IGNORED

Forum Upgrade to 3.2

Albert

Where'd the "the time is now 10:17pm" thing at the bottom of the screen go?

The time being at it.

I've installed the new AtariAge skin as the default. Still have a bunch of things to fix, but it seems to work fine overall. Please feel free to point out any problems and I'll fix them ASAP.

I see that you got rid of link underlines and I wanted to remind you to also make them bold. I also wanted to remind you about doing the same for post previews, signatures, profile pages, and blogs.

Thanks.

Edited by Random Terrain

I've installed the new AtariAge skin as the default. Still have a bunch of things to fix, but it seems to work fine overall. Please feel free to point out any problems and I'll fix them ASAP.

Thanks,

..Al

Nice one Al!

(I also went back and checked it on windows xp 2000 with IE8 and it worked also.)

Can you please put a search field at the bottom of each forum,so that if we want to search for something say in Auction Central then it all you need to do is go to the bottom of the page and enter what you are looking for and it will only search in Auction Central.

I have seen it on many forums so it is possible and would make searching so much more easy.

Edited by pangasinan

Where'd the "the time is now 10:17pm" thing at the bottom of the screen go?

It would seem they removed it! Guess they felt that people have access to the time pretty much everywhere and that there wasn't a reason to display it on the webpage (in OS X it's always in the upper-right corner of the screen). The most useful reason to have it at the bottom is if the forum time is different than yours (if you don't have your time zone setup properly here).

..Al

I see that you got rid of link underlines and I wanted to remind you to also make them bold. I also wanted to remind you about doing the same for post previews, signatures, profile pages, and blogs.

I am not going to make all links bold, but I will eliminate underlines in other areas, that's on my list.

..Al

Can you please put a search field at the bottom of each forum,so that if we want to search for something say in Auction Central then it all you need to do is go to the bottom of the page and enter what you are looking for and it will only search in Auction Central.

I have seen it on many forums so it is possible and would make searching so much more easy.

While viewing a forum, the search near the top of the page defaults to searching just the current forum you're viewing. You can click on the blue "This forum" text to display a list of areas you can search. While viewing a thread, you can search just that thread, the forum you're visiting, or in the forums globally.

forum_search.png

..Al

While viewing a forum, the search near the top of the page defaults to searching just the current forum you're viewing. You can click on the blue "This forum" text to display a list of areas you can search. While viewing a thread, you can search just that thread, the forum you're visiting, or in the forums globally.

post-3-0-40075200-1317565188_thumb.png

..Al

Nice...thanks

On my second screen that is lower res than the larger one, I noticed the page seems broken, the links along the top (Tracker link is out of place, next to Calendar near the search bar).

Not complaining, just noticing, so if anyone has the same issue, raise your resolution up some.

Can you tell me what resolution the monitor is? 800x600? The forum is generally designed for a minimum window width of about 980 or so pixels, and I could probably tweak to work with slightly narrower resolutions. The menu is the biggest problem and one that Invision really hasn't addressed very well as they keep adding applications (not to mention third-party apps, like the Content "Spy" tab). This is something I will need to work on, as there will be some additional "Applications" as well (such as a Downloads app).

..Al

Any chance of also dropping the forum font text size by a point or two? At the zoom I currently use the text on the main site is perfect, but seems a little larger (or larger than previous) on the new forum skin.

What browser are you using?

Firefox 3.6.23 here. Haven't moved onto the later one just yet...

• Like 1

On the recent status updates is it possible to change it so when someone clicks "view comments" it shows all of them rather than a portion of them. I know you can click "show all", but I feel like thats an unnecessary step..

But clicking more times than you need to is more fun. Just like the notifications at the top of each page. If it tells you that you have a new PM message, it could easily send you to the latest post, but it's more fun to go to the first page, then click the last page button, then scroll all the way down to the bottom. I don't know about you, but I have a joygasm every time I have to do extra clicking and scrolling for no good reason. Wheeeeee!

But clicking more times than you need to is more fun. Just like the notifications at the top of each page. If it tells you that you have a new PM message, it could easily send you to the latest post, but it's more fun to go to the first page, then click the last page button, then scroll all the way down to the bottom. I don't know about you, but I have a joygasm every time I have to do extra clicking and scrolling for no good reason. Wheeeeee!

The behavior with the PM notification menu has been fixed in 3.2.3 so it goes to the first unread post.

The continuing, thick sarcasm isn't hugely appreciated.

..Al

• Like 1

The behavior with the PM notification menu has been fixed in 3.2.3 so it goes to the first unread post.

The continuing, thick sarcasm isn't hugely appreciated.

Invision's continuing promises to fix things they didn't have to break or change or remove in the first place isn't appreciated. It's the same pattern every time. They change things for the worse or remove useful features or just break things out of pure ineptitude, then promise to make everything better next time. Invision is like a wife beater who promises he won't do it anymore if you'll take him back one more time, then he's back to his old ways before long. Promises, promises, promises.

• Like 1

Invision's continuing promises to fix things they didn't have to break or change or remove in the first place isn't appreciated. It's the same pattern every time. They change things for the worse or remove useful features or just break things out of pure ineptitude, then promise to make everything better next time. Invision is like a wife beater who promises he won't do it anymore if you'll take him back one more time, then he's back to his old ways before long. Promises, promises, promises.

Not everything Invision does is roses, but they did make quite a few improvements in version 3.2 of the software over the 3.1.x series. is it perfect? No. Did they take some steps backwards in a few areas? Yes. Some of these will be corrected in 3.2.3 (we're running 3.2.2), some I can fix myself, and others we'll just have to live with. This is pretty much the case with every major forum upgrade.

..Al

• Like 1

Like the new look. The only thing I'm still on the fence about is the showing of popular sections of each part of the forum. Such as the HSC showing under the main page title of Atari 2600. I don't know if it's really needed. Sure, it reduces a step I suppose, but it's not like it was a big problem to just go in there and click on one more thing. Looks a little more jumbled overall than it needs to be, but it's not like it works bad. Look is good.

Quick reply did not work for me just now. Had to click "more reply options". So far, I'm not liking the upgrade at all... there seems to be either features missing, or changed where I haven't found them yet.

Biggest issue in my opinion is the attachments icon that you can click to view all attachments in the thread... is that missing? I'm not seeing it anywhere.

I am not going to make all links bold, but I will eliminate underlines in other areas, that's on my list.

I was just thinking about this. In case I wasn't clear, I was talking about links posted by AtariAge members in posts, post previews, PMs, profile 'about me' pages, blogs, and signatures.

Underlining is there to tell people that something is a link. If you remove the underling, you have to make it bold so it will stand out as a link. The blue color alone isn't enough of an indicator that they are looking at a link since half the time you can't tell it's blue unless it is bold anyway.

Edited by Random Terrain