IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

6 minutes ago, gnusto said:

I was curious so looked it up: $3074 from 1968 inflation adjusted is $27600 today.

However, the average salary in 1968 was $4786, so $3074 was 60+% of that salary. The average US salary now is $63,795. Since there is no Super Bee in modern times (they actually brought back the name but dropped it again 10 years ago, we'll ignore that), a closely related Dodge equivalent might be a V8 R/T charger, which goes for around $45K. $45K is about 70% of $63,795. More expensive in a pure buying power sense to be sure, but not as bad as I thought it would be.

Amusingly, the starter price v8 Super Bee was a 117 inch wheel base sedan with 335bhp, weighing about 3500lbs. A starter v8 Charger is a 120 inch wheel base sedan with 370bhp (the Hemi is 485bhp though), weighing about 4370 lbs. The modern car has worse horse to weight but clocks in faster, probably because of better suspension, transmission. 0-60 in 1968 was ~6 seconds, 0-60 on an R/T is 5.2.

The older car looks approximately 1,068.2% better though. Around there somewhere.

Spot on.  The old cars looked 100 times better, and slap a decent set of modern tires on them (not the skinny ass rubber band ones either) and do some minor suspension upgrades, and they would VASTLY outperform the way they did in the mid 60s.

6 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

That's why people swapped transmission, put in racing rears, modified the suspension and put in high flow exhaust. Old Bee might kick a new cars ass on a straight line run

This reminds me a PC game in which you could swap engines is a car or something... Ancient times!

For those following the earlier post about speed in RastaConverter, I updated it with important info: Using ciede as a generation comparison is what is overall killing my rates, although I need to retest in steps again to see if there is a similar falloff in thread speed. Using YUV with all 32 threads engaged on my 7950X3D I am getting rates as high as 350K+, but it highly variable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ilmenit said:

CIEDE is "a bit" computationally expensive color distance to calculate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_difference#CIEDE2000 

1 - thou should thank all the people who helped you debug?
2 - every version of RC crashes Firefox and Gimp in GNU/Linux, memory error i suspect...

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, ilmenit said:

"RC crashes Firefox and Gimp in GNU/Linux?"

Sorry, but I thought that Linux has a process memory address space separation. How can it crash FF or Gimp, not performing interprocess communication?

Me too!  I also thought that GNU/Linux is almost un-crash-able. For decades I did think GNU/Linux is strong like adamantium!
Then I started using RC.
image.thumb.png.052beea8fa3e86947f8f0e6aca47fce8.png

Edited by GravityWorm

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, ilmenit said:

How can it crash FF or Gimp, not performing interprocess communication?

i do not know

Edited by GravityWorm

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ilmenit said:

CIEDE is "a bit" computationally expensive color distance to calculate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_difference#CIEDE2000 

At the expense of RAM you can preprocess a huge lookup table, I've experimented with that in the past and happy to share the related code if you want to experiment with a potential speedup.

Edited by Wrathchild
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Wrathchild said:

At the expense of RAM you can preprocess a huge lookup table, I've experimented with that in the past and happy to share the related code if you want to experiment with a potential speedup.

RC has/had many problems with memory allocation already... I discovered at least one memory related bug...
I do not remember what GNU/Linux version it was.
We have at least two GNU/Linux "forks". Do we?

Edited by GravityWorm
typos

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, GravityWorm said:

RC has/had many problems with memory allocation already

a malloc call in C for a block of RAM to hold file content is not going to break the app, how do you think the image is loaded? 

Edited by Wrathchild

1 minute ago, Wrathchild said:

a malloc call in C for a block of RAM to hold file content is not going to break the app, how do you thing the image is loaded? 

i do not know

3 hours ago, GravityWorm said:

1 - thou should thank all the people who helped you debug?
2 - every version of RC crashes Firefox and Gimp in GNU/Linux, memory error i suspect...

All the crashes you describe seem to point to a hardware error. Probably memory.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ivop said:

All the crashes you describe seem to point to a hardware error. Probably memory.

That is possible!
I'm not 100% sure.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, GravityWorm said:

That is possible!
I'm not 100% sure.

Another possibility is that you have very little free memory and the Linux OOM killer kills off your largest process. But that only happens in extreme cases when it's already trashing swap.

Speaking of swap, another possibility is that parts of FF or the Gimp were swapped to disk and your swap drive is broken. When it swaps a code page back in, it crashes on corrupt memory.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, ivop said:

Another possibility is that you have very little free memory and the Linux OOM killer kills off your largest process. But that only happens in extreme cases when it's already trashing swap.

Speaking of swap, another possibility is that parts of FF or the Gimp were swapped to disk and your swap drive is broken. When it swaps a code page back in, it crashes on corrupt memory.

35 minutes ago, ivop said:

That SSD is going bad? Worse case scenario...

On 5/14/2024 at 2:40 AM, Beeblebrox said:

I tend to run 25000 solutions as standard, always with yuv/yuv and always a mask, sometimes dithering. 

I run all my conversion at 1000 solutions and yuv  then I add  dithering  and mask if needed  I also check the image with all pallettes I also give each image 2 threads and have anywhere from 8 to 12 images converting at a time with a time sharing method :)   I'm a happy camper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1