

hope if find it.

I´am a love of Handheld Accessories^^

Does any one like the game.com or can say some positive thinks about it?

Well looked last night but wasn't where I thought, the basement. Did find N64 games, a bunch of strat guides and my Sega Saturn stuff. It's probably in the closet off my room. That's gonna take a little time to look through. I'll try to get to it tonight. So sorry it's taken so long. I've got a lot of stuff to go through.

I always found the Game.com version of Monopoly quite enjoyable. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the other games I have for it (a decent chunk of the U.S. releases with may 4 or 5 titles I don't have). At the time, I remember being pretty impressed with the touch screen, but not enough to try and pick one up before they went on clearance at Kaybee.

@vrocko and did you found something?

Sorry no. Have not had the time. I will see what I can do tonight.

Well I was able to look again last night but still didn't find it. Now I'm concerned. I know I didn't sell it but where the hell is it? Time to clean the closet out. It may be there but that's not where I remember putting it. Sorry guys.

• 10 months later...

Old thread, I know ;)

The game.com isn´t really that bad. I have one and really enjoy and play it. I finally bought a pocket pro with light and hope that the screen is a little better ;) Hope to receive this soon...

Beside the good board and tv games (Monopoly, Wheel of Fortune, Quiz Whiz, Scrabble) what are what they are (I mean if you like the game/show you will like the game.com version, too), you have the built-in Solitair and even some decent games.

My all-time favorite is the Batman and Robin game. I think this is the best Batman game ever. Serious... there´s everything, boss-fights, kind of puzzles and nice graphics with animated backgrounds and parallax scrolling, huge sprites and even cheats and secrets and great level design (ego shooter sequences, climbing levels, sidescroller - unfortunately not shown in the video). You don´t find such a deep gameplay in many other Batman games...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4gmojka3-s

Then you have Duke Nukem 3D, what is a really nice shooter and does a good job on the game.com even it is not real 3D, but I like the samples ;) It´s more Dungeon Master, but I like how they did it, e.g. the tunnel when you turn around the corner. Really nice... but it lacks a real ending sequence, that´s a big drawback for me and reminds me of my good old 7800... but beside that the game is great. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V72P9-6S7qM

I always loved resident evil and really missed it on my Atari Falcon... so I love the game.com conversion. It offers much game depth for such a low powered system. If you get used to the controls the game is really nice! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1whfiMVm-Hg

Then you have also good arcade conversions (Williams Arcade Classics - I love Joust! Frogger and Centipede), they may not have been worth the money back then, but they are now cheap and nice versions of those games.

The fighting games Fighters Mega Mix and Mortal Combat Trilogy are also good titles and look and play well. The first lacks special moves, the latter has choppier animations. They are sure not excellent but at least mediocre. If you like that genre you may enjoy them.

Also Jurassic Park is a nice game when you see it as a platformer. The driving sequences are like playing an old lcd-game. And that is exactly the biggest drawback of the game.com as Indy 500 is the same type of game. It looks and plays like a game and watch. I think the designers (all from Tiger) just made them what they were used to make. They learned as the later releases were in general better. Monopoly has really nice graphical effects.

Oh I forgot: The BIGGEST BIGGEST mistake they made was the sound hardware. You have just one channel. So either music, or sfx is played. And music is even worse than on the 2600/7800, BUT one of the BEST things about the game.com is that it can play 8-bit samples in decent quality, e.g. in Fighters Mega Mix and Duke Nukem they made a good job.

Hardware wise the game.com isn´t that bad and is MUCH better than the gameboy. Here you can see the gameboy versions of Batman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp_pH6Lo_KEhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YDzzSqzbn4&feature=related

Graphics are at least equal to the Lynx (beside animation what looks more fluid on the Lynx and sure the Lynx is color), I like the scrolling on the game.com and sure Batman Returns isn´t the finest hour of the system ;) But I needed something to compare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owjkbx1ieoc

(But in my opinion the Lynx was the best handheld until the GBA)

The CPU of the game.com could run around 10 MHz regarding the technical specs from Sharp, but I read somewhere that the game.com was running at around 4 MHz. No idea if that is true.

