IGNORED

Princess Rescue Now Available!

Albert

I don't know what the prices were before, but when I started buying games in 1982, most new games were in the 20s and 30s. The rest were usually way under 20 and tossed into wire bins. Atari Age magazine prices were usually higher than what you'd see at stores:

http://atariage.com/...1&CurrentPage=9

In 1982,"new games are in the 20s and 30s" meant $48.19 to $93.98 in today's money. Princess Rescue was $50. In 1982, that would be $20.75. That is cheap.

In 1982,"new games are in the 20s and 30s" meant $48.19 to $93.98 in today's money. Princess Rescue was $50. In 1982, that would be $20.75. That is cheap.

I'm not saying it isn't. I just wanted to nip the 50 dollar thing in the bud before it had a chance to spread.

I'm not saying it isn't. I just wanted to nip the 50 dollar thing in the bud before it had a chance to spread.

It just seems more like nipping a number in the bud than the price. If I said,"Modern game systems are PRICEY,.... Do you remember 1977??? $763.59 for the Atari VCS." then you could nip that in the bud by pointing out that it was $199. But $199 is $763.59 today just like $20.75 in 1982 is $50 today.

It just seems more like nipping a number in the bud than the price. If I said,"Modern game systems are PRICEY,.... Do you remember 1977??? $763.59 for the Atari VCS." then you could nip that in the bud by pointing out that it was $199. But $199 is $763.59 today just like $20.75 in 1982 is $50 today.

And don't forget, the PS3 was $599 when it first came out! :P Most modern games are $60 as well, so it's really not a bad deal at all. ;) Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

And it would be correct to nip that in the bud too. We don't have to exaggerate the cost of things in 1982 or 1977. For people who weren't rich or upper middle class back in 1982, it was difficult to come up with nearly 40 bucks for a high-priced new game. Luckily, a lot of new games were in the 20s and low 30s. Still not easy, but easier than 40.

And it would be correct to nip that in the bud too. We don't have to exaggerate the cost of things in 1982 or 1977. For people who weren't rich or upper middle class back in 1982, it was difficult to come up with nearly 40 bucks for a high-priced new game. Luckily, a lot of new games were in the 20s and low 30s. Still not easy, but easier than 40.

It's not exaggeration. Those are the actual prices adjusted for inflation. It reflects the purchasing power behind the numbers. I agree that it was difficult to come up with nearly 40 bucks for a high-priced new game because that is almost 100 bucks in today's money. I'm saying that craftsmanMIKE was pretty accurate in his point when he said,"PRICEY......Do you remember 1980/81/82??? Up to $50.00 for JUNK." I'm not saying he was accurate in the sense that there were $50 price tags on games but in the purchasing power of $50. If you bought a new game in 1982 for $20.75(what you consider the low end) and Princess Rescue for $50 then even though the numbers are different you spent the same amount of money. The average price in the store is $25. That is equivalent to $10.37 in 1982. Would $10 have been cheap back then for a new game? If so then that is how much you can get a new game now in 1982 money. Therefore, I understand why craftsmanMIKE was surprised when 2600Guru referred to homebrews as pricey. They are higher quality games and are cheaper than what you would have paid in 1982 for a new game.

It's not exaggeration. Those are the actual prices adjusted for inflation.

I'm not talking about your inflation numbers. I'm talking about exaggerating about the actual prices back then. We don't have to puff up the actual prices that most people paid back then to compare to the prices today.

They are higher quality games and are cheaper than what you would have paid in 1982 for a new game.

I already know this and it has nothing to do with making sure it's clear to people reading this thread, who may not have even been fetuses in 1982, that most people weren't paying up to 50 bucks for new Atari 2600 games in 1982. Now they know, If they didn't know before. There's no need to keep beating a dead horse that has been beaten so much that it's a blood-splattered skeleton.

I'm not talking about your inflation numbers. I'm talking about exaggerating about the actual prices back then. We don't have to puff up the actual prices that most people paid back then to compare to the prices today.

