IGNORED

Princess Rescue Now Available!

Albert

And as you can see, it clearly states, "New Lower Prices". Just like prices of modern video games go down over time, this would also have been the case for Atari 2600 games.

But we're talking about a new game, not one that has been out for 2 years:

http://atariage.com/magazines/magazine_page.html?MagazineID=5&CurrentPage=8

I have a question about Princess Rescue I'm hoping Sprybug or anyone who's beaten the game may be able to help me with:

What is the trick to beating World 4-2? You can't jump to the flagpole because you get caught on the ceiling and drop short into the chasm. You can't simply run off the last ledge and drop down to the flagpole (or even the ledge it's on, in hopes of doing a wall jump) because it's too far away. And you can't bounce off of a bullet up to the flagpole because they disappear as soon as the flagpole comes into the screen.

I'm also noticing in World 4-2 that it seems to be almost impossible to get over the wall to reach the pipe at the end of the first half as Super or Fire Mario. I've done it, but it's very tricky and seemed to be more the result of a glitch than game-playing skill; it requires bouncing off of a bullet as close to and as far up the wall as possible and getting "stuck" at the top-left edge of the wall, and then turning to face left, which causes the game to dump you off the right edge of the wall (and into the pit in front of the pipe if you're not ready). It seems big Marios are incapable of simply walking across it, or jumping to it from the adjacent ledge. This wall is pretty easy to get over as Small Mario; I can just wall-jump up to the top of the wall (am I supposed to be able to do this, by the way?), walk over, and drop down. But Big Mario can't do any of that here.

I have a question about Princess Rescue I'm hoping Sprybug or anyone who's beaten the game may be able to help me with:

What is the trick to beating World 4-2? You can't jump to the flagpole because you get caught on the ceiling and drop short into the chasm. You can't simply run off the last ledge and drop down to the flagpole (or even the ledge it's on, in hopes of doing a wall jump) because it's too far away. And you can't bounce off of a bullet up to the flagpole because they disappear as soon as the flagpole comes into the screen.

I'm also noticing in World 4-2 that it seems to be almost impossible to get over the wall to reach the pipe at the end of the first half as Super or Fire Mario. I've done it, but it's very tricky and seemed to be more the result of a glitch than game-playing skill; it requires bouncing off of a bullet as close to and as far up the wall as possible and getting "stuck" at the top-left edge of the wall, and then turning to face left, which causes the game to dump you off the right edge of the wall (and into the pit in front of the pipe if you're not ready). It seems big Marios are incapable of simply walking across it, or jumping to it from the adjacent ledge. This wall is pretty easy to get over as Small Mario; I can just wall-jump up to the top of the wall (am I supposed to be able to do this, by the way?), walk over, and drop down. But Big Mario can't do any of that here.

Okay, a little update on this. I had been playing this on my Atari 7800 system when I experienced the issues I described above. On a hunch, I got out one of my 2600jr. units, thinking maybe there's something about Princess Rescue's expanded memory or something that the 7800 doesn't like. And, well, I'm here to report that there indeed seems to be something about Princess Rescue that the 7800 doesn't fully agree with. None of the problems I had when playing with the 7800 came up with the 2600. No getting stuck on ceilings, no big-Mario-can't-cross-the-4.2-wall, no dying when I jump off the top of the screen from a high block, or weird things like that. (Small Mario's ability to wall jump may be gone, though, although I didn't really try it.)

So I finally beat the game without incident and played a little bit into the Second Quest (which is great!...when does Princess Rescue: The Lost Levels come out? :-D ). The bad news is, unless somebody knows something I don't, Princess Rescue is actually impossible to finish when played in an Atari 7800, apparently due to some minor but crucial incompatibility. You literally cannot get past World 4-2.

The bad news is, unless somebody knows something I don't, Princess Rescue is actually impossible to finish when played in an Atari 7800, apparently due to some minor but crucial incompatibility. You literally cannot get past World 4-2.

Unfortunately, 7800 consoles aren't very consistent, and I've seen weird compatibility issues that only affect some 7800 systems. Atari had issues with some of their games on the 7800, and there a few third-party games don't run on some 7800s as well. It's possible that this only affects a small subset of 7800 systems.

..Al

• Like 1

Okay, a little update on this. I had been playing this on my Atari 7800 system when I experienced the issues I described above. On a hunch, I got out one of my 2600jr. units, thinking maybe there's something about Princess Rescue's expanded memory or something that the 7800 doesn't like. And, well, I'm here to report that there indeed seems to be something about Princess Rescue that the 7800 doesn't fully agree with. None of the problems I had when playing with the 7800 came up with the 2600. No getting stuck on ceilings, no big-Mario-can't-cross-the-4.2-wall, no dying when I jump off the top of the screen from a high block, or weird things like that. (Small Mario's ability to wall jump may be gone, though, although I didn't really try it.)

