IGNORED

Is the IDE PLUS 2.0 still available (not at Lotharek)

Marius

Im telling you that the stripe is an ineffective way to indicate whether its plugged in corectly or not.. Theres no standard for which side the stripe goes on. (or not one that has been adhered to in the past)..

Its very HARD if you orient the interface the way you showed it in the picture to plug the cable in incorrectly.. You have to twist it.. even if you wrap it under the board and then back around over top, it still ends up with the right conductor corresponding to the right pin..

The way both connectors on that cable are designed, it does not matter which side of the connector the cable enters from, the odd wires will correspond to one row of pins (or one card edge side) and the even wires will correspond to the other.. In order to get this relationship reversed, you actually would have to TWIST THE CABLE..

So as long as your device is physically oriented (in relation to the atari) the way you showed it in the picture, and your cable isnt twisted, it is right. The stripe is not relevant..

Edited by MEtalGuy66

The stripe is not relevant..

Yes I've heard you the first time, I am not discussing the relevance of the red stripe, yes it's not relevant BUT it is there, Had you posted the same message you could have perhaps just said, "don't twist the cable and it will work". I just chose saying aligning it this way will make sure that the cable is connected properly without going into lengthy explanations.

Edited by atari8warez

What is your opinion on the LED issue, should it light up when there is CF activity?

That depends on the CF card (and whatever adaptors you are using) unfortunately.

I can tell you that it does light up on access with the notebook drives that I am using. However, the access LED is actually driven by pin 39 of the IDE device, itelf. Some CF cards do this, others don't.. This is from the original IDE standard, so CF manufacturers are under no real pressure to continue it. From my SIDE cart, I can tell you that some (most)CF cards drive the LED, but others dont.

Did anybody try using an IDE to SATA adaptor like this one to use a SATA drive with IDE Plus 2? If so what is your experience?

Thanks

There is limited clearance with the IDE +2.0, even a 2.5" IDE HDD or an IDE to CF adapter is close to the battery, I'm not certain but I believe this adapter would be unable to plug directly into the 44 pin female header due to the offset of the SATA and IDE ports, though it would probably work with a 44 conductor extension cable.

Did anybody try using an IDE to SATA adaptor like this one to use a SATA drive with IDE Plus 2? If so what is your experience?

Thanks

You could skip SATA and go right to mSATA. Just like with the CF cards, they make a 2.5" drive footprint to mSATA drive adapter and it would bolt right up to the IDE+. I haven't tried it myself yet on an 8bit but I do have a 32g mSATA drive and adapter on order that I was going to pair up with an internal IDE mod on one of my ST machines.

That depends on the CF card (and whatever adaptors you are using) unfortunately.

I can tell you that it does light up on access with the notebook drives that I am using. However, the access LED is actually driven by pin 39 of the IDE device, itelf. Some CF cards do this, others don't.. This is from the original IDE standard, so CF manufacturers are under no real pressure to continue it. From my SIDE cart, I can tell you that some (most)CF cards drive the LED, but others dont.

Ok thanks, so it's either CF card or the adaptor related, but giving the LED is ON when I connect my laptop HD it is probably CF card related.

Edited by atari8warez

There is limited clearance with the IDE +2.0, even a 2.5" IDE HDD or an IDE to CF adapter is close to the battery, I'm not certain but I believe this adapter would be unable to plug directly into the 44 pin female header due to the offset of the SATA and IDE ports, though it would probably work with a 44 conductor extension cable.

Yes you're right, there is clearance issue with many of the adapters I've seen browsing eBay. That's why, I made, what I can probably call "the first IDE Plus 2 mod". Nothing too fancy, it just involves moving the battery to somewhere else, namely to the solder side of the PCB. Here are the photos. There is not much to it other than being careful while de-soldering the battery and soldering it back. I wasn't able to trace where exactly the pad under the positive leg of the battery is connected, so I chose to simply run a wire from that pad to the back of the PCB. I re-used the via where the negative leg of the battery was originally soldered, only this time i inserted the leg from the solder side of the PCB.

This enables me to choose from a greater variety of adapters available.

post-15627-0-26580200-1377763598_thumb.jpg

post-15627-0-12017900-1377763600_thumb.jpg

post-15627-0-67466000-1377763601_thumb.jpg

post-15627-0-15971200-1377763603_thumb.jpg

Before anybody chimes in with a suggestion that i would have been better off using a battery holder and I agree, but I guess i'll do that when the battery needs replacement.

Edited by atari8warez

It is not the first ide+ 2.0 mod!

Stephen j carden already put a mod on his site for adding a 40 pin ide port on the interface :)

It appears to me that the IDE + 2.0 already has a standard 40 conductor pinout, there's just a 2.5" 44 pin right angle adapter board soldered to it.

There is also no need for a mod to connect a 40-pin IDE device, a 44-pin male to 40 pin female IDE cable is all that is required, The 3.5" drive would need it's own power supply since it would also require +12V.

Cables like this aren't common, but there are companies that deal in specialized items like this: http://www.cablesonline.com/9in44mato40f.html

They also have one that would allow connecting both a 2.5" & a 3.5" drive: http://www.cablesonline.com/12in44mato44.html

They also sell the ribbon cable and male/female connectors for those wishing to create custom cables.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was looking for a description and perhaps picture of the switches and buttons on the Rev D. Didn't see it in the manual, nor in this thread.

Closest I came was post #270 on page 11 in this thread. Is there a better diagram/explanation somewhere? (Even for features not yet supported in the firmware?)

-Larry

IDE Cables are 40 conductor for desktop drives, and 44 conductor for notebook drives...

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/89140-0101/MKC40A-ND/229698

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/152244-0100-GB/MSA44A-ND/229770

50 conductor cables are used for SCSI and for PBI connection to an XL computer.

The connectors on the end of the cables are known as "dual row IDC crimp connectors" if they plug onto a dual row pin header, and "card-edge IDC crimp conectors" if they plug onto the edge of a board as in the case of the XL PBI connector.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/89150-0101/MKC50A-ND/229699

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/3415-0001/MCE50K-ND/138696

Edited by MEtalGuy66

I was looking for a description and perhaps picture of the switches and buttons on the Rev D. Didn't see it in the manual, nor in this thread.

Closest I came was post #270 on page 11 in this thread. Is there a better diagram/explanation somewhere? (Even for features not yet supported in the firmware?)

-Larry

How detailed description do you need?

How detailed description do you need?

Just "this button/switch is for this function," and if currently implemented or for future use. A picture with numbers 1,2, etc. with a listing below would be really nice, but pretty much anything would be useful.

Thanks,

Larry

Some of the newer features are not working yet, since there is a BIOS update needed. From what I understand is Konrad working on it, but his time is limited and there were a few other reasons why things are not as fast as we are used from him.

Even without the extra feature(s) this device is doing very well here on my Atari 8bit. Although I must admit I would love to see them working. Especially the Interrupt button, and the ability to choose another partition or ATR on the fly would please me a lot.

But till then, I keep using this interface. It's the only non-serial-I/O based interface that gives max. compatibility on unmodified atari 8bit computer.