IGNORED

Princess Rescue Now Available!

Albert

Actually under US copyright law the game is mostly exempt because it can be considered a parody. Parodies are protected and that's why we see low bugdet rip off movies like the "Not Another" series. The precedent was set according to legend by George Washington. I'm sure I'll get the details wrong but the gist is that a cartoon was drawn of GW ridding a donkey with the caption saying "an ass heads to" but I can't remember where.

Nintendo is more liberal than people think anyway. They got a bad reputation for shutting down sites hosting roms of "antique" games but we have to realize that 1- it's their right and 2- the Virtual console was on the way at the time. Nyko exists today on Nintendo's mercy since they were allowed to blatantly ripp off their Wii-Motes and other devices as long as they put grip tape on them to alter their appearance.

edit--

Don't forget the Super Mario Crossover games which are allowed to exist simply because the content owners don't seem concerned.

Edited by mkiker2089
  • Like 1

Actually under US copyright law the game is mostly exempt because it can be considered a parody. Parodies are protected and that's why we see low bugdet rip off movies like the "Not Another" series. The precedent was set according to legend by George Washington. I'm sure I'll get the details wrong but the gist is that a cartoon was drawn of GW ridding a donkey with the caption saying "an ass heads to" but I can't remember where.

But do realize that while the names have been changed, the graphics and audio are basically ripped right out of Mario. Koji Kondo even got credited with creating the musical score. Did he give his consent to use his creative works? Even if it was legally kosher, Nintendo could still file a C&D and AtariAge would be forced to comply because the site doesn't have the monetary assets required to fight it in court, even if there was a good chance of winning. I hope and pray that never happens, because Sprybug is an awesome programmer and Princess Rescue is an awesome game. BTW, hooray for sonic!

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/212720-for-my-next-projectthat-sonic-thing/

I'd love to get some homebrews, but damn they are pricey.

PRICEY......Do you remember 1980/81/82??? Up to $50.00 for JUNK. Every homebrew, and most hack are well worth the price of admission. Homebrews for sure. The big picture is it is a much smaller consumer group buying atari anything now as compared to the early 80's. And getting games of the caliper/quality of the homebrews of late, $30.00 bucks less than we paid for some questionable ports back in the day, every one feels like a steal deal to me. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK HOMEBREWERS, AND ATARI-AGE!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PRICEY......Do you remember 1980/81/82??? Up to $50.00 for JUNK.

I don't know what the prices were before, but when I started buying games in 1982, most new games were in the 20s and 30s. The rest were usually way under 20 and tossed into wire bins. Atari Age magazine prices were usually higher than what you'd see at stores:

http://atariage.com/magazines/magazine_page.html?MagazineID=1&CurrentPage=9

I know I've got some games with price tags in the high $30s.

High 30s is as high as I ever saw (starting from 1982). Never saw any Atari 2600 cartridge that was close to 50 bucks in 1982.

This Sears commercial lists games from $19.99 to $37.99:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=m51pdle_e30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m51pdle_e30

I thought I remember when my mom bought me and my brother pitfall it was over 30 or maybe even over 40 ? Does anyone remember ?

I'd have to spend more time Googling to find better examples, but here's a magazine ad from back then:

Boy's Life from October of 1982 (Looks like that company was selling Pitfall for $23.99)

FWIW I looked in the 1983 Sears Holiday wishbook and for 2600 stuff most of the top games didn't go any higher than $34.99, with most of the good titles around $30. The Intellivsion and Odyssey II were about the same. The 5200 and ColecoVision went higher (into the 40s). Zaxxon was $49.99 for the CV.

So, really the point of my post was, We have great members/people, still willing to take THEIR time to make great, fun games, for the few, in the great scheme of things, of us who still love, play, look forward to new stuff being released for, OLD systems, at half the price of the day. This is the quickest proof I could dig out on $50.00 carts. I was off by a penny, uh o. I know for a fact Mom paid 50 for frogger, because I hear about it to this day.

