IGNORED

Stonix

Did you just call Cmart a hoarder?! haha ;)

I just find it ironic that people are upset now that they don't have the game when it took a LOONG time to sell the initial 250 Stonix games. I remember when they were selling them on ebay for $49.99 a pop (when I bought one) and they were there for months and months and months.

I'm not asking for Intellivision Productions to re-release Spiker because I missed it at the end of the life cycle of the Intellivision. I'm prepared to pay the market cost of the game, when one becomes available. It's clearly something they could do, but how pissed would all the people that spent $1000-$2000 be if they release it again and it was exactly like the original (I know that won't happen...better boxes..carts bla bla bla). I'm just saying, it's the same principle.

Sometimes you just don't get things without paying for it...unless the democrats are in office, then it's free money for everyone! :-o

haha, couldn't resist. I kid I kid!!

While I may hoard (supercollect is the politically correct term :-D ) the odd item, strangely I was not smart enough to do so back then and the only one of the original homebrews I have more than one of is Minehunter, not counting something I'm holding for someone. ;)

• Like 2

Well I dont think cmart is a hoarder in a bad way. True hoarders, hoard to corner the market and inflate the price once its no longer released. I mean we already know of some of these hoarders on ebay are . Cmart is different he will hoard only for future trade or if he does sell it, he does not sell for an arm and a leg. Plus investment, This really is not an investment. I mean you can make some money re selling, and I suppose you can say its an investment but I dont know. if you looking for an investment your better off putting your money somewhere else. I dont buy stuff to invest I collect. Once in a while I may buy two of something and like Cmart my sole purpose is for a potential future trade. I mean some of the prices have recently jack up bc of the voltron effect but this is temporary. As my collection is complete Im only looking for specific variants which many dont have. I mean I have noticed that many ebay sellers troll this forum and never post and as soon as I mentione I need a certain game it miraculously appears on ebay for a jacked up BIN. lol

• Like 1

Also as a re release, as a collector I dont see them as the same. That is I collect variants of the same game, so a re lease may in general lower prices back to normal for the majority of the people, if I do find a variant I am missing I may still pay a premium for it if I believe I may not see it again. But there are only a few of us here that go crazy with variants so those looking to invest for that reason may not do well since there are only a handful of us that want variants and if we have that variant already Im not going to buy it twice.

While I may hoard (supercollect is the politically correct term :-D ) the odd item, strangely I was not smart enough to do so back then and the only one of the original homebrews I have more than one of is Minehunter, not counting something I'm holding for someone. ;)

Shhhh

IFinal thought.....Spiker. Say what you will, but buying a boxed copy for $1500 is like buying gold at $1500/oz. It may go up, it may go down. The level of risk is your decision, but bubbles exist and no one can predict the future. Roll the dice or don't.

Well in the last spiker auction the three high bidders are hardcore collectors. I was one of those bidders. I did not bid $1500 bc I was looking for an investment ,I bid on it for my collection. So not everyone bids high to invest, some of us collect. I wanted the game and I was willing to pay a premium, and I had planned in advance how much I was willing to pay. When it came up I threw my bid.

"I also think it's a bit short sighted to say that we (the people that already owned the first release) aren't the people you're making the game for. You're making it for anyone that will buy it, no? The original releases of Stonix and Minehunter took a long time to sell (I know the guys that sold them) so at that time, there were plenty of copies. They were released a long time ago, so it's inconceivable to think those guys would still be making them. I'd guess that in 10 years, you probably won't want to make more of them either (I could be wrong though) and there will be a market for both releases."

I appreciate anyone who takes their hard earned money and supports our efforts. My point is, that I do NOT expect to sell copies to the people who have the game already. If they want to buy my version, I am happy to sell it to them... and appreciative.

The original releases of Stonix and Minehunter may have taken a while to sell, because it was long before social media and the tremendous YouTube popularity of these days. We have a lot more opportunities to reach Intellivision fans. And, back then, as Joe has explained in some previous messages, they had to determine (guess) how many copies they would sell, and then make them, and hope they sold out. Today, we can program the JLP cart to accept any game. I reprogrammed all of my D1K boards to be Minehunters.

But, it isn't just trying to guess a number to make and hoping you sell that number. These games were intentionally made in limited numbers. I know for a fact that Ryan did not like that, and wanted more people to have his game.

There seems to be two views with regards to new Intellivision games. The first is that it is a niche market that can support no more than 200-300 copies of a game, and that it is desireable to have a limited number of copies.

The second is that the market, although niche, is capable of supporting more than a few hundred copies, and that it is desireable to make them available to anyone who wants one.

