IGNORED

MS Clarifies Xbox One Features

xg4bx

PS4: No DRM, no used game restrictions, more powerful, $100 cheaper.

Xbone: DOA

It only seemed like yesterday we hated the PS3 due to the super-high price, some bad PR from executives, and a trickle of games. Looks like they learned their lessons from the past, and from current peers making new mistakes.

It only seemed like yesterday we hated the PS3 due to the super-high price, some bad PR from executives, and a trickle of games. Looks like they learned their lessons from the past, and from current peers making new mistakes.

Not to sound like a pessimist, but I honestly hope this is them learning lessons and not just drawing us in only to screw their customers over later on. You never know - they may decide to implement all this stuff after people have bought the console.

• Like 1

One thing about the 24hr "check in" required by MS that really bothers me is what about those serving in the military?? Whether they have boots on the ground or are ship based, they could be losing out big time if they don't have the internet signal their XB1 needs.

They'll just get a PS4.

I have a question: I read about Xbox One Launch Day version selling out through some retailers and out of curiosity checked Amazon. They still have it for pre-order but I noticed one thing in their ad that stumped me:

"The Xbox One "Day One Edition" console includes a commemorative controller, token code to unlock an exclusive Day One achievement, and premium packaging at no additional cost. "

What the hell is "premium packaging"???????

(Note: I looked at GameStop and they have the Day One version available also, though they are selling the system only in bundles... typical GameStop)

Edited by Mendon

I have a question: I read about Xbox One Launch Day version selling out through some retailers and out of curiosity checked Amazon. They still have it for pre-order but I noticed one thing in their ad that stumped me:

"The Xbox One "Day One Edition" console includes a commemorative controller, token code to unlock an exclusive Day One achievement, and premium packaging at no additional cost. "

So let me get this straight. They've made gaming 100% disposable, and then sell collector editions. What good is a collection of anything that has a fixed lifespan of a decade or less? The collectible 360/ps3 games were confusing enough to me because of their disposability--but at least in 10 years, you might get the thing to turn on and start up (there'd be f all to do in the game, but at least it'd run). So in 10 years, what does one do with a sealed, limited edition xbone? Put a bucket on its head and swing off the handle?

Edited by Reaperman

So here's how xbone collecting/reselling might work:

Game goes on clearance, individual buys game and waits a year.

Game, then years out of print, becomes valuable thanks to the high fees for running used ones. (A sealed game should be worth at least what that fee is or the cost of the downloadable version whichever is less)

Reseller profits (barely) and hopes to god he doesn't get stuck with a stack of sealed and useless xbone games when xbone2 comes out.

Reselling could be like collecting--but the goal is not to be stuck with anything at the end. So in that way, it's pretty much nothing like it.

Edited by Reaperman

So let me get this straight. They've made gaming 100% disposable, and then sell collector editions. What good is a collection of anything that has a fixed lifespan of a decade or less? The collectible 360/ps3 games were confusing enough to me because of their disposability--but at least in 10 years, you might get the thing to turn on and start up (there'd be f all to do in the game, but at least it'd run). So in 10 years, what does one do with a sealed, limited edition xbone? Put a bucket on its head and swing off the handle?

You'll still be able to watch DVDs and Blu-rays with it 30 years from now.

(Note: I looked at GameStop and they have the Day One version available also, though they are selling the system only in bundles... typical GameStop)

I'm thinking it's like the release day 360 that had the chrome dvd tray cover and came with the media remote. I assume this has something to make it different from ones shipped after release day.

The chrome DVD tray cover was to differentiate the premium 20 gig model from the model without a hard drive. It eventually disappeared before the slim model that was just replaced was launched. But my 20 gig model bought new on Black Friday a year after launch still had it.

It wasn't a release day bonus.

Edited by Atariboy

Yeah, all Premiums had the Chrome tray. My post launch had it and the one I bought in 2008 just before they stopped selling them has it. The mini-remote was a launch day bonus but it is pretty puny compared to the full size one that you could end up purchasing. I guess something is better than nothing.