IGNORED

Looking for American to join Defender of the Crown Project

Kickstarter rules have been recently changed to NOT allowing multiple copies of a product to be a reward......

Kickstarter takes a 10 percent cut together with Amazon.....

Perhaps we should do our own 'Kickstarter'?

Using pledges......and then have them send the money in via PayPal or Visa/Mastercard?

D2K Sales are mid 300s now.....but a lot of people have purchased multiple copies......we don't have 300 individual customers (yet)......we are over 200.....and building......

The question is........does the Kickstarter give us a higher profile, or does it limit what we can promise to backers/supporters and takes 10 percent to do it?

Many Kickstarter projects offer their Backers to make a higher pledge and contact them for what extra this higher pledge is (2 copys for example).

Kickstarter is worldwide known and will bring you much more attention than do it on your own.

Maybe we can compensate this by making advertising in every related forum/website that we know.

• Like 1

If Carl is the best programmer on the Intellivision, why is Arnauld's code being used? I contend that Arnauld is the best programmer out there on the Intellivision. Hands down!!!

Joe has been in the homebrew community the longest. Do not count when a person first became active, count how long they have actually been active. We all owe a huge amount of gratitude to Joe for his SDK kit and continued support over the years.

A kickstarter for Defender of the Crown? Why was one not done for Donkey Kong/DK which is a much more popular title? It is not like Defender of the Crown is even a well known title. Why not do a kickstarter for Ms. Pac Man or Donkey Kong Junior. At least the work on these have all been done by Carl and you will have a larger group of people that would pay for a full time programmer to do this. I am sure Valter can get the license for them.

How come Match 5, Paddle Party, and your other releases do not require a kickstarter? Do the programmers not want to get paid? Maybe one of them can do the work on Defender of the Crown.

Valter, maybe you can get the license for Burgertime? We can then do a kickstarter for B2T Arcade! At least this is a popular Inty title.

Edited by intvdave

There is no stirring. I am just offering valid options. Why even do a kickstarter program when you have programmers willing to make the games at a WAY lower cost? Defender of the Crown is not a title that is worthy of all that investment. Raise the money for Arnauld to finish his Doom game or his Mad Drivin' game. Or even have him finish Castle. There are more.

All the money you are attempting to raise should be able to fund more than just one title. I could never contribute to the kickstarter especially when I think it is starting off on the wrong foot (using someone else code). To bad people out here do not understand this. Their money is not being wisely invested.

I am happy you are producing games. The community needs you and Valter. I just want them to be properly informed.

In the off chance that you aren't aware of the facts.

- Arnauld doesn't want to finish Defender of the Crown

-Carl is indeed a very competent programmer regardless who you believe is 'the best'

-Carl has no doubts that he can pull this off......he told me he could write an Intellivision emulator for the Gameboy Color.....he did....I didn't doubt him when he said he could write an Intellivision emulator for the NES......he did.....if he says he can do it, backers have no need to be worried.

-Other programmers do not want to take on such a big programming task....nor are they good enough to continue as you say to add to another coder's code..other programmers are part time and this is a full time job.

-It is not starting off 'on the wrong foot' because we don't want to re-invent the wheel.

-Defender of the Crown is a very well known, LICENSED game that we can do.....backed by Cinemaware

-Your comments regarding royalties or payment for my other titles is out of order and none of your business.

-The Rights for Ms. Pac Man were refused to us by Namco....not once, but twice.....this title won't be published by my company. You are free to make any deals with whoever you want to do whatever you feel you can get away with.

Either contribute positively, or leave the thread.....I am willing to listen to any constructive suggestions you make......"do something else" is not constructive...

• Like 2

If Carl is the best programmer on the Intellivision, why is Arnauld's code being used? I contend that Arnauld is the best programmer out there on the Intellivision. Hands down!!!

Joe has been in the homebrew community the longest. Do not count when a person first became active, count how long they have actually been active. We all owe a huge amount of gratitude to Joe for his SDK kit and continued support over the years.

A kickstarter for Defender of the Crown? Why was one not done for Donkey Kong/DK which is a much more popular title? It is not like Defender of the Crown is even a well known title. Why not do a kickstarter for Ms. Pac Man or Donkey Kong Junior. At least the work on these have all been done by Carl and you will have a larger group of people that would pay for a full time programmer to do this. I am sure Valter can get the license for them.

