IGNORED

Is the IDE PLUS 2.0 still available (not at Lotharek)

Marius

Anyone know what is the best CF card adaptor to get for this thing? Is there a dual CF adaptor that works with master/slave configuration? Obviously, youd want one of the variety that has the mounting holes in the same location that a notebook drive would have.. Any other considerations? Do you need one of the adaptors that has the 3.3v regulator on it, in order to use newer CF cards?

Thoughts/suggestions?

Edited by MEtalGuy66

• 3 weeks later...

The review at www.realdos.net which states that the 8-pin 800XL functionality connector is "not enabled at this revision" is INCORRECT. This connector's functionality is 100% the same as in the revision C and is fully functional. It's purpose is to provide the additional cart-control signals not present at the XL PBI connector, so that the IDE Plus 2.0's on-board cart slot and SpartaDOS X can function with the 600XL/800XL. When connected appropriately, this connector also supplies +5V DC power to the IDE Plus 2.0, which NEGATES the need to provide external power or power to the PBI bus connector.

Installation diagram for 800XL functionality connector:

IDE2PLUS-800XL.jpg

Click image for full sized version.

Link:

http://www.rasterline.com/images/IDE2PLUS-800XL.jpg

Edited by MEtalGuy66

So is the 8-pin cable required for both the cart slot AND for SDX? Or just the cart slot?

I haven't plugged it into my XL yet, just the XE so far.

That 8 pin connector is to allow the 800XL to power the interface and bring out the signals needed for the cart port as well.

The 800XL doesn't have power on the PBI bus like the 600XL does so If you want to use the interface with an 800XL you will have to power the interface in one of three ways, 1) external power supply, 2) Internal jumper from mb to pbi pad, or 3) the 8 pin cable.

I am confused too (like kogden post).

When you ONLY add +5V on your atari PBI connector. (the missing pad). the IDE+ 2.0 will work, but... what features won't work then?

* will the cartridge port on the IDE+ interface work?

* will the built in SDX work?

Other important things to mention?

I'm not interested in SDX, so I never use it. I did not modify my 800xl's yet. I only used the IDE+ 2.0 on my XE's so far. But it might be important for me to know.

I'm definetely not going to add a small ribbon cable to my 800XL to be able to use this interface. The +5V modification will keep my 800XL as original as possible (I also mean the looks). So that's why I want to know.

The +5V mod is not needed for 600xl... but are the other modifications needed for 600xl as well?

Its not that big of a "mod".. its a tiny 8wire ribbon that hangs out of the existing PBI hole in the back, below the pcb.. You can roll it up and tuck it inside (and even pop the cover back on) when its not in use.. And if you ever want to remove it, its just a question of heating up the 8 solder joints which are all located on the underside of the motherboard, real close together. Not spread all over the board. Theres no trace cutting involved or any unreversible modifications.

Another alternative is to make an adaptor that plugs into the XL cart slot and has the ribbon going over to the 8pin connector on the IDE Plus 2.0.

Without the additional cart control signals provided by the extra cable, the SDX and remote cart slot will not work. The rest of the interface will work fine.

Edited by MEtalGuy66

You are right MG66... and there is not really a difference between adding the +5V on the PBI, and doing those other wires too.

In fact I dislike the need of the +5V too. I simply want to be able to grab an atari from my huge pile of atari 8bit computers, and then use it.

When I rely on all kind of internal upgrades or mods, I always have to stick with the 'right' atari computers. So that's why I stepped back to 100% original.

And indeed... as soon as the +5V mod is needed, this little rule from myself doesn't apply anymore. Hmmm

Ah, ok.... thanks, that's what I was trying to figure out.

I might go ahead and solder a little ribbon cable in soon. For now I could always install RealDOS and use that on the XLs and use the firmware binary loader for stubborn games I can't get to run under RealDOS.

Since I use the IDE+ on different XL's and XE's, instead of modifying every one by adding cables, I took Sloopy's suggestion and used an old XE cart and ran those 8 lines to the cart's circuit board (ROMs pulled).

So now, I just plug that dummy cart in any A8 with a PBI and have no problems :)

• Like 1

That's the way I'd go about it for general use. Then, if I had a preferred 800XL, I'd add the ribbon to that one. Best of both worlds!!

So far, I too have only used my IDE Plus 2.0 on a 130XE, but since I am going to create one SD card or partition for hardware testing purposes, I'll be using the cartridge pluggable option.