I am clearly in the second camp. I don't see re-releasing currently complete games as preventing the release of new games in any way. In fact, it enables them. It brings us up to the volumes necessary to pay for engineering costs, die costs of gatefold boxes, and overlays. It demonstrates to others that they can get their game published. I have TWO Blue Sky Rangers programming for me. One contacted me at CGE when he saw that we did real releases. I doubt he would have started programming the Intellivision again, had he not seen any product.

Nevertheless, I will do my thing, with no apologies.

• Like 1

I have TWO Blue Sky Rangers programming for me. One contacted me at CGE when he saw that we did real releases. I doubt he would have started programming the Intellivision again, had he not seen any product.

*Cmart's jaw hits floor* There are a number of parts of your post that I liked and wanted to comment on, but this needed to be addressed first! :-o Wait...WHAT?!?!??! Do tell Willy, do tell. :love:

I personally don't want to be involved in making unauthorized copies of Spiker. Don't think for a moment that Intellivision Productions isn't aware of what is going on.

I know you were sure to tell them in Vegas. Did you just whisper it in Keith's ear or did you make a banner of it and parade it all over CGE? I guess what happens in Vegas is not staying there.

I guess this is one way to get rid of your competition. You really know how you serve the Intellivision community.

Do not think the people on this forum are as stupid as you think they are. It does not cost any more to produce D2K over D1K. You know people will buy both versions and you are milking the opportunity. Do not act stupid and say you do not know that your best customers buy your variants. When is D3K releasing?

I know you were sure to tell them in Vegas. Did you just whisper it in Keith's ear or did you make a banner of it and parade it all over CGE? I guess what happens in Vegas is not staying there.

I guess this is one way to get rid of your competition. You really know how you serve the Intellivision community.

Do not think the people on this forum are as stupid as you think they are. It does not cost any more to produce D2K over D1K. You know people will buy both versions and you are milking the opportunity. Do not act stupid and say you do not know that your best customers buy your variants. When is D3K releasing?

a little angry are we? you just took this a little too far in my opinion.

*Cmart's jaw hits floor* There are a number of parts of your post that I liked and wanted to comment on, but this needed to be addressed first! :-o Wait...WHAT?!?!??! Do tell Willy, do tell. :love:

I can't share any details, but I can corroborate on at least one of the two, since I helped him set up the tools. :-)

"I know you were sure to tell them in Vegas. Did you just whisper it in Keith's ear or did you make a banner of it and parade it all over CGE? I guess what happens in Vegas is not staying there.

I guess this is one way to get rid of your competition. You really know how you serve the Intellivision community."

I deny "telling on you". I have done nothing to put you in any jeopardy with Intellivision Productions. You are solely responsible for your own actions. And, I didn't know we were competing.

And, you are correct on the cost of D1K vs D2K....the sole difference in price is due to the programming. One can purchase D2K and get D1K with it....so, naturally it is priced higher. D1K has one thing that D2K does not, and that is a Japanese mode. On reflection, I should have never included D1K in D2K....it never turned into the nice bonus I thought it would be.

I am not trying to fight with you David. You do your thing, and I'll do mine. If you want Gatefold boxes, or new overlays, I am willing to print for you as long as you own the copyrights.

As a fairly "new" intellivision collector I found this thread to generate the most interesting discussion (aside from that publishing issue for which I know nothing about). I've been collecting for just over three years and thanks in large part to the knowledge of the members of this group I've learned about the original 125, box variations, European versions, homebrews, etc. It's the fun of collecting that brings this community together and the passion for this system that drives our particular quests. About a year ago I didn't know about "Stonix," but the first time I saw it I knew I wanted one. I feel I'm getting closer (I was the one that you beat out to win this Voltron, kudos) and eventually I hope to get it. I missed out when the game originally released but that's just how things turned out, so although there might be irony from some it's my particular collecting desire that makes me want to have it. I don't get a change to post that often, but I enjoy this forum and everything it offers.

• Like 2

I can't share any details, but I can corroborate on at least one of the two, since I helped him set up the tools. :-)

Sweet mother of all that is holy! :-o Well that's exciting news isn't it. :thumbsup: Willy, is there anything at all that you're allowed to share?

*Cmart crosses fingers hoping against all hope that Willy is able to give us a tidbit or two*

EDIT: Hmmmm, Joe, I just remembered whose booth was across from yours.... :ponder:

Edited by cmart604

a little angry are we? you just took this a little too far in my opinion.

That is what one has to love about forums. If you disagree with a comment, you can try to shut it down with an opinion.