How come Match 5, Paddle Party, and your other releases do not require a kickstarter? Do the programmers not want to get paid? Maybe one of them can do the work on Defender of the Crown.

Valter, maybe you can get the license for Burgertime? We can then do a kickstarter for B2T Arcade! At least this is a popular Inty title.

Defender of the Crown is a well known game for retro gamers ... and a personal favorite of mine. This will hopefully appeal to not only Intellivision fans, but fans of Defender of the Crown in general.

I've seen Carl's work from DK Arcade and D2K ... I have absolutely NO reservations about contributing to a kickstarter based on his skills. I know that the product will be professionally done.

• Like 2

As a side note, it is very unlikely I'll be using Arnauld's code, because it's easier for me to start from scratch using my own tools and engines that it would be to study Arnauld's approach and extend on it. (This is not a criticism of Arnauld's coding skills at all.)

I would however, make use of graphics that have been done so far, and the music (which if I understand correctly, comes from the Atari ST version of the game).

Of course, trying to start a "who's the best programmer?" debate is no doubt an attempt to negatively influence this thread in a rather lame attempt on your part to do anything you can derail our kickstarter project.

It doesn't involve you. Leave it alone.

On the other hand, if anyone is willing to step up and do the programming for free… Now is the time. There are other things I could be working on. 

Gee, Dave. How about you?

Edited by Carl Mueller Jr
  • Like 1

So the kickstarter project should not say that the game is 60% programmed right? This is the honesty I am looking for that I believe is lacking.

Thanks for asking. I am working on 2 projects I actually enjoy and that I want done. I do not need to get paid for them because I am not doing them for anyone else. Sure, I may share them later but maybe not. I just have fun coding and playing the games.

Hilarious.

It is 60% coded. If I choose to re-code it from scratch and still finish it in the time allotted, that's really my own business, isn't it?

And if anyone can do it for less, or even better, for free, they're welcome to take on the project.

Obviously, you are not. You're too busy playing the "hero" who supposedly makes no profit off his games (or rather, the games of others without their consent).

Edited by Carl Mueller Jr

I think that the majority of ANY homebrewer that releases games for old systems does not make a whole lot of money. If they do they are most likely to turn around and reinvest it right back into more games.

What about the CV homebrew games that they port over from pc. Do they have all that much programming involved? I doubt it, they seem to release multiple games all at once. Yet dont they charge like 50 bucks per copy plus shipping?

Edited by revolutionika

"This is the honesty I am looking for that I believe is lacking."

Dave.......I agree.....let's be honest......you came into this thread to stir up trouble....didn't you? Why do you feel compelled to continue to cause strife in this community?

I don't come into your threads to attempt to cause friction, and make false accusations and put negative spin on your activites......I don't know why you do in mine........it really makes me question your mental stablitiy........don't you think that it is time you stopped this childish behaviour? I almost thought that you had put this nonsense behind you when your bogus Atari Age account was uncovered. Now, you do it openly.

If you were really happy that Elektronite was producing games, you wouldn't be doing everything in your power to misrepresent me and derail my efforts.

Lot's of people love that you are illegally producing Intellivision cartridges. You take risks that I am not interested in taking. I do not think it will end well for you, but that is your choice. Lots of people appreciate you in this community. Go bask in their appreciation, and stop trying to characterize me as a profiteer. You try to appear to be magnanimous, but we know that your costs are lower than mine and that you do indeed make money off of your products. I am running a business.....deal with it! Do you pay taxes on your revenue? Do you pay your programmers? (Whoever wrote the games you sell).....are you even a legal business? Does the IRS know that you have thousands in 'hobby income'? Yes, let's have some truth, shall we?

Your lame attempts to derail my business is causing strife in the community. I want it to end now. If you have nothing to contribute, or refuse to collaborate, put your emotions in check, and shut up. If you have something to contribute to my efforts, or require some of my assistance I would like to think that I could, in the interests of everyone here who wants to enjoy their favourite game system, collaborate with you. However, you continue to be like a pebble in a shoe, that keeps bouncing around and being a royal pain every now and then.

I am surprised you haven't had yourself banned yet from this thread.

Edited by Games For Your Intellivision
  • Like 3

If you have something to contribute to my efforts, or require some of my assistance I would like to think that I could, in the interests of everyone here who wants to enjoy their favourite game system, collaborate with you.