Since I use the IDE+ on different XL's and XE's, instead of modifying every one by adding cables, I took Sloopy's suggestion and used an old XE cart and ran those 8 lines to the cart's circuit board (ROMs pulled).

So now, I just plug that dummy cart in any A8 with a PBI and have no problems :)

Is already known when the 'irq-generator' switch on the new revision board can be used?

I hope it will be something like the way it works on the blackbox. That I press the button.... a screen appears where I can pick one of my partitons and 'mount' it on

D1:

D2:

D3:

D4:

D5:

D6:

D7:

D8:

The way the current Fdisk works is cool, but not handy. I think the way the blackbox does this, is extremely handy. I wished I could code for IDE+ device, then I could create it myself.

Thanks anyway!

It is a great device

Just tried my IDE Plus 2 with the CF card and the adapter above and it works great on my 130XE and 600XL. For people with no technical knowledge of Atari PBI port, I am posting a photo to show how to connect the extension ribbon cable the right way so that the interface will work the first time, Note the red wire on the ribbon cable for correct orientation.

Unfortunately neither the Atari nor the ribbon cable / the header in IDE Plus 2 have pin 1 indication. Connecting the cable the wrong way will probably not damage your Atari/IDE Plus 2 but may give you a heartache when you see a blank/green screen on your monitor with no signs of other life :-). So here it goes.

I also have a question. The LED on the device only comes ON when a HDD is connected, with the CF card I never see the LED coming on, is this normal behaviour?

post-15627-0-67786400-1377460436_thumb.jpg

Edited by atari8warez
  • Like 1

Heh. Any way that you can connect it without the ribbon cable being twisted, running over top of the interface, or the interface upside down will work.. Its the orientation of the connectors, not the red stripe, that matters.. With the interface right side up, the XL connector facing the atari, and no twists in the cable, its gonna work..

technical explanation:

I have XL PBI cables that have no stripe at all, or even the stripe on the opposite side from the one you showed.. It depends on whether the person who assembled the cable decided to orient the striped edge of the cable to indicate pin 1 of the of the XL PBI card edge or not. When such cables are crimped together at a manufacturer, usually, the striped conductor indicates pin 1 on all connectors, however, because of the way atari numbered the XL PBI card edge, the 2 rows of conductors on the dual-row IDC connector end of the cable are reversed.. In otherwords, if we go by actual XL PBI card edge pin numbers, the conductors in the cable on the IDC end go 2,1,4,3,6,5,8,7... etc.. This does not conform to the industry standard pin arrangement for dual-row IDC connectors. Incidently, this is what has caused so much confusion in the past when it comes to proper layout of this connector on PCBs.. Bascially, in short.. It just depends who made the cable..

On PBI devices in general (EXCEPT FOR THE ORIGINAL IDEA interface, which had it ass-backwards).. MIO.. BlackBox.. Supra.. IDE Plus... If the dual row IDC connector is facing upwards (sticking out the top side of the board).. And its on the end of the board thats facing the atari.. And the cable is not twisted.. Then the orientation is correct.

Edited by MEtalGuy66

Heh. Any way that you can connect it without the ribbon cable being twisted, running over top of the interface, or the interface upside down will work.. Its the orientation of the connectors, not the red stripe, that matters.. With the interface right side up, the XL connector facing the atari, and no twists in the cable, its gonna work..

technical explanation:

I have XL PBI cables that have no stripe at all, or even the stripe on the opposite side from the one you showed.. It depends on whether the person who assembled the cable decided to orient the striped edge of the cable to indicate pin 1 of the of the XL PBI card edge or not. When such cables are crimped together at a manufacturer, usually, the striped conductor indicates pin 1 on all connectors, however, because of the way atari numbered the XL PBI card edge, the 2 rows of conductors on the dual-row IDC connector end of the cable are reversed.. In otherwords, if we go by actual XL PBI card edge pin numbers, the conductors in the cable on the IDC end go 2,1,4,3,6,5,8,7... etc.. This does not conform to the industry standard pin arrangement for dual-row IDC connectors. Incidently, this is what has caused so much confusion in the past when it comes to proper layout of this connector on PCBs..

Thanks for the technical explanation, but without going into too much detail the best help for a novice Atari user is simply to tell them to use the red stripe as a guide. Whether the cable would work upside down or not may not be interesting to a fellow Atari gamer who's main objective might be just to hook the device up and start loading his games to the CF/HD. For technically minded individuals I am sure your detailed explanation is a welcome addition.

What is your opinion on the LED issue, should it light up when there is CF activity?

Edited by atari8warez