In my opinion, people do things for reasons. Why do people say things in this forum they know nothing about? It is unknown to me but it gets old when one constantly gets attacked or negatively commented about. (I wish my friends would stop telling me about these threads)

My response was not in anger. It was a response to careless and derogatory comments. These type of comments when uncontested can lead to people believing certain things. Take for example Willy's comment about the copyrights to a game. They could mislead you into believing that he has the copyrights to Donkey Kong. No need to argue here Willy. I understand your stance. We can all justify our actions. Another example is Roger's version of the Intelligentvision catalog where my name is not mentioned. One would think Roger started this revolution (sorry Rev, I had to throw this in here) of producing games on cart.

Everything I have released has only been to share with the collectors and gamers. My actions are not for profit or praise. They are for the love of the console I had as a kid and the desire to share with others that I thought would feel the same.

It is sad to see people that know the truth about what has occurred 'behind the scenes' making false, misleading, or negative comments.

Pimpmaul69, if you really knew what has occurred over the past 10 years, you would be "angry" also. (By the way, love your number).

This is what happens when an otherwise innocuous hobby, based on childhood passions, is polluted by the smell of money. It's unfortunate, and it need not be that way.

I buy games to play, and I make games for others to play. No investments, no profit. Playing Intellivision games--or making them--transports me back to the dreams I had as a child.

I will do anything within my power to keep it that way.

Das ist alles.

dZ.

• Like 4

Everything I have released has only been to share with the collectors and gamers. My actions are not for profit or praise. They are for the love of the console I had as a kid and the desire to share with others that I thought would feel the same.

It is sad to see people that know the truth about what has occurred 'behind the scenes' making false, misleading, or negative comments.

Pimpmaul69, if you really knew what has occurred over the past 10 years, you would be "angry" also. (By the way, love your number).

Dave, I think you should maybe spill some of this.

I don't know why there's this big cone of silence about all this stuff.

It's a videogame collecting hobby for christsakes not national security.

Dave I think you've done tons for this hobby, I have bought every product you've ever put out, and because of

your efforts, I have gotten to play tons of games that I never would have without the work you've done.

If you feel like there are things that have gone on to your detriment, why be silent about it?

Why cover it up, doesn't only serve to help those that you feel have slighted you?

I'm not looking for drama or conflict here, but this is a small hobby, and there are some exceptionally talented people here that have been trying to take this to another level.

Dave you are one of them, and maybe if this stuff just gets out in the open it could be dealt with?

I'd love to just see all you guys working together towards common goals, since I know as a gamer/collector I'll benefit most from all you guys pulling together.

My .02

Micky

That is what one has to love about forums. If you disagree with a comment, you can try to shut it down with an opinion.

In my opinion, people do things for reasons. Why do people say things in this forum they know nothing about? It is unknown to me but it gets old when one constantly gets attacked or negatively commented about. (I wish my friends would stop telling me about these threads)

My response was not in anger. It was a response to careless and derogatory comments. These type of comments when uncontested can lead to people believing certain things. Take for example Willy's comment about the copyrights to a game. They could mislead you into believing that he has the copyrights to Donkey Kong. No need to argue here Willy. I understand your stance. We can all justify our actions. Another example is Roger's version of the Intelligentvision catalog where my name is not mentioned. One would think Roger started this revolution (sorry Rev, I had to throw this in here) of producing games on cart.

i am not gonna pretend to know everything that has happened between all of you, i just felt it needs more explanation and that is why i took it as angry. i appreciate a lot that you have done and have made plenty of use of your website too. hope i didnt start a war with you. it is not my inention to make enemies here.

Thanks for the mention David! Long live the revolution! (shameless website plug)

I'm almost at a loss as how to respond to the difference in opinions with willy/David. My goal was to always remain neutral with other peoples problems. But it is hard in a public forum. But I think everyone talking about it is actually therapeutic. This thread should not be shut down unless it turns into a cussing match.

Ok I'm done.

This is what happens when an otherwise innocuous hobby, based on childhood passions, is polluted by the smell of money. It's unfortunate, and it need not be that way.

I buy games to play, and I make games for others to play. No investments, no profit. Playing Intellivision games--or making them--transports me back to the dreams I had as a child.

I will do anything within my power to keep it that way.

Das ist alles.

dZ.

Bravo!!!! That is sooooo my thinking as well. I am sick to death of this hobby becoming nothing more than an "investment" for people. I collect because I love the memories it brings back. Unfortunately every collection I get into gets pulled down into nothing more than "what's it worth".

I love the homebrews, but I try to keep my spending under control so I can't always buy when they first come out. By the time I can, the prices balloon past my confort zone. That's why I have precious few of them.