IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

30 minutes ago, GravityWorm said:

YES! I was thinking about RR! Me loves logical Atari 800/400 games!

Cool. 

If you are a fan of that game and clever game engines, you are presumably familiar with the excellent :

Flob:

Shift (new game) 

Time Wizard:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Cool. 

If you are a fan of that game and clever game engines, you are presumably familiar with the excellent :

Flob:

Shift (new game) 

Time Wizard:

I do not play games much in last decades... But if I do I play logical puzzle games on an emulator Atari 800 :)

Flob - I do not like labyrinth games
Awesome game, reminded me of Another Earth (Atari ST, Amiga, PC) but I did not finish it god bored of all the walking.
I like more one map per level games

Time Wizard:
Yes, I know this game interesting!

Shift -  Yea, new to me!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GravityWorm said:

I do not play games much in last decades... But if I do I play logical puzzle games on an emulator Atari 800 :)

Flob - I do not like labyrinth games
Awesome game, reminded me of Another Earth (Atari ST, Amiga, PC) but I did not finish it god bored of all the walking.
I like more one map per level games

Time Wizard:
Yes, I know this game interesting!

Shift -  Yea, new to me!

Interesting, regarding Flob. Well each to their own. :) Personally I think Flob is one of the most engaging and challenging games released on the A8. The sheer number of screens, levels, puzzle elements, secrets to unlock, fast pace and the incredible flip engine element, is enough to engage the player. Not to mention the themed worlds and fantastic music score. 

Time Wizard is equally amazing and I am really looking forward to getting stuck into shift.

I assume you mean Another world, on the Amiga, St and also PC and the Atari Jaguar. Great game. I did some rc conversations on some of the screens a few years back. If fact they were part of a series of RC images I did on my first ever rc post on this thread. :)

image.png.2c264a5390ae162759883a9a0fab305d.png

image.png.349ffab6c8c432e5f78928fec6542b71.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

I assume you mean Another world, on the Amiga,

Yes. "Another Word" or "Out of This World"!
My mistake. i forgot the correct name.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Interesting, regarding Flob. Well each to their own. :) Personally I think Flob is one of the most engaging and challenging games released on the A8.

Yea. but I do not engage at all a higher level. i do not play like decades ago. I played a lot in the past.
In last 3 decades i play mostly games like Víctor Prada's The Children. Games that are divided to small chunks, levels.
Also Another Word was designed better for my taste that Blob...
But still. The author or authors of Blob still should be extremely pleased that i compared Blob to a masterpiece. Another Word (Out of This World) is widely called a masterpiece. Am I right?t?

Children (The) atari screenshot

Edited by GravityWorm
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, GravityWorm said:

Yea. but I do not engage at all a higher level. i do not play like decades ago. I played a lot in the past.
In last 3 decades i play mostly games like Víctor Prada's The Children. Games that are divided to small chunks, levels.
Also Another Word was designed better for my taste that Blob...
But still. The author or authors of Blob still should be extremely pleased that i compared Blob to a masterpiece. Another Word (Out of This World) is widely called a masterpiece. Am I right?t?

Will check "The Childen" game out. :) Do you like Heartlight and Robbo also? I am a big Boulderdash fan.

My preference as larger multiscreen games with lots to explore and a driving storyline, (hence why, also, I love Another World - really immersive). I can see similarities between Flob and Another World in some respects, but in others they are very, very different games. Flob is incredibly fast paced and the flip engine dynamic is genius. Same goes for Time Wizard. Also Tensor Trzaskowskiego. Shift promises the same clever thinking.

Interestingly - and you may know this already - there is an A8 version of Another World, (1990s). I'd love this to be revisited (espcially now we know the beautiful animation of Prince of Persia is entirely possible on the 128k+ A8s).

Anyway, I know this is the RC thread so - sorry all for going off track.

I am currently cooking up some RC images myself using the latest enhanced version of RC. Gonna revisit some of my old images and redo them. :) 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Will check "The Childen" game out. :) Do you like Heartlight and Robbo also? I am a big Boulderdash fan.

My preference as larger multiscreen games with lots to explore and a driving storyline, (hence why, also, I love Another World - really immersive). I can see similarities between Flob and Another World in some respects, but in others they are very, very different games. Flob is incredibly fast paced and the flip engine dynamic is genius. Same goes for Time Wizard. Also Tensor Trzaskowskiego. Shift promises the same clever thinking.

Interestingly - and you may know this already - there is an A8 version of Another World, (1990s). I'd love this to be revisited (espcially now we know the beautiful animation of Prince of Persia is entirely possible on the 128k+ A8s).

I am currently cooking up some RC images myself using the latest enhanced version of RC. Gonna revisit some of my old images and redo them. :) 

I liked Trzaskowski's Tensor. Easy game. As far I remember i finished it easily.
Too easy!

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

I loved Robbo! I did finished standard Robbo levels and almost all levels of GNU Robbo! (GNU/Linux)https://www.gamebrew.org/images/5/5a/Gnurobbovita2.jpg?version=f4d37d4a28ea80f8e56da7ec97d3809c

Edited by GravityWorm
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, GravityWorm said:

I liked Trzaskowski's Tensor. Easy game. As far I remember i finished it easily.
Too easy!

