IGNORED

Is the IDE PLUS 2.0 still available (not at Lotharek)

Marius

It's an absolutely amazing device. I am so happy with it!

There is no other device available in this size that can run so many titles of games on an unmodified atari!

Today I spent hours playing Johny's Trouble disk version which does only run from PBI (or SIO ofcourse) on a Stock 800XE.

Amazing! That is a no go with MyIDE or other popular interfaces. (It runs very well on Blackbox too btw.)

Yes, IDE+ 2.0 is a keeper!

• Like 1

Probably a useless comment, but I would like to say one more time that I am very happy with these interfaces.

I'm real happy with mine so far too. Very nice.

1 question though.... when using a real IDE HDD with the interface, is it necessary to use external power? When it accesses the disk on my 130XE I notice some interference with video display.

I haven't plugged it into my 800XL yet to see if it does the same thing. I need to stick an internal RAM expansion in there. Can't use the RAM 320XL and IDE+ simultaneously unfortunately.

1 question though.... when using a real IDE HDD with the interface, is it necessary to use external power? When it accesses the disk on my 130XE I notice some interference with video display.

External power is not necessary but can be helpful. Some interferences (eg. color shift) may appear. It depend on the PSU stability, power connectors resistance and current load.

As long as you have a decent PSU, theres nothing wrong with powering the HDD off the atari.. However, you must realize that when the drive accesses, it is likely to cause a slight voltage drop on the main power circuits of the machine, and since there are no regulators in the atari, it effects the input voltage level to the analog voltage doubler circuit that drives the CADJ signal input (the color adjustment pot. circuit) on the GTIA, and you will see an overall "tint" change in the screen when this happens. If you have VBXE, it doesnt effect it's RGB output in the slightest..

Edited by MEtalGuy66

Has anybody compiled a list of working CF cards/adaptors with IDE Plus 2 yet?

I haven't seen one but so far I haven't had any real issues with most drives I've tried.

This dual CF adapter works just fine but I had to flip the brackets and shave down the spacers to get it to mount right. There's better out there. It DOES support microdrives as well.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3104062254561?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=310406225456&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

So far I've tried IDE Plus with:

- 1GB IBM 2.5" IDE drive from '96

- 40GB Fujitsu 2.5" IDE drive

- the above CF adapter w/ a 128MB Sandisk CF card.

The hard drives worked great but really need external power. The CF card works flawlessly. I grabbed a couple 4GB Seagate ST1 Microdrives to try out for $3/ea on eBay. Might work out pretty well.

post-30429-0-46392700-1374273718_thumb.jpg

Great, I bought this will see if it will work. I would be amazed if it did at this price point but who knows :). Also, how large a capacity can I go with these CF cards? Sorry I am pretty high on C2H6O tonight, so excuse me if I am asking questions with obvious answers all over the place, but I am in no shape to do the simplest search tonight... :dunce:

Great, I bought this will see if it will work. I would be amazed if it did at this price point but who knows :). Also, how large a capacity can I go with these CF cards? Sorry I am pretty high on C2H6O tonight, so excuse me if I am asking questions with obvious answers all over the place, but I am in no shape to do the simplest search tonight... :dunce:

You will need a cable to connect the adapter you linked, since it has a male header connector.

I have the same dual-CF adapter as Kogden and have a couple of generic 8GB CFcards that pass the diagnostics, although a couple of 4GB cards didn't

I haven't tried any larger CF cards because 8GB are large enough, especially with the ability to connect 2 cards.

Great, I bought this will see if it will work. I would be amazed if it did at this price point but who knows :).

It'll probably work.... CF is really close to IDE.... not much to the adapter. Whether it supports both 5v and 3.3v might be a different story. MicroDrives might be out.

Mounting it securely might be a pain.

Also, how large a capacity can I go with these CF cards?

Probably really big but you're likely wasting your time/money with larger cards. SDX can only deal with 32MB partitions. A little 512MB-4GB CF card would probably be more than enough. In my dual-slot adapter I have a 128MB CF I had in a drawer and a 4GB CF MicroDrive (real spinning disk) I got for $3. Smaller microdrives are usually really cheap on eBay.

Sorry I am pretty high on C2H6O tonight, so excuse me if I am asking questions with obvious answers all over the place, but I am in no shape to do the simplest search tonight... :dunce:

The NSA took chemistry in high school too :-P