IGNORED

Looking for American to join Defender of the Crown Project

I know I am new here, and I don't want to be a poop stirrer. But I'll come out and say it (if it hasn't already been said): If someone is going through the trouble of publishing a legit title, then it is nobody's business how much the costs are - and what profit they may make of it. I personally would never over scrutinize the cost analysis given for the potential release of DoC, because simple dollar figures are a shot in the dark for the person who assumes responsibilty without a firm order contract. While in the grand scheme of things we hope this is all for love of the hobby, it still puts the person in a place of financial risk. Capitalism 101: Risk = Reward. Reward is not necessarily profit, the person may choose to reinvest for future titles, or recover losses from a previous one.

I'll get off of my American conservative free capitalist soap box now... ;-)

• Like 2

This is a rough idea of what I think should be offered as tiers:

$10 - Serial numbered, customized ROM with name in in-game credits, PDFs of game materials

$20 - Same as above, but name also in "contributors" section of game manual

$50 - Cartridge-only version (no physical instructions, box, or overlays)

$100 - Complete-in-box version (cartridge, overlays, instructions), shrink-wrapped, normal shell

$150 - Complete-in-box version with clear plastic shell and LEDs

$250 - As above, but signed by author, serial number in the range 1 to 20 (limited to 20 backers, obviously)

$1000 - Game contains knight with backer's name, knight's avatar drawn to backer's likeness, backer can customize theknight'ss stats to his liking

Observations:

I don't think we should have any between $250-$1000, because no one ever backs them.

The $10-$20 range, the $50 range, and the $100 range have the most backers. We should focus on these ranges. We shouldn't have any more tiers, because it will likely confuse people and there doesn't seem to be much point.

Problem:

There's no way to reach even these price points unless we can reduce the cost per unit. That is why Willy is trying to find a way to manufacture and ship the game materials from the US; the outrageous shipping costs in Canada is really killing us.

Are the LEDs going to be one standard color going forward? It would be cool if pink LEDs were available to match the proposed box color!

Got it. Definitely cool to think about the future though. Things like a clear cartridge and LEDs will build brand identity. Even if it is a premium upgrade, things like that will make your operation stand out. We geeks love a "gee wiz!" factor, what better than a light up cartridge.

I think I saw a pic of a clear cartridge, is this something you are planning to release soon? Or is that going to be implemented when the new board revision is ready for production?

I have no intention of making any statements regarding clear shells or LED PCBs, because I reserve the right to change my mind based on market conditions or whatever I come up with. They could be used as a 'special edition' or in a particular title......or just the first few of a release to try and raise more money for printing etc.

I don't assume soldering an LED on each board would be easy...it might take 30 seconds, or might be a total pain in the rear.