Really?  I found it incredibly hard heh heh. I must revisit it as it's a very cool game. :) 

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Really?  I found it incredibly hard heh heh. I must revisit it as it's a very cool game. :) 

Yea. Easy for me. i like logical-puzzle games I do not give up :D 
i finished all logical-puzzle games I started  excluding some later stages of GNU Robbo, but i'm not sure if it those extra stages were buggy or difficult... Forgot about that game thanks! I need to try again :D
But Boulderdash was way too difficult for me. i do not have good sight for action-logical-puzzle games...
I finished Lode Runner twice on Atari 800 emulator, but when there is too much action i am not good in it...

Also I finished easily PoP2 and never the first one!

Edited by GravityWorm
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, GravityWorm said:

But Boulderdash was way too difficult for me. i do not have good sight for action-logical-puzzle games...

Just goes to show you it's all different for everyone. I find Boulderdash infinitely easier than puzzles like Tensor. Mind you, I spent 100's of hours as a kid/teenager playing Boulderdash. :)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Just goes to show you it's all different for everyone. I find Boulderdash infinitely easier than puzzles like Tensor. Mind you, I spent 100's of hours as a kid/teenager playing Boulderdash. :)

People are far less different than you can imagine. i too liked action games as a kid. Same as you!
i did not get better in playing action games because i basically need a service dog (how do you call such dog in UK?). I need a dog because my eyesight is not OK since kindergarten...
i played a lot logical puzzle games. So I started to like them! :) I plan to find all Atari 800/400 games and try to play them

i play computer games since... It was so long ago I do not remember... :D
Maybe in 1990?

As far i remember i did try to play Rockford (PC CGA) a lot! I tried my best and sucked (US English... 😜 ) in it badly, like in almost all action games including action-platform. in those times i did not have many games so i tried harder than ever...
i tried many times to play Boulderdash... Last time like 1-2 years ago

Edited by GravityWorm

22 minutes ago, GravityWorm said:

People are far less different than you can imagine. i too liked action games as a kid. Same as you!
i did not get better in playing action games because i basically need a service dog (how do you call such dog in UK?). I need a dog because my eyesight is not OK since kindergarten...
i played a lot logical puzzle games. So I started to like them! :) I plan to find all Atari 800/400 games and try to play them

i play computer games since... It was so long ago I do not remember... :D
Maybe in 1990?

As far i remember i did try to play Rockford (PC CGA) a lot! I tried my best and sucked (US English... 😜 ) in it badly, like in almost all action games including action-platform. in those times i did not have many games so i tried harder than ever...
i tried many times to play Boulderdash... Last time like 1-2 years ago

Try Heartlight sometime: 

Single screen, Boulderdash elements. 

There is also a VBXE version:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Try Heartlight sometime: 

Single screen, Boulderdash elements. 

There is also a VBXE version:

I do not support VXBE. It's a overkill. IMO Atari 800/400 is good enough. A lot of colors! Huge palette! good enough IMO
And if we make cartridges for Atari 800/400 cheaper 48kb RAM will be more than enough.
"Best technology for lowest price" - JT

The game "The Children" has also awesome bright colors, with no VXBE! :)

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, GravityWorm said:

I do not support VXBE. It's a overkill. IMO Atari 800/400 is good enough. A lot of colors! Huge palette! good enough IMO
And if we make cartridges for Atari 800/400 cheaper 48kb RAM will be more than enough.
"Best technology for lowest price" - JT

The game "The Children" has also awesome bright colors, with no VXBE! :)

Fair enough - each to their own. :) I am a big supporter of stock Atari video/graphics and sound capabilities too. (Aside from RC images obviously, you only have to look at the likes of Albert, Atariblast, The Last Squadron, Final Assault, RGB, ADoom😍, Time Wizard, Mikie, IK RCX, etc etc, for amazing stock A8 graphics - not a VBXE in sight!) 

Although with regards to Heartlight - as I posted above -  there is a standard A8 (non VBXE version) of it, (the greyscale one).

I've no issue with VBXE and have one in my Atari 800 - yet I'll always be an Atari stock graphics chipset first kinda guy. Games that are pushed to use all the tricks of the original graphics chips - and still look amazing - are the ones I get the real kick from first.

I mean look at this - IK RCX - gorgeous :)

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Fair enough - each to their own. :) I am a big supporter of stock Atari video/graphics and sound capabilities too. (Aside from RC images obviously, you only have to look at the likes of Albert, Atariblast, The Last Squadron, Final Assault, RGB, ADoom😍, Time Wizard, Mikie, IK RCX, etc etc, for amazing stock A8 graphics - not a VBXE in sight!) 

Although with regards to Heartlight - as I posted above -  there is a standard A8 (non VBXE version) of it, (the greyscale one).

