IGNORED

Should I sell Ms. Pac-Man arcade hack?

Jr. Pac

59 members have voted

1. 1. Should I sell my Ms. Pac-Man Arcade hack?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I still can't find that feature! How do I get to it? File? Edit? View?

You probably click on Find under the Edit menu, then click on the Advanced tab and select the thing you want to search for. The link below tells you what things like COLUBK and COLUP0 stand for:

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#colors

You probably click on Find under the Edit menu, then click on the Advanced tab and select the thing you want to search for. The link below tells you what things like COLUBK and COLUP0 stand for:

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#colors

I'm too confused. :?

Ummm.... why is there talk like this hack is going to be made now? Why is there talk like AA will carry it?

I thought Jr decided that AA wouldn't carry it is he decided to sell it and that no one cared about this hack to begin with.

Being nice to the kid because he is 10 has back fired. Everyone wanted to be a little more supportive because he is 10 and now you have him thinking you actually want to buy his hack. Check the poll, no one cares.

Al will make any cart you want for $20 (I think $20 is right). He won't carry it in the store. He will just make it and apparently drop ship it for the kid if somebody buys it out of his marketplace thread.

Ummm.... why is there talk like this hack is going to be made now? Why is there talk like AA will carry it?

I thought Jr decided that AA wouldn't carry it is he decided to sell it and that no one cared about this hack to begin with.

Being nice to the kid because he is 10 has back fired. Everyone wanted to be a little more supportive because he is 10 and now you have him thinking you actually want to buy his hack. Check the poll, no one cares.

Al will make any cart you want for $20 (I think $20 is right). He won't carry it in the store. He will just make it and apparently drop ship it for the kid if somebody buys it out of his marketplace thread.

I''m not too sure how that works... my gut tells me that Al will want money up front, ship jr pac a completed order and that jr pac would be wholly responsible for selling and distributing, so as to shield AA from liability. The carts in Al's store have (I presume) been legally licensed to him, so he takes care of everything and takes a cut of the earnings. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I''m not too sure how that works... my gut tells me that Al will want money up front, ship jr pac a completed order and that jr pac would be wholly responsible for selling and distributing, so as to shield AA from liability. The carts in Al's store have (I presume) been legally licensed to him, so he takes care of everything and takes a cut of the earnings. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

This is how it works. The buyer pays me $25+shipping via PayPal. I pay Al $20 plus shipping to make the cart and Al sends straight it to your address. That good?

Edited by Jr. Pac

The carts in Al's store have (I presume) been legally licensed to him

It would be difficult (if not impossible) to get actual legal clearance for the original titles that hacks are created from. Because nobody has such an agreement "on paper", this has led to feuds in the past - most notably concerning the region conversion hacks. Even tho the current controller(s) of the copyrights in question might be aware of said hacks (and they are).

This is how it works. The buyer pays me $25+shipping via PayPal. I pay Al $20 plus shipping to make the cart and Al sends straight it to your address. That good?

Overly complicated (and potentially putting AA in a corner if either of the other two parties don't carry their side of the deal). $ -> store...cart goes to buyer and a cookie gets sent to creator. He's always been square-dealin' for as long as the site has been around (tho that could change if a cart had a million-dollar markup, or something!) :lol:

Go on...take the money and runnnn

About which part? Does this help:

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-tutorial-andrew-davie-04.html#registers

About which part? Does this help:

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-tutorial-andrew-davie-04.html#registers

Aha, the troll would like to stay anonymous. :roll:

I don't know how exactly to change colors in Hack-O-Matic 3. I keep changing numbers that have NOTHING to do with color, and every hex value that comes up when I search is 85. :? I don't even have an EPROM programmer...

How bout this. I will send you a check for $40 + shipping. Then you send $20 + shipping to Al, $10 back to me, and keep $10 for yourself. Sound good? You'll make twice as much that way.

Sure! :P

How bout this. I will send you a check for $40 + shipping. Then you send $20 + shipping to Al, $10 back to me, and keep $10 for yourself. Sound good? You'll make twice as much that way.

Have you ever done Western Union? It's better than PayPal, no fees.

Have you ever done Western Union? It's better than PayPal, no fees.

Never heard of it. I'll stick to PayPal, though. Thanks anyways.

I don't know how exactly to change colors in Hack-O-Matic 3. I keep changing numbers that have NOTHING to do with color, and every hex value that comes up when I search is 85. :? I don't even have an EPROM programmer...

You could start by looking for stuff that was done already ;) Debro's got an almost-complete reverse-engineered source code posted someplace on [stella]. Dunno if that would confuse you further, tho. I'd suggest looking at Rob's listing for Pac-Man Arcade (i.e. Pac26)...since the addresses shown in the text file are basically how you'd see them in something like Hack-O-Matic.

Just download the December 1999 file linked here. (wow...has it been that long?)

The text file in there points right at where you find colors, etc.

I don't know how exactly to change colors in Hack-O-Matic 3. I keep changing numbers that have NOTHING to do with color, and every hex value that comes up when I search is 85.

It might be easier to do it with Stella. Check out this post:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/13124-mspacman-with-black-background/page__p__2282581#entry2282581

If you've hacked before, go ahead and skip these instructions:

1) Launch Ms. Pac in Stella.

2) Press ` (left of the '1' key) to activate the debugger.

3) At the prompt enter "trapwrite COLUBK"

4) Press ` to run the program until the debugger stops it.

5) Look for the following code on the right. You may need to press ` more than once [and you may need to scroll up].

LDA #$90

BIT $94

BPL LF0F0

LDA #$00

STA COLUBK

6) On the far right next to "LDA #$90" You'll see "A9 90" and 90 means blue. Change it to 00 for black [or whatever color you want, then press the Enter key].

7) Enter "saverom mspacblackbg.bin" (or any filename you like)

8 ) Done! 8)

That's for changing the background color. You'd change "trapwrite COLUBK" to "trapwrite COLUP0" or whatever you need for changing other colors:

Edited by Random Terrain

And to those moderators who voted no, I am NOT selling these in the store.

bump :|

BUMP!

bump.

bump.

Really...stop.

bump.

Really...stop.

Stop what?

BUMP: Have you settled on a manufacturer yet?

Thanks for the bump. AA will be making them, once the store is open.

PREORDER READY!!!! HERE!

ie2vg.gif

Edited by rmaerz
  • Like 4

I don't know if I can handle this thread anymore. I'm thinking I'll call troll on this one and move on. Lets look at the evidence:

Asks for opinions but refuses to use them at all.

Bumps his own thread non-stop to keep this thread, which has clearly backfired, alive for some reason.

Says he isn't selling, then changes his mind even in the face of all the legal and logistic problems.

My understanding is that Al hasn't been around much as he gotten very busy with real life so how is he committing to making these?

If Al is making carts for this kid I would like to pay him for my copy of Halo 2600 that has been in the works since February 15th.

There isn't much chance this is really happening. Hell, if Al will just make any cart you want for $20 and you want one why not take the code the kid uploaded, send it to Al and cut out the middle man? I know it might be a dick move, but so is stealing code to make $5 on every cart sold. I might be wrong here, but it seems to me that this is all very crappy.

Hell, if its only $20 there are a few games I would like to have repros of... this information can't be correct. Then again now that I have a Harmony cart coming to me why pay for a repro cart? I'll be looking into this $20 any cart thing.

• Like 3