IGNORED

Forum Upgrade to 3.2

Albert

Looks a little screwy right now, and I can't figure out how to update my status, but I trust Al more than I trust Facebook...

There are several ways to update your status. Check this post out:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/187933-forum-upgrade-to-32/page__view__findpost__p__2374177

I do agree that the status sidebar box needs a text field so you can update your status. I have no idea who's genius idea it was to remove that. I'll look into adding it back in.

..Al

• Like 1

Looks a little screwy right now, and I can't figure out how to update my status, but I trust Al more than I trust Facebook...

There are several ways to update your status. Check this post out:

http://www.atariage....ost__p__2374177

I do agree that the status sidebar box needs a text field so you can update your status. I have no idea who's genius idea it was to remove that. I'll look into adding it back in.

..Al

See, this is why I trust Al more than Facebook. We make useful suggestions, he actually takes our needs under consideration, and then works to provide a solution to the problem. :D Three cheers for Al!

Al, when I go to the AA webpage it is fine, then I click on forums and the header loads with the tabs 'atariage, forums, members, subs, maps.... etc. But that is as far as it goes. It either tells me in the bottom left hand side of the browser that there was an error loading the page, or I get taken to a new screen with the previously mentioned error message.

I guess others could be having the same problem? - Is anyone else viewing this with IE8??

Can you take a screenshot of what you're seeing? That's an interesting issue. I haven't tried the forum in IE8 (or IE9) but it should work fine in either browser. I'm not sure I can install either browser in Windows XP, which is the latest version of Windows I have handy. If anyone wants to donate AtariAge a copy of Windows 7 (I primarily use Mac OS X), I'll gladly take it off your hands..

..Al

Ha... I can take a screenshot but I won't be able to get in and post it, or I could take a mobile phone photo but last time I checked mobile uploads were disabled.

I was able to get IE8 onto windows xp2000, but IE9 is not possible.

Ha... I can take a screenshot but I won't be able to get in and post it, or I could take a mobile phone photo but last time I checked mobile uploads were disabled.

You can use Tapatalk to upload a photo, I've done that with my iPhone:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tapatalk-forum-app/id307880732?mt=8

It's a nice app, although it still has some problems since they don't have Sphinx support yet. Sphinx is the search engine the forum uses under the hood. They promise to have that working soon, though.

I was able to get IE8 onto windows xp2000, but IE9 is not possible.

Alright, I'll have to try it out on IE8. I imagine it's working for most people, though, or I surely would have heard about it from more people!

..Al

"Content I Follow" is supposed to just show you threads that you are following (subscribed to). When I just took a look at it, I was surprised to see quite a few topics I hadn't subscribed to.

Wait.. wait. does "subscribing" to a thread mean you posted in it?

Because that's how the "Content I follow" link works right now.. it shows every thread that I've replied to, and sorted by ones with the most recent replies. In other words, it's exactly how the "My Content" link should work

Right now the "My Content" link is mostly useless.. I don't know if it's just me. But it only shows a whole bunch of old threads as we discussed before. Maybe the update will fix it, but I hope if it doesn't that it doesn't break the "content I follow" link as well. :P

Wait.. wait. does "subscribing" to a thread mean you posted in it?

No, subscribing to a thread is one you have explicitly clicked the "Follow this" button at the top of a forum thread. You can also set you preferences so you are automatically subscribed to threads you reply to and start.

Because that's how the "Content I follow" link works right now.. it shows every thread that I've replied to, and sorted by ones with the most recent replies. In other words, it's exactly how the "My Content" link should work

Right now the "My Content" link is mostly useless.. I don't know if it's just me. But it only shows a whole bunch of old threads as we discussed before. Maybe the update will fix it, but I hope if it doesn't that it doesn't break the "content I follow" link as well. :P

Yes, the default "My Content" view is broken right now, and it is fixed in the next software revision which should be out in a few days (Invision is already running it on their site, and they usually release new versions only a few days after they've been testing it). It will also fix the "Content I Follow" link, which is also broken right now. "Content I Follow" is presently showing you all threads you are subscribed to as WELL AS any threads in forums you are subscribed to. Not terribly useful.

..Al

Interesting.. man I must be totally clueless about these advanced forum options. :( Can I ask what "following a thread" does vs. just replying to it? Or rather what's the difference?

"Content I Follow" is presently showing you all threads you are subscribed to as WELL AS any threads in forums you are subscribed to. Not terribly useful.

You meant "showing all threads you are subscribed to as well as threads you've replied to" right? I gotcha.. but just checking. Still though.. oddly enough it's working right now exactly the way I like it. :P

Edited by NE146

Interesting.. man I must be totally clueless about these advanced forum options. :( Can I ask what "following a thread" does vs. just replying to it? Or rather what's the difference?