I've no issue with VBXE and have one in my Atari 800 - yet I'll always be an Atari stock graphics chipset first kinda guy. Games that are pushed to use all the tricks of the original graphics chips - and still look amazing - are the ones I get the real kick from first.

I mean look at this - IK RCX - gorgeous :)

Only SAM Coupé (8 bit computer from 1989) can beat stock Atari 800/400 from 1979!
Atari with VXBE beats most of 16 bit computers?
First computer I played games on was a PC with European CGA! :)
@ilmenit said Rasta Converter could be still improved!

Imagine cartridge games running on a stock Atari 800 / 400 with images made using latest version of Rasta Converter!
Methinks cheap cartridges (like 1-2 euro per piece, produced in bulk?) would make almost all RAM upgrades not necessary...
https://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-we-need-to-build-computers-for-the-masses-not-the-classes-jack-tramiel-70-79-89.jpg

Edited by GravityWorm

29 minutes ago, GravityWorm said:

Methinks cheap cartridges (like 1-2 euro per piece, produced in bulk?) would make almost all RAM upgrades not necessary...

Not sure if it's that simple (I am no expert here), when it comes to cart tech. See here from another thread:

Original question:

22 hours ago, khaibitgfx said:

I have a question for those m9re knowledgeable than I when it comes to this sort of technology.

Would it be possible to have this game on a cartridge where the cartridge itself supplies to extra memory for a 64k 800XL, basically along the lines of what Nintendo had done with the legend of Zelda on the NES.

Personally I'd like to see more games take advantage of at least 64k, but more take advantage of 128k. I've said it many times, but the likes of Prince of Persia or Time Wizard wouldn't nearly be as good as they turned out to be, without the 128k. 

1 hour ago, Beeblebrox said:

Not sure if it's that simple (I am no expert here), when it comes to cart tech. See here from another thread:

Original question:

22 hours ago, khaibitgfx said:

I have a question for those m9re knowledgeable than I when it comes to this sort of technology.

Would it be possible to have this game on a cartridge where the cartridge itself supplies to extra memory for a 64k 800XL, basically along the lines of what Nintendo had done with the legend of Zelda on the NES.

Personally I'd like to see more games take advantage of at least 64k, but more take advantage of 128k. I've said it many times, but the likes of Prince of Persia or Time Wizard wouldn't nearly be as good as they turned out to be, without the 128k. 

Albert needs how much RAM?

7 minutes ago, GravityWorm said:

Albert needs how much RAM?

128k for all the levels - If running off say an XEX version of the game - it does load on 64k machines but you only get two levels. It has a cart version where I think the extra levels are in banked ram, so I think it will run off stock 64k PAL machines.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

128k for all the levels - If running off say an XEX version of the game - it does load on 64k machines but you only get two levels. It has a cart version where I think the extra levels are in banked ram, so I think it will run off stock 64k PAL machines.

I like that Albert has vibrant colors.
Difficult game. I finished it but, o boy. I would not play this game... But it is an important Atari 800/400 game...
If there would be more games like Albert... Freddie did sing: "That would really be a breakthrough"

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

So cheap cartridges for Atari 800 / 400 would hurt the people who live of producing expensive RAM expansions...

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, GravityWorm said:

So cheap cartridges for Atari 800 / 400 would hurt the people who live of producing expensive RAM expansions...

If cheap carts with the right tech could give all the benefits then it would be great to have them available, but I don't think they'd replace the other options out there. Thing is, most of the RAM upgrades either aren't that expensive, or are way more than just a simple Ram uprade. Multicarts, especially the likes of SIDE3, AVG and SUBAVG - offer so much more. 

For example  - a Rambo XL 256k upgrade for a stock 800XL will maybe cost £40 all in, maybe even cheaper. A 320k upgrade for an XE might cost £20 all in. True - you have to have the skills to install them, and they are per machine.

U1MB is around £90, but is way more than just an ram upgrade.

Brian's plug in PBI upgrade boards for the 800XL and 600XL can be switched between stock machines. Same goes for his 400 and 800 ram boards:

https://www.tindie.com/stores/5cfab/

On balance - for most people a plugin Multicart like AVG or SubAvg, which can be moved between the XL/XE lines (where extra cabling is required depending on whether an XE or XL), is a good balance. 

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing wrong with SRAM at $8000/$A000 for software designed to operate with such access windows, but have fun with a RAMdisk whose access window commonly opens exactly where the screen RAM is located. 99.9 per cent of exisiting software and drivers expect extended memory to be at $4000-$7FFF, to be 16K in size, and are not written with screen buffer avoidance in mind. Certainly a RAMdisk driver can operate with RAM at (say) $8000-$9FFF (I've written one), but if BASIC or cart ROM at $A000 is also required and you don't want to put the display at $7xxx, it's not pretty.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GravityWorm said:

Only SAM Coupé (8 bit computer from 1989) can beat stock Atari 800/400 from 1979!

The problem with a SAM Coupé is that the software library is next to nothing compared with the Atari 8-bit computers (unless your goal is 48K Spectrum software); and good luck getting your hands on one; and if you do, make sure you've got plenty of spare cash on hand.

• Like 1