Now this is my kind of statement. :thumbsup: :) I suspect I speak for most here when I say I'd love to see more of this sort of sentiment and less of the squabbling variety. We have such a small community and many of us feel a bit caught in the middle as we certainly appreciate all that David, Joe, Willy, Carl, Arnauld, DZ and many others have contributed to our favourite little system, and we genuinely hope you guys can put aside whatever differences you may have with each other, or at least take it to PM, and lets please leave these threads and this forum for a fun and lively discussion of "THE GREATEST VIDEOGAME SYSTEM EVER MADE" (Not sure who I'm quoting there, possibly myself). Many of us here have been supporting all of the "homebrew" efforts for years and absolutely want to do so going forward and we're literally just praying this community doesn't unnecessarily implode. Also, bacon.

My $0.02.

• Like 5

At any rate....we will be using 'official' art.....I think Cinemaware wants us to run things by them as we proceed.......

I haven't added up the tiers to see how many of each tier we need to reach our programming/rewards/shipping/Kickstarter fee level......

Regardless of what was said in a recent interview, it is not only possible to finish Arnauld's programming, if funded, it WILL happen.

I am curious since all this talk of legitimate business and licensing is coming up... were the DK1 and DK2 games licensed for use from Nintendo? Those characters are their IP even if you didn't use their source code.

Personally when it is a "hobbiest" product I don't really care, but I would be suprised if Nintendo would ever give their official ok to use those.

Lot's of people love that you are illegally producing Intellivision cartridges. You take risks that I am not interested in taking. I do not think it will end well for you, but that is your choice. Lots of people appreciate you in this community. Go bask in their appreciation, and stop trying to characterize me as a profiteer. You try to appear to be magnanimous, but we know that your costs are lower than mine and that you do indeed make money off of your products. I am running a business.....deal with it! Do you pay taxes on your revenue? Do you pay your programmers? (Whoever wrote the games you sell).....are you even a legal business? Does the IRS know that you have thousands in 'hobby income'? Yes, let's have some truth, shall we?

I know of your attempts to have Keith come after me. Nice job. Are you going to report me to the IRS also?

I love how you know so much. Where do you get your information from? I have not seen any birdies flying around my house lately.

You made me think about it. For $45,000, sure, I will do it. Not a bad salary for 6 months of work. Please note though that the game is around 30% done. I do not want to exaggerate in the Kickstarter program.

Obviously, either your math skills or your comprehension skills are a bit lacking.......the salary for the Defender of the Crown programming is $12,500 to be completed in six or less months......25 x 500 = $12,500......you have overestimated the value of the programming by $32,500......bad at math? comprehension?.......... Or just lacking honesty?

Again, Valter reported that the game was 60 % complete....this information was either from Arnauld himself, or an educated guess based on what elements in the game have been implemented.

If you don't want to exaggerate, don't exaggerate the amount we are paying to complete the game. If the game is only 30 percent complete, why should anyone care if it will be completed for the salary being offered?

Obviously, you are trying to imply that the game won't be finished in the allotted time, and bring doubt to those who want to back the project.

People can be confident that if they back this project, that the game will be finished, and they will have their just rewards, and the knowledge that they made it possible.

I know of your attempts to have Keith come after me. Nice job. Are you going to report me to the IRS also?

I love how you know so much. Where do you get your information from? I have not seen any birdies flying around my house lately.

So, is this your problem with me? You blantantly sell Intellivision Productions games, making NO ATTEMPT to do so with any secrecy and think I 'told on you'? In case you didn't know, it is 2013.....not 1993......anyone with half a brain can operate a computer. I've been on Intellivision Productions Facebook page, and seen people asking where they can get your products. Someone posted a link......and the person replied 'thanks'.....the link was deleted the next day by Intellivision Productions.

If you believe that I had anything to do with Intellivision Productions knowing about your activities, your anger is misplaced.

How do I know so much? Well, I had a meeting with Intellivision Productions in August. The purpose of the meeting is confidential. Your name was not mentioned specifically, however, your activites were.......Intellivision Productions mentioned it......not me..... If you wish to know exactly what was said, please PM me.

I wish you no ill will, and certainly will not talk to the IRS. I am a Canadian, and it is none of my business.

However, if you take any kind of fall for your activities, if you truly want to be honest, look in the mirror, and don't blame me for your troubles.