IGNORED

Wich one of these two Prince of Persia you prefer?

José Pereira

Sprites and colours&luminances (can be others) apart, what of these two Rocks type you think look better designed/better looking:  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Sprites and colours&luminances apart(can be others), what of these two Rocks type you think look better designed/better looking:

• PC original looking
    • C64 remake looking

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Good to see that the project is on track... Keep it up! :)

Hey man, good to see you are still visiting this place :)

Btw. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember that you said you would give source code to public ? So any chance of you providing us some resource files from your c64 version (sprites or background in some organized form) or should we just try to rip them from crt image ?

A8 is a strange beast and would help a lot if we could batch-script graphics conversion into a8 suitable format instead of Jose hand-pixeling every frame ;)

I've never said that I'm gonna release the source code. As you can see on my blog, I'm releasing snippets, and I will definitely release the disassembled Apple II code. That should be enough to make another version, the C64-specific things are not what you need.

As for the sprites, STE'86 has released them all years ago. I only did some minor fixes to them (some frames were shifted by a pixel to the left or right, etc.). The backgrounds I've posted here already.

Edited by mrsid
  • Like 1

I've never said that I'm gonna release the source code. As you can see on my blog, I'm releasing snippets, and I will definitely release the disassembled Apple II code.

That is what I meant (apple II code), wouldn't have any use of C64 specific code :)

Disassembled code with few labels is more than fine, just so we don't have to collect piece by piece from your blog.

As for the sprites, STE'86 has released them all years ago. I only did some minor fixes to them (some frames were shifted by a pixel to the left or right, etc.). The backgrounds I've posted here already.

Didn't know you used those, thanks!

Ok. Source can wait.. Lot of work to be done on graphics till then.

The Amiga version looks and sounds better than the ST.

The echo effects especially add to the overall "dungeon" atmosphere of the game, something that's not replicated in most other versions.

That said though, the ST sound/music far exceeds what you'd normally expect from the YM chip. They could have taken the lazy route and ended up with essentially the same sounds as the Amstrad version, so the product that did come out is to be commended in that regard.

The Amiga intro music sounds eerily like the poly sounds we can get on Atari, in fact with some effort the Atari could have a similar music intro.

Edited by Rybags

;)

Btw: Prince of Persia is also this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTSn4gFsUxc

We're not limited to a boring fully 2D game, we could use always the better "view" , to enhance gameplay.

Some scenes in 2D some scenes in 3D...

But that is a whole new game with the environments designed to work in conjunction with the 3D viewpoint - bolting that on to the original PoP levels would just be a disaster basically.

Not sure where's the desaster happening,when the A8 is able to render scenes as in Project-M with up to 20 fps.

Some sequences like the side jump on the walls will simply be done, without yelling for air by the CPU. Real 3D parallax effect included, working on a stock 64K machine. Due to the very low need of DLIs, you can load leveldata on the fly...

The funny things are: You can use the A8 as it's best. Gr. 9 with some PM overlay offers linear handling and you never get over the limits of the PM.

But you get a game "of today" just at a lower resolution.

so you're suggesting that an 8-bit CPU can do all the required 3D rendering with the required degrees of freedom (raycasting engines are constrained to allow optimisation), work out any PM object placement and somehow still find time to run a game loop, giving a playable game at the end of it?

I'd like to see the numbers to back that one up...

Project M isn't exactly pushed beside the casting/rendering.

Saying that this game, in most ways more complex than Wolf3D can be done and maintain the same FPS - isn't going to happen.

Equally, doing it in 64K from disk is extremely unlikely.

But, a 3D PoP-like game is a good idea. It'd be an interesting deviation to have the original game concept done as an FPS, but it's a totally different project to C64 PoP, practically none of the resources from any other version would be useful - it'd be a totally ground-up project.

Simple as that. What never changes is the PM usage for the protagonist. Jump & Run can be done in full "Project-M" environment.

Fighting against enemies, why not changing the resolution on the fly , and make them 2D or Iso 3D ?

Walking through dungeons, see my proposals above (Ego view)

The other problem is gameplay - if such a 3D game isn't done right, all you end up with is yet another crappy "monster maze" type game.

This is the problem of every game ;)

I can only link to examples. Look at the guy on space harrier. Now change the "flying" to jumping. Put him into the 3D scene of Project-M... jump from the left wall to the right...

The hardware speed is given. Project-M is already a small game, having about 10k free on a 64K machine.

I think the game is doable on a 64k machine in the way I illustrated. Levels would come from disk.

BTW: Contrary to think about a 3D version, which seems even more distant than a classic one, I thought about opening the borders and let the whole thing scroll - which would not only enrich the game, but also an advantage to other versions.

Maybe I provide some demonstration code later (for sure not in this polluted, eye burning named thread).

BTW: mrsid, nice demonstration here that development 'behind the curtain' is more sound - like you did...

I think the game is doable on a 64k machine in the way I illustrated. Levels would come from disk.

BTW: Contrary to think about a 3D version, which seems even more distant than a classic one, I thought about opening the borders and let the whole thing scroll - which would not only enrich the game, but also an advantage to other versions.

Maybe I provide some demonstration code later (for sure not in this polluted, eye burning named thread).

BTW: mrsid, nice demonstration here that development 'behind the curtain' is more sound - like you did...

It seems the biggest task, to get the Atari-community to that what the Atari can do best ;)

Edited by emkay

That might work... Might not - but I reckon it's worth a try to find out.