IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

On 12/23/2022 at 4:17 PM, andyhants said:

ok thanks - can I ask - what did you use to create a many automated slide xex ? Is that done in Windows & then you just run the final XEX on the A8?

@Sheddy - would really appreciate your views on my original question about collating & running a multi XEX slideshow from within an SDX environment - thanks.

@andyhants

I think the guys are right that there's too many problems with trying to collate them using the Atari itself. RastaSlide can make an XEX slideshow that contains as many RastaConverter pictures as you can get your hands on though, which is probably your best bet for running on real hardware.

Some really great pictures here recently. Hope everyone has happy holidays.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

@MrFish Happy New year to you and outstanding results so far. To see these in the game would be amazing. The London HoP city scape looks particularly great.

Happy Holidays. C64 images generally convert pretty well (some more difficult -- witness under the chin of the statue in the Inca image). I'm not sure RastaConverter images would be a good choice for adding to the game, though -- for all their complexity. Just converting here for image appreciation on the Ataris.

13 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

I wonder what the conversions would look like with colour reg/pmgs disabled?

I'm not sure. You'd probably have to examine things on an image by image basis.

Something done by hand is maybe the best way to go, using moderate DLI's and PMG's. I would say the first thing to do would be to see what some slightly color-reduced versions would look like (using Photoshop/GIMP, etc.).

The original London image above is 15 color. So, here's a quick 11 color version. Not much loss of fidelity in the reduction, I think.

[Note: This was done in Photoshop on the original C64 image only.]

730237945_IKU07-11color(scaled).thumb.png.3db62fc0a2d2339246799fee56fd84f7.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, pps said:

Noooo... Just in the US they call Football by wrong name and are thinking that their thing might be Football. 🤣

It may seem to foreigners or even younger generations of Americans that American football is strangely named, since the only time the foot is used, in regards to the ball is for field goals and an extra point kick after a touchdown, and forward punts. But in the early invention and evolution of American football in the 19th century there was no such thing as a forward-pass, but back then the Quarterback drop-kicked the ball down field to other players who received or caught the ball. Also because the shape of the ball allowed more precise kicking of the ball by the foot in the way we kicked it, when dropped kicked in punting and forward "passes" as well as field goals and "kickoffs." It did sort of evolve out of your football also, but quickly became a much more popular sport in the states, and the name was kept for that reason too.

So there were plenty of reasons, then and now why it is called football, even if the ball wasn't only kicked around. And no reason to change the name just  because it has evolved into less use of using the foot since that's been the name for nearly 200 years now. So to stop any confusion we call your "football" Soccer the differentiate it from American football which was always and still is more popular than the rest of the world's Football. It's all more perfectly logical than non-Americans think. It's NOT a "wrong" name. You are just ignorant of it's history. Now you are not.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, pps said:

@Gunstar I didn't want to harm anybody and I am aware of US sports history. That's the cause of the smiley I added to my comment.

...but Fußball is not soccer😏😜

Believe me, I think soccer is a stupid name too, but Americans had to come up with another name for that after our version of football partially evolved out of your football with lots of new inventions leading to a completely different sport. It rapidly became more popular than soccer, so we chose to rename your football to soccer instead, if I remember that bit correctly. We couldn't use "kickball" as that name was already used for the popular children's game that is like baseball except the ball is rolled instead of pitched, and kicked instead of struck with a stick, and baseball was already around way back when too.

Actually, I'm not sure whether Kickball or Baseball came first, I'll have to research that, but one did evolve from the other...and again, I don't remember for sure, but those games I believe evolved for the game of Cricket, I just don't recall which came first, if that is correct. But Baseball was probably first since it uses a bat and ball similar to Cricket. I've no idea why the name Soccer was chosen though, I'll have to look into that (I never cared enough to learn before, though I do like playing soccer video games). At least Kickball would have made more sense to me and probably you, than Soccer. At least the arcade table-top version of Fusball is called Fusball instead of soccer. Forgive me, I'd use the proper letter in typing the German name for football if I had it on my keyboard. In fact, we should have just chosen to use the German Fusball instead of Soccer, to differentiate. Especially since German or Deutsh almost became our national language, narrowly edged out in the vote by English, if I recall that bit of history correctly.

Edited by Gunstar

it's been wending it's way around since the 1300's as a name for peasant games played on foot. Twists and turns along the way.

dunno because in 1889, it was called socca and afterward socker prior to getting its present name in 1895. Today soccer. But hey just because huh ;)

Rugby Football and American Football share quite a bit though. At least they use adjectives to Identify one from another.

You would think they'd know the etymology (historical origins etc) of the words they choose to label games and such.

Funny is also that in internal rules etc they call it the Association Football when translated etc, associated with the foot and early references to foot the ball. Socca, Socker, Soccer. My thoughts are they just got lost in what some far off places and people uttered and don't wish to fix it back to what it is, so they will continue to sadly, use both.

For myself, the game names are Rugby, Football, and Soccer. I do this based on history, tradition, and description.

Edited by _The Doctor__

3 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

it's been wending it's way around since the 1300's as a name for peasant games played on foot.

[...]

For myself, the game names are Rugby, Football, and Soccer. I do this based on history, tradition, and description.

No offense my American friends, but all over the World (except the US) the name "Football" means only one game:

handegg_orig.thumb.jpg.1c7f3d348bf8becd7e9174a9ac28c10d.jpg

;-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I guess he ( @madness77) doesn't read where the names come from,

by that logic kick ball is more to be called football than soccer...

because Soccer is ... SHIN-BALL,

HEAD-BALL,

SHOULDER-BALL,

Chest-BALL,

Knee-Ball  etc etc etc.

Yeah maybe Soccer should carry Body-Ball name, since most players can use every part of the body except hands and parts of the arms... let's talk goalie then because...   lmfao

Edited by _The Doctor__

2 hours ago, madness77 said:

No offense my American friends, but all over the World (except the US) the name "Football" means only one game:

handegg_orig.thumb.jpg.1c7f3d348bf8becd7e9174a9ac28c10d.jpg

;-)

I propose that if USA does not adopt the metric system, we are forced to rename Football to Handegg!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1