IGNORED

New Game Announcement

ha ha. very funny dude. My girlfriend works hard for her money. You are the one just repackaging games. Do you really lack the creativity to create new games? You should be ashamed of yourself. You are a dis-service to the community.

Play nice, please. As someone who originally felt like you, I urge you to reconsider. We're all in this community for fun.

Carl is offering the fixed version in cart only for those who missed the previous one. Typically, first releases are big productions with boxes and manuals, but re-releases are done in cartridge only to save costs.

If you bought the previous one, "Donkey Kong Arcade," you can get David Harley to reprogram the cart for you and you'll have the fixed version too.

D2K is not only an enhanced version, it is a sequel. It may use some of the original assets, but puts it all together in a new way. As a bonus, it includes the fixed version of DK Arcade, so if you didn't buy the first one, you'll get both for the price of one. You don't have to buy it if you don't want it, but you should reserve criticisms until you at least play it.

I know I would not like to feel threatened if I ever decide to release "Christmas Carol 2" (which is planned, by the way).

-dZ.

Play nice, please. As someone who originally felt like you, I urge you to reconsider. We're all in this community for fun.

If you bought the previous one, "Donkey Kong Arcade," you can get David Harley to reprogram the cart for you and you'll have the fixed version too.

D2K is not only an enhanced version, it is a sequel. It may use some of the original assets, but puts it all together in a new way. As a bonus, it includes the fixed version of DK Arcade, so if you didn't buy the first one, you'll get both for the price of one. You don't have to buy it if you don't want it, but you should reserve criticisms until you at least play it.

I know I would not like to feel threatened if I ever decide to release "Christmas Carol 2" (which is planned, by the way).

-dZ.

I hear you dZ. Maybe you did not buy Donkey Kong Arcade. I feel ripped off. I have not heard that harley is offering to replace my cart with D1K. Is this going to be an option? If so, then all is cool. I would have the game that should've been released and then all I have to to buy is D2K.

Is D2K really a sequel or does it just have more screens but is the same game? I think of Donkey Kong Junior as a sequel.

dZ, please do NOT release a Carol 2. Hold onto your game until you are really done with it.

Weren't you working on Pac-Man? Why not make something like Pac-Man Jr, Ms. Pac-Man or Pac-Man meets Carol? Our console needs new games.

-dZ.

I hear you dZ. Maybe you did not buy Donkey Kong Arcade. I feel ripped off. I have not heard that harley is offering to replace my cart with D1K. Is this going to be an option? If so, then all is cool. I would have the game that should've been released and then all I have to to buy is D2K.

Is D2K really a sequel or does it just have more screens but is the same game? I think of Donkey Kong Junior as a sequel.

dZ, please do NOT release a Carol 2. Hold onto your game until you are really done with it.

Weren't you working on Pac-Man? Why not make something like Pac-Man Jr, Ms. Pac-Man or Pac-Man meets Carol? Our console needs new games.

I bought Donkey Kong Arcade, and I felt cheated when I read the first announcements of the "fixed" version. Then I read more comments from Carl and "Games For Your Intellivision" and understood the situation. It was just bad and confusing communication at the beginning, and not an attempt to scam anybody.

D2K is a sequel. It has more screens and some extra elements, sufficient to qualify it as a new game. Just like Ms. Pac-man is a different game from Pac-Man, even though on the surface it looks like the same yellow thing chomping dots, but with lipstick.

Regarding Christmas Carol, don't misunderstand me: it is almost done and is coming out soon. There most likely will be a Christmas Carol 2 eventually, but it will be a brand new game; it may use the same characters and theme, and re-use some of Christmas Carol's assets, but it'll have entirely new game-play and other goodies.

I also have other original games in various design stages including, yes, Pac-Man. I plan on doing this for a long while. :)

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

Of course I feel ripped off.

David Harley said he would buy back his 'Donkey Kong' release. Go talk to him.

There is no need to feel 'ripped off'.

Of course I feel ripped off. You and Carl allowed the game to get published before you even finished it. Then 6 months later, you announce you are going to sell it. I would not feel go jipped if you released your game like 2 years later but 6 months??!!!??

Harley is offering peanuts to buy back the game. Would you sell me D1K for the same amount that he is buying my cart back for?

I bought Donkey Kong Arcade, and I felt cheated when I read the first announcements of the "fixed" version. Then I read more comments from Carl and "Games For Your Intellivision" and understood the situation. It was just bad and confusing communication at the beginning, and not an attempt to scam anybody.

D2K is a sequel. It has more screens and some extra elements, sufficient to qualify it as a new game. Just like Ms. Pac-man is a different game from Pac-Man, even though on the surface it looks like the same yellow thing chomping dots, but with lipstick.

