IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

2 hours ago, Gunstar said:

"And the men who hold high places, must be the ones who start, to mold a new reality, closer to the heart"-Neil Peart of Rush. R.I.P. From 'Closer to the Heart' song, album: 'A Farewell to Kings'

This warrants some Bubbles ;)

I'm also pretty disappointed as to how space travel evolved since I was born (several years after the last moon landing). Well, hopefully we get to see new moon landings within a few years from now. NASA, SpaceX, and CNSA all have plans. I'd really like to see a manned Mars mission in my lifetime.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, snicklin said:

Every new American president promises there will be a mission in 8 years time and never goes throigh with it, it is always 8 or so years away.

Except for Kennedy's '62 speech (We choose to go to the moon). Sadly he didn't live to experience it, but they did bring men to the moon before 1970.

And besides the Artemis project, we now have Elon Musk doing promises. And the Chinese, too. We'll see :)

Edited by ivop
spelling and stuff

3 minutes ago, ivop said:

We choose to go to the moon

I've begun to apply this speech to (my) software development. We've chosen to develop this application, not because it is easy but because it is hard...

A bit into my project, I tend to quote Churchill instead: This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. Maybe it is the end of the beginning.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ivop said:

Except for Kennedy's '62 speech (We choose to go to the moon). Sadly he didn't live to experience it, but they did bring men to the moon before 1970.

And besides the Artemis project, we now have Elon Musk doing promises. And the Chinese, too. We'll see :)

Ahh well, I can only really remember back to the Reagan days! :)

As for my personal way at looking at difficult challenges, I like to think of anything as possible (within reason) but that you need to break down difficult tasks into lots and lots of simple tasks. Divide and conquer the challenge.

Which makes me look at Rastaconverter which works through brute force and wonder whether there could be an upfront phase where the image could be looked at "for its essence" (the actual meaning of that would need to be defined) which could then guide RC to doing a more efficient job, before reverting back to brute force at the end?

I also wonder whether pretrained AI could review the image and do something to help RC? Though I am not acquainted enoigh with AI to be able to test anything.

7 hours ago, ivop said:

This warrants some Bubbles ;)

I'm also pretty disappointed as to how space travel evolved since I was born (several years after the last moon landing). Well, hopefully we get to see new moon landings within a few years from now. NASA, SpaceX, and CNSA all have plans. I'd really like to see a manned Mars mission in my lifetime.

I know Trailer Park Boys well, and that was my favorite episode with Alex Lifeson (my favorite member of my favorite band), so hilarious! I've watched it many times. But I have never seen or knew about the second video, which is incredible, though I've also no idea who the other two guys playing acoustic with Bubbles are...maybe Geddy or Alex's sons? I know Neil only had daughters.

Thank you so much for turning me onto that video!

• Like 1

I remember I downloaded the first black and white Trailer Park Boys movie from IRC back in the day when it was just released. I was a fan immediately :)

Are you aware of the Memphis episode of the Out Of The Park USA series? That one also features Alex Lifeson.

And I just discovered there's a new series Trailer Park Boys: Jail. Now I have to find out where I can watch it :)

tpbjail-banner-570x325.jpg

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ivop said:

I remember I downloaded the first black and white Trailer Park Boys movie from IRC back in the day when it was just released. I was a fan immediately :)

Are you aware of the Memphis episode of the Out Of The Park USA series? That one also features Alex Lifeson.

And I just discovered there's a new series Trailer Park Boys: Jail. Now I have to find out where I can watch it :)

tpbjail-banner-570x325.jpg

Yeah, I'm aware of the Memphis episode with Alex and all the episodes and seasons in and out of the park, like the European scavenger hunt one too. The animated show as well and the "drunk and on drugs super fun time show" or something like that, I forget exactly. I am not sure if I've seen the jail one or not, I may not have, but I'll look into it.

Above I also mentioned I didn't know who two guys were playing with Rush and Bubbles, I watched it again and it's just the one guy, I just got confused with the camera angles. My guess is a son of Alex or Geddy, but if I had to guess, if he is a son of one of them, I'd guess Alex as if he looks a little like either of them at all, it's Alex.

EDIT: I just noticed you said NEW series TPB: Jail, so I probably have not seen it yet, thanks for the heads-up.