So I finally beat the game without incident and played a little bit into the Second Quest (which is great!...when does Princess Rescue: The Lost Levels come out? :-D ). The bad news is, unless somebody knows something I don't, Princess Rescue is actually impossible to finish when played in an Atari 7800, apparently due to some minor but crucial incompatibility. You literally cannot get past World 4-2.

Yeah, leave it to the ol' Atari 7800. I don't have one so I'm not able to test with that system and yeah just like Albert said, there's compatibility issues with some games on some models. It's weird what it does to you though! I think playing it on that 7800 is like playing the lost levels. NEAR IMPOSSIBLE. ;)

• Like 2

Yeah, leave it to the ol' Atari 7800. I don't have one so I'm not able to test with that system and yeah just like Albert said, there's compatibility issues with some games on some models. It's weird what it does to you though! I think playing it on that 7800 is like playing the lost levels. NEAR IMPOSSIBLE. ;)

On my 7800, though, Princess Rescue actually IS impossible. Or seems to be, at least, and I consider myself a pretty decent player (I just played through Quest B twice in a row on a 2600jr. without having to continue). Lost Levels/SMB2j is just hard as balls. :-D

Anyway, I just wanted to point all this out because I know a lot people just use 7800s to run 2600 cartridges. They may have problems as well.

If it makes any difference, my 7800 has the expansion interface. Maybe the ones without it won't have these issues?

I'm glad I didn't go with my initial choice and buy a 7800.

Spry, I've noticed a few things and just want to confirm.

1- difficulty "a" is just more lives correct? Other games use a as a more difficult mode so I wanted to make sure

2- are items random?

3- the game autodetects a genesis controller, or so it seems. I didn't think that was possible.

I'm glad I didn't go with my initial choice and buy a 7800.

Spry, I've noticed a few things and just want to confirm.

1- difficulty "a" is just more lives correct? Other games use a as a more difficult mode so I wanted to make sure

2- are items random?

3- the game autodetects a genesis controller, or so it seems. I didn't think that was possible.

Yep, you pretty much nailed it. The reason why I did what I did with the difficulty switch, in a sense reversing the function, is because most people have their Atari's difficulty switch defaulted in the novice position. I wanted the 2 extra lives to be a special thing in case you were having a hard time, which is why you have to switch it to expert to get them.

Items are random. In fact here's a hint. To get special items from regular blocks, be sure there are no enemies on the screen. If there are enemies (or another player 1 sprite) on the screen, you can not get a special item. Once they are off the screen, you have a chance on getting a special item, albeit rare.

The Genesis controller is auto detected because one of the first things the game does is check if a certain pin on the controller is high. If so, that means that the Genesis controller is plugged in, any other controller and it would be low. The reason for the autodetect, is because it has to map out how that second function (run/fire) works from the get go.

• Like 1

On my 7800, though, Princess Rescue actually IS impossible. Or seems to be, at least, and I consider myself a pretty decent player (I just played through Quest B twice in a row on a 2600jr. without having to continue). Lost Levels/SMB2j is just hard as balls. :-D

Anyway, I just wanted to point all this out because I know a lot people just use 7800s to run 2600 cartridges. They may have problems as well.

If it makes any difference, my 7800 has the expansion interface. Maybe the ones without it won't have these issues?

There's information somewhere about compatibility with the different models, which games, and what to look for on the unit to figure out which one you have. It's rather in the Atari 2600 or Atari 7800 FAQ.

• Like 1

Just did a quick test run, Sprybug, you knocked it out of the park. I just had x-mas, "87" flashbacks big time. JOB VERY WELL DONE, Look forward to more!!! One last note, I ordered tues, around 5p.m. est., and I'm playing it right now 4p.m. est. sat. That must be a well oiled machine you run there at the "AA" store. I always place my orders with confidence, But WOW, just WOW thats fast. Tex- Penna. in 93hr. BIG THANKS, Will definitely rate after I get some game time in.

• Like 1

I just passed 4-2 with no problems on my bad 7800.

This bad 7800 doesn't play my clone CCE carts (they don't fit properly), doesn't play starpath supercharger games, Boulder Dash, Star Castle (from cd-w) etc.

But, as Albert said, 7800 aren't consistent and I hope only a few 7800 will have compatibility issues with Princess Rescue.

Lid, you lucky gamer, getting to be a "tester" and getting props in the manual. My loose cart and manual just showed up!!!! GAME-ON ;-) ;-) ;-)

I didn't know that :). Sweet! :-D

I'm short of money right now but I will get a cartridge as soon as possible (PR already was in my list).

• Like 1

I must admit that I don't keep up with the 2600 homebrew scene very much, and I just discovered this little gem. Are there any copies left, with or without box?

I believe the unboxed copies will continue to be available. Only the boxed copies were limited.

There are lots of other gems in the 2600 homebrew scene !

True, but the unboxed version is still available in the store. It's crazy how the boxed copies sold fast. Is the ROM going to be available on the AtariAge forums now that the boxed version is sold out? Even if it isn't, I'm excited that the game is selling well.

Edited by BrianC