You are more understanding than I am. Donkey Kong was in development for what, like 5 year? How do you screw up at the end?

Good point on Ms. Pac Man but that was a different time when they were only making arcade machines. How many games did Mattel produce that were the same? The "pro" games came out after Mattel closed and they addressed a huge issue with the originals; one player and two player. Now that Ms. Pac-Man is available, I NEVER play Pac-Man. That isn't the same for Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Junior, I play both of them.

Instead of calling your new game Carol 2, maybe it can be something like Carol's Revenge or Carol - the end of Christmas. The number 2 implies it is the same game.

You are more understanding than I am. Donkey Kong was in development for what, like 5 year? How do you screw up at the end?

It happens. Remember, this is still a hobby to a lot of us, and a labour of love. Believe me, there are not enough Intellivision fans and collectors in the galaxy to pay the development costs of 5 years of a man's life.

Good point on Ms. Pac Man but that was a different time when they were only making arcade machines. How many games did Mattel produce that were the same? The "pro" games came out after Mattel closed and they addressed a huge issue with the originals; one player and two player. Now that Ms. Pac-Man is available, I NEVER play Pac-Man. That isn't the same for Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Junior, I play both of them.

No, it's the same it always was. Sequels are usually done re-using the original assets and game code with some changes in game-play. Sometimes it works out and you get an exciting new title, and sometimes it feels stale. All I'm saying is, do not judge D2K if you haven't played it. Carl says it's a different game, and I believe him.

By the way, I still play mostly Pac-Man, and Ms. Pac-Man only occasionally. They have different characteristics, even if they look very similar. The enemy AI is absolutely different.

Instead of calling your new game Carol 2, maybe it can be something like Carol's Revenge or Carol - the end of Christmas. The number 2 implies it is the same game.

LOL! I wasn't planning on calling it "Carol 2," that was just a short-hand for "a sequel title." In any case, it already has a title, and it's not that one. :)

Anyway, it's still too early to talk about that. I gotta finish my first game first!

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

David,

You didn't release an incomplete game. It's a full game. It has a few minor issues that apparently went unnoticed during game testing. But they are very, very minor. The Video Game Critic gave Donkey Kong Arcade an "A". If the game was incomplete, I don't think it would be deserving of that grade.

You sold 300 copies of DKA. You informed people on your website that the game had been sold out. You also told me you were closing up shop after two more releases.

That meant to me, that I was free to re-release the game, and certainly to build on it to create a sequel.

If people don't like the idea of something like "Ms. Pac-Man" or indeed, "D2K: Jumpman Returns", on which this game is based, then they don't have to buy it.

We are making it very clear what is being offered. No one who bought the original has been cheated. No one is being forced to buy any of our games.

Carl

Edited by Carl Mueller Jr

Carl, you must understand us people that need to have the latest and greatest. I will never play my Donkey Kong Arcade now that D1K and D2K are releasing, that is if I can save up enough money before you sell out. Perhaps you can't understand how I feel about having to buy the same game twice in one year. Whatever but why are you calling me David? I will just have to get over my obsession.

If you have a compulsive shopping disorder to the extent that it's ruining your interpersonal relationships, please discuss it with a licensed therapist.

Seriously? You should of called Me and Cmart out by name. We all know who you were talking about....... ;)

...J/K :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

If you have a compulsive shopping disorder to the extent that it's ruining your interpersonal relationships, please discuss it with a licensed therapist.

Seriously? You should of called Me and Cmart out by name. We all know who you were talking about....... ;)

My retrogaming collecting therapist mumbled something about 15 different variations of Donkey Kong and angrily sent me on my way! I appear to be beyond help! :D :P

My retrogaming collecting therapist mumbled something about 15 different variations of Donkey Kong and angrily sent me on my way! I appear to be beyond help! :D :P

For a guy that has so many Donkey Kong variations, you sure do suck at playing it.....LOL

For a guy that has so many Donkey Kong variations, you sure do suck at playing it.....LOL

Yah, I'm not great at it but I'm looking forward to doing the high score thing. Why don't we ask cparsley to do it as a special round once the INTV final is done?

Yah, I'm not great at it but I'm looking forward to doing the high score thing. Why don't we ask cparsley to do it as a special round once the INTV final is done?

Hey, im not the best either!

I cant wait to play the eliminator level on D2K.

Hey, im not the best either!

I cant wait to play the eliminator level on D2K.

It sounds like Carl will need to give us a special code to get to that level or we'll never make it on our own. :( :)

The two threads on this topic reminded me of King of Kong. There is something about the game that creates drama, both in arcade and home versions.