Edited by Gunstar

Hi :)

As usual, another title screens from C64 and CPC (captured from real hardware):

Yogy's Great Escape (C64)
228303547_StaxX_YogisGreatEscape.thumb.PNG.29a7ccb679080d3d42fef0f13d12ac54.PNG

StaxX_Yogi.xex 

Yogi's Great Escape (Title).xex

Tombstones (C64):
StaxX_Tombstones.thumb.PNG.9a6f70dd822279e73bfbeb0ffa30e513.PNG

StaxX_Tombstones.xex

1942 (C64)
StaxX_1942.thumb.PNG.b20c8c3484b6f2fa02ea0fcb8427f8ba.PNG

StaxX_1942.xex

The Untouchables (C64)
StaxX_Untouchables.thumb.PNG.475c05f485f029bc8019e94e87572278.PNG

StaxX_Untouchables.xex

Antiriad (CPC):
StaxX_Antiriad.thumb.png.4c165715348876d1835b431bf6e22d10.png
StaxX_Antiriad.xex

The last two images were made on CPC by the talented Titan, whose creations I invite you to see here:
TITAN - Remakes d'écrans-titres CPC (emu-france.info)

Silent Service (CPC):
1060136240_StaxX_SilentService.thumb.png.3470355037f35eff07c367fe3817723a.png
StaxX_Silent Service.xex  

Silent Service (Title).xex

Zorro (CPC):
StaxX_Zorro.thumb.PNG.432b03b77102fcc0b875768d55ae02e9.PNG
StaxX_Zorro.xex 

Zorro (Title).xex

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2022 at 3:30 PM, StaxX28 said:

Hi :)

As usual, another title screens from C64 and CPC (captured from real hardware):

Yogy's Great Escape (C64)
228303547_StaxX_YogisGreatEscape.thumb.PNG.29a7ccb679080d3d42fef0f13d12ac54.PNG

StaxX_Yogi.xex 18.73 kB · 7 downloads  

Yogi's Great Escape (Title).xex 53.39 kB · 7 downloads

Tombstones (C64):
StaxX_Tombstones.thumb.PNG.9a6f70dd822279e73bfbeb0ffa30e513.PNG

StaxX_Tombstones.xex 18.75 kB · 8 downloads

1942 (C64)
StaxX_1942.thumb.PNG.b20c8c3484b6f2fa02ea0fcb8427f8ba.PNG

StaxX_1942.xex 18.89 kB · 5 downloads

The Untouchables (C64)
StaxX_Untouchables.thumb.PNG.475c05f485f029bc8019e94e87572278.PNG

StaxX_Untouchables.xex 18.67 kB · 9 downloads

Antiriad (CPC):
StaxX_Antiriad.thumb.png.4c165715348876d1835b431bf6e22d10.png
StaxX_Antiriad.xex 22.47 kB · 8 downloads

The last two images were made on CPC by the talented Titan, whose creations I invite you to see here:
TITAN - Remakes d'écrans-titres CPC (emu-france.info)

Silent Service (CPC):
1060136240_StaxX_SilentService.thumb.png.3470355037f35eff07c367fe3817723a.png
StaxX_Silent Service.xex 18.84 kB · 6 downloads   

Silent Service (Title).xex 53.77 kB · 5 downloads

Zorro (CPC):
StaxX_Zorro.thumb.PNG.432b03b77102fcc0b875768d55ae02e9.PNG
StaxX_Zorro.xex 18.59 kB · 6 downloads  

Zorro (Title).xex 44.29 kB · 7 downloads

All though it's a lot easier to get clean images from other 8-bits because of the limited color palettes, I do believe these are the cleanest 8-bit computer conversions I've seen yet! Fantastic job!

I'd love to see Yogi's Great Escape, Silent Service and Zorro for the Atari 8-bit get these title screen versions hacked onto them!

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

On 11/6/2022 at 1:30 PM, MrFish said:

IBM didn't look like that after the clones kicked the the crap out of them.

No, they didn't. But this issue is from '87 about when the clones were just starting to appear, IIRC. Even Atari had their IBM clones when this magazine came out though...but not the cloned brand that hurt IBM...I think the Atari ABC clones were out at this time, then they released another line of clones a few years later...IIRC about the time they released the TT.

5 hours ago, Gunstar said:

No, they didn't. But this issue is from '87 about when the clones were just starting to appear, IIRC. Even Atari had their IBM clones when this magazine came out though...but not the cloned brand that hurt IBM...I think the Atari ABC clones were out at this time, then they released another line of clones a few years later...IIRC about the time they released the TT.

