IGNORED

Tiger game.com

I think that the processor being underclocked to 4 Mhz from 10 Mhz hurts the Game.com. It seem the games were intended to run at 10Mhz than 4Mhz.

Had that been the case, surely most of the games would have been much more playable (and even more enjoyable as a result). It's a shame how it actually turned out, because Tiger had excellent licenses.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Decided to bump this thread because I saw something interesting I found on eBay.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2522142217131?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=252214221713&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

You can link your game.com to your computer to look at the game.com web site with this thing. This is separate from the modem cart. I didn't even know it existed. but I'm not paying $37 for a literally useless item.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

If anyone is actually looking for a Game.Com system, I'm selling mine. It comes with all 20 of the games (including WOF2) and the system works, but has lots of lines running through the display.

Here's the link to the Marketplace if you're in the market.

Cheers,

Smeg

By the way, has anyone here had issues with the screen developing lines? My Game.Com has multiple horizontal lines and one vertical line. (You can see the pics in the Marketplace advert linked above.) Any clue what would've caused that?

If you're a complete Game.com collector I figure you have to have the web link. However, that is perhaps the dumbest 1st party device ever made. Why would I connect a device to a PC to get on the internet, when I already have a PC??? HA ha ha.

I think the seller has bad infos. The Game.Com web link was used to link your consoel to the phone line; if I recall right what I read about this device. I don't think any device was ever made to connect the Game.Com and a PC.

It's only slightly less ridiculous, given that the Game.com had no real PDA function.

But it's what Tiger tried to suggest it was, so this was in line with their advertizing.

I vaguely remember using mine to call the local library's computer system to search and reserve books.

I may have also dialed into my ISP account to receive email and there may have even been dedicated sites for it but I can't really remember.

It was so primitive it reminded me of Compuserve's Vidtex software from 1980.

I did buy the game.com when it first came out for around $100.00. I remember getting in my car and trying it out and it had lines all over the screen, so I went back into KB Toys and exchanged it. Tried that one in the store and the d-pad was bad so I got my money back.

About a year later I bought one on clearance for $10.00. It was an interesting gadget but the slow laggy screen made it useless.

Another strange system from around the same time was the Cybiko Xtreme. Those things were amazing and I still play around with them every so often.

Too bad the homebrew scene died as there were a number of games such as Defender and Asteroids which showed some incredible talent.

I think the seller has bad infos. The Game.Com web link was used to link your consoel to the phone line; if I recall right what I read about this device. I don't think any device was ever made to connect the Game.Com and a PC.

It's only slightly less ridiculous, given that the Game.com had no real PDA function.

But it's what Tiger tried to suggest it was, so this was in line with their advertizing.

Tiger%20Web%20Link_zpsvlzwp4bw.jpg

game.com to PC cable enclosed

Edited by high voltage

Figured I would chime in to this thread. Had one of these back when I was a kid, and to be honest I loved it. Then again I was a kid so I wasn't too discerning, but it was a lot of fun. I remember the only games I had were the Lights Out one and the Batman game. Still I managed to pour hours into the system somehow, and I spent even more hours looking at the little catalogue of games that came with it and imagining how awesome it would be to play them. I never got the chance really, but someday I'd like to add the Game.Com to my collection again, just for the memories.

I know a lot of people in this thread are (I feel) unreasonably hard on the machine, at least if nothing else it is a part of the collective gaming history. One reply I saw in this thread mentioned that the Game.Coms should simply be destroyed. I find this particularly onerous as we simply shouldn't pick and choose what history is preserved, all history should be preserved. Alas, I digress. I enjoyed this once upon a time, and while I'm sure if I tried it today I would see its flaws I still wouldn't mind adding it to my shelf.

Figured I would chime in to this thread. Had one of these back when I was a kid, and to be honest I loved it. Then again I was a kid so I wasn't too discerning, but it was a lot of fun. I remember the only games I had were the Lights Out one and the Batman game. Still I managed to pour hours into the system somehow, and I spent even more hours looking at the little catalogue of games that came with it and imagining how awesome it would be to play them. I never got the chance really, but someday I'd like to add the Game.Com to my collection again, just for the memories.

I know a lot of people in this thread are (I feel) unreasonably hard on the machine, at least if nothing else it is a part of the collective gaming history. One reply I saw in this thread mentioned that the Game.Coms should simply be destroyed. I find this particularly onerous as we simply shouldn't pick and choose what history is preserved, all history should be preserved. Alas, I digress. I enjoyed this once upon a time, and while I'm sure if I tried it today I would see its flaws I still wouldn't mind adding it to my shelf.

To be fair, all vintage handhelds are all but unusable today without screen mods. Back then, we didn't mind so much. With that said, the Game.com screen was pretty dreadful even then.

As for your comment about not destroying it, of course. It pains me when any working vintage technology gets destroyed and (at least hopefully) recycled.

I bought a Game.Com Pocket Pro a few years ago with Fighters Megamix. I thought the system itself was interesting and ahead of its time in some ways, but that screen was awful. The game wasn't too hot either. While it may have been a great title on the Saturn, this port was not. There was absolutely zero strategy. You can beat the game simply by backing your opponent to one side of the screen and mashing the kick button. Well, even if it did have good combat, its not like I would have been able to see anything anyways.

I know a lot of people in this thread are (I feel) unreasonably hard on the machine

Some of us in this thread have also played more than two games on the system. :P

But yes, I agree that it's not cool to be intentionally trashing (literally, like.. throwing away) vintage hardware. The Game.Com may not be a good system, but it's still a piece of gaming history.

• 2 years later...

Neat little instant collection there. There's only a few pieces im missing, like the modem (ha) though I do have, and have used, the internet cart. And the last game, can't remember if that was centipede or frogger, but I missed that one. I hear it was a good game too, something about being one of the few (or maybe only) games NOT actually made in house by tiger.

I am a weirdo in that I actually liked the system and many of the games, but that screen, my God that screen. What's with most games running at 4fps? (I'm probably exaggerating, but it is damn slow, and still breaks up even at that speed) I know the technical reason for the slow refresh, at absolute best, it could only hope for 12-15fps, due to how the screen draws shades, but idk if the hardware can handle that.

Is there any homebrew for the game.com? I'd like something that works on a real machine, and pushes the hardware to its limits. I've been working on getting all the existing games working in MAME (done as at the next release), but need more examples to flush out any remaining bugs.

The only thing I saw was someone's Hello World, but the rom was never released.

Sorry to necropost but if you want a complete collection including Wheel of Fortune 2, then you might want to bid on this:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1835227420751?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=183522742075&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Anyone know what cases are being used for the games in that auction? I've been searching for some way to store my Game.com carts, but I've yet to find something that works.