As I understand it, there are four versions:

#1 The first release

#2 What Carl has said should have been the first release, I believe the specific differences are within the two threads

#3 The second release, includes what is in #2, as well as fixes to bugs discovered since versions #1 and #2, and an arrangement of the levels based on the Japanese arcade

#4 The expected third release, same as #3 without Japanese levels, and with a new DK game

Back in the day, multiple people from multiple departments in Mattel were involved in making/release a game. Even then, there were problem, bugs, errors. Having said that, as a buyer of #1, I have no issue with the individuals involved and the various versions that are to be released.

We have people releasing one time only versions of their games on ebay, in an effort to make some money on their work. I have no issue with that. It is their right to release their work in whatever version or versions they choose, just as it our right not to buy. Just as it is DZ-Jay's right to dress up in elves costumes with his wife, and it is nobody's business otherwise.

I will continue to support David, Carl and DZ in their efforts to bring games for our systems, realizing there may continue to be bumps in the road along the way.

The two threads on this topic reminded me of King of Kong. There is something about the game that creates drama, both in arcade and home versions. As I understand it, there are four versions: #1 The first release #2 What Carl has said should have been the first release, I believe the specific differences are within the two threads #3 The second release, includes what is in #2, as well as fixes to bugs discovered since versions #1 and #2, and an arrangement of the levels based on the Japanese arcade #4 The expected third release, same as #3 without Japanese levels, and with a new DK game Back in the day, multiple people from multiple departments in Mattel were involved in making/release a game. Even then, there were problem, bugs, errors. Having said that, as a buyer of #1, I have no issue with the individuals involved and the various versions that are to be released. We have people releasing one time only versions of their games on ebay, in an effort to make some money on their work. I have no issue with that. It is their right to release their work in whatever version or versions they choose, just as it our right not to buy. Just as it is DZ-Jay's right to dress up in elves costumes with his wife, and it is nobody's business otherwise. I will continue to support David, Carl and DZ in their efforts to bring games for our systems, realizing there may continue to be bumps in the road along the way.

I'd appreciate it if you and everyone else keep my wife out of these jokes. My comment on the subject was alluding to dressing up as Christmas Carol to promote the game during CGExpo, in a thread about going to the convention. Twice now it has been twisted in a tasteless way, and I do not like it.

We're all here to have fun and share our gaming passion, but let's keep it clean and civil.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

ha ha. very funny dude. My girlfriend works hard for her money.

You are the one just repackaging games. Do you really lack the creativity to create new games? You should be ashamed of yourself. You are a dis-service to the community.

I do not see the point of saying that...

D2K is a new game, and caves of kroz also is....

making new game is not a matter of imagination... it's a really hard work and we do the best we can for the community

ha ha. very funny dude. My girlfriend works hard for her money.

You are the one just repackaging games. Do you really lack the creativity to create new games? You should be ashamed of yourself. You are a dis-service to the community.

I do not see the point of saying that...

D2K is a new game, and caves of kroz also is....

making new game is not a matter of imagination... it's a really hard work and we do the best we can for the community

Did anyone miss the irony that the person doing all the complaining isn't even spending his own money?

We work hard to bring people games, and we do that outside of our day jobs. You know, the work we do that lets us afford the computers and time to program these games. I don't see the need to defend the originality of the work. If we were, say, just reselling unreleased prototypes of games we didn't write, you might have a legitimate complaint about originality. These homebrews are games that didn't exist before for the Intellivision and now they do, and they exist because we wrote them, debugged them, and so on.

As Valter said, making a new game is hard. It's also rewarding. I write games for me first, and then share them hoping others will enjoy them too. I don't have a marketing department telling me "Hey, can you do something like XYZ?" or a manager saying "Hey, do this one first rather than that one, because ZYX is hot right now." I also don't have 40 hours a week every week to devote to the hobby.

I don't compel anyone to buy my games, and I don't see anyone else compelling anyone to buy their games either. I sell mine hoping to make enough back to be able to afford the next one, and a little extra to add new things over time and to afford to go to places like CGE where I have a chance of meeting some of you. My original releases were in cardboard VHS mailers, for cripes sake, using recycled EPROMs and recycled cartridge shells. Modern releases are in beautiful custom boxes with overlays and will have custom shells and what not, on an advanced board design that will enable bigger, better games. Many people, including Carl and David and Chad and Chris and Willy and Roger and many others worked to bring us to this state--I'm not trying to take all the credit here--but we all did it as a hobby. We've come a long way for something that occurs entirely in our spare time.

I speak only for me, but I imagine other game authors feel similarly.

It's amazing how riled up we can all get from one rather vocal person whose only visible contribution to the community is complaints.

• Like 3