I'm not overly familiar with the timeline of the clone wars; but according to this article, they were already gaining ground in '86 -- but more so in the consumer sector, whereas IBM was still holding on in the corporate arena. So, it looks like clones had been out for a few years before that already.

But, yeah... I was generally talking about IBM taking a massive beating after that '87 magazine picture -- which just got worse and worse into the '90's and the Windows/Wintel era.

Atari introduced the PC1 - PC5 machines in 1987, and the ABC machines came out in 1990 (as did the TT that you mention). Atari PC Hardware

Here's a site devoted to the PC1 - PC5.

6 hours ago, Gunstar said:

All though it's a lot easier to get clean images from other 8-bits because of the limited color palettes, I do believe these are the cleanest 8-bit computer conversions I've seen yet! Fantastic job!

I'd love to see Yogi's Great Escape, Silent Service and Zorro for the Atari 8-bit get these title screen versions hacked onto them!

I don't know if I understood correctly (my English is not perfect),
but if you mean having the images as the title screen, I put the links for Zorro, Silent Service and Yogi ;)

Capture.PNG.96921a46abb0276186c3526d0af3afc6.PNG

On 11/13/2022 at 11:45 PM, MrFish said:

Nice bunch of converted images.

The images would be even better if you center them horizontally.

28 minutes ago, MrFish said:

I meant to say vertically centered.

I don't know why they are not centered vertically, because the original images are centered... Maybe the resolution at 320x200, i don't know :)

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, StaxX28 said:

I don't know why they are not centered vertically, because the original images are centered... Maybe the resolution at 320x200, i don't know :)

if it's only 200 vertical pixels, then it will be off vertical center by 20 pixels (upward). You need to take the image into some type of image editor and expand the vertical resolution by 20 pixels on the top and bottom of the image; so that you end up with a 240 pixel high image, before you process in RastaConverter.

• Like 1

@StaxX28If processing a 320x200 image which I often do and you want to basically centre it on screen post conversion just use Sheddy's centering tool which is in this Zip in post below. I do it all the time. That way you can make as many 320x200 conversions as you like and easily centre them on screen after the conversion.  You use the hpos error removal tool first which is also in the zip which removes line errors where possible, then the disassemble tool and finally the centering tool. Just drag the conversion  file onto the tool. 

• Like 2

I tried converting the image in different orientations, and finally decided the best way to get the best conversion was to leave the image in it's original orientation and allow some horizontal proportional stretching to occur.

Looking back home. 47 colors.

LookingBack.png

LookingBack.xex

• Like 5

Here are some modified versions which center the (REALLY BEAUTIFUL) Title Screens like all other RastaConverter Title Versions at my site...

Silent Service http://www.mushca.com/f/atari/index.php?search=SilentService(TitleVersion)
Yogi's Great Escape http://www.mushca.com/f/atari/index.php?search=GreatEscape(TitleVersion2)
Zorro http://www.mushca.com/f/atari/index.php?search=Zorro(extendedVersion)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, www.atarimania.com said:

Likely the disk version which has some additional screens.

So the normal version to all of in the U.S., which IIRC, was only ever sold on disk in the states. I believe Bruce Lee was one of the last that came with both tape and disk in the box. By the time Zorro was released later, like most U.S. publishers, Datasoft had finally fazed out tape releases completely.

To those who grew up with Atari outside of the U.S., this was not a forced transition by software houses, it was market led as Americans upgraded to disk drives much earlier. Of course back then, personally, I would have lived with cassettes much longer and spent more money early on, on software, if I wasn't forced to upgrade to a disk drive since there were few if any, post '82/83 releases on tape.

The first year I lived with tape only as there was plenty of software on cassette that was released '79 to ~ 82/83 on clearance. But I also wanted the later releases (got my first Atari 8-bit in '85). The day I made the decision to upgrade ASAP to disk was the day I walked into a software shop and saw Alternate Reality: The City being demoed to customers on an 800. I was blown away!

Edited by Gunstar

Thanks for your help guys

Here are all my re-centered Rasta conversions, some with fixed HPOS:

StaxX_Rastaconversions.7z

StaxX_RastaSlides.atr

Thanks @nobody for adding title screens to the games ! 

I also tried adding them to the appropriate games with Integrator3.10 but it crashes after the title screen...

I didn't have this issue until I fixed them.

• Like 4