Following a thread just means you want to be notified when there is a response. You can set all your notification options here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core&area=notifications

You meant "showing all threads you are subscribed to as well as threads you've replied to" right? I gotcha.. but just checking. Still though.. oddly enough it's working right now exactly the way I like it. :P

No, I believe it's showing any threads you are following (used to be called "Subscribed to") as well as any threads in any Forums you are following. It's only supposed to show threads you are following. This has no relation to threads you may have scribed to. That's a separate option in the "New Content" page, "Topics I participated in", which is very useful.

..Al

Interesting.. there are a ton of options for notifications. I think you mentioned earlier that forum software is getting more and more complicated and you sir are right. :lol:

Maybe I'm old school (who am I kidding, I'm a regular on an Atari forum :P) The only functions I've ever done, and still do is pretty much:

1. View new threads (which is how I've always seen if there were any replies in threads I was interested in, but didn't reply to); and

2. View my posts.. which of course views all threads I posted in.

Once those two are covered I think that's 99% of what people do in web forums. But oddly they seem to be the common broken parts of this and the previous upgrade. Maybe they're paying too much attention to the fluff? :)

Interesting.. there are a ton of options for notifications. I think you mentioned earlier that forum software is getting more and more complicated and you sir are right. :lol:

Maybe I'm old school (who am I kidding, I'm a regular on an Atari forum :P) The only functions I've ever done, and still do is pretty much:

1. View new threads (which is how I've always seen if there were any replies in threads I was interested in, but didn't reply to); and

2. View my posts.. which of course views all threads I posted in.

Once those two are covered I think that's 99% of what people do in web forums. But oddly they seem to be the common broken parts of this and the previous upgrade. Maybe they're paying too much attention to the fluff? :)

Both of these features seem to work properly. I haven't seen any problems with the normal "View New Content' results, which is what i use 90% of the time to keep up on threads. Then I use the "Topics I participated in" to see if there have been new responses in threads I've posted in (or started). That also seems to work fine. The ones I know are broken are "My Content -> Topics and Posts" and "View New Content -> Just items I follow".

As for Invision focusing on fluff, well, they did try to make this version of the software "cleaner" overall. The skin is certainly cleaner than before (more white space, less clutter overall), and they did reorganize various areas. One in particular is the entire "View New Content" / "My Content" and regular search results into one similar page that lets you quickly filter/sort/change the results. I think they did a nice job with that, barring the bugs. It's probably one of the most complex areas of the software given the flexibility it offers users in refining/changing the results. But being able to find content you're interested in is arguably one of the most important facets of forum software, especially when there are nearly 2.5 million posts as there are here.

There's a lot of competition in the forum software space, and newcomers like XenForo have pushed Invision to "innovate" more than they might otherwise have. And "innovate" isn't always a good thing, but I think overall they are headed in the right direction.

..Al

Maybe they're paying too much attention to the fluff? :)

There's no doubt about that. And I'd still like to know how supposedly intelligent, educated people could think two or three clicks are better than one. It's not just web designers, it's game designers, people who make DVDs, and so on. It seems concepts such as 'instant response,' 'user-friendly,' and 'form follows function' weren't part of their edumacations. Stupid smart people piss me off.

• Like 1

One thing I noticed, is that the emoticons are missing in posts. I just see a question mark icon instead.

Can you point to a specific thread where you're seeing this? I just did a quick look and can see them on my end, at least in each of several random threads I just looked at. For instance,

http://www.atariage....day-tournament/

Scroll down and you'll see a whole slew of emoticons being used.

Thanks,

..Al

Hi, first of all sorry for the slow response. OK. Here's a screenshot taken on my IPAD this morning. I see the question mark icons, in all posts that have emoticons.

post-16219-0-45779400-1316762268_thumb.png

Both of these features seem to work properly. I haven't seen any problems with the normal "View New Content' results, which is what i use 90% of the time to keep up on threads. Then I use the "Topics I participated in" to see if there have been new responses in threads I've posted in (or started). That also seems to work fine.

Ooh.. where is this "Topics I participated in" link? I don't see it anywhere

<edit> Never mind.. found it. It's like on the bottom left after clicking on new topics.

Edited by NE146

The text in the "Edit Signature" part of the profile settings goes against the AA rules :-

"Your signature may contain:

• Any number images
  • Images of any size
  • Any number of URLs
  • Any number of lines

Well that's odd, it should not allow you to add images (and should say that you can add 0 images). I was able to reproduce this and I've filed a bug against it.

..Al

- Emoticons don't work when you look at your profile's "About Me" section. They do work in it's HTML editor however.

I was able to reproduce this and filed a bug. However, I'm not sure you are supposed to be able to use emoticons. If you notice in the HTML editor, the emoticon icon is removed. However, if you toggle HTML mode on and off in the editor it will show the emoticons. I'll let Invision sort it out one way or the other.

Profile comments seem to have been rolled into status updates.

Yes, they felt it was redundant to have both, so they merged the two together. The status updates make more sense in my opinion, especially since users can respond to individual status updates.

..Al