I already know this and it has nothing to do with making sure it's clear to people reading this thread, who may not have even been fetuses in 1982, that most people weren't paying up to 50 bucks for new Atari 2600 games in 1982. Now they know, If they didn't know before. There's no need to keep beating a dead horse that has been beaten so much that it's a blood-splattered skeleton.

But they might not also know that when you compare prices over time you have to adjust for inflation because the value of the dollar changes. It adds more clarification to craftsmanMIKE's quote and the point he was trying to make about how cheap homebrews are. If we just compare the price tags it may give the impression that homebrews are around the same price as new games back then. Without this clarification you correcting craftsmanMIKE's number would appear to be refuting his entire point.

I can understand you wanting to correct his number before bad info spreads but bad info about inflation has already spread. I can't count how many times I've heard someone say something like,"Wow! Bread was only 5 cents back then! That is cheap!" If we want to compare how expensive homebrews are to original games then we have to adjust for inflation. The only times you don't adjust for inflation is when you are comparing prices from the same time.

Is there a trick to get to the pipe at the end of 2-1? Looks like it's covered with bricks and the one gap is only one brick high which is too small for the character to run through. Tried testing all of the pipes along the way and none of them seem to work.

Kick the Koopa shell to bust bricks.

I can understand you wanting to correct his number before bad info spreads but bad info about inflation has already spread. I can't count how many times I've heard someone say something like,"Wow! Bread was only 5 cents back then! That is cheap!" If we want to compare how expensive homebrews are to original games then we have to adjust for inflation. The only times you don't adjust for inflation is when you are comparing prices from the same time.

Feel free to mention inflation all you want, but the dude wasn't talking about inflation. He was talking about actual prices. You can compare a real high price that most people would have to pay for certain games in 1982 such as $37.99 plus tax to whatever it would be today (probably around $94). That's a big enough number.

Feel free to mention inflation all you want, but the dude wasn't talking about inflation. He was talking about actual prices. You can compare a real high price that most people would have to pay for certain games in 1982 such as $37.99 plus tax to whatever it would be today (probably around $94). That's a big enough number.

The purchasing power is the actual price. Correcting a price tag by $12 doesn't do much to add clarity to comparing the prices of homebrews sold in 2013 to games sold in 1982. If the homebrews in the store were sold for the same price in 1982 the price tags would have $10.37 on them. Dr. Evil could be reading this and not realize how cheap homebrews are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z-AxgueBRk

are there any plans for a pal version?

Additional Information

Princess Rescue includes the game cartridge with glossy label and sixteen page full-color, glossy manual.

Princess Rescue is NTSC only.

Aparently not. All that would be needed for a PAL60 version is to change the color pallet. If Sprybug doesn't want to do it, I'm sure a trusted member could hack in the necessary changes to update it.

Aparently not. All that would be needed for a PAL60 version is to change the color pallet. If Sprybug doesn't want to do it, I'm sure a trusted member could hack in the necessary changes to update it.

That is true. I could talk to Albert and see what he thinks about doing a PAL release. It'd take some time to go over all the lines of code (cuz there's a LOT) to change all the colors to match the NTSC palette or as close as I can get to it (not all the colors are available in a PAL palette).

• Like 1

That is true. I could talk to Albert and see what he thinks about doing a PAL release. It'd take some time to go over all the lines of code (cuz there's a LOT) to change all the colors to match the NTSC palette or as close as I can get to it (not all the colors are available in a PAL palette).

This interactive chart can help:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-tia-color-charts.html#ntsc_pal_color_conversion

Interesting. It seems that the NTSC pallet has lighter lights and darker darks; as well with overall higher saturation too. PAL doesn't seem to have any option for a true yellow either. Wierd also that the PAL colors appear collated on the charts.

Thanks. I knew there was a color that wasn't represented in the PAL palette (Yellow), but this chart will help a lot instead of me trying to figure out the closest thing. As for yellow, I'm gonna have to figure something close. Firey Mario isn't going to look the same. I do plan on doing a PAL60 version. I talked to Al today and he'd be willing to sell a PAL60 version. This will take some time away from Zippy the Porcupine, which I'm not too far away from releasing a demo level of, but it shouldn't take too long to do this.

• Like 1