MARCH 20 1984

post-33986-0-47784700-1369956315_thumb.jpgpost-33986-0-84695900-1369956392_thumb.jpg

I know for a fact Mom paid 50 for frogger, because I hear about it to this day.

If she paid 50 bucks for Atari 2600 Frogger, she got ripped off. It was $29.99 in this catalog:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wishbook/141013924/sizes/o/in/set-72057594058700769/

So, really the point of my post was, We have great members/people, still willing to take THEIR time to make great, fun games, for the few, in the great scheme of things, of us who still love, play, look forward to new stuff being released for, OLD systems, at half the price of the day. This is the quickest proof I could dig out on $50.00 carts. I was off by a penny, uh o. I know for a fact Mom paid 50 for frogger, because I hear about it to this day.

MARCH 20 1984

post-33986-0-47784700-1369956315_thumb.jpgpost-33986-0-84695900-1369956392_thumb.jpg

Just throwing this out there, but those are Atari 400/800 titles, not 2600.

Most of my Activision games are in the mid $20s. A lot of my games don't have prices, since the tags were probably on shrink-wrap. A few tags were hand-written, since I bought them at a small local store back-in-the-day. Asteroids was $29.99.

Gyruss is the highest price tag I still have at $39.99 (I remember buying it too, it was either buy that, or James Bond). Only a couple tags are over $30. Many of my games were bought post-crash, so they have multiple layers of price tags on them. Defender dropped from $27.99 to $1.99.

post-2641-0-91566700-1369958690_thumb.jpg post-2641-0-20498300-1369959221_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nathan Strum

MARCH 20 1984

Are those values in the scan (8k, 16k, 32k, 48k, etc...) kilobits, or kilobytes, or something entirely different? LOL, Nintendo never listed the ROM size of their games! :P

Are those values in the scan (8k, 16k, 32k, 48k, etc...) kilobits, or kilobytes, or something entirely different? LOL, Nintendo never listed the ROM size of their games! :P

Nintendo still doesn't list game size. On the Wii U you don't know how large a download is until you've already bought it, or just a step before finalizing payment at least.

Nintendo still doesn't list game size. On the Wii U you don't know how large a download is until you've already bought it, or just a step before finalizing payment at least.

IMO they should really list the file size on the info screen rather than making you almost finalize your purchase before backing out. Some people have bandwidth or storage limitations. There's a huge difference between a 150 megabyte indie game and a 15 gigabyte retail game. Getting off topic, but is there a file manager to check my storage capacity? I'm not worried at the moment because I bought the 32 gigabyte model and I generally don't download retail games. Edited by stardust4ever

Prices do change over time. Many games for the 2600 were available for years.

Yeah, but he was talking about 1980 through 1982. You'd have to go to some weird place like a mall record store (mentioned by FujiSkunk) to get ripped off for 50 bucks. Atari Age magazine was usually a lot more expensive than most stores and Vanguard (that FujiSkunk mentioned) was $26.95:

http://atariage.com/...&CurrentPage=19

This is my last post on this, I know I started it, but my point was CLEARLY missed.

Your point wasn't missed. Posts like yours can get stuck in people's heads and repeated enough until it becomes "common knowledge." Most new Atari 2600 games in 1982 were in the 20s and 30s. Anyone who cared about saving money in 1982 would never go to a place that sold Atari 2600 cartridges for 50 bucks. So getting back to your point, back in 1982 and 1983 when I was paying close attention at the age of 17 and 18, most people paid up to 40 bucks for junk (not 50).

Just throwing this out there, but those are Atari 400/800 titles, not 2600.

Yeah, but he was talking about 1980 through 1982. You'd have to go to some weird place like a mall record store (mentioned by FujiSkunk) to get ripped off for 50 bucks. Atari Age magazine was usually a lot more expensive than most stores and Vanguard was $26.95 in that:

http://atariage.com/...&CurrentPage=19

And as you can see, it clearly states, "New Lower Prices". Just like prices of modern video games go down over time, this would also have been the case for Atari 2600 games.

..Al