The touchscreen works nice for me.

Overall I see the game.com as some kind of what the Jaguar was at the console wars. It has a lot of potential and never got the games it deserved (Command and Conquer, Metal Gear Solid, RPGs were in the works).

Edited by Atari_Falcon
  • Like 2

I really hope that Atari_Falcon's post is genuine. It's always nice to see a system get some love - especially if it's something a little different... :)

Good for you, bloke!

It also means that all of Tiger's and the game developers' hardware wasn't all for nothing...

Geek Confession : My 'crappy console that I like' would have to be my beloved Pokemon Mini. Everyone laughs at me for that thing but I love it!

• Like 1

the board/quiz/puzzle games are really not that bad, on par with RCA Studio II

You're right, they aren't--it's statements like "Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Fighters Megamix and the Williams Classics play well!" that worry me. :ponder:

That´s not exactly what I said, but spoken about the controls you got me right. The gameplay is nice (far better than Kasumi Ninja on the Jaguar for example). Controls are easy to learn and with the 4 buttons you can do a lot in the fighting games and gfx are nice drawn. I don´t say the games are excellent, they are in between, but not as bad as people will tell you.

And what´s wrong with the Williams Arcade Classics? Joust (what is one of my favorite games) plays like Joust should play (damn I would like to do a multiplayer session with this game), same for Defender I + II. I don´t know about Sinistar (never played the arcade), but Robotron is also a good conversion. The four fire buttons are used to emulate the second stick of the arcade to fire in any direction independant of where you look. Nothing wrong with that.

Sure the screen is bad - really bad! I would say much worse than the gameboy´s screen and it takes ages to find the right lighting position for the action games, but it works and then at least I really have fun with the system. I hope to receive my pocket pro with light soon and I really hope this will make things better (never have seen one in use, yet). When I play the games in the emulator they look nice in general, but music plays slower than on the real machine, as it is the case in the youtube videos, too, what makes them appear worse than they are.

I don´t say that the game.com titles (beside Batman and Robin and maybe RE2) are outstanding (even for their time they are not), nor do I claim it is a must-have-system, but it is far from being unplayable and doesn´t deserve the bashing everywhere. I would say it was just the wrong time. The price was too low so they couldn´t put a decent screen in.

I really hope that Atari_Falcon's post is genuine. It's always nice to see a system get some love - especially if it's something a little different... :)

Good for you, bloke!

It also means that all of Tiger's and the game developers' hardware wasn't all for nothing...

Geek Confession ™: My 'crappy console that I like' would have to be my beloved Pokemon Mini. Everyone laughs at me for that thing but I love it!

Agreed :)

Maybe I love the system because it is an underdog and nobody else does...

The marketing of the system was even worse than Atari´s marketing and that means a lot!

I also hate some things about the system:

- Indy 500. This game is the worst racing game I ever played. It´s exactly like playing an old standalone handheld from the early 80s. It´s ridicolous to pay for that one! And fraud to sell this as a game ;)

- Calendar without the possibility to enter events... back then I found a "nice" workaround for that: I just used the phone book as a time planner... you could easily write the date at first and then the subject. In the text area you then could write all about that event, e.g. "meeting with friends at my home..." and the game.com sorts it in the right order.

- the screen (but it works if you find the one fitting lighting position... really... ;) )

- the "music" (exept Batman and Robin and some others)

I just wrote that long post as I recently found my game.com at the attick and now due to emulator you find decent videos on youtube (beside the music what sounds "better" and faster on a real game.com) and I had so much fun that I orderred a backlight version ;)

Good for you, bloke!

Geek Confession ™: My 'crappy console that I like' would have to be my beloved Pokemon Mini. Everyone laughs at me for that thing but I love it!

PokemonMini.jpg

